Recommend a good desiccant.

Started Apr 9, 2013 | Discussions
saralecaire
Regular MemberPosts: 367
Like?
Recommend a good desiccant.
Apr 9, 2013

Sometimes I move from a cold air conditioned environment to a warm humid outdoor one. After a while there can be fog buildup inside the lens.

Is there a good brand/type of desiccant which you guys can recommend?

I plan to put a whole bunch in a pelican case and place the lens in it to let the moisture dissipate out.

bravozulu
Contributing MemberPosts: 897Gear list
Like?
Re: Recommend a good desiccant.
In reply to saralecaire, Apr 10, 2013

Here's what I do. I go to the pharmacy and ask them to save the desiccant cannisters that come in their larger jars of drugs. They transfer the drugs to smaller bottles as they dispense prescriptions and then throw away the silica gel. After a week, they've saved enough of them to fill coffee can for me.

I prefer the solid cannisters with silica over the little bags. I don't want to introduce dust into my camera bag.

I'm a woodworker and thus have several hundred high grade steel cutting tools. So I pop silica capsules into every drawer of every toolbox. Then, every few months, I gather them up, toast them in a 150° oven for an hour to expel moisture and recharge the silica. The plastic on the capsules will melt, so keep the temperature low enough to avoid that, but high enough to drive out the moisture.

bravozulu's gear list:bravozulu's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Erik Korte
Forum MemberPosts: 59Gear list
Like?
In reply to bravozulu, Apr 24, 2013
 Erik Korte's gear list:Erik Korte's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM
nonimoose
Forum MemberPosts: 83
Like?
In reply to saralecaire, Apr 24, 2013
Hank3152
Forum ProPosts: 12,592Gear list
Like?
Pelican reusable.........
In reply to saralecaire, Apr 28, 2013

Living in the midwestern US the summers can get fairly humid. I store my gear in a padded shoulder bag with a desiccant container made by Pelican that's reusable and is about the size of a deck of cards....... http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/242571-REG/Pelican_1500_500_000_Silica_Gel.html

Hank3152's gear list:Hank3152's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +5 more
Sailor Blue
Senior MemberPosts: 6,520Gear list
Like?
In reply to saralecaire, Apr 29, 2013

Living in hot and humid Thailand I keep all my photo gear possible in a Pelican case with four of these desiccant packs.  10-15 minutes in a microwave oven at a very low power is enough to dry them out for resuse.

Click to view larger image 2 pack Blue Indicating Silica Gel Desiccant Moisture For Absorb Box Reusable

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Bangkok, Thailand. Canon 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Canon EOS 7D +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads