Panasonic GX1 or E-PL2?

Started Apr 9, 2013 | Discussions
BobT
Forum ProPosts: 11,720Gear list
Like?
Panasonic GX1 or E-PL2?
Apr 9, 2013

I currently have the E-PL2 and a pair of kit lenses.  But being that I spend (way too much) time checking out Craigslist, I noticed a Panasoninc GX1 body (Like New) for $250.  So tell me, is the GX1 enough of a step-up over the E-PL2 that I should consiider it?  Or  would you recommend I leave well enough alone and stick with my Oly PEN camera?  Both my Oly 14-42 II and 40-150mm lenses WILL work on the GX1, will they not?  But I'd lose my image stabilization with the GX1.  Correct?

Thanks

Olympus PEN E-PL2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
secretworld
Contributing MemberPosts: 972Gear list
Like?
Re: Panasonic GX1 or E-PL2?
In reply to BobT, Apr 9, 2013

Never buy anything simply because it is better.

If you have a specific issue with your PL2, see if a GX1 will solve it.

Improvements are; better high iso, 16 instead of 12 MP (so possibly a little more sharpness and detail with big prints).

Negatives are; loss if IS (but it is not that good anyway), loss of oly jpg colours (could be big if you shoot jpg).

secretworld's gear list:secretworld's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Fujifilm X-E1 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
BobT
Like?
In reply to secretworld, Apr 9, 2013

I'm aware of those things that you mentioned; as I have researched the GX1.  Thing is, what appear as up-grades are not always as they seem to be.  That's why I like to get real users into the picture.  The better higher ISO capability of the Panny might be important, but the loss of color quality might be even more of a major loss to me.  Thanks for your response.

PC Wheeler
Forum ProPosts: 13,868Gear list
Like?

I may be kidding myself, but my GX1 seems to have better colors than my recent GH2; I know my GH3 does. Your main loss would be IS for the 14-150 lens, especially on the long end. Depending on your usage, the higher ISO comparison may not matter. Personally I prefer Panasonic (after owning GH1, GF1, GH2, GH3, E-PL1 and E-PL3); reasons are menu system and AF performance. But I must confess that if I'd mastered the Oly menu system better I might have been able to get better AF performance.

-- hide signature --

Phil

PC Wheeler's gear list:PC Wheeler's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot G15 RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000
bunfoolio
Regular MemberPosts: 389
Like?

I went from the E-pl2 to the GF5 and I am very happy even though it is still a 12mp sensor.  I primarily did it to get the 14-42x lens to reduce size.  Also I like having the AF assist lamp.

BobT
Like?

So I'm not hearing that I should rush out and grab that GX1 "because it's so much better than the E-PL2, and that you'd be a fool not to get it"?

Yehuda_
Regular MemberPosts: 243Gear list
Like?

The gx1 is on sale in amazon for 275$, new.

250$ for a used one is a pretty bad deal tjese days...

Yehuda_'s gear list:Yehuda_'s gear list
RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS +2 more
tedolf
Forum ProPosts: 16,353Gear list
Like?
Time to stop......

BobT wrote:

I currently have the E-PL2 and a pair of kit lenses.  But being that I spend (way too much) time checking out Craigslist, I noticed a Panasoninc GX1 body (Like New) for $250.  So tell me, is the GX1 enough of a step-up over the E-PL2 that I should consiider it?  Or  would you recommend I leave well enough alone and stick with my Oly PEN camera?  Both my Oly 14-42 II and 40-150mm lenses WILL work on the GX1, will they not?  But I'd lose my image stabilization with the GX1.  Correct?

Thanks

buying camera bodies.

This is by my count your fourth u 4/3 camera in two years, and you have yet to post a photo thread taken with any of them, or even a single photo taken with a  u 4/3 camera.

Most of us agree that it is better to invest in lenses rather than bodies, and even better to invest in your skills rather than lenses.

Also, if we can't see examples of the types of photo's you take then it is very difficult to make any recomendations about what camera you should have, unless you are merely a collector.

Tedolph

tedolf's gear list:tedolf's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +10 more
shihhan
Regular MemberPosts: 307
Like?

GX1 benefits

1. Much newer upgraded sensor (16Mpx v. 12), marginally better ISO performance.
2. More buttons/controls, more direct/faster handling than going through menus.
3. Larger grip, but whether it is more ergonomical is personal preference.
4. Marginally faster AF (due to faster sensor refresh times)
5. Usable video mode (not perfect, but perfectly usable).

GX1 disadvatnages

1. Size
2. No IBIS (you have to rely on Panasonic OIS lenses)
3. No in-built EVF (the external EVF is overpriced)
4. Dumbed down flash (low GN), no wireless TTL support
5. JPEG engine is different (again, personal preference)

Again, if budget is a concern, then by all means both the GX1/G3 have dropped to fairly affordable prices. Despite the sensor being a generation older than the latest EM-5 or GH3, the performance is still pretty good.

The main problem I think with switching between Panasonic and Olympus is the IBIS v. OIS issue (which typically mean your lenses will be bigger and more expensive).

Bob Tullis
Forum ProPosts: 26,330Gear list
Like?
In reply to BobT, Apr 10, 2013

BobT wrote:

So I'm not hearing that I should rush out and grab that GX1 "because it's so much better than the E-PL2, and that you'd be a fool not to get it"?

I'm not hearing anything about the E-PL2 limiting your objectives and skill set.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Little Big Man

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +18 more
Jorginho
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,076Gear list
Like?
That is why IBIS is so smart in this case

We have two systems with two different kind of lenses. One system has OIS in most lenses, others not. So the way from Panasonic to Oly means you are giving up nothing while vice versa you do give up on a very important thing, especially when it comes to the longer end of the zoom range...

So even if technically the GX1 body is (may be much) better, I would not jump ship if I were you. And I do own a GH2 and an EPL5. So no fanboyism here.

Jorginho's gear list:Jorginho's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +9 more
Aleo Veuliah
Forum ProPosts: 14,466Gear list
Like?
Re: Wait a bit.

Wait until the end of April.

Panasonic Lumix is going to launch the G6.

Then you decide better. But both EPL2 and GX1 are good cameras.

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.
Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit.
If plan A doesn't work, the alphabet has 25 more letters, keep calm.
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.
Aleo Photo Site

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +5 more
007peter
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,203Gear list
Like?
Its about "Jumping on a DEAL", not photography. I Do It if I were Bob-T
In reply to Bob Tullis, Apr 10, 2013

Bob Tullis wrote:

BobT wrote:

I'm not hearing anything about the E-PL2 limiting your objectives and skill set.

That is not what Bob-T is asking us.  What Bob-T want to know is:

• - Should He jump on a used $250 GX1 deal or not
  • - Its not about Photography or learning photography
  • - Its about Seizing a Deal before its gone
Bob-T, I would jump on the deal if I were you before its gone: Other factor I really like
  • You can sell your E-PL2 for $300 on Craigslist
  • Buy a used GX1 for $250
  • Not only do you get a (1) FREE UPGRADE, you also pocket (2) $50
- Panasonic GX1 focus 3-4x faster than E-PL2 - Panasonic GX1 has stable video, doesn't suffer from Olympus bad rolling shutter - Panasonic GX1 has the Best Grip of all evf-less M43 - Panasonic GX1 16mp sensor is vastly superior to the older 12mp panny sensor used by Olympus e-PL2 - the list goes on and on..... And you get all these UPGRADES for FREE.  What are you waiting for?
 007peter's gear list:007peter's gear list
Nikon D3100 Canon EOS M Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G
Gregm61
Forum ProPosts: 13,741Gear list
Like?
Re: Time to stop......
In reply to tedolf, Apr 10, 2013

tedolf wrote:

BobT wrote:

Thanks

buying camera bodies.

This is by my count your fourth u 4/3 camera in two years, and you have yet to post a photo thread taken with any of them, or even a single photo taken with a  u 4/3 camera.

Most of us agree that it is better to invest in lenses rather than bodies, and even better to invest in your skills rather than lenses.

Also, if we can't see examples of the types of photo's you take then it is very difficult to make any recomendations about what camera you should have, unless you are merely a collector.

Tedolph

Couldn't agree more. Bob has been more interested, for a long while now, in what to buy more than how to use what he has, kind-of more like a coin collection to fondle and admire than something to actually use. This is just the latest in a long history.

-- hide signature --

"There's shadows in life, baby.." Jack Horner- Boogie Nights

Gregm61's gear list:Gregm61's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 +10 more
Bob Tullis
Forum ProPosts: 26,330Gear list
Like?
Really?
In reply to 007peter, Apr 10, 2013

007peter wrote:

Bob Tullis wrote:

BobT wrote:

That is not what Bob-T is asking us.  What Bob-T want to know is:

• - Should He jump on a used $250 GX1 deal or not
  • - Its not about Photography or learning photography
  • - Its about Seizing a Deal before its gone
Bob-T, I would jump on the deal if I were you before its gone: Other factor I really like
  • You can sell your E-PL2 for $300 on Craigslist
  • Buy a used GX1 for $250
  • Not only do you get a (1) FREE UPGRADE, you also pocket (2) $50
- Panasonic GX1 focus 3-4x faster than E-PL2 - Panasonic GX1 has stable video, doesn't suffer from Olympus bad rolling shutter - Panasonic GX1 has the Best Grip of all evf-less M43 - Panasonic GX1 16mp sensor is vastly superior to the older 12mp panny sensor used by Olympus e-PL2 - the list goes on and on..... And you get all these UPGRADES for FREE.  What are you waiting for?

I appreciate the attempted correction, but what we see on the surface here obscures what BobT has been on about for quite some time.   Unless having been engaged with this before,  one would think the direct answer to be the most helpful.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Little Big Man

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +18 more
Marathonianbull
Regular MemberPosts: 489Gear list
Like?
In reply to Gregm61, Apr 10, 2013

I find it utterly funny to stumble upon such an aggressive criticism here, in a DPreview forum where people mostly talk about photo gear upgrade!!!

Marathonianbull's gear list:Marathonianbull's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-L10 Olympus E-620 Ricoh GXR S10 24-72mm F2.5-4.4 VC Ricoh GXR A12 50mm F2.5 Macro Olympus E-5 +17 more
Gregm61
Forum ProPosts: 13,741Gear list
Like?
In reply to Marathonianbull, Apr 10, 2013

Marathonianbull wrote:

I find it utterly funny to stumble upon such an aggressive criticism here, in a DPreview forum where people mostly talk about photo gear upgrade!!!

You just have to know, or take a look at the OP's posting history to appreciate the response.

-- hide signature --

"There's shadows in life, baby.." Jack Horner- Boogie Nights

Gregm61's gear list:Gregm61's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 +10 more
Guy Parsons
Forum ProPosts: 18,613Gear list
Like?
Think about it.

BobT wrote:

Thanks

Losing stabilisation by using Oly lenses on a Pany body is an important issue if you want to shoot in anything other than bright daylight. The 40-150mm particularly will suffer badly, even if it gets overcast and shutter speeds need to drop.

So if changing bodies then you need also to change lenses to the Panasonic equivalent of 14-42mm or better 14-45mm plus say the 45-150mm and all those lenses have OIS so it all works properly with Panasonic bodies.

The only sensible update from E-PL2  to retain the use of your Olympus lenses is to get the E-PL5. Or just keep using the E-PL2 if it is delivering results that you like.

Buying a new camera does not make you a better photographer, all it does is briefly increase  your interest in photography.

Regards.... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Casio Exilim EX-ZR1000 +16 more
BobT
Like?
Re: Think about it.
In reply to Guy Parsons, Apr 10, 2013

Good answers, Guy.  I truly appreciated your response.  Thanks.

I'm sticking with the E-PL2.  I haven't used it enough to realize any shortcomings as yet.  When (and if I do) then I might get serious about an upgrade for a REAL reason.

tedolf
Forum ProPosts: 16,353Gear list
Like?
Why?......
In reply to Marathonianbull, Apr 11, 2013

Marathonianbull wrote:

If you an upgrading just to look as it what is the point?

tedolpl

tedolf's gear list:tedolf's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads