Canon SX 50 Questions

Started Apr 10, 2013 | Questions
GeneGoodGuy2
New MemberPosts: 7Gear list
Like?
Canon SX 50 Questions
Apr 10, 2013
After looking at ultra zoom reviews, I’m close to deciding on purchasing the Canon Powershot SX 50 but then came found this review on Dpreview of the SX 50... “Bad for: Shooting action, sports or kids playing - the slow lens and limited continuous shooting options will quickly become frustrating.”     Anyone with this camera share the same views ???    Also those with this camera, what software would you suggest I buy to crop and modify the photos taken??  By the way, I've been looking at reviews of Sony Hx 300 & 200--- Nikon P 520 and 510...  Thanks in advance for your assistance.
-- hide signature --

Olympus C-740 10x zoom

GeneGoodGuy2's gear list:GeneGoodGuy2's gear list
Olympus C-740 UZ
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Michael Kaplan
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,023Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon SX 50 Questions
In reply to GeneGoodGuy2, Apr 10, 2013

The person that wrote it I think never touched the camera. Thank god I looked at other reviews and especially looked through some of the wonderful photos of real use and comments and reviews from the people here in this forum.

It is an excellent camera for what it is and can get you wonderful photos but of course it is not the best for everything. There are some limitations of course as it is not perfect but IMO was the best of the bunch.

-- hide signature --

Michael Kaplan
http://www.pbase.com/mkaplan
See my profile for equipment list

Michael Kaplan's gear list:Michael Kaplan's gear list
RX100 III Nikon D800 Samsung HZ30W Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Augustin Man
Senior MemberPosts: 3,370Gear list
Like?

Michael is dead right: please see this:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51007221

both the initial image and the PP-ed one.

I hope it will help you...

All the best,

Augustin

Augustin Man's gear list:Augustin Man's gear list
Olympus SP-810 UZ Nikon Coolpix P510 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS
ARShutterbug
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,286Gear list
Like?
I agree

That sounds like something I wrote about this camera.  If you want to do these subjects, buy a dSLR and learn how to use it.

bobneugebauer
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
In reply to GeneGoodGuy2, Apr 14, 2013

GeneGoodGuy2 wrote:

After looking at ultra zoom reviews, I’m close to deciding on purchasing the Canon Powershot SX 50 but then came found this review on Dpreview of the SX 50... “Bad for: Shooting action, sports or kids playing - the slow lens and limited continuous shooting options will quickly become frustrating.”     Anyone with this camera share the same views ???    Also those with this camera, what software would you suggest I buy to crop and modify the photos taken??  By the way, I've been looking at reviews of Sony Hx 300 & 200--- Nikon P 520 and 510...  Thanks in advance for your assistance.
-- hide signature --

Olympus C-740 10x zoom

I highly recommend Photoscape to modify your images. It is very easy to use and is a free download and does tons of wonderful things. I have gotten several people started on this easy to use photo software.

Also, I have the Canon Powershot SX 50 and am very pleased with it as are my friends who have purchased one. It is wonderful for my bird photography hobby. I've had several ultra zooms before but this Canon is by far the best of the lot.

I have a website of my bird photos at www.bobneugebauerbirds.shutterfly.com

MurryG
Senior MemberPosts: 2,621Gear list
Like?

At age 76 I have sold my Canon DSLR gear and use the SX50 exclusively with no regrets.  The only disapointing outing I've had was to a dimly lit aquarium and I blame myself because I was rushed and didn't take enough time with the shots.  Here are four of my galleries all shot with the SX50 so you can see my style and results to compare to what you might have in mind.

http://grigsbys.smugmug.com/CanonSX50HS

http://grigsbys.smugmug.com/Other-Favorite-Texas-Spots/Lake-Livingston

http://grigsbys.smugmug.com/Texas-Wildflowers/Spring-2013

http://grigsbys.smugmug.com/Other-Favorite-Texas-Spots/Aquariums-and-Zoos

This is a very good forum to help you get the best results from your Powershot camera!

Murry

-- hide signature --
 MurryG's gear list:MurryG's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS
Stephen Ingraham
Regular MemberPosts: 396Gear list
Like?

The review in question was simply wrong, misinformed, mistaken, about the continuous shooting abilities of the camera. Compared to a DSLR it has its limitations, but for the price, and considering the extreme flexibility of the 50x zoom, and the overall excellent image quality, it is all the camera I, and many others on this forum, need

Stephen Ingraham's gear list:Stephen Ingraham's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Sony Alpha NEX-3N Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS
GeneGoodGuy2
Like?
In reply to bobneugebauer, Apr 14, 2013

Thanks Bob for your info !!

-- hide signature --

Olympus C-740 10x zoom

Olympus C-740 UZ
GeneGoodGuy2
Like?

Thanks to all who answered my Sx 50 questions.... Looks like this camera is the best way to go.  In looking on line at Amazon some of their sx 50 bundles in  Digital Lenses adaptors (PD 2.5x Telephoto & .45x Wide-Angle Digital Lenses)..... I'm not sure the 2.5 telephoto makes any sense given the large zoom of the camera already however the .45 wide angle lenses could be helpful to me as my wife and I own and operate a bed & breakfast / inn in Ohio and I could use a wider angle to retake some of the photos of guests rooms and perhaps outside building shots.  Given that the SX 50 is best for zoom photo shooting , how good will it be for shooting inside guest rooms and would the added .45 wide angle lens adaptor be a good purchase. The price for the adaptors seem awefully inexpensive which makes me wonder if they really will really work on this high zoom camera especially the wide angle part.  Would the .45 wide angle take the 24 mm to less than 12 mm ?  Hope this is too silly of question !!

-- hide signature --

Olympus C-740 10x zoom

Olympus C-740 UZ
VisionLight
Senior MemberPosts: 2,449Gear list
Like?

GeneGoodGuy2 wrote:

Thanks to all who answered my Sx 50 questions.... Looks like this camera is the best way to go.  In looking on line at Amazon some of their sx 50 bundles in  Digital Lenses adaptors (PD 2.5x Telephoto & .45x Wide-Angle Digital Lenses)..... I'm not sure the 2.5 telephoto makes any sense given the large zoom of the camera already however the .45 wide angle lenses could be helpful to me as my wife and I own and operate a bed & breakfast / inn in Ohio and I could use a wider angle to retake some of the photos of guests rooms and perhaps outside building shots.  Given that the SX 50 is best for zoom photo shooting , how good will it be for shooting inside guest rooms and would the added .45 wide angle lens adaptor be a good purchase. The price for the adaptors seem awefully inexpensive which makes me wonder if they really will really work on this high zoom camera especially the wide angle part.  Would the .45 wide angle take the 24 mm to less than 12 mm ?  Hope this is too silly of question !!

As you've seen from the results posted by many members here, you're making a great choice with the SX50. It's a very versatile camera.

So versatile that you really don't need adaptor lenses unless (1) you have very specific needs and (2) you are willing to take the necessary care to protect the lens zoom motor when the extra weight of the lenses pulls down on the lens tube. When not properly supported, that extra weight can cause a clicking sound from the motor/cam mechanism with a drag and possible damage to the camera. Some folks here have tried the lenses with some degree of success. My own tests with various types of TCs show them not to be worth the trouble. The lightweight attachments like the RAYNOX close-up lenses, OTOH, are great attachments for this camera.

As to #1 above, your specific needs, the SX50 has a feature that may be helpful to you. In an interior room, going wider than the SX50's 24mm (FF equiv) setting, which is approx. 84º, will often give too much ceiling and too much floor with a small band of room in the middle. When set to panorama mode with 2 images (or more), you can take interesting images of each room without all that ceiling or floor, even 360º panos. Plus this eliminates wide angle distortions. Just a suggestion you may like.

So good shooting with your new camera. We'll look forward to your future participation in this forum.

NOTE: I wrote a full review of the SX50 that you may find of interest (even though it says mini-review). You'll find it as the first entry in the Most Bookmarked section on the front page of this forum - bottom right). I hope you find it helpful.

VisionLight's gear list:VisionLight's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 5D Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +4 more
bobneugebauer
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
In reply to GeneGoodGuy2, Apr 15, 2013

I have a Canon SX 50 and am extremely satisfied. The camera is great for my bird photography and is much better than several other high zoom cameras that I have gone through the past several years. I would not consider anything else at the moment.

Photoscape is an excellent and easy to use photo program that I have been using for some years. It is a free download. It allows you to do dozens of different things to your digital images and is just great. Many people spend hundreds of dollars for complicated programs that do not do much more

GeneGoodGuy2
Like?
In reply to VisionLight, Apr 15, 2013

Many thanks for your time and information.....  I did look at your mini review... Wow  -- What a great article.  I've put it in my favorites list as I expect it will be most helpful down the road when I get me camera.   Congrats

-- hide signature --

Olympus C-740 10x zoom

Olympus C-740 UZ
barracuda180
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
In reply to GeneGoodGuy2, May 6, 2013

GeneGoodGuy2 wrote:

-- hide signature --

Olympus C-740 10x zoom

I just want to tell you that this cam shoots 13 shots/sec. i saw that on canon's official site and you can check it to make sure. I really like this cam and i'm looking forward to buying it, it has an amazing quick auto focus in video recording which i haven't seen up till now in any bridge cam, also the image quality is quite good.

Papa Joe
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
In reply to GeneGoodGuy2, Jul 19, 2013

Hello GeneGoodGuy2,

I have found just the opposite with the SX-50... I use it for sports, children, etc. and find it works well.  I covered a Volleyball game and used the burst feature, and got very acceptable results.

As for software, I like Photoshop Elements, but if you prefer a free software for basic editing, give Photoscape a try.  Free and very good software.  Good Luck.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads