What is the best digital camera for photographing fast moving objects? (sports, children, animals)

Started Apr 9, 2013 | Questions
ultimitsu
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,673
Like?
Re: Nikon 1 Series...
In reply to DaveOl, Apr 11, 2013

DaveOl wrote:

Stay away from the Nikon D3200 and D 5100's.  They are manual focus unless you buy the newer, more expensive lenses.

whats wrong with buying the newer more expensive AF-S lenses? they are better performing and much quieter, the extra money is well worth it.

Also basic kit lenses that come with them are all AF-S and very cheap.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Christopher Love
New MemberPosts: 15
Like?
Re: my experience
In reply to hjulenissen, Apr 11, 2013

Thanks for the advice! Well needed.

Biggs23
Biggs23 MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,583Gear list
Like?
In reply to Apteryx6, Apr 11, 2013

Apteryx6 wrote:

Biggs23 wrote:

Jimmy jang Boo wrote:

John Siward wrote:

In reasonable light the AF rivals the capabilities of a "pro" DSLR for tracking moving objects, all in a lightweight, compact package.

Not only does it have wicked fast AF, it can shoot 30 still images in half a second...

True, but only in JPEG mode, which is a huge downer.

-- hide signature --

Any opinions I express are my own and do not represent DPReview.

No, actually it is RAW. Or RAW + Jpeg if you prefer.

At 30FPS?

-- hide signature --

Biggs23's gear list:Biggs23's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon Df Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +4 more
SystemAgnostic
Regular MemberPosts: 184
Like?
In reply to Biggs23, Apr 11, 2013

Yes.

I'm only sure about the Nikon V1.  It can shoot at 30fps or 60fps in raw (or jpeg only, or raw + jpeg).  At these speeds, it only focuses once - on the first shot.  It can take 30 shots before the screen goes black and it processes the shots. If you shoot jpeg only the processing is much quicker, but you still are limited to 30 shots in a row.

If you want continual focus - you are limited in the V1 to 10fps.  The same 30 shots in a row before the camera briefly freezes for processing.  But again - you can do that in raw, raw + jpeg, or jpeg only.

Biggs23
Biggs23 MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,583Gear list
Like?
In reply to SystemAgnostic, Apr 11, 2013

SystemAgnostic wrote:

Yes.

I'm only sure about the Nikon V1.  It can shoot at 30fps or 60fps in raw (or jpeg only, or raw + jpeg).  At these speeds, it only focuses once - on the first shot.  It can take 30 shots before the screen goes black and it processes the shots. If you shoot jpeg only the processing is much quicker, but you still are limited to 30 shots in a row.

If you want continual focus - you are limited in the V1 to 10fps.  The same 30 shots in a row before the camera briefly freezes for processing.  But again - you can do that in raw, raw + jpeg, or jpeg only.

Yeah, that's what I said and thought. I see no real advantage to a crazy high frame rate without AF. I can shoot 10FPS in RAW with AF now, so the frame rate is no higher than a dSLR and the buffer is much smaller which makes it a bit disappointing. Might be great for someone else, however.

-- hide signature --

Biggs23's gear list:Biggs23's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon Df Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +4 more
trac63
Contributing MemberPosts: 566
Like?
Re: What is the best digital camera for photographing fast moving objects?
In reply to Christopher Love, Apr 11, 2013

Nikon D3200 body with the 70-300 VR.

SystemAgnostic
Like?
In reply to Biggs23, Apr 11, 2013

Yeah.

There are specific applications where 30 or 60 fps will be quite useful even without focusing.  For example - my daughter hitting a ball in softball.  With 10 fps it is (sorry for the pun) hit or miss if you get the right picture.  With the Nikon 1 it should be (warning- another pun coming)  child's play.

Well, to be honest I was only shooting just over 4 fps last time I tried, so that was certainly hit or miss.

SystemAgnostic
Like?
Canon 7D vs Nikon V1 specs
In reply to SystemAgnostic, Apr 11, 2013

I just looked up the Canon 7D specs.  Looks like it can only shoot 15 frames in a row raw.  So the V1 can double that.  But with jpeg only, the 7D can shoot at 8 fps for almost 16 seconds – 126 shots.

Of course the megapixels and image quality will be different between the two.

Jimmy jang Boo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,307Gear list
Like?
Re: +1 for the A57
In reply to headfirst, Apr 11, 2013

headfirst wrote:

Jimmy jang Boo wrote:

AF is too slow for fast moving subjects.

compared to what?

Fast moving subjects.

Jimmy jang Boo's gear list:Jimmy jang Boo's gear list
Ricoh GR Nikon 1 V1
EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 11,525Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jimmy jang Boo, Apr 11, 2013

Jimmy jang Boo wrote:

headfirst wrote:

Jimmy jang Boo wrote:

compared to what?

Fast moving subjects.

How in the world did you arrive at that conclusion? BTW, I have A55 (which was replaced by A57). I also shoot action with NEX-3.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
BrewLab
Contributing MemberPosts: 600Gear list
Like?

Jimmy jang Boo wrote:

Unless the OP plans on shooting speeding bullets that's a very misleading statement. In fact,   one of the more ridiculous statements I've seen on this forum. Have you any actual real life experience with this camera? If not, it's pretty irresponsible to suggest to the OP, who's asking for people's opinions before making a major purchase, to talk down a camera that may fit their needs perfectly just because you in love with the camera you've chosen to use. I can look at the specs on the V1 and come to the conclusion that it's probably not for me (I need better high ISO performance and prefer more control over my camera settings), but having no real life experience with it, I would never suggest to someone that it's inferior to my kit (even if it is). Not to mention that it's comparing apples to oranges...SLT to compact mirrorless.

If you actually have owned an A57, I stand corrected.

Cheers

BrewLab's gear list:BrewLab's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W150 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H20 Sony SLT-A77 Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM
Jimmy jang Boo
Like?
In reply to BrewLab, Apr 11, 2013

BrewLab wrote:

Jimmy jang Boo wrote:

Unless the OP plans on shooting speeding bullets that's a very misleading statement. In fact,   one of the more ridiculous statements I've seen on this forum. Have you any actual real life experience with this camera? If not, it's pretty irresponsible to suggest to the OP, who's asking for people's opinions before making a major purchase, to talk down a camera that may fit their needs perfectly just because you in love with the camera you've chosen to use. I can look at the specs on the V1 and come to the conclusion that it's probably not for me (I need better high ISO performance and prefer more control over my camera settings), but having no real life experience with it, I would never suggest to someone that it's inferior to my kit (even if it is). Not to mention that it's comparing apples to oranges...SLT to compact mirrorless.

You stand corrected. The OP wants too shoot fast moving action, as in sports... kids running around or even more challenging, towards you... a dog bolting after a ball, birds in flight, etc... not a team of players standing still in between plays, or kids sitting on a sofa or snoozing pets.

DPR reviewed the A57 and wrote...

When photographing static and slow-moving subjects we found the AF system to work quickly and accurately. Fast-moving subjects, are much more of a challenge, however. While you can capture 10fps in the camera's continuous AE priority mode, you shouldn't expect a 100% hit rate. At anything more demanding than a leisurely cycling pace along a straight line, the A57 can struggle to accurately predict subject position at relatively close range."

The OP is welcome to prove them wrong.

Ricoh GR Nikon 1 V1
headfirst
Contributing MemberPosts: 585Gear list
Like?

Jimmy jang Boo wrote:

headfirst wrote:

Jimmy jang Boo wrote:

compared to what?

Fast moving subjects.

yes, we know that he wants to shoot "fast moving subjects" but what camera within his budget do you think will do better?

Possibly a Nikon 7000D but lots of reported issues with AF. A Canon 7D better again but outside his budget for a non-grey import & really quite complex to configure & use it's AF system.

headfirst's gear list:headfirst's gear list
Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony Alpha DSLR-A200 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony SLT-A77 +7 more
BrewLab
Contributing MemberPosts: 600Gear list
Like?
Re: You mean like this?

Jimmy jang Boo wrote:

BrewLab wrote:

Jimmy jang Boo wrote:

You stand corrected. The OP wants too shoot fast moving action, as in sports... kids running around or even more challenging, towards you... a dog bolting after a ball, birds in flight, etc... not a team of players standing still in between plays, or kids sitting on a sofa or snoozing pets.

When photographing static and slow-moving subjects we found the AF system to work quickly and accurately. Fast-moving subjects, are much more of a challenge, however. While you can capture 10fps in the camera's continuous AE priority mode, you shouldn't expect a 100% hit rate. At anything more demanding than a leisurely cycling pace along a straight line, the A57 can struggle to accurately predict subject position at relatively close range."

So, you haven't owned the camera you're talking about. Thanks for proving my point.

Oh and btw....the OP doesn't have to. Everyone who actually owns this camera already has.

Very dim gymnasium with a lens that was ill suited to the task. Still able to capture action at ISO 3200.

For the record, I'm not a Sony fan boy ( I've looked very hard at the D600 )and I certainly don't want to get into a p**sing match about whose camera is better. I just take issue when someone asks for help and gets feedback that is based on anything other than actual hands on experience. I'm sure the Nikon 1V is a great camera, but so is the A57...even (especially) for fast action

Cheers

BrewLab's gear list:BrewLab's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W150 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H20 Sony SLT-A77 Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM
Lin Evans
Forum ProPosts: 15,768Gear list
Like?
My suggestion
In reply to Christopher Love, Apr 12, 2013

I would take a long look at the Nikon D7000. I have the D7000 and also the Nikon 1V1. The 1V is a dandy little camera, but only 10 megapixel and it gets "very hot" very quickly in hot weather.

The D7000 is an incredible value right now. It has a great 16 megapixel sensor, one of the best dynamic range cameras around, certainly for the money. It has excellent autofocus and is feature rich. It lets you have two SD cards which can be used in a variety of ways.

I also have Olympus E3, Canon EOS 1D, 1DS, D30, 10D, 40D, etc., but my pick for what you want to do is the Nikon D7000.

Best regards,

Lin

Christopher Love wrote:

Gearing up for a new purchase and would like to know the general consensus over which camera offers the highest quality photographs of fast movers.

Budget up to $1000.

Thanks a great deal for your advice and opinion!

-- hide signature --

learntomakeslidshows.net

Jimmy jang Boo
Like?
Re: You mean like this?
In reply to BrewLab, Apr 12, 2013

At a casual glance one might be impressed, but really... where's the exif?

Ricoh GR Nikon 1 V1
six34sigma
Senior MemberPosts: 1,116Gear list
Like?
D7000 .....

A Nikon D7000, a fabulous camera is $1200 with a 18-105 kit lens.

The newer D7100 is a better camera, 51 AF points, snappy AF, great rendering but its $1500 right now.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Sanjay

six34sigma's gear list:six34sigma's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +3 more
Lin Evans
Forum ProPosts: 15,768Gear list
Like?
Here's a heck of a deal for you....

Virtually new D7000 with battery grip for $700. Leaves you plenty for your choice of great lens... For sale right here on the dPReview forum:

Link to dPReview for Sale:

Lin

Christopher Love wrote:

Gearing up for a new purchase and would like to know the general consensus over which camera offers the highest quality photographs of fast movers.

Budget up to $1000.

Thanks a great deal for your advice and opinion!

-- hide signature --

learntomakeslidshows.net

vzlnc
Regular MemberPosts: 192
Like?
Re: What is the best digital camera for photographing fast moving objects?

Christopher Love wrote:

Thanks for the great feedback!

I am being drawn to the easy route of purchasing a standard DSLR kit option having read a few reviews/previews:

EOS 100D

EOS 700D

I am a complete sucker for the Fuji X range and got very close to buying the Olympus OMD E-M5  however was put off by the review – "Cons: Photography of moving subjects - the only area where it falls significantly behind a good DSLR".

The budget of $1000-1200 would definitely need to include lens.

You should have read some of the other threads where m43 is being hailed as the next best thing since sliced bread and talking about its slow AF compared to DSLR's is like blasphemy

Jeadm
Contributing MemberPosts: 624Gear list
Like?
Capturing the FULL REVIEW QUOTE so it can be taken in context
In reply to Jimmy jang Boo, Apr 12, 2013

Jimmy jang Boo wrote:

BrewLab wrote:

Jimmy jang Boo wrote:

Well if you're going to capture the review and quote it here to nullify your lack of personal experience and ownership of the A57, make sure you capture the entire gist of it so it can be taken in proper context.

Here's is the next paragraph, after what you neglected to quote.  The entirety of the text on autofocus speed can be found here-Source:  http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-alpha-slt-a57/10

QUOTE:

"We don't want to be too harsh though. As you can see in the sample above, for everyday use - and in comparison to its DSLR peers - the A57's AF is more than capable. We would simply caution that while it has a frame rate that nearly matches a pro DSLR like the Canon EOS-1D X, other factors like advanced predictive tracking, customizeable AF modes and not least, the ability to view the live scene (versus the image you've just captured) while shooting are just as important for those who photograph fact action for a living."

Now I want you to think about this.  They say they don't want to be too harsh, but yet they proceed to be.  And how do they do that?  By making a odd backhanded comparison to a Professional DSLR (link to body only LOL) that costs over 13X the price of the A57.  By anybody's standards that's quite a leap.

And while we're quoting the review, lets go to the final paragraph of "The Final Word" on the last page:

QUOTE:

"At its core, the A57 is a well put-together compendium of Sony's technology advances since the introduction of the A55 two years ago. This makes it a solid and proven performer for anyone stepping up to a DSLR from a compact camera or ILC, and one that concedes little in terms of either value or performance to its competitors from Canon, Nikon and Pentax. We'd love a touch-sensitive screen and a more sensibly articulated LCD (and the OLED EVF from the A65/77 would be lovely) but the A57 is an excellent camera at a compelling price, and as such it earns our top honor, the Gold Award. "

As someone who has owned several Canon and Sony DSLRs in the past 10 years or so, I can assure you focus speed is quite adequate, particularly at this price point.  And with the high fps and excellent buffer depth/write times you can have the occasional out of focus shot here and there to spare and still come out way ahead.

Jeadm's gear list:Jeadm's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Sony SLT-A57 Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM Sony DT 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +11 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads