E M-5 and lenses . Reason to be concerned?

Started Apr 9, 2013 | Discussions
Valentinian
Regular MemberPosts: 355Gear list
Like?
E M-5 and lenses . Reason to be concerned?
Apr 9, 2013

Money might not be an important issue for some (or many) in this forum. However, it is for me.

After buying the E M-5 with the 12-50 kit, money being what it is, or rather, what it isn't, I had to wait some time before considering other lenses.

Then, one lens at the (long) time, I bought first the 25/1.4,  then the 45-175, then the 14/2.5.

Maybe my next lens (future) will be the Oly 75/1.8 - Or maybe not. Maybe it will be the soon to come Panasonic 150/2.8 - In any case, either of these two lenses will not have stabilization -

So, all my lenses (except the kit lens) will work with IBIS only. Which means that when in a long, long future, I will replace the E M-5 with another mirrorless, it HAS to be an Olympus, for IBIS reasons

And here comes my concern:

Panasonic and others keep releasing cameras, lenses, and more are coming out.

And Olympus? why don't we see other Olympus lenses coming up? What's happening there? did I invest in a sound system?

Valentinian's gear list:Valentinian's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Samyang 10mm 1:2.8 ED AS NCS CS +1 more
Gregm61
Forum ProPosts: 13,418Gear list
Like?
Re: E M-5 and lenses . Reason to be concerned?
In reply to Valentinian, Apr 9, 2013

What constitutes a "sound" system? One new lens and body a month? 12 new lenses and at least 3-4 new bodies a year?

If so yes, you may have, indeed, picked the wrong system.

-- hide signature --

"There's shadows in life, baby.." Jack Horner- Boogie Nights

Gregm61's gear list:Gregm61's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
sgoldswo
Senior MemberPosts: 3,105Gear list
Like?
In most conditions stabilisation is irrelevant

Valentinian wrote:

Money might not be an important issue for some (or many) in this forum. However, it is for me.

After buying the E M-5 with the 12-50 kit, money being what it is, or rather, what it isn't, I had to wait some time before considering other lenses.

Then, one lens at the (long) time, I bought first the 25/1.4,  then the 45-175, then the 14/2.5.

Maybe my next lens (future) will be the Oly 75/1.8 - Or maybe not. Maybe it will be the soon to come Panasonic 150/2.8 - In any case, either of these two lenses will not have stabilization -

So, all my lenses (except the kit lens) will work with IBIS only. Which means that when in a long, long future, I will replace the E M-5 with another mirrorless, it HAS to be an Olympus, for IBIS reasons

And Olympus? why don't we see other Olympus lenses coming up? What's happening there? did I invest in a sound system?

Stabilisation is irrelevant at the vast majority of shutter speeds. In fact at faster shutter speeds it can degrade image quality to leave it on. The oly 45 and 75 both perform excellently on the GH3. The announcement I saw suggested the 150mm would have OIS if that's what floats your boat.

similarly, the E-M5 hasn't become a bad camera by virtue of being over 12 months old.

I'm not really sure I understand your concerns

sgoldswo's gear list:sgoldswo's gear list
Nikon D800E Leica M Typ 240 Olympus E-M1 Nikon Df
Peng Bian
Regular MemberPosts: 353Gear list
Like?

Don't fret friend, Olympus and Panasonic are just not taking the same approach to lens release and coverage. Below reasons.

This year is all about hybrid phase/contrast autofocus for Olympus..They plan on allowing 1 camera to use both m43 and 43 lenses, doubling the amount of lenses you can choose from.

Olympus also has a shorter turn around time between announcement and release. 17mm 1.8 for example. The 2 panny bright primes won't be out until 2014.

Peng Bian's gear list:Peng Bian's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 +1 more
daveco2
Regular MemberPosts: 444
Like?

I gave that a lot of thought before I bought into the Oly system.

You can put Pany lenses on an Oly body and still have IS, but there's no IS with Oly lenses on a Pany body.  So, it seems to me that Oly bodies are more versatile; and you have access to the vast array of Oly, Pany, and other lens makers who don't supply lens IS.

Considering the present Oly and Pany lens lineups, I can't think of what's missing that I would want.  Well, I guess it would be nice if the Oly 9-18mm could go a little shorter like the Pany SWA.  I already have 5 lenses and that's enough.

alolywu
Regular MemberPosts: 179Gear list
Like?
In reply to Valentinian, Apr 10, 2013

At the end of the day, how many lens do you really need?  The lens don't go bad, become less sharp over time.  They will work on the EM-5 as long as you keep the body.

At worst you can always sell the whole system as others have.  In the meantime, you have a compact, high IQ system with IBIS and very nice lens to go with it.

Valentinian
Like?
In reply to Peng Bian, Apr 10, 2013

Peng Bian wrote:

Don't fret friend, Olympus and Panasonic are just not taking the same approach to lens release and coverage. Below reasons.

This year is all about hybrid phase/contrast autofocus for Olympus..They plan on allowing 1 camera to use both m43 and 43 lenses, doubling the amount of lenses you can choose from.

Olympus also has a shorter turn around time between announcement and release. 17mm 1.8 for example. The 2 panny bright primes won't be out until 2014.

Thanks. If Olympus, as you write, is working on a hybrid camera, that's good news to me, meaning that Olympus is alive, and not going to die (from the financial problems).

Someone else wrote that stabilization is not necessarily important. Well, it is for low light shots, isn't it? I don't claim of being an expert photographer, but if you go to my modest short gallery, you will see a photo of a black cat, by night, without flash and (of course) without tripod as well. at 1/8 of a second. I am no way good enough to shoot 1/8 of a second without IBIS...

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Samyang 10mm 1:2.8 ED AS NCS CS +1 more
forpetessake
Senior MemberPosts: 2,794
Like?

Valentinian wrote:

It's been said many times before, cameras & lenses are not an investment. For those who work professionally, they are a depreciating asset; for the rest -- it's a cost of having fun. They are pretty much like cars, only losing value faster. While cars lose 50% of their value in 3-4 years, cameras do that in 1-2 years. How you 'drive' them, how often you change them is up to you. But eventually, every system dies and needs to be completely replaced. Consumer cameras have pretty short life span and the obsolescence seem to be only accelerating. Falling sensor costs will change the current camera landscape dramatically in the coming years, a big wave of inexpensive FF designs is approaching, so all current cameras & lenses are not likely to retain much of their value in 5 years, only decent FF lenses will have a longer life span.

baxters
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,842Gear list
Like?

Valentinian wrote:

Money might not be an important issue for some (or many) in this forum. However, it is for me....

Except for the 12-50, you don't own any Olympus lenses. Unless we consumers support them, how can they develop more? The 17mm, when the price drops this summer,  and the 45mm seem like good candidates for you.

IBIS is nice to have, but there is always a support somewhere, like a tree, light pole, or fence, to steady our cameras. Even bracing a camera with the strap from the back of one's neck will take out a lot of shake.

baxters's gear list:baxters's gear list
Olympus Body Cap Lens 15mm F8.0
Chez Wimpy
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,692Gear list
Like?
I am concerned

Valentinian wrote:

So, all my lenses (except the kit lens) will work with IBIS only.

...it seems the other posters failed to read the OP.

Your 45-175 will be stabilized regardless of future m43 camera.  Also, the 150/2.8 you are considering will have OIS.  In fact, only your kit lens 12-50 will be a "problem", but it really isn't because any Panasonic body you might buy will have a cheap (14-42II) kit lens with OIS for $100 or less added to the price.  The primes you do have are not that big a deal.  The specific type of photography you could manage with them on the IBIS of the EM5 is a niche - and this is coming from a big IBIS fan.  I'd be more concerned with other aspects of camera performance when considering a new body.

-- hide signature --

-CW

Chez Wimpy's gear list:Chez Wimpy's gear list
Sigma DP1 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 20D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Canon EOS 550D +23 more
mievil
Forum MemberPosts: 99
Like?
Re: I am concerned
In reply to Chez Wimpy, Apr 10, 2013

Photography has been around for close to a double century without IBIS. It was fine before, and it will be fine when the next big thing replaces it. I imagine that if Olympus ceased production and sales tonight at midnight, you would still wake up in the AM and have a functions bladder. You'll be ok.

At the worst you'll learn how to use a tripod. Gasp. Haha

Ulric
Senior MemberPosts: 2,361Gear list
Like?
In reply to mievil, Apr 10, 2013

mievil wrote:

Haha, my tripod has been collecting dust since I got the E-M5.

I'm more concerned with the electronics in the lenses eventually failing. I expect my old manual lenses from the 70s to outlive the lenses I buy today.

Ulric's gear list:Ulric's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +6 more
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 15,550Gear list
Like?
Re: In most conditions stabilisation is irrelevant
In reply to sgoldswo, Apr 10, 2013

sgoldswo wrote:

Valentinian wrote:

Stabilisation is irrelevant at the vast majority of shutter speeds.

How do you define "the vast majority of shutter speeds"?

In fact at faster shutter speeds it can degrade image quality to leave it on.

Do you have any evidence that it actually does so with any of the stabilization systems available for MFT?

The oly 45 and 75 both perform excellently on the GH3. The announcement I saw suggested the 150mm would have OIS if that's what floats your boat.

similarly, the E-M5 hasn't become a bad camera by virtue of being over 12 months old.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +18 more
Paul De Bra
Forum ProPosts: 11,060Gear list
Like?
Most prime lenses have no IS in any system.

There are some expensive lenses (Canon L for instance) that have IS but all reasonably priced lenses with IS from any brand I know of are zoom lenses. So if you want stabilization and like prime lenses you are bound to bodies with stabilization.

Fortunately Olympus has IBIS and offers some really good m43 cameras now. They are very likely working on a new body (successor to the E-M5) with a sensor with phase-detect AF capability on the sensor, but as Olympus does not make its own sensors they are dependent on other manufacturers to deliver that sensor. Supposedly Sony will do that.

Different companies make announcement at different times, spread almost randomly over the year. It is not because Panasonic has just announced something that Olympus is now falling behind. People said just the opposite when Olympus announced the E-M5 and Panasonic had no immediate answer. Each company works at its own pace. It doesn't matter because a one year old camera model is still excellent, and even when a new one comes out he old one will continue to be excellent for years to come. New models only matter to people who either always want the latest or are waiting for a specific item to be announced (like the highly anticipated 12-40 lens).

-- hide signature --

Slowly learning to use the Olympus OM-D E-M5.
Public pictures at http://debra.zenfolio.com/.

Paul De Bra's gear list:Paul De Bra's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 +4 more
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 15,550Gear list
Like?

Valentinian wrote:

Last year, Panasonic released three new bodies (GF5, G5, GH3) and three new lenses (45-150, 12-35, 35-100).

Last year, Olympus released three new bodies (E-M5, E-PL5, E-PM2) and three new lenses (75/1.8, 60/2.8, and 17/1.8).

So what's the problem?

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +18 more
slimandy
Forum ProPosts: 14,036Gear list
Like?
Re: In most conditions stabilisation is irrelevant
In reply to Anders W, Apr 10, 2013

Anders W wrote:

sgoldswo wrote:

Valentinian wrote:

Stabilisation is irrelevant at the vast majority of shutter speeds.

How do you define "the vast majority of shutter speeds"?

I assume he means the shutter speeds people most often use, and in my case he'd be right. I still use IBIS enough to want to have it rather than not. Not many of my DSLR lenses have stabalisation. My 2 latest purchases are a Sigma 35mm f1.4 and a Zeiss 100mm f2 makro. Heck, the Zeiss doesn't even have AF.

In fact at faster shutter speeds it can degrade image quality to leave it on.

Do you have any evidence that it actually does so with any of the stabilization systems available for MFT?

I have for other systems. Bokeh was not as nice with VR (Nikon 70~200). I can find you a link. I have not seen the same research for MFT though.

The oly 45 and 75 both perform excellently on the GH3. The announcement I saw suggested the 150mm would have OIS if that's what floats your boat.

-- hide signature --

www.andrewsandersphotography.co.uk

slimandy's gear list:slimandy's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1
slimandy
Forum ProPosts: 14,036Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ulric, Apr 10, 2013

Ulric wrote:

mievil wrote:

Haha, my tripod has been collecting dust since I got the E-M5.

That's a shame. Mine hasn't.

I'm more concerned with the electronics in the lenses eventually failing. I expect my old manual lenses from the 70s to outlive the lenses I buy today.

True, but I bet you'll buy new ones before you use your old ones again. I would anyway.

-- hide signature --

www.andrewsandersphotography.co.uk

slimandy's gear list:slimandy's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1
Martin.au
Senior MemberPosts: 4,708
Like?

Anders W wrote:

Valentinian wrote:

Last year, Panasonic released three new bodies (GF5, G5, GH3) and three new lenses (45-150, 12-35, 35-100).

Last year, Olympus released three new bodies (E-M5, E-PL5, E-PM2) and three new lenses (75/1.8, 60/2.8, and 17/1.8).

So what's the problem?

Damn, that was one hell of a year. So much benchmark gear.

Ulric
Senior MemberPosts: 2,361Gear list
Like?
In reply to slimandy, Apr 10, 2013

slimandy wrote:

True, but I bet you'll buy new ones before you use your old ones again.

Not only that, but I'm likely to buy newer new lenses before the old new lenses break. Not for a while though, I'm all set now.

Ulric's gear list:Ulric's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +6 more
Valentinian
Like?

Anders W wrote:

So what's the problem?

Guess you're right. Maybe my perception was not

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads