For travel - 20mm or 25mm Panasonic?

Started Apr 10, 2013 | Discussions
Steven 2
Regular MemberPosts: 225Gear list
Like?
For travel - 20mm or 25mm Panasonic?
Apr 10, 2013

Which one would you take as part of travel kit, assuming you have both?  Is there any point in taking both??

Would love to hear some thoughts.  Thanks.

Sudo Nimh
Regular MemberPosts: 259
Like?
Re: For travel - 20mm or 25mm Panasonic?
In reply to Steven 2, Apr 10, 2013

I like the wider view of the 20mm. Whatever your aesthetic taste, it's better to err on the side of a wider view, which you can crop later. Especially when traveling, you don't want to miss part of the scene because your lens is too long.

Also, the 20mm lens is smaller.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
shihhan
Regular MemberPosts: 307
Like?

Steven 2 wrote:

Which one would you take as part of travel kit, assuming you have both?  Is there any point in taking both??

There is little point in taking both...

To put all of the travel-friendly primes in perspective...

- 14/2.5: small and light (though bit slow on aperture), fairly wide (not suitable for portraits.)

- 17/1.8: small and fast, good IQ, classic street photography focal length. Expensive (£400).

- 17/2.8: although compact, slow AF and IQ/aperture poor, avoid.

- 20/1.7: mixed bag, compact, fast aperture, good IQ but slow AF (+ weird focal length)

- 25/1.4: fastest aperture, classic focal length, good IQ but a bit bulky. Expensive (£450).

So realistically, the best choices (if you can afford it) would be between 17/1.8 and 25/1.4 and it is mainly up to personal preference which of the classic focal lengths (35mm or 50mm equiv.) you prefer, and whether you need that extra stop.

20/1.7 is a mixed bag, due to the slow AF. 14/2.5 is good, but a bit wide and a bit slow.

Cheeky note: although not a prime the 14-42 X is also a decent portable size if you want to carry a zoom. Aperture isn't great, zoom lever is either love or hate, and that focus lever is a crime. But at the end of the day, zooms are a lot more versatile as a trade off.

Rriley
Forum ProPosts: 21,846Gear list
Like?

Steven 2 wrote:

Id be ok with either, but wouldnt take both

The 25/1.4 is IMO one of the must have m43rds lenses due to its speed. Particularly in the corners it doesnt seem very sharp wide open unless you adopt the strategy of using that for portraits were the subject is close and nicely detailed, but its plenty sharp for landscapes and general photography with an optimum at f/4.

-- hide signature --

Riley
any similarity to persons living or dead is coincidental and unintended
support 1022 Sunday Scapes'

Rriley's gear list:Rriley's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 +1 more
fotophool
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,818
Like?

Nothing personal, but ye gods in heaven I just don't understand questions like this.

Which lens do you use most where you are?

Then take that one with you some place else.

Obviously it's the lens you feel most comfortable with.

But when I travel I go wide, so I would recommend something along the lines of a 9-18mm or the kit 12-50 if you happen to have an EM-5.

My Flickr Pics

You know what and where.

Ollie 2
Senior MemberPosts: 1,364Gear list
Like?
In reply to fotophool, Apr 10, 2013

fotophool wrote:

Nothing personal, but ye gods in heaven I just don't understand questions like this.

But when I travel I go wide, so I would recommend something along the lines of a 9-18mm or the kit 12-50 if you happen to have an EM-5.

Yes.

But what jumper should I take to Florence?

Ollie 2's gear list:Ollie 2's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Olympus PEN E-P2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 +16 more
mh2000
Senior MemberPosts: 2,683
Like?
sheep herding?
In reply to shihhan, Apr 10, 2013

shihhan wrote:

- 17/1.8: small and fast, good IQ, classic street photography focal length. Expensive (£400).

Ya' know, there are some pretty compelling tests comparing the 17/2.8 to the 17/1.8 and the 2.8 actually holds up pretty well. In my tests, the 17/2.8 also bests the Pan 14... so just sayin' given these two facts, singling out the 17/2.8 as an "avoid" is probably more driven by internet sheep herding.

-- hide signature --
amalric
Forum ProPosts: 10,815
Like?
Re: sheep herding?
In reply to mh2000, Apr 10, 2013

mh2000 wrote:

shihhan wrote:

Ya' know, there are some pretty compelling tests comparing the 17/2.8 to the 17/1.8 and the 2.8 actually holds up pretty well. In my tests, the 17/2.8 also bests the Pan 14... so just sayin' given these two facts, singling out the 17/2.8 as an "avoid" is probably more driven by internet sheep herding.

Indeed, as they say here the Mother of the Cretins is always Pregnant. In other forums the 17/2.8 has developed in a small cult, but a long lasting, delightful one:

http://www.mu-43.com/f80/olympus-17mm-f-2-8-image-thread-294/

It's been on for 4 years!

Here instead the Panny noobs developed a negative meme, so that the Oly lens could be blackballed forever. 99% of course never used one.

Am.

Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/amalric

micksh6
Senior MemberPosts: 2,562Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ollie 2, Apr 10, 2013

Ollie 2 wrote:

fotophool wrote:

Yes.

Neither of lenses from OP. Or, either or both of them as an addition to wider lens. 20mm can't be the main lens in Florence. Over there I struggled with compact that had 24mm equiv. wide end. One would need 9-18mm or 7-14mm in Florence.

For example, this one was at taken in Florence at 24mm equivalent FL and I could not move back any further. It would be similar in many European cities.

Florence

micksh6's gear list:micksh6's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +6 more
Ollie 2
Senior MemberPosts: 1,364Gear list
Like?
In reply to micksh6, Apr 10, 2013

Well, of course I was kidding.

I'll never return to Florence. Too many American voices (no offence to any Americans), and so few Italians (relatively). I'd rather be in the back alleys of Palermo.

I found the Voigtlander 25mm a very useful lens. I shot way too much with the 9-18mm, and found the 100-300 extremely useful for people watching (we had an apartment literally facing the Duomo). Wish I'd had the 17.5 with me instead of any of them.

It's all academic now, as I say.

...so which jumper should I pack?

Ollie 2's gear list:Ollie 2's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Olympus PEN E-P2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 +16 more
Paul De Bra
Forum ProPosts: 11,392Gear list
Like?
Also learn the panorama technique.
In reply to micksh6, Apr 10, 2013

Some people think a panorama is just a panorama but actually it is a useful technique to take pictures in cities that would otherwise have been impossible.

Here is a simple example:

Montreal city hall. 5 shots at 12mm in portrait orientation.

I could not back up further for this shot because of trees that would be in the way. So I just took a few shots in portrait orientation and stitched in photoshop. I'v also done it for vertical shots of a church for instance. Backing up to get the shot is always the best, but when it's not possible stitching is a good next-best solution.

-- hide signature --

Slowly learning to use the Olympus OM-D E-M5.
Public pictures at http://debra.zenfolio.com/.

Paul De Bra's gear list:Paul De Bra's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +4 more
slimandy
Forum ProPosts: 14,659Gear list
Like?

I like the slightly wider view, but I use the Olly 17mm f1.8 in preferemce to the Pana 20mm.

-- hide signature --

www.andrewsandersphotography.co.uk

slimandy's gear list:slimandy's gear list
Sony RX100 II Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D700 +1 more
slimandy
Forum ProPosts: 14,659Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ollie 2, Apr 10, 2013

Ollie 2 wrote:

fotophool wrote:

Yes.

It depends if she is meeting Zebedee.

-- hide signature --

www.andrewsandersphotography.co.uk

slimandy's gear list:slimandy's gear list
Sony RX100 II Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D700 +1 more
Ulric
Senior MemberPosts: 2,629Gear list
Like?

Steven 2 wrote:

If I were to take a two-prime kit on a travel, it would be the Panasonic 14mm and the Olympus 45mm.

Ulric's gear list:Ulric's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +6 more
Aleo Veuliah
Forum ProPosts: 14,490Gear list
Like?

Take the 20mm, it is smaller and has good IQ.

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.
Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit.
If plan A doesn't work, the alphabet has 25 more letters, keep calm.
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.
Aleo Photo Site

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +4 more
NZ Scott
Senior MemberPosts: 3,504Gear list
Like?
17/1.8 versus 20/1.7

Why restrict yourself to Panasonic lenses?

My three-prime travel lenses are all Olys: the 12/2.0, the 17/1.8 and the 45/1.8.

If I was taking two primes I would definitely take the 12 and I would probably take the 17.

If I was only taking one prime it would be the 17/1.8.

I've shot briefly with the 25/1.4 and thought it was great. Granted, it is a bit heavy and expensive. On the postivite side, it is bright, has great optics and focuses quickly. If it hadn't rattlesnaked horribly on my E-P3 I would have bought it.

The 20/1.7 faces stiff competition, however - from the 17/1.8.

I think the 17/1.8 is a better lens than the 20/1.7 simply because it focuses more quickly. These focal lengths are associated with street photography, and fast focusing is critical for street. The 17/1.8 focuses very quickly, whereas the 20/1.7 is sluggish. The 17/1.8 also has the clutch-focus mechanism for hyperfocal focusing, although I'm not convinced that it is very well implemented.

The 20/1.7 does have two advantages over the 17/1.8: it is flatter (pancake) and it is a little bit sharper. In some countries it is cheaper, but in other countries (including mine) it isn't.

The 17/1.8 has received mixed reviews, but I think it's great. And I'm not speaking as an Oly fanboy, either - I've reviewed the 12/2.0 on several websites and given it only an average rating because of its poor price/performance ratio. I think the 17/1.8 is a better lens than the 12/2.0.

S

-- hide signature --
 NZ Scott's gear list:NZ Scott's gear list
Sony QX1 Olympus PEN E-P3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 +12 more
ryan2007
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,242Gear list
Like?

Steven 2 wrote:

If this is the only options take the 25 1.4.   However, I had both the 25 and the 12-35 and never took shot one with the 25 1.4.  The 12-35 is a great main lens.

ryan2007's gear list:ryan2007's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1
Dr_Jon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,608Gear list
Like?

It's take the 20/1.7 (and indeed do, although now I hav ethe 12-35 I might have a rethink).

It's small, fast, sharp and the AF speed is fine, never been an issue for me. I didn't get the 25 as it's bigger and has some optical quirks I didn't fancy over the 20. Also I like the slightly wider FoV as 25 can be a bit tight sometimes and 17 is getting wide for photographing people up close.

Dr_Jon's gear list:Dr_Jon's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +25 more
Moti
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,625
Like?

Steven 2 wrote:

Which one would you take as part of travel kit, assuming you have both?

I'll take the 20mm, it is smaller, lighter, sharper and hurts less if gets stolen.

Is there any point in taking both??

No.

Moti

-- hide signature --
Art_P
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,159Gear list
Like?
My travel kit

relies heavily on zooms: 9-18 for landscapes and close quarters

40-150 for a bit more reach

Probably take the 12-50 for it's weather sealing and macro, but if I were to leave one lens home

Don't own either 20 or 25, but would take the 45 for a fast prime.

Probably not taking the 14 even though it's tiny (maybe too small, there's always the fear of losing it!)

OK, 20 or 25?

Well, which focal length are you more comfortable with?  Do you need the extra shallow DoF and better low light performance of F1.4 and is it worth the extra weight.

Or it the smaller size and wider angle of the 20 more important than the difference in aperture?

-- hide signature --

Art P
"I am a creature of contrast,
of light and shadow.
I live where the two play together,
I thrive on the conflict"

Art_P's gear list:Art_P's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads