"God is my Co-Pilot" - veeery busy picture ...

Started Apr 9, 2013 | Discussions
philzucker
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,058
Like?
"God is my Co-Pilot" - veeery busy picture ...
Apr 9, 2013

Hard Rock Café, Barcelona

Taken August 2011 in Barcelona, processed just now. Overwhelming detail, much, much too busy IMO. My eye can rest absolutely nowhere.

And somehow I like it all the same ...

K5 with Tamron 18-250@18mm, f3.5, 1/40s, ISO 3200, bleach bypass processing.

Phil

-- hide signature --
Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
kriztian
Contributing MemberPosts: 622
Like?
Re: "God is my Co-Pilot" - veeery busy picture ...
In reply to philzucker, Apr 9, 2013

I Think this is a very good picture.  the colors are matching perfectly and make the parts come together like one item. Very good.

-- hide signature --

kriztian

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
paulkienitz
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,835Gear list
Like?

philzucker wrote:

Hard Rock Café, Barcelona

Taken August 2011 in Barcelona, processed just now. Overwhelming detail, much, much too busy IMO. My eye can rest absolutely nowhere.

And somehow I like it all the same ...

Having a clearly located place for the eye to rest is an overrated photographic value IMHO.  Many of the pictures I feel are my best are ones that have no particular point of focus, and detail throughout.  Needless to say, other people don't tend to prefer them as much as I do.  I attribute this partly to a difference of temperament, and partly to everyone being raised on the kind of photography that's used in advertising.  I like this picture of yours.

-- hide signature --

Q with 02 zoom and Nikkor 180/2.8 ED for birding
K10D, Sig 17-70, DA 55-300, FA 50/1.4 "billy bass"
discards: DA 50-200 "zipper", F 100-300, Sigma 135-400 "piglet", M 400/5.6 "the Great Truncheon"

paulkienitz's gear list:paulkienitz's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +4 more
ozdean
Forum ProPosts: 20,396Gear list
Like?

Busy yet intriguing Phil.

-- hide signature --

Regards Dean - Capturing Creation
N.B. All my Images are Protected by Copyright

ozdean's gear list:ozdean's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR +7 more
Akar
Senior MemberPosts: 1,280
Like?

I think in general this rule is correct, though it can't limit the photographer. Your picture (which I like very much) is a good example, that rules should be broken sometimes. BTW - my visit to a bar in Athens:

http://mojefotki.net/index.php?album=65&start=56

Is this picture busy or not?

Andrzej

-- hide signature --

'This is not that serious.. let's all have fun'
http://www.mojefotki.net
Take a look!

Brentliris
Senior MemberPosts: 2,992Gear list
Like?

I like it like it alot. But still a little disappointed as I was expecting it to be filled with multiple images of you!

Crazy place!

-- hide signature --

Reflections, understandings, discoveries and intimations..

Brentliris's gear list:Brentliris's gear list
Ricoh GR Pentax K200D Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +4 more
Model Mike
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,106Gear list
Like?

Haha, wonderful image Phil!! It deserves to be printed BIG

-- hide signature --
kitsios_spyros
Senior MemberPosts: 1,231
Like?
In reply to philzucker, Apr 10, 2013

Having been there, I believe that this is a very nice picture which would make a beautifull big print!

Thanks for sharing it,

Kind Regards,

Spyros

kitsios_spyros
Senior MemberPosts: 1,231
Like?
In reply to Akar, Apr 10, 2013

Akar wrote:

I think in general this rule is correct, though it can't limit the photographer. Your picture (which I like very much) is a good example, that rules should be broken sometimes. BTW - my visit to a bar in Athens:

Andrzej

-- hide signature --

'This is not that serious.. let's all have fun'
http://www.mojefotki.net
Take a look!

Hi Andrzej,

Your Athens gallery is wonderfull. Well done!!

Well, before posting the above, I had a look at some folders of your site and there is some beautifull photography in there. Frogs are great too! Congratulations! I really enjoyed it! Bookmarked for inspiration

Kind Regards

Spyros

PS. For some reason browsing through your images is not fluid. A picture sharpeness only the moment it is about to change to the next one, after my hitting the "next" button. I hope that it is a matter of slow connection (my connection) and that others do not have the same problem. Again, great photo collection.

philzucker
Like?
In reply to kriztian, Apr 10, 2013

kriztian wrote:

I Think this is a very good picture.  the colors are matching perfectly and make the parts come together like one item. Very good.

Thanks, Krisztian.

I tried a lot of different PP methods before I decided to go this way. One reason was that with bleach bypass colors generally do match a bit better - because a b/w-image sort of is being superimposed on the color image, and that reduces color differences. That was a good thing for this sort of pic, I think.

Glad you like it!

Phil

-- hide signature --
philzucker
Like?
In reply to paulkienitz, Apr 10, 2013

paulkienitz wrote:

Having a clearly located place for the eye to rest is an overrated photographic value IMHO.  Many of the pictures I feel are my best are ones that have no particular point of focus, and detail throughout.  Needless to say, other people don't tend to prefer them as much as I do.  I attribute this partly to a difference of temperament, and partly to everyone being raised on the kind of photography that's used in advertising.  I like this picture of yours.

Very interesting thoughts, Paul, on different type of pictures and the way we have been trained to look at them - raised with ads.

I do think that there is also a tradition with detail laden pics - I can stare for a long time at a lot of pics of Hieronymus Bosch for example, or the peasant paintings of Pieter Bruegel the Elder. They fascinate because there is so much to see and discover.

Not that I would dare to compare anything I do with those two ...

Thanks for your comment and for looking!

Phil

-- hide signature --
philzucker
Like?
In reply to ozdean, Apr 10, 2013

Busy yet intriguing Phil.

Isn't it Dean? Can't really put my finger on it and don't know exactly why, but intriguing it is.

Thanks for your comment!

Phil

-- hide signature --
philzucker
Like?
In reply to Akar, Apr 10, 2013

Akar wrote:

Andrzej,

your picture is an oasis of calm. It's not busy at all IMO, the bottles in the background add just structure to it. Well done!

I do agree that any rules should be broken once in a while. Thanks for your comment!

Phil

-- hide signature --
philzucker
Like?
In reply to Brentliris, Apr 10, 2013

Brentliris wrote:

I like it like it alot. But still a little disappointed as I was expecting it to be filled with multiple images of you!

Thanks! And sorry for the missing clones ... Will see if I can sign them up again for some work int the future.

Crazy place!

Isn't it?!

Phil

-- hide signature --
philzucker
Like?
In reply to Model Mike, Apr 10, 2013

Model Mike wrote:

Haha, wonderful image Phil!! It deserves to be printed BIG

Thanks, Mike. Already did a very nice print on A4 sized matte paper. Looks veeery good.

Thinking about doing a larger print, but have to see if the PP introduced noise and the soft rendition of the fully open Tammy will stand up to that ...

Phil

-- hide signature --
philzucker
Like?
In reply to kitsios_spyros, Apr 10, 2013

kitsios_spyros wrote:

Having been there, I believe that this is a very nice picture which would make a beautifull big print!

Thanks very much, Spyros! As I already wrote in my answer to Mike I already did a very nice A4 sized print and am thinking about doing a larger one.

When have you been there at the Barcelona Hard Rock Café? Any pics to share from your visit?

Phil

-- hide signature --
Vlad from Melbourne
Forum MemberPosts: 59Gear list
Like?

Sometimes busy can be desirable to give the true sense of the location, and what the photographer tries to relay in the image.

Your image has a nice symmetry to it, and it depicts the atmosphere of the location perfectly.

philzucker
Like?
In reply to Vlad from Melbourne, Apr 10, 2013

Vlad from Melbourne wrote:

Sometimes busy can be desirable to give the true sense of the location, and what the photographer tries to relay in the image.

Your image has a nice symmetry to it, and it depicts the atmosphere of the location perfectly.

Thanks for your comment, Vlad. The symmetry and the color distribution makes the pic acceptable, I think. It sure looked "wow!" as a I saw it, and I tried to capture that effect.

Phil

-- hide signature --
Gerry Winterbourne
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,674
Like?
Phil

philzucker wrote:

paulkienitz wrote:

Very interesting thoughts, Paul, on different type of pictures and the way we have been trained to look at them - raised with ads.

I do think that there is also a tradition with detail laden pics - I can stare for a long time at a lot of pics of Hieronymus Bosch for example, or the peasant paintings of Pieter Bruegel the Elder. They fascinate because there is so much to see and discover.

Ah, this reply to Paul preempted me, Phil.  I looked at your shot last night just before bed so I deferred comment.  Overnight I thought of it in the context of Bosch and Bruegel gor just the reasons you say.

It also put me in mind of those records of 19th century art shows with pictures from floor to (high) ceiling and wall to wall.  As with your shot, the individual pictures were "composed" by rule but the overall record was as much about the socil side of things as anything else.

As you'll have gathered, I rather like your shot and the way you've treated it.

-- hide signature --

Gerry

philzucker
Like?
Re: Phil
In reply to Gerry Winterbourne, Apr 10, 2013

Gerry Winterbourne wrote:

It also put me in mind of those records of 19th century art shows with pictures from floor to (high) ceiling and wall to wall.  As with your shot, the individual pictures were "composed" by rule but the overall record was as much about the socil side of things as anything else.

Something like this here: http://www.courtauld.ac.uk/gallery/archive/2001/artonline/index.shtml

As you'll have gathered, I rather like your shot and the way you've treated it.

Thanks very much, Gerry. And nice to know that we thought along the same lines here ...

Phil

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads