Using Elinchrom Dlite 4 with octabox for video key light?

Started Apr 10, 2013 | Discussions
dpasghar
Junior MemberPosts: 44
Like?
Using Elinchrom Dlite 4 with octabox for video key light?
Apr 10, 2013

Sorry to sound like a newb, but I know someone who wants to shoot a short video interview and I was wondering if using this combo would work well? I know when I've left the strobe on it gives off a sorta warm glow anything I can do to change that? Thanks

BAK
BAK
Forum ProPosts: 19,011
Like?
Semi-good answer
In reply to dpasghar, Apr 10, 2013

I don't have the flash, so can't says for sure, in regard to nit-picks, but..

Yes, the modeling lights from a studio flash can be used to shoot video.

Check for a fan; if the unit makes noise, take this into account when setting up a mic.

Experiement with color balance.

If sound allows,closer is better than farther away.

I use a Dynalite flash with a non-fan head for some video work myself.

BAK

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Kirk Tuck
Senior MemberPosts: 1,929Gear list
Like?
Re: Semi-good answer
In reply to BAK, Apr 11, 2013

I own the Elinchrom D-Lite 4's and I would have to say they would be a bad choice for this use. They do have built in, thermostatic fans which will come on pretty quickly if put into an Octabank and are fairly noisy, ie: they will be heard in any dialog or sound recording. Also, being basically plastic lights they are limited to using 100 watt tungsten bulbs which, when knocked down two stops by the Octabank would be pretty darn dim. Finally, since they are not halogen bulbs the color temp is down in the 2600-2800K range which means more noise in the blue channel. You will have to do a CWB to have neutral color. All in all you'd be better off going to a big hardware store, buying a $50 halogen worklight kit (500 watts) and aiming the lights through some inexpensive white diffusion material....like a white sheet spread between two light stands.

-- hide signature --

Austin based advertising and portrait photographer, and author of the book series, Minimalist Lighting, and the books: Commercial Photographers Handbook, Photographic Lighting Equipment, and, LED Lighting for Digital Photographers. www.kirktuck.com

Kirk Tuck's gear list:Kirk Tuck's gear list
Nikon D2Xs Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Nikon D7100 Samsung Galaxy NX +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads