Need advice about flash for OM-D ( new situation )

Started Apr 9, 2013 | Discussions
Vu Dang
Forum MemberPosts: 60Gear list
Like?
Need advice about flash for OM-D ( new situation )
Apr 9, 2013

Of course I read some thread about flash for OM-D. I think about some situation:

- I can buy likenew FL-36R for 142$, FL-50R for 310$ in Vietnam. m43 accessories are not easy to buy in VN. I know that FL-600R same power FL-36R plus faster recycle time, FL-50R twice power 36R/600R

- Now I need only FL-36R or FL-600R but in future probly I need FL-50R or Metz 58/52

- I plan to use both wireless TTL + double flash. I will get FL-36R cause of very good price and compact size on OM-D. Can I use FL-LM2 remote both Olympus and Metz wireless TTL at same time? Can I use FP mode both flash?

I think about this because of Metz flash can be update firmware to update features. I love this method. I also want flexible solution: LM2 on OM-D to remote 2 others flash or FL-36R on OM-D for 1 flash with good balance or FL-36R wireless TTL with Metz 58/52.

Sorry for my bad English.

Thank you all!

Vu Dang's gear list:Vu Dang's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5
Chas2
Senior MemberPosts: 2,340Gear list
Like?
Re: Need advice about flash for OM-D ( new situation )
In reply to Vu Dang, Apr 9, 2013

Vu Dang wrote:

Of course I read some thread about flash for OM-D. I think about some situation:

- I can buy likenew FL-36R for 142$, FL-50R for 310$ in Vietnam. m43 accessories are not easy to buy in VN. I know that FL-600R same power FL-36R plus faster recycle time, FL-50R twice power 36R/600R

- Now I need only FL-36R or FL-600R but in future probly I need FL-50R or Metz 58/52

- I plan to use both wireless TTL + double flash. I will get FL-36R cause of very good price and compact size on OM-D. Can I use FL-LM2 remote both Olympus and Metz wireless TTL at same time? Can I use FP mode both flash?

I think about this because of Metz flash can be update firmware to update features. I love this method. I also want flexible solution: LM2 on OM-D to remote 2 others flash or FL-36R on OM-D for 1 flash with good balance or FL-36R wireless TTL with Metz 58/52.

Thank you all!

One major difference between the FL36R and the FL600R is the battery power.  This could be an issue for you.  I have not used these units, but in general, I have to believe there is faster recycling and better life out of a set of 4 AA batteries vs only 2.  Heavier, but it may be worth the weight.  I do not believe there is an appreciable size difference between the two units.  The price difference may well be worth the time it takes to swap out battery pairs.  Only you can know.

Chas2's gear list:Chas2's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Guy Parsons
Forum ProPosts: 19,055Gear list
Like?
In reply to Vu Dang, Apr 9, 2013

Vu Dang wrote:

Yes. The RC control menu sets up FP operation and both flashes should work OK on the same group. If needed you could make one flash group A and the other group B if there are problems with both on group A.

Make sure to first test the Metz on its own, to prove whether it can work properly in FP mode with any of the three flash groups.

Regards..... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 +17 more
JoeMoMo
Regular MemberPosts: 162Gear list
Like?
In reply to Chas2, Apr 9, 2013

Chas2 wrote:

Vu Dang wrote:

Thank you all!

One major difference between the FL36R and the FL600R is the battery power.  This could be an issue for you.  I have not used these units, but in general, I have to believe there is faster recycling and better life out of a set of 4 AA batteries vs only 2.  Heavier, but it may be worth the weight.  I do not believe there is an appreciable size difference between the two units.  The price difference may well be worth the time it takes to swap out battery pairs.  Only you can know.

The FL600R isn't that heavy. I just purchased it and while I'm still learning, I am loving it!!

JoeMoMo's gear list:JoeMoMo's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads