OT: ISSUES WITH LION

Started Apr 9, 2013 | Discussions
Harv
Senior MemberPosts: 2,741
Like?
OT: ISSUES WITH LION
Apr 9, 2013

I just upgraded to Lion from Snow Leopard. Why does it ask me for AUTHENTICATION when I move a folder from the hard drive to the desktop? Also, why does it copy instead of just being moved. Same if I move a file in a folder to another folder. Any way to shut this off?u

EricWN
Senior MemberPosts: 1,139
Like?
Re: OT: ISSUES WITH LION
In reply to Harv, Apr 9, 2013

From which folder do you try to copy? maybe it's a special folder, like applications for example?

Interesting issue you describe with copying/moving. I think this is the same on all version of OS X. If you drag a file within the hierarchy of the same volume, it should be moved by OS X. If you drag something to a different volume, OS X will copy it. Pressing command in the process should force OS X to move the file instead.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Harv
Like?
In reply to EricWN, Apr 9, 2013

Thanks Eric. I am a very experienced Mac  user. I have much experience moving files to different folders or folders/files to the desktop. Lion has me baffled. No I am discovering the the 447 GB on stuff on my older iMac has become almost 1 T on the new, using Lion.

graybalanced
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,953
Like?
In reply to Harv, Apr 10, 2013

I experienced similar weirdness and noticed that OS X has increased the permissions on the Applications and Utilities folders, which resulted in additional requests for authentication. It cleared up after I had done some work repairing permissions AND the ACLs from the Recovery Volume, but I don't know exactly which fixed it.

webfrasse
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,766
Like?

Harv wrote:

Thanks Eric. I am a very experienced Mac  user. I have much experience moving files to different folders or folders/files to the desktop. Lion has me baffled. No I am discovering the the 447 GB on stuff on my older iMac has become almost 1 T on the new, using Lion.

There is no such change in OSX. This is a user error and you have surely duplicated your data somewhere. How did you install Lion? Did you use the Migration Assistant to import User Accounts, Data and Apps?

-- hide signature --

Mikael

webfrasse
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,766
Like?

Harv wrote:

I just upgraded to Lion from Snow Leopard. Why does it ask me for AUTHENTICATION when I move a folder from the hard drive to the desktop? Also, why does it copy instead of just being moved. Same if I move a file in a folder to another folder. Any way to shut this off?u

This has always been like that in OSX. There was never any Move operation being replaced by a Copy ditto.

-- hide signature --

Mikael

Tom_N
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,186
Like?
In reply to webfrasse, Apr 10, 2013

webfrasse wrote:

Harv wrote:

This has always been like that in OSX. There was never any Move operation being replaced by a Copy ditto.

The Finder has always done a "Copy" if you drag files to another volume, and a "Move" if you drag them to another area of the same volume to which you have write permissions.

I think he's complaining that he's doing a "Move" on the same volume, and it's treated as a "Copy", which would suggest, perhaps, a lack of ownership/write permissions for the source file/directory.

Najinsky
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,598
Like?
In reply to webfrasse, Apr 10, 2013

webfrasse wrote:

Harv wrote:

There is no such change in OSX. This is a user error and you have surely duplicated your data somewhere. How did you install Lion? Did you use the Migration Assistant to import User Accounts, Data and Apps?

I agree in principle but simplifying it to user error doesn't help much. Ain't a user alive who doesn't make errors, that's why apps come with an undo command and delete puts stuff in a trashcan rather than really deleting it.

The key issue is what has gone wrong?

The main thing the OP needs to understand is that he is not learning Lion differences here. Lion is fundamentally the same as other OSX versions. Everything works more or less the same, with a few changes under the hood in support of enhanced security and a slight change in focus on the UI (gradual shift to touch).

The missing space, the copy instead of move, and the requests for authentication, all point to the same thing. A user permissions problem.

If you don't have full access to the source, a move becomes a copy. That's just standard OSX. A drag would normally move (on the same volume), but that requires permission to modify the source, if you don't have that, it becomes a copy.

That would explain both the extra space used and the move changing to copy.

If you don't have the required permission to the Target, that would explain the Authentication request.

So this smells strongly of a user permission problem.

However, the extra space suggests that a further issue may have now been caused because of those permissions. So there are two problems to attack. The permissions and the space.

First, I'd attack the permission issue (it might also fix the space issue).

Have a read through this support discussion at the Apple forum including the referenced links. Just so you can relate to impact of user permission problems.

If you think you have a user permission problem, reset your permissions and ACLs. See the last paragraph of this posting for instructions. It's quite simple, and will probably fix the underlying issue.

To recover the missing space, once the permissions and ACLs have been fixed, create/copy any file and then delete it. Then empty the trash and see if the space comes back.

If not, download Omni Disk Sweeper (free) or WhatSize (now shareware but older versions were free and may be cached somewhere) to track down where the space has gone and deal with it accordingly.

If you find your data has been duplicated, make sure you find out which version you've been working with and updating before deleting it.

-Najinsky

Harv
Like?
In reply to Tom_N, Apr 10, 2013

No, I am a very experienced Mac user. I know how to handle permissions and the like. I did not double copy. Also, I've had the infamous .dmg fail to mount issues. But I am patient and will get to the root of these issues. Lion has simply been doing weird things that I never experience with Snow Leopard.

Robert F. Tobler
Senior MemberPosts: 1,025Gear list
Like?

Harv wrote:

No I am discovering the the 447 GB on stuff on my older iMac has become almost 1 T on the new, using Lion.

Normally this cannot happen. If you haven't changed the organization of your "stuff" the size on disk must be the same...

So this issue has nothing to do with lion, but is a symptom of some other problem with your "stuff".

Greetings,

Robert

-- hide signature --
 Robert F. Tobler's gear list:Robert F. Tobler's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill
Harv
Like?
In reply to Najinsky, Apr 10, 2013

Thanks for all the help, it is a user permissions issue. Now it works moving folders, etc. works exactly the way it did on Snow Leopard. However, I still have almost double the amount I had on my older computer. I went through the entire hard drive and found only a few duplicates.   Again, thanks for your help and patience.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads