D800 Noise

Started Apr 10, 2013 | Discussions
hypercore360
Contributing MemberPosts: 860Gear list
Like?
Re: D800 Noise
In reply to flyfish23, Apr 11, 2013

flyfish23 wrote:

I have a new D800 with updated firmware and I'm seeing noise at ISO 320 and 800.  IS this normal or do I have a setting deep inside the menu that i need to turn off?

It doesn't seem to be all that clean.

Any suggestions?

Really, the first thing is to upload some pictures that you speak of. Show samples at 320 & 800 and also at other ISOs (200, 400, 1000, 1600). Picture is worth a 1000 words, rather than describing it, we need to see what you're talking about.

Curious, what camera were you using before the D800?

hypercore360's gear list:hypercore360's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon D90 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
falconeyes
Contributing MemberPosts: 864
Like?
The truth about D800 Noise

In RAW, D800 and 5DmkII have identical pixel noise at identical shooting parameters, after image brightness is made to match. This is a fact established by several testing laboratories, incl. DxO.

However, because the D800 has many more pixels, the D800 wins hands down in image noise.

Moreover, even at the pixel level, the D800 has MUCH better dynamic range at all ISO. So, if you look at the noise in darker parts of your images, the diference will be stunning.

FW has nothing to do with it. It only effects the rendition of JPGs out of the camera.

However, the raw converter DOES play a role here, esp. if honoring in-camera noise suppression settings. You are comparing using the same raw converter, do you?

Yes, visible pixel noise at ISO 400 and above is normal and has always been. But with 36MP, you have to go to very high ISO to see it in a printed image.

AZBlue
Contributing MemberPosts: 865Gear list
Like?
In reply to Daniel Lauring, Apr 11, 2013

Daniel Lauring wrote:
As far as your question, like I said in my earlier post, it is not odd for a smaller sized individual sensor to demonstrate more noise than a larger one.  This is true when you compare Nikon's own D600 against the D800.  However, overall, the noise is equal or lower because the additional pixels.  The noise will only be greater if you crop the D800 compared to not cropping the 5D Mk2.

Don't the D600, D800 and 5D Mk2 all have full frame sensors?

-- hide signature --

"I've been in more laps than a napkin" - Mae West

AZBlue's gear list:AZBlue's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM +1 more
Daniel Lauring
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,473Gear list
Like?
In reply to AZBlue, Apr 11, 2013

AZBlue wrote:

Daniel Lauring wrote:
As far as your question, like I said in my earlier post, it is not odd for a smaller sized individual sensor to demonstrate more noise than a larger one.  This is true when you compare Nikon's own D600 against the D800.  However, overall, the noise is equal or lower because the additional pixels.  The noise will only be greater if you crop the D800 compared to not cropping the 5D Mk2.

Don't the D600, D800 and 5D Mk2 all have full frame sensors?

"Individual sensor size."  A little confusing but I was referring to the size of the individual pixels in the sensor.  The larger the pixel, the higher the signal to noise ratio.

Daniel Lauring's gear list:Daniel Lauring's gear list
Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
Raul
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,491Gear list
Like?
Flyfish flew

indeed

-- hide signature --

"There is not a thin line between love and hate. There is - in fact - a Great Wall of China with armed sentries posted every 20 feet between love and hate." (House)

flyfish23
New MemberPosts: 9
Like?
Re: Flyfish flew
In reply to Raul, Apr 12, 2013

Raul wrote:

indeed

-- hide signature --

"There is not a thin line between love and hate. There is - in fact - a Great Wall of China with armed sentries posted every 20 feet between love and hate." (House)

Actually I didn't fly I'm away on business and not able to upload examples.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads