7D Mirror Shake - w/70-200 f/2.8 - Advice on brace, please

Started Apr 10, 2013 | Discussions
Hank3152
Forum ProPosts: 12,466Gear list
Like?
Re: 7D Mirror Shake - w/70-200 f/2.8 - Advice on brace, please
In reply to tvstaff, Apr 12, 2013

tvstaff wrote:

The 7D as I'm using it now with the 70-200's mount screwed into my tripod seems to move much more than I want.

So you aren't using a head atop of the tripod? That and your tripod seem to be the issues. My Gitzo GT2531 and Markins ball head with an ArcaSwiss style release clamp/plate system are rock solid but will cost you around $850.

Whenever possible get a tall tripod without factoring in a center column to get the proper height. The column is your weakest link even when extended a couple of inches.........

Hank3152's gear list:Hank3152's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Zee Char
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,230
Like?
In reply to Hank3152, Apr 12, 2013

Hank3152 wrote:

tvstaff wrote:

The 7D as I'm using it now with the 70-200's mount screwed into my tripod seems to move much more than I want.

So you aren't using a head atop of the tripod? That and your tripod seem to be the issues. My Gitzo GT2531 and Markins ball head with an ArcaSwiss style release clamp/plate system are rock solid but will cost you around $850.

Whenever possible get a tall tripod without factoring in a center column to get the proper height. The column is your weakest link even when extended a couple of inches.........

That's the ticket.

TStott
Forum MemberPosts: 69Gear list
Like?
In reply to tvstaff, Apr 13, 2013

tvstaff wrote:

I enjoy shooting works of art, many times these objects are outdoors.  Some the best shooting oppty's are in the worst wind conditions OR require a VERY solid platform for the camera and lens so there is no movement even from mirror shake when I have to bracket shots. Some exposures are long.

The 7D as I'm using it now with the 70-200's mount screwed into my tripod seems to move much more than I want. The 70-200 is a balancing act at times and wind or even Mirror shake have been factors.  It's natural I guess based on the size of the lens.

QUESTION:

Is there a brace or plate that others have used that ties a solid pieces of steel to the lens and camaera and then that is mounted on the tripod?

If anyone has experience with this, wouldyou  please let me know the brands so I can create a more solid platform?

THANK YOU,

TVSTAFF

My apologies if someone posted this already, I haven't gone through the thread entirely...

If it's long exposures and wind is an issue don't use the lens hood.  The lens hood acts as a sail in the wind and will cause no end of issues.

If you're dealing with vibration there is a possibility that Image Stabilization is causing drift or shake. Try turning it off to see if that helps.

Hope that helps,

Trevor.

TStott's gear list:TStott's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD +6 more
tonyjr
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,151Gear list
Like?
In reply to Zee Char, Apr 13, 2013

I don't really agree . One of The Bogens I have a center brace . The adjustable legs are fine but not as sturdy . At least at beach .

tonyjr's gear list:tonyjr's gear list
Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +14 more
Zee Char
Like?
In reply to TStott, Apr 13, 2013

TStott wrote:

tvstaff wrote:

I enjoy shooting works of art, many times these objects are outdoors.  Some the best shooting oppty's are in the worst wind conditions OR require a VERY solid platform for the camera and lens so there is no movement even from mirror shake when I have to bracket shots. Some exposures are long.

The 7D as I'm using it now with the 70-200's mount screwed into my tripod seems to move much more than I want. The 70-200 is a balancing act at times and wind or even Mirror shake have been factors.  It's natural I guess based on the size of the lens.

QUESTION:

Is there a brace or plate that others have used that ties a solid pieces of steel to the lens and camaera and then that is mounted on the tripod?

If anyone has experience with this, wouldyou  please let me know the brands so I can create a more solid platform?

THANK YOU,

TVSTAFF

My apologies if someone posted this already, I haven't gone through the thread entirely...

If it's long exposures and wind is an issue don't use the lens hood.  The lens hood acts as a sail in the wind and will cause no end of issues.

If you're dealing with vibration there is a possibility that Image Stabilization is causing drift or shake. Try turning it off to see if that helps.

Hope that helps,

Trevor.

Good call. We don't know if that is a V1 or V2. Not sure if V1 is first generation but my guess is it is. I have to shut off the IS on my 300L F4 IS (first generation IS) but left it on all the time using my 24-105 as the newer versions had no motion detect and the IS shut off.

birdbrain
Senior MemberPosts: 3,248Gear list
Like?
Re: 7D Mirror Shake .Tripod suggestion.
In reply to tvstaff, Apr 14, 2013

Excellent.

Understand now

Many thanks for posting much appreciated.

-- hide signature --

Phil
I wondered why the ball kept getting bigger, then it hit me.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/philthebirdbrain/

birdbrain's gear list:birdbrain's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +16 more
birdbrain
Like?
Re: 7D Mirror Shake. Long Lens Mount

I did find this:

Manfrotto Long Lens Mount

The price is rather astronomical and probably designed for the longer telephotos, interesting none the less.

-- hide signature --

Phil

Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +16 more
tonyjr
Like?
In reply to Zee Char, Apr 14, 2013

I am not sure which version my 18-55 and 17-55 have - probably V1 , but they kind of hunt with not wind . The 70-200 mk II does not seem to care , but I also consider 1/125 slow and will generally use pop up as fill .

Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +14 more
tvstaff
Contributing MemberPosts: 868Gear list
Like?
HERE IS WHAT I GOT - PICTURES - Gitzo GT3340L & INDURO BHD3

AGAIN!  Thanks all for everyone's input.  I now have a SOLID platform for my 7D at a VERY reasonable price Under $800.00 Still waiting on the larger plate and "clamp on" leg weights and sand adapter.

THANK YOU!!! ALL!

tvstaff's gear list:tvstaff's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +13 more
birdbrain
Like?
Re: HERE IS WHAT I GOT - PICTURES - Gitzo GT3340L & INDURO BHD3

Looks good, nice looking ball-head, can't go wrong with a set of Gitzo legs either.

-- hide signature --

Phil

springbock
Senior MemberPosts: 2,257
Like?

I havent read every post here so forgive me if this has already been suggested but I think this is exactly what you are looking for.

http://www.manfrotto.com/telephoto-lens-support

Tom

Edit: Ooops too late I see you've already purchased your rig, never mind.

-- hide signature --

'The truth is rarely pure and never simple' Oscar Wilde

tvstaff
Like?
In reply to birdbrain, Apr 14, 2013
No text.
Canon PowerShot G10 Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +13 more
tvstaff
Like?
In reply to springbock, Apr 14, 2013

I havent read every post here so forgive me if this has already been suggested but I think this is exactly what you are looking for.

Tom

-- hide signature --

Tom, thanks. I tried one this weekend and am ordering one too my real important issue was the tripod and head. I'm half way there. Thank you.

tonyjr
Like?
In reply to tvstaff, Apr 15, 2013

From the shot , go to a cheapee store and pick up a soft plastic water bottle holder , put on the leg out of wind and stuff shoulder strap in it .

I use the cover off my umbrella . I also have a seat belt cover on strap. [ camera and lens get heavy and uncomfortable ] both are on tripod legs with rubber bands .

tonyjr
Like?
In reply to springbock, Apr 15, 2013

That's the one I have . Look at picture . I is not made for a camera with a grip .

Zee Char
Like?
In reply to tvstaff, Apr 15, 2013

tvstaff wrote:

Tom

-- hide signature --

Tom, thanks. I tried one this weekend and am ordering one too my real important issue was the tripod and head. I'm half way there. Thank you.

My two cents. That looks like it is designed for a system that has no lens collar. Besides I would not be that comfortable with a strap pulling down on the lens which creates pressure at the mount for both the lens and the body. You technically should no even handle your gear via the body only when a heavy lens like that is attached.

You have a very good rig there now, why not try that first?  I have never had any issues with my tripod but of course that is up to you. Just must be sure not to put a lot of pressure on that strap. My guess is the instructions probably say that.

springbock
Like?
In reply to tonyjr, Apr 15, 2013

tonyjr wrote:

That's the one I have . Look at picture . I is not made for a camera with a grip .

He has a grip on his cam? I missed that. I just re-read his post.... I don't see anything about a grip. In fact this is what he said ..........

"Is there a brace or plate that others have used that ties a solid pieces of steel to the lens and camaera and then that is mounted on the tripod?

If anyone has experience with this, wouldyou  please let me know the brands so I can create a more solid platform?"

I thought my link sounded exactly what he was looking for.

-- hide signature --

springbock
Like?
In reply to Zee Char, Apr 15, 2013

Zee Char wrote:

tvstaff wrote:

Tom

-- hide signature --

My two cents. That looks like it is designed for a system that has no lens collar. Besides I would not be that comfortable with a strap pulling down on the lens which creates pressure at the mount for both the lens and the body. You technically should no even handle your gear via the body only when a heavy lens like that is attached.

You have a very good rig there now, why not try that first?  I have never had any issues with my tripod but of course that is up to you. Just must be sure not to put a lot of pressure on that strap. My guess is the instructions probably say that.

There is a V shaped support under the lens so it's not pulling down on it. The strap just holds it in place so it doesn't slide sideways. You can move the support forwards and backwards to find its optimal position. but you are right you can't use it with a tripod collar.

-- hide signature --

springbock
Like?
In reply to tonyjr, Apr 15, 2013

tonyjr wrote:

Oh I see now what you're getting at. The pic he posted later has a grip on it.

-- hide signature --

tvstaff
Like?
In reply to Zee Char, Apr 15, 2013

Thanks Zee Char.  I'll use the extended plate first as I'm getting that tomorrow.  Funny!  I had the same concern with that strap pull down on the lens could cause damage to the body or the lens seals.  With the 70-200 f2.8 II ..... I care more about the lens

Thank you!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads