Sony NEX and rain

Started Apr 9, 2013 | Discussions
lesstax
Regular MemberPosts: 242
Like?
Sony NEX and rain
Apr 9, 2013

How do the NEX's hold up in light rain or worse? I am thinking about getting a NEX 6 for travel this summer.

-- hide signature --

Kivis

D Cox
Senior MemberPosts: 7,031
Like?
Re: Sony NEX and rain
In reply to lesstax, Apr 9, 2013

I have used my 5N in a downpour as well as in ordinary rain without problems.

Try to keep the camera under your coat when not actually shooting.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Cailean Gallimore
Senior MemberPosts: 6,082
Like?

It's asking for trouble to expose any electronic device that isn't to designed to be waterproof to rain. Not a good idea.

zackiedawg
Forum ProPosts: 21,189Gear list
Like?

Just fine as long as you take very basic precautions and care.  My NEX-5N has been out in rain dozens of times, even very hard rain - as recently as this past weekend when I was caught in a strong downpour  about 1/2 mile from the nearest cover.

Basic precaution for light rain and drizzle - keep camera pointed down, cover the buttons with your hand, gently dab away any rain that has gotten on the body.  Use lens hood, don't press or use a button when a water drop has landed directly on the button or seam between button and body.

Basic precaution for heavier rain - cover the camera - stick it under your shirt, bring a ziploc bag with you that you can toss over the camera or stick the camera in, bring an umbrella if you want to keep shooting with the camera during the rain, have a waterproof camera bag along for storage needs.

I've shot in tropical environments most of my life, with daily rain for a good 8 months of the year possible to likely.  Humidity off the charts.  Heat near 100 much of the year.  I've gone through a dozen cameras over the years, from P&S to video to DSLR to mirrorless, and haven't had a rain-related failure yet...all of those cameras were exposed to rain and have been wet, hit with sand and dust, covered in pollen, had ants on them, been scratched and scuffed by branches and leaves, and all were cared for with basic logic - carefully cleaned off, dabbed, wiped, and polished as needed.  My cameras all look used, but well cared for.  They've got some scuffs and wear, but no damage.  Most are still in use, handed down to family and friends.

Don't worry too much - and just be aware and take logical precautions and actions when dealing with rain - you should be fine.

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +24 more
lesstax
Regular MemberPosts: 242
Like?
In reply to zackiedawg, Apr 9, 2013

zackiedawg wrote:

Just fine as long as you take very basic precautions and care.  My NEX-5N has been out in rain dozens of times, even very hard rain - as recently as this past weekend when I was caught in a strong downpour  about 1/2 mile from the nearest cover.

Basic precaution for light rain and drizzle - keep camera pointed down, cover the buttons with your hand, gently dab away any rain that has gotten on the body.  Use lens hood, don't press or use a button when a water drop has landed directly on the button or seam between button and body.

Basic precaution for heavier rain - cover the camera - stick it under your shirt, bring a ziploc bag with you that you can toss over the camera or stick the camera in, bring an umbrella if you want to keep shooting with the camera during the rain, have a waterproof camera bag along for storage needs.

I've shot in tropical environments most of my life, with daily rain for a good 8 months of the year possible to likely.  Humidity off the charts.  Heat near 100 much of the year.  I've gone through a dozen cameras over the years, from P&S to video to DSLR to mirrorless, and haven't had a rain-related failure yet...all of those cameras were exposed to rain and have been wet, hit with sand and dust, covered in pollen, had ants on them, been scratched and scuffed by branches and leaves, and all were cared for with basic logic - carefully cleaned off, dabbed, wiped, and polished as needed.  My cameras all look used, but well cared for.  They've got some scuffs and wear, but no damage.  Most are still in use, handed down to family and friends.

Don't worry too much - and just be aware and take logical precautions and actions when dealing with rain - you should be fine.

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

Excellent advice.

-- hide signature --

Kivis

uhligfd
Senior MemberPosts: 1,159
Like?

I would not hold a camera up into the run as you asked about; simply because i do not like to 'water' my lenses.

Otherwise, the NEX is no preventer of rain, sorry about that too; it simply cannot change whether if that is what you hoped for, no it can't .

Now you can use any camera in any rain or weather if you are a bit thinking ... This has been done for 150 years now plus or minus a  few years. No fears, please ...

FuzzyQball
Senior MemberPosts: 1,328Gear list
Like?

I have a rain cover for my bag.  If you want something more water resistance look at the Olympus OM-D

-- hide signature --

Glenn

FuzzyQball's gear list:FuzzyQball's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS
JJ NeXT
Regular MemberPosts: 103
Like?
In reply to FuzzyQball, Apr 10, 2013

Maybe those, who got their equipment damaged in rain would like to share their stories/observations.

-- hide signature --

www.jjshot.com

Paul_B Midlands UK
Regular MemberPosts: 347
Like?
Re: Sony NEX and orange juice
In reply to lesstax, Apr 10, 2013

I can catagorically tell you NEX + Orange juice brings horrific results. Stupidly I had up till that point a pristine NEX5N in my large sweatshirt pocket, I popped in a Clementine to eat on the way and forgot about it. Over the journey in the car, I suppose the seat belt slightly squeezed the fruit and the corner of the camera gouged in to the skin releasing acidic juice. My screen is ruined, etched all over the surface - it still works but looks horrible. Pocket full of sticky mulshy orange was, rather depressing ...

But 3 months later the 5N is still making nice images, generally I love this camera.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8912948@N07/8634160140/in/photostream

-- hide signature --

Paul Bentley

macsoft4
Forum MemberPosts: 85
Like?
Re: Sony NEX and orange juice
In reply to Paul_B Midlands UK, Apr 10, 2013

I just bought one of those rain covers with openings for the hands.. but it is a little to big and clumsy :S

ProfHankD
Senior MemberPosts: 1,855Gear list
Like?
Moisture inside
In reply to zackiedawg, Apr 10, 2013

zackiedawg wrote:

all were cared for with basic logic - carefully cleaned off, dabbed, wiped, and polished as needed.

Just to be precise, the NEX bodies are relatively good about being exposed to surface water, etc. However:

• Don't let the water, etc., get into the camera. Dry them off as best you can and never store a wet camera -- trapping moisture in with the camera is the best way to grow fungus.
  • If there is a chance water has gotten inside (from dunking or fogging due to temp change in a high-humidity environment), don't turn the camera on until it has dried completely. That might take a couple of days. Power can take unintended paths that wreck the camera if internal electronics are moist -- LCDs are especially vulnerable.

Overall, the recommendations are good -- I also am a big believer in carrying a plastic bag or cheap waterproof camera bag (sold as an underwater housing, but I wouldn't trust it for that) for protecting the camera in a downpour or on "you may get wet" rides in Disney, etc.

ProfHankD's gear list:ProfHankD's gear list
Canon PowerShot A640 Canon PowerShot A720 IS Canon PowerShot S70 Canon PowerShot G1 Canon PowerShot G5 +19 more
Richie Beans
Regular MemberPosts: 226Gear list
Like?
Re: Moisture inside
In reply to ProfHankD, Apr 10, 2013

If you dip the entire camera in warm lard, allow it to cool, and then carve the solidified excess off, you should have a totally rain-proof system. However, I do not know if the NEX is lard-proof.

Richie Beans's gear list:Richie Beans's gear list
NEX5R +1 more
uhligfd
Senior MemberPosts: 1,159
Like?
Re: Moisture inside
In reply to Richie Beans, Apr 10, 2013

Richie Beans wrote:

If you dip the entire camera in warm lard, allow it to cool, and then carve the solidified excess off, you should have a totally rain-proof system. However, I do not know if the NEX is lard-proof.

Beautiful answer to a problem raised by poster's fear, and not by any actual  danger ...

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads