HS50EXR - SL1000 - Any other superzoom - Which one to buy ??

Started Apr 9, 2013 | Questions
VTRoB
New MemberPosts: 21Gear list
Like?
Re: HS50EXR - SL1000 - Any other superzoom - Which one to buy ??
In reply to MarvinErich, Apr 13, 2013

I am going to start a new thread compareing the Fuji SL1000 and Sony HX300 and will post some photos in it.

VTRoB's gear list:VTRoB's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix SL1000 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX300 Fujifilm FinePix HS30EXR
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Sactojim
Senior MemberPosts: 2,787
Like?
From the Fuji S8200 40x camera
In reply to chai1491, Apr 15, 2013

Thought I would throw this into the mix: I got the new Fuji S8200 40x camera last week and it's been a joy to use. Good IQ, excellent ergonomics and menu, video is on par with ANY zoom camera, including Sony. It has a CMOS 16MP sensor that has given me some very good images. These are currently going for less than $300. and a good alternative to the HS30/50. It does not have RAW though..but I only shoot RAW with my DSLR's. A few pics from the camera:

paulsinclair73
Junior MemberPosts: 38
Like?
In reply to milind2110, Apr 15, 2013

milind2110 wrote:

Hi, I am a camera enthusiast & own, at present, HS10 and want to buy "all in one, superzoom bridge camera" like HS50EXR or SL1000 or CanonSX50HS but cant decide which one to buy,( I normally depend on the DP Review & specs of the camera)

Need an experts view / suggestions / advice on which one to buy.

Previously, I have owned "Yashica FX3", "Minolta XD-11", "Nikon N-60" & then "Minolta DIMAGE1" & then "HS10"

Looking forward to some valuable suggestions on this please.

Thnx.

Hi, having owned an HS10 since they came out I was tempted by the HS50 a few weeks ago. I've not spent a huge amount of time with it yet, but from what I've seen so far the difference in image quality between the two cameras isn't huge but the shot-to-shot time is incredible.

The only thing that annoyed me about the HS10 was the time it took to write to card- even using the fastest sandisk cards available. I was happy with everything else.

Longer zoom and almost instant writing speeds sold it for me. Even though it is larger than the 10 it is only fractionally so, and it fits in the same lowepro bag I used for the 10 (albeit a little more snuggly).

So it depends what you are looking for that the HS10 doesn't do. Bridge cameras are only going to go so far in image quality (particularly the superzooms), and one could easily get lost in the arguments going around the forum about who's toy is best (really - the difference between them is negligible), but if you like the feel of the HS10, the manual zoom, and the look of Fuji output but would like more zoom and a massive (I cannot stress just how much quicker the HS50 is compared to the HS10) improvement in shot time, then the HS50 is the only option.

Hope that helps

Cheers Paul

2raj
Senior MemberPosts: 2,135Gear list
Like?
Paul...
In reply to paulsinclair73, Apr 15, 2013

You just confirmed what I was afraid of

HS50 is faster, with more zoom, but only marginally better than the HS10 in terms of IQ.

So, was it worth the price of the upgrade?

Were you able to sell the HS10? I haven't had much luck.

Thanks.

-- hide signature --

Just a Pixelpusher, currently experimenting with Fuji HS10 and Panasonic LX5

2raj's gear list:2raj's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F40fd Fujifilm FinePix HS10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5
paulsinclair73
Like?
Re: Paul...
In reply to 2raj, Apr 15, 2013

2raj wrote:

HS50 is faster, with more zoom, but only marginally better than the HS10 in terms of IQ.

Thanks.

-- hide signature --

Hi,

Sold the HS10 on ebay for £100 - this will only go down as more and more of them come on the market due to upgrading. Bought the HS50 from Argos for £419 - so £319 to upgrade to the 50.

I'm happy with the upgrade - yes. I loved the feel of the HS10 but the shot time was really starting to grate - particularly when travelling and you want / need to grab shots quickly. I used to have a couple of film SLR's and got sick of carrying around lenses so for me any kind of body and lens system is a no-no, even though the image quality will be better, but then again for what I use the images for the HS10 / 50 produces decent shots.

The deciding point was the manual zoom. I loved this on the 10 and there aren't that many options available - so went I went for the 50 on the basis that I was basically upgrading shot time and zoom. The EXR system is something to get used to, and it seems that this camera does need a little tweaking with the settings to get what you want out of it, although I suspect that it's an issue of image stabilistation, noise reduction and sharpening that's causing a lot of these quite grim shots one can find on Flickr (for example).

I spent a fair bit of time doing the research and it got to the point that I though I may as well just get it, and rather than spend the time waiting to see what other people are producing with it I can get to know it first hand.

There are quite a few people on this forum who can provide you with all manner of technical information, but for me (and from a purely real world usage visual perspective) all of the superzooms will produce relatively comparable images but I prefer the way the HS50 feels to use.

Cheers

Paul

Tim39
Senior MemberPosts: 2,862
Like?

paulsinclair73 wrote:

I spent a fair bit of time doing the research and it got to the point that I though I may as well just get it, and rather than spend the time waiting to see what other people are producing with it I can get to know it first hand.

Sooner or later, I think we all end up that way. 

-- hide signature --

Tim

2raj
Like?

paulsinclair73 wrote:

2raj wrote:

Thanks.

-- hide signature --

Hi,

Sold the HS10 on ebay for £100 - this will only go down as more and more of them come on the market due to upgrading. Bought the HS50 from Argos for £419 - so £319 to upgrade to the 50.

I'm happy with the upgrade - yes. I loved the feel of the HS10 but the shot time was really starting to grate - particularly when travelling and you want / need to grab shots quickly. I used to have a couple of film SLR's and got sick of carrying around lenses so for me any kind of body and lens system is a no-no, even though the image quality will be better, but then again for what I use the images for the HS10 / 50 produces decent shots.

The deciding point was the manual zoom. I loved this on the 10 and there aren't that many options available - so went I went for the 50 on the basis that I was basically upgrading shot time and zoom. The EXR system is something to get used to, and it seems that this camera does need a little tweaking with the settings to get what you want out of it, although I suspect that it's an issue of image stabilistation, noise reduction and sharpening that's causing a lot of these quite grim shots one can find on Flickr (for example).

There are quite a few people on this forum who can provide you with all manner of technical information, but for me (and from a purely real world usage visual perspective) all of the superzooms will produce relatively comparable images but I prefer the way the HS50 feels to use.

Cheers

Paul

Thanks for the response. I'm with you on the manual zoom--that's one of the reasons I'm in the Fuji camp, that and the colors the Fuji produces.

From a technical point, better focussing, processing speed and IQ are the key items.

Appreciate your input.

Best regards,

raj...

-- hide signature --

paulsinclair73
Like?
In reply to 2raj, Apr 15, 2013

2raj wrote:

paulsinclair73 wrote:

2raj wrote:

Thanks.

-- hide signature --

Hi,

Cheers

Paul

Thanks for the response. I'm with you on the manual zoom--that's one of the reasons I'm in the Fuji camp, that and the colors the Fuji produces.

From a technical point, better focussing, processing speed and IQ are the key items.

Appreciate your input.

Best regards,

raj...

-- hide signature --

Raj,

You've just reminded me of a couple of other nice features the 50 has over the 10. The EVF is very clear, the focusing is very quick (though too close and too much zoom it can struggle almost as much as the 10) and when using the manual focus ring the software really pushes up the contrast on sharp edges so that you can tell exactly what's in focus (as it's a previewing mechanism the output doesn't display these contrast lines), very useful when shooting short dof and you want an eye rather than a nose in focus (as I discovered with my 11month old) - though small children and manual focus are not a recommended combination

cheers

paul

2raj
Like?

paulsinclair73 wrote:

2raj wrote:

paulsinclair73 wrote:

2raj wrote:

Thanks.

-- hide signature --

Hi,

Cheers

Paul

Appreciate your input.

Best regards,

raj...

-- hide signature --

Raj,

You've just reminded me of a couple of other nice features the 50 has over the 10. The EVF is very clear, the focusing is very quick (though too close and too much zoom it can struggle almost as much as the 10) and when using the manual focus ring the software really pushes up the contrast on sharp edges so that you can tell exactly what's in focus (as it's a previewing mechanism the output doesn't display these contrast lines), very useful when shooting short dof and you want an eye rather than a nose in focus (as I discovered with my 11month old) - though small children and manual focus are not a recommended combination

cheers

paul

Those are good updates as well. Focusing is my #1 gripe with the HS10, glad the 50 is much improved, and edge-sharpened previews are a neat feature since with the HS10 I could rarely tell whether it was focussing where it should, until after the shot was taken. I have tons of pics where it looked fine in camera, but upon viewing on the computer, it showed missed focus.

Best regards,

raj...

-- hide signature --

morganfj
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
In reply to milind2110, 11 months ago

milind2110 wrote:

Hi, I am a camera enthusiast & own, at present, HS10 and want to buy "all in one, superzoom bridge camera" like HS50EXR or SL1000 or CanonSX50HS but cant decide which one to buy,( I normally depend on the DP Review & specs of the camera)

Previously, I have owned "Yashica FX3", "Minolta XD-11", "Nikon N-60" & then "Minolta DIMAGE1" & then "HS10"

Thnx.

Cameras are all good you listed.

Look for features you may use. For example, do you need exposures longer than 8 seconds, the the SL1000 would be your choice.  I have found that all of these perform about the same though I prefer the SL1000 due to features verses price.

Sactojim
Like?
In reply to morganfj, 11 months ago

morganfj wrote:

milind2110 wrote:

Thnx.

Look for features you may use. For example, do you need exposures longer than 8 seconds, the the SL1000 would be your choice. I have found that all of these perform about the same though I prefer the SL1000 due to features verses price.

If you or anyone has some images taken with the SL1000, I would really love to see them. This cam has many of the features I want..especially with the CMOS sensor. I also like the fact that Fuji put a high end EVF on it along with a superb LCD. Thanks!

jcmarfilph
Senior MemberPosts: 7,592Gear list
Like?
In reply to Sactojim, 11 months ago

Sactojim wrote:

morganfj wrote:

milind2110 wrote:

Thnx.

Look for features you may use. For example, do you need exposures longer than 8 seconds, the the SL1000 would be your choice. I have found that all of these perform about the same though I prefer the SL1000 due to features verses price.

If you or anyone has some images taken with the SL1000, I would really love to see them. This cam has many of the features I want..especially with the CMOS sensor. I also like the fact that Fuji put a high end EVF on it along with a superb LCD. Thanks!

If you only like that fact that it is slow motorized zoom and has longer zoom then that is understandable otherwise HS50 is a much better camera in any way.

-=[ Joms ]=-

jcmarfilph's gear list:jcmarfilph's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR +1 more
Sactojim
Like?
In reply to jcmarfilph, 11 months ago

jcmarfilph wrote:

Sactojim wrote:

morganfj wrote:

milind2110 wrote:

Thnx.

If you only like that fact that it is slow motorized zoom and has longer zoom then that is understandable otherwise HS50 is a much better camera in any way.

-=[ Joms ]=-

Joms, I think you overestimate the slight benefit of a manual zoom..nice to have, but not necessary. And longer zoom is only as good as the sensor and good glass work in tandem. From what I have seen between the HS30/HS50, the IQ is not quite there when compared to Canon's SX40/50 series and the Nikon P510. Fuji's CMOS sensor in this should be do a great job with IQ, but there is darn little images from it, especially someone knowledgeable, to determine it's IQ.

jcmarfilph
Like?

Sactojim wrote:

jcmarfilph wrote:

Sactojim wrote:

morganfj wrote:

milind2110 wrote:

Thnx.

-=[ Joms ]=-

Joms, I think you overestimate the slight benefit of a manual zoom..nice to have, but not necessary. And longer zoom is only as good as the sensor and good glass work in tandem. From what I have seen between the HS30/HS50, the IQ is not quite there when compared to Canon's SX40/50 series and the Nikon P510. Fuji's CMOS sensor in this should be do a great job with IQ, but there is darn little images from it, especially someone knowledgeable, to determine it's IQ.

SX40 IQ is no better than HS50 based on my own side by side unbiased, unpaid comparisons. SX50/SL1000 will definitely have a slight edge on the long zoom end if you shoot the same distant subject within the same distance vs HS50 because of the longer zoom. HS50 has FSI CMOS + EXR processor and slightly larger sensor than those motoyrized superzoom so I am not sure why do you think a 2nd tier SL1000 camera from Fuji will beat its flagship camera (X-S1 is better in sheer IQ). Do you want me to compare SX50 vs HS50? Stay tuned...

-=[ Joms ]=-

Sactojim
Like?

jcmarfilph wrote:

Sactojim wrote:

jcmarfilph wrote:

Sactojim wrote:

morganfj wrote:

milind2110 wrote:

Thnx.

-=[ Joms ]=-

SX40 IQ is no better than HS50 based on my own side by side unbiased, unpaid comparisons. SX50/SL1000 will definitely have a slight edge on the long zoom end if you shoot the same distant subject within the same distance vs HS50 because of the longer zoom. HS50 has FSI CMOS + EXR processor and slightly larger sensor than those motoyrized superzoom so I am not sure why do you think a 2nd tier SL1000 camera from Fuji will beat its flagship camera (X-S1 is better in sheer IQ). Do you want me to compare SX50 vs HS50? Stay tuned...

-=[ Joms ]=-

Sorry Joms, but the only Fuji with really good IQ is the X-S1 and that's not a cam I'm interested in as the price is in DSLR territory and I have that covered. I've seen enough of the Canon SX40/50 images (even the Nikon P510 and the FZ200)  to give them a nod over the HS30/HS50 Fuji's.

Post 3 of your best/strongest IQ pics from your HS50 and I'll see what I can come up with on my Sx40. You can even shoot RAW, but mine will be JPEG.

jcmarfilph
Like?

Sactojim wrote:

jcmarfilph wrote:

Sactojim wrote:

jcmarfilph wrote:

Sactojim wrote:

morganfj wrote:

milind2110 wrote:

Thnx.

-=[ Joms ]=-

-=[ Joms ]=-

Sorry Joms, but the only Fuji with really good IQ is the X-S1 and that's not a cam I'm interested in as the price is in DSLR territory and I have that covered. I've seen enough of the Canon SX40/50 images (even the Nikon P510 and the FZ200) to give them a nod over the HS30/HS50 Fuji's.

Post 3 of your best/strongest IQ pics from your HS50 and I'll see what I can come up with on my Sx40. You can even shoot RAW, but mine will be JPEG.

Have you seen a side-by-side comparison versus HS50? No? How can you nod to those cameras just by looking at the totally and completely different shots?

Post my best from HS50 and your best from SX40? How about side-by-side?

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3475589

-=[ Joms ]=-

Sactojim
Like?
3 From SX40

jcmarfilph wrote:

Sactojim wrote:

jcmarfilph wrote:

Sactojim wrote:

jcmarfilph wrote:

Sactojim wrote:

morganfj wrote:

milind2110 wrote:

Thnx.

-=[ Joms ]=-

-=[ Joms ]=-

Sorry Joms, but the only Fuji with really good IQ is the X-S1 and that's not a cam I'm interested in as the price is in DSLR territory and I have that covered. I've seen enough of the Canon SX40/50 images (even the Nikon P510 and the FZ200) to give them a nod over the HS30/HS50 Fuji's.

Have you seen a side-by-side comparison versus HS50? No? How can you nod to those cameras just by looking at the totally and completely different shots?

Post my best from HS50 and your best from SX40? How about side-by-side?

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3475589

-=[ Joms ]=-

Ok Joms, here's my three from this Wednesdays wet and rainy hike at Lake Tahoe. We seldom get rain in N. California this time of year, but it came down in buckets with thunder and lighting. The dogs were not happy!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads