LA-EA2 + SAL1680Z Problems

Started Apr 9, 2013 | Discussions
Rccarruth
Forum MemberPosts: 54
Like?
LA-EA2 + SAL1680Z Problems
Apr 9, 2013

I ordered the two items in the title recently and so far I'm very disappointed.  The 16-80Z came in yesterday and I took a walk around a local park to try it out.  I noticed pretty quickly that there seemed to be some wobble in the set-up.  I though at first it might be between the LA-EA2 to NEX connection or lens-to-adapter connection.  I soon realized it was the zoom extension on the lens.
It wobbled enough that I could feel it with each step while walking holding the camera.  It wobbles when fully retracted or extended.  The LA-EA2 has a more authoritative shutter than the camera alone which I assume is the mirror flip(I've never owned a DSLR).  It seems when you combine these two, it's nearly impossible to get a sharp picture.  After getting home, I checked the pictures and sure enough, none of them are as sharp as my 18-55 kit lens.  Nice color and contrast sure,  but at 100% everything is a blurry mess.
I checked some reviews online and a few mentioned zoom wobble on the 16-80, but usually just at the extreme extension.  I assume it shouldn't wobble noticeably at any zoom level?  Has anyone with a 16-80Z experienced this problem?  If so, was the lens repaired or replaced?  It was a used lens sold as "Like New" with a warranty.  I've contacted the seller and I'm waiting to see what happens.
Thanks for any input.
-Clark

TiagoReil
Senior MemberPosts: 1,488Gear list
Like?
Re: LA-EA2 + SAL1680Z Problems
In reply to Rccarruth, Apr 9, 2013

Rccarruth wrote:

I ordered the two items in the title recently and so far I'm very disappointed.  The 16-80Z came in yesterday and I took a walk around a local park to try it out.  I noticed pretty quickly that there seemed to be some wobble in the set-up.  I though at first it might be between the LA-EA2 to NEX connection or lens-to-adapter connection.  I soon realized it was the zoom extension on the lens.
It wobbled enough that I could feel it with each step while walking holding the camera.  It wobbles when fully retracted or extended.  The LA-EA2 has a more authoritative shutter than the camera alone which I assume is the mirror flip(I've never owned a DSLR).  It seems when you combine these two, it's nearly impossible to get a sharp picture.  After getting home, I checked the pictures and sure enough, none of them are as sharp as my 18-55 kit lens.  Nice color and contrast sure,  but at 100% everything is a blurry mess.
I checked some reviews online and a few mentioned zoom wobble on the 16-80, but usually just at the extreme extension.  I assume it shouldn't wobble noticeably at any zoom level?  Has anyone with a 16-80Z experienced this problem?  If so, was the lens repaired or replaced?  It was a used lens sold as "Like New" with a warranty.  I've contacted the seller and I'm waiting to see what happens.
Thanks for any input.
-Clark

The LA-EA2 (and any SLT till today, it may change in the future) has no mirror flip. IT is in that place and doesnt move. It is partially transparten, partially reflective (2/3ds vs 1/3rd aprox). So that shouldnt be a problem.

Can you post some pictures with the full exif data? I have the LAEA2 and was considering this lens, but was also waiting to see what is release for the nex first.

TiagoReil's gear list:TiagoReil's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
paul1508
Regular MemberPosts: 363
Like?

I would expect your shutter time was just to long for your type of holding still...

OSS in the Kit-lens would have helped a lot there, but with A-mount you need higher shutter speeds, what is bad, since you already loose some light because of the translucent mirror...

jack scholl
Senior MemberPosts: 2,826Gear list
Like?

Rccarruth,

We have had no such problems with the LA-EA2/SAL1680z combo.  The following were taken with that combo on a Nex 7. .

The 16-80 is one of the sharpest lenses we have ever used . . .

Jack

-- hide signature --
 jack scholl's gear list:jack scholl's gear list
Sony a6000 Nikon 1 V3 Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS +6 more
blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 6,786Gear list
Like?

Rccarruth wrote:

Thanks for any input.
-Clark

Clark,

I suggest to inspect three different issues:

1. Zoom wobble. This typically refers to the barrel play when fully extended. The inner barrel can move a small degree within the outer barrel. This deals with lens construction and setup. Annoying as it may be, this should not affect the image quality, unless something is very wrong - e.g. the degree of wobble causes lens misalignment. Most likely this can be repaired with a few screw tightening (inside the lens).

2. Blurry mess. As other are hinting, the LA-EA2 with lens does not have OS, as the kit lens does. You should be able to get a sharp picture if your shutter speeds are sufficiently fast enough. Can you post some images of the pictures that you are referring to? I'd like to see the EXIF data on the images.

3. Wobble in lens adapters. This has come up several times with the cheap China-made adapters. They use leaf springs to hold the lens, and sometimes these leaf (metal bulges) are repressed. Carefully extending them with a knife or screwdriver does the trick. I would not expect this with the OEM equipment, but the check is easy. Can you move the lens and camera with respect to each other (outer barrel of the lens, not inner barrel)? If so, one of the lens mount should have the springs adjusted.

Either way, if the seller offered you warranty, I would not worry too much, you will be able to resolve this one way or another.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +30 more
pevece
Forum MemberPosts: 90Gear list
Like?
In reply to blue_skies, Apr 9, 2013

did you apply AF micro adjustment ?

Rccarruth
Like?
In reply to pevece, Apr 9, 2013

Thanks everyone for the input. I don't think I was considering the effects of shake without OSS strongly enough.  I believe while there is zoom wobble, shake at slower shutter speeds is the culprit causing the blur.  Most of last night's pics were taken between 1/80 and 1/125.  I went out and took some pics today in brighter sunlight.  These two pics in particular I think really illustrate the effect.  Try to read the writing on the white truck in the first pic at 1/400 and then look at the second pic at 1/800.

And here's some pics from last night.  None of these is supposed to be a photographic masterpiece and everything is jpeg straight OOC. I haven't changed any of the camera's JPEG settings from the defaults as I usually use RAW.

Rccarruth
Like?
In reply to TiagoReil, Apr 9, 2013

TiagoReil wrote:

Rccarruth wrote:

Thanks for any input.
-Clark

The LA-EA2 (and any SLT till today, it may change in the future) has no mirror flip. IT is in that place and doesnt move. It is partially transparten, partially reflective (2/3ds vs 1/3rd aprox). So that shouldnt be a problem.

Can you post some pictures with the full exif data? I have the LAEA2 and was considering this lens, but was also waiting to see what is release for the nex first.

Thanks for explaining! I snapped some pics today with the kit 18-55 and the 16-80Z. All of the pics are at 24mm, F8, ISO400, 1/800 on both lenses. I did three pics from each lense of the same scene to account for shutter shake issues, hoping for at least one relatively still shot with the Zeiss.

Unfortunately, this comparison is still looking better for the kit lens to me.  On the Zeiss, I've lost all detail on the tree trunk, truck license plate, the vents to the left of the third story window, etc...

First, the 18-55 pics.

18-55

18-55

18-55

And here are the 16-80Z pics.

16-80Z

16-80Z

16-80Z

sergerez
Regular MemberPosts: 189
Like?

I second the others:

Wobbling in SAL1680Z is a well known problem, but it very unlikely contributes to luck of sharpness, at least for most of them. However, the tolerances on that lens are shameful, and Zeiss logo should never be put on it. Some experts say that it was designed and made by Cosina, but I don't have proof of that. I sold mine and replaced it with Tamron 17-50 F2.8, and never looked back. The only advantage of 16-80 is color, (and reach of course) but it's a matter of taste. You might want to look for other alternatives, the faster the better: neither Nex nor LA-EA2 have OSS.

Regards,

Serge

Rccarruth wrote:

TiagoReil wrote:

Rccarruth wrote:

Thanks for any input.
-Clark

Thanks for explaining! I snapped some pics today with the kit 18-55 and the 16-80Z. All of the pics are at 24mm, F8, ISO400, 1/800 on both lenses. I did three pics from each lense of the same scene to account for shutter shake issues, hoping for at least one relatively still shot with the Zeiss.

Unfortunately, this comparison is still looking better for the kit lens to me.  On the Zeiss, I've lost all detail on the tree trunk, truck license plate, the vents to the left of the third story window, etc...

First, the 18-55 pics.

18-55

18-55

18-55

And here are the 16-80Z pics.

16-80Z

16-80Z

16-80Z

daddyman
Regular MemberPosts: 133Gear list
Like?

I think the pix at the higher shutter speeds are sharp, so you have found the problem. While I haven't used this lens on a NEX, it was on my A700 for 2 years and I was extremely pleased with sharpness, color, and microcontrast. Some earlier versions had back focus issues, but that is not the problem here.

Mike

daddyman's gear list:daddyman's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +1 more
Rccarruth
Like?
In reply to daddyman, Apr 12, 2013

After that second round of testing I decided to send the lens back.  Three pics in row at 1/800 with nothing in the frame sharper than my kit lens.  Something isn't working right.

-Clark

Letsgokoulos
Senior MemberPosts: 1,423
Like?
In reply to Rccarruth, Apr 12, 2013

Rccarruth wrote:

After that second round of testing I decided to send the lens back.  Three pics in row at 1/800 with nothing in the frame sharper than my kit lens.  Something isn't working right.

-Clark

Just a last check, before you send the lens back, it is important that youensure that the "Front Curtain Shutter is set as follows:

"When a Minolta/Konica Minolta lens is used, set this item to [Off]. If you set this item to [On], the correct exposure will not be set or the image brightness will be uneven."

Hope it helps !

Marc

Anthony Kunkel
Contributing MemberPosts: 847Gear list
Like?
My combo with Nex7 is great
In reply to Rccarruth, Apr 12, 2013

The only problem mine has is a little zoom creep. I hope Sony comes out with an E mount version of this lens because I want a little better portability. I will be selling the adapter and lens and just using my CZ24, Sel50, sel10-18, and Contax G 90 until a good zoom is available.

Anthony Kunkel's gear list:Anthony Kunkel's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a6000 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32 +1 more
Rccarruth
Like?
In reply to Letsgokoulos, Apr 12, 2013

Letsgokoulos wrote:

Rccarruth wrote:

-Clark

Just a last check, before you send the lens back, it is important that youensure that the "Front Curtain Shutter is set as follows:

"When a Minolta/Konica Minolta lens is used, set this item to [Off]. If you set this item to [On], the correct exposure will not be set or the image brightness will be uneven."

Hope it helps !

Marc

It's already in the mail but I'll definitely check this setting anyway.  Thanks for the tip!
-Clark

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads