A99 on short trip to TOKYO

Started Apr 10, 2013 | Discussions
chris yap
New MemberPosts: 24Gear list
Like?
A99 on short trip to TOKYO
Apr 10, 2013

Hi all,

Went to tokyo last week and did a shoot using the A99. Brought along 2 lens with me.just to share what the A99 is capable to do for real world shooting and not here for pixel / sharpness comparison.

1) SIGMA 50mm F1.4 - i simply love this lens

2) Carl Zeiss 24mm F2 for certain situation that is tight or when the needs call for it.

i notice not many people using the carl zeiss 24mm F2 on the A99. not sure why, i initially wanted the Sigma 35mm F1.4 but it keeps delaying for its launch.

Pictures have been post process in Lightroom 4. hope you enjoy the pics!

http://chrisyapphoto.com/blog/2013/4/6/tokyo-2013

Chris

chris yap's gear list:chris yap's gear list
Sony SLT-A99 Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sony 24mm F2 SSM Carl Zeiss Distagon T*
Sony SLT-A99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
chris yap
Like?
Re: A99 on short trip to TOKYO
In reply to chris yap, Apr 10, 2013

Will post some pics on this thread soon! not suppose to post my link there i guess, din know until i read the rules. pardon my mistakes. new to the forum!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Harry Lew
Senior MemberPosts: 1,629
Like?

Inspiring set of photos. Great composition and range of subject matter. However, I'm a bit curious about the hazy, low-contrast look of most of these. Did you add that in post-processing? If so, not sure what the point is of using expensive, high-grade lenses when the output is softened so greatly. No disrespect intended. Just curious about your intentions and processing.

-- hide signature --

Harry Lew
'Buying gear is easy. What's hard is paying for it.'
http://harryjohn.smugmug.com/

lim yau tong
Senior MemberPosts: 2,914Gear list
Like?
Nice shots..

but contrast need to be improved.

lim yau tong's gear list:lim yau tong's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A350 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony Alpha DSLR-A550 Sony SLT-A55 Sony SLT-A77 +25 more
Maxxuman
Senior MemberPosts: 1,499
Like?
In reply to Harry Lew, Apr 10, 2013

Harry Lew wrote:

Inspiring set of photos. Great composition and range of subject matter. However, I'm a bit curious about the hazy, low-contrast look of most of these. Did you add that in post-processing? If so, not sure what the point is of using expensive, high-grade lenses when the output is softened so greatly. No disrespect intended. Just curious about your intentions and processing.

I'm with Harry - I don't like the hazy look either or understand why you'd take a camera and lens combo capable of high image quality and then do that to the photos.  Is it a current trend, and if so couldn't you get the same sort of results with a phone camera?  I agree with the positives Harry mentioned also.

-- hide signature --

Barry

chris yap
Like?
In reply to Harry Lew, Apr 10, 2013

Hi Harry,

Thank you for taking your time to view my pictures, complimenting as well as providing feedback to help me improve.

To answer your question with regards to the looks/colors - i am using VSCO 3 in light room 4.

I have decided on a more controversial / extreme approach, it was a personal decision to take the pictures towards a more faded wash out effect that i felt was towards my art direction for this shoot.

Yes the gears aren't cheap but they do help in times when the face with a challenging situation / low light or should i require the picture to be sharp-i understand this part is very debatable and i am guilty of having expensive gear that i might not push them to their fullest capability.

I understand that my style might be abit too extreme - there fore i would take everyone's feedback  into account and do a personal reflection and decide on what is best for the next shoot!

i appreciate to all the bro/professional's out here who took their time to look!

thank you Harry! Cheers! i hope that i have given you some insight on my honest answer!

Best regards

Chris

rio911
Contributing MemberPosts: 956Gear list
Like?

Hi Chris,

I have mixed feelings about your photos and I do appreciate that you tried to be unique and different!

So I'm only going to say that your composition seems to be fine, lots of your photos explore different points of view.

Keep'em coming,

rio

rio911's gear list:rio911's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony 50mm F1.4 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM
chris yap
Like?
In reply to Maxxuman, Apr 10, 2013

Maxxuman wrote:

Harry Lew wrote:

I'm with Harry - I don't like the hazy look either or understand why you'd take a camera and lens combo capable of high image quality and then do that to the photos.  Is it a current trend, and if so couldn't you get the same sort of results with a phone camera?  I agree with the positives Harry mentioned also.

-- hide signature --

Barry

Hi Barry,

thank you for the complimenting on positives on my pictures and giving constructive feedback on my colours.

i have provided a more detail explanation on another post to Harry on the colour and tone.

Yes i am towards that trend of people who are following a movement to emulate film as i am gear more towards film emulation rather then towards OOC type of picture.i will take your feedback on the colours!

With regards to getting the same sort of results with a phone camera- i agreed that you might achieve a similar tone / with phone apps. but a camera hp quality would nv be anywhere near using a SLR to shoot and the results would be very obvious when you develop the picture into anything above 8R or simply just by looking from the computer monitor.

A camera hp/app can nv replicate that beautiful bokeh of a 50mm or any prime shot thru an SLR.

Cheers Barry!

Chris

chris yap
Like?
Re: Nice shots..
In reply to lim yau tong, Apr 10, 2013

lim yau tong wrote:

but contrast need to be improved.

Hi there Yau tong.

noted and will improve on contrast!

thanks!

chris yap
Like?
In reply to rio911, Apr 10, 2013

rio911 wrote:

Hi Chris,

I have mixed feelings about your photos and I do appreciate that you tried to be unique and different!

So I'm only going to say that your composition seems to be fine, lots of your photos explore different points of view.

Keep'em coming,

rio

Hi Rio,

no worries! feel free to compliment!. i understand that we all have our own views and opinions on what we deem as something we like.

Anyway appreciate your encouragement on the composition! looks like i got to re-look in toning down on the colours.

thanks!

Chris

Maxxuman
Senior MemberPosts: 1,499
Like?

chris yap wrote:

Maxxuman wrote:

Harry Lew wrote:

-- hide signature --

Barry

Hi Barry,

thank you for the complimenting on positives on my pictures and giving constructive feedback on my colours.

i have provided a more detail explanation on another post to Harry on the colour and tone.

Yes i am towards that trend of people who are following a movement to emulate film as i am gear more towards film emulation rather then towards OOC type of picture.i will take your feedback on the colours!

With regards to getting the same sort of results with a phone camera- i agreed that you might achieve a similar tone / with phone apps. but a camera hp quality would nv be anywhere near using a SLR to shoot and the results would be very obvious when you develop the picture into anything above 8R or simply just by looking from the computer monitor.

A camera hp/app can nv replicate that beautiful bokeh of a 50mm or any prime shot thru an SLR.

Cheers Barry!

Chris

OK, understood - each to their own I guess.  The only thing I'd say is that even in film days hazy photos were something most (admittedly not all) photographers tried to avoid most of the time.  Of course you have the option should your tastes change in the future to revisit your RAW files and try something different with them, which couldn't be done with a phone.  And you're right about bokeh and low light performance.

-- hide signature --

Barry

chris yap
Like?
In reply to Maxxuman, Apr 10, 2013

Maxxuman wrote:

chris yap wrote:

Maxxuman wrote:

Harry Lew wrote:

-- hide signature --

Barry

Hi Barry,

Cheers Barry!

Chris

OK, understood - each to their own I guess.  The only thing I'd say is that even in film days hazy photos were something most (admittedly not all) photographers tried to avoid most of the time.  Of course you have the option should your tastes change in the future to revisit your RAW files and try something different with them, which couldn't be done with a phone.  And you're right about bokeh and low light performance.

-- hide signature --

Barry

Hi Barry,

No worries! i have to say i really appreciate to all of you for really discussing with me on how to improve. there fore i would really put my time and effort as well to really respond to everyone's feedback if possible and take all ur feedback seriously.

i agreed with you too! sometimes what appeal to me now might not appeal to me tomorrow! therefore the original Raw file would be kept/ archive properly by me and if down the road hey who knows i might change again but i have that sharp and neutral RAW file there ready to be edited!

posted the link just to showcase to a newer generation of user that the A99 is an extremely capable camera that can shoot very good OOC pic as shown by all Bros here or if possible do something crazy like what i did.

Cheers Barry!!

Chris

chris yap
Like?

chris yap wrote:

rio911 wrote:

Hi Chris,

Keep'em coming,

rio

Hi Rio,

no worries! feel free to compliment!. i understand that we all have our own views and opinions on what we deem as something we like.

Anyway appreciate your encouragement on the composition! looks like i got to re-look in toning down on the colours.

thanks!

Chris

Hi Rio,

Sorry for my Typo-what i meant is-feel free to comment! opps!

OntarioJohn
Senior MemberPosts: 1,959Gear list
Like?

Yes culturally the rage in Japan seems towards 'overuse' of Instagram and filter things in post processing to take contrast out.

The opposite seems true of this end of the world, where we try and get what we see exactly.

I like the shots, the long line of cherry trees was very beautiful.

We indeed see through the glass in a different fashion.

-- hide signature --

John D. Conley nemo me impune lacessit
Take some shots and SHARE...more fun that peeping at pixels at some crazy ISO!!!

OntarioJohn's gear list:OntarioJohn's gear list
Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +3 more
Stflbn
Senior MemberPosts: 1,328Gear list
Like?

Not a fan of the  Low-Fi post processing.    Makes them look like they came from Instagram.

IMHO.

Stflbn's gear list:Stflbn's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS +5 more
rithex
Forum MemberPosts: 85
Like?

composition looks good, but the cheap instagram-retro style processing doesn't..

chris yap
Like?
In reply to OntarioJohn, Apr 10, 2013

OntarioJohn wrote:

Yes culturally the rage in Japan seems towards 'overuse' of Instagram and filter things in post processing to take contrast out.

The opposite seems true of this end of the world, where we try and get what we see exactly.

I like the shots, the long line of cherry trees was very beautiful.

We indeed see through the glass in a different fashion.

-- hide signature --

John D. Conley nemo me impune lacessit
Take some shots and SHARE...more fun that peeping at pixels at some crazy ISO!!!

Hi there John,

thank you, Tokyo is a very beautiful place. a pity that when i was there the sakura was at its end and many tree had withered.

yes indeed we see the world differently, thats why photography is unique from one photographer to the other. we all choose our art direction and it might not appeal to all. i am here to learn and to correct / tone down certain aspect as what everyone have commented but not to completely change and divert from what i had initially intended too.

thank you John once more

Chris

nordicphotog
Forum MemberPosts: 67
Like?

I'm no pro, but I must admit I liked the hazy look on a few of the pictures, especially where it contrasted with very sharp details! Instagram-like for sure, but with a fantastic clarity I thought it was rather good

Like _DSC3134.jpg or _DSC3132.jpg !

Timothy Hans
Junior MemberPosts: 41Gear list
Like?

Nice pics!

Timothy Hans's gear list:Timothy Hans's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +10 more
dpyy
Contributing MemberPosts: 877
Like?

chris yap wrote:

Hi all,

Went to tokyo last week and did a shoot using the A99. Brought along 2 lens with me.just to share what the A99 is capable to do for real world shooting and not here for pixel / sharpness comparison.

1) SIGMA 50mm F1.4 - i simply love this lens

2) Carl Zeiss 24mm F2 for certain situation that is tight or when the needs call for it.

i notice not many people using the carl zeiss 24mm F2 on the A99. not sure why, i initially wanted the Sigma 35mm F1.4 but it keeps delaying for its launch.

Pictures have been post process in Lightroom 4. hope you enjoy the pics!

http://chrisyapphoto.com/blog/2013/4/6/tokyo-2013

Chris

Nice pics, are they all processed using VSCO 3? And the same effect? I particularly liked the last one, it's not too hazy but can see the effect applied. What processing did you do?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads