Why do I have to eject the NEX from my Mac?

Started Apr 9, 2013 | Questions
saintz
Regular MemberPosts: 499Gear list
Like?
Why do I have to eject the NEX from my Mac?
Apr 9, 2013

With any other camera, when I plug it into my Mac, it just pops up in iPhoto. When done, I unplug it with no issues.

With the NEX, when I plug it into my Mac, it pops up in iPhoto but also mounts as a drive on the desktop. I need to actually eject it before unplugging, or I get an error. I have had this issue with all 3 NEX models I've tried, but never with any other Nikon or Canon camera.

saintz's gear list:saintz's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS
ANSWER:
dannytang
Regular MemberPosts: 119Gear list
Like?
Re: Why do I have to eject the NEX from my Mac?
In reply to saintz, Apr 9, 2013

I've never connected my NEX directly to my mac, but I suspect it has to do with the USB connection mode (found under the setup menu). If it's set to mass storage, OS X will treat the camera as a card reader and mount the SD card as a drive. If you don't eject the camera/card properly you'll not only get the error message, but you risk damaging the SD card.

dannytang's gear list:dannytang's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
James Sherman
Senior MemberPosts: 2,323Gear list
Like?
In reply to saintz, Apr 9, 2013

AFAIK, that's just the way Macs handle external drives.  That's how your camera is mounted, and if you had a deferred write pending you could get your card scrambled.  Some software, like Lightroom, can eject the camera automatically after importing the photos.  Otherwise, it's your responsibility.

James Sherman's gear list:James Sherman's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
saintz
Regular MemberPosts: 499Gear list
Like?
In reply to dannytang, Apr 9, 2013

Ok, changing the USB mode to MTP from Auto (which seemed to auto choose Mass Storage) fixed the problem. I thought I tried that on my NEX 3 and it didn't work, but worked on my 5N.

saintz's gear list:saintz's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS
D Cox
Senior MemberPosts: 8,347
Like?
In reply to saintz, Apr 10, 2013

I have to eject my Lumix P&S as well as the NEX.

The basic reason is that the Mac does "write caching" - that is, it doesn't write to a disk when you tell it to, but later at its own convenience. While it should not be writing to the camera at all, it wants to add icon files to every image.

Under Windows, only the built in hard drives have write caching. USB drives normally do not, although you can change this setting, if you want trouble.

Write caching is a bad thing as it can lead to loss of data if power goes off suddenly. It is supposed to speed things up, but would be better not used.

Sonyshine
Senior MemberPosts: 5,312Gear list
Like?
In reply to D Cox, Apr 10, 2013

Its how MAC address external drives. Don't just unplug the camera, always 'eject' it to prevent damage.

Sonyshine's gear list:Sonyshine's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Micro Nikkor 40mm F2.8 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-QX10 Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +6 more
macsoft4
Regular MemberPosts: 155
Like?
In reply to Sonyshine, Apr 10, 2013

I really hate iPhoto, so i do not use it.

But i love the fact the the NEXes mount as a drive. very easy to get the files.

Much more control, and you can connected it to every thing, from computers to TVs, to tablets.

I hate the iPhone type USB connections where you do not get a mounted drive...

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads