HS50EXR - SL1000 - Any other superzoom - Which one to buy ??

Started Apr 9, 2013 | Questions
milind2110
New MemberPosts: 16
Like?
HS50EXR - SL1000 - Any other superzoom - Which one to buy ??
Apr 9, 2013

Hi, I am a camera enthusiast & own, at present, HS10 and want to buy "all in one, superzoom bridge camera" like HS50EXR or SL1000 or CanonSX50HS but cant decide which one to buy,( I normally depend on the DP Review & specs of the camera)

Need an experts view / suggestions / advice on which one to buy.

Previously, I have owned "Yashica FX3", "Minolta XD-11", "Nikon N-60" & then "Minolta DIMAGE1" & then "HS10"

Looking forward to some valuable suggestions on this please.

Thnx.

ANSWER:
FujiFilm FinePix HS10 (FinePix HS11) Fujifilm FinePix SL1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
MarvinErich
Junior MemberPosts: 39Gear list
Like?
Re: HS50EXR - SL1000 - Any other superzoom - Which one to buy ??
In reply to milind2110, Apr 9, 2013

milind2110 wrote:

Hi, I am a camera enthusiast & own, at present, HS10 and want to buy "all in one, superzoom bridge camera" like HS50EXR or SL1000 or CanonSX50HS but cant decide which one to buy,( I normally depend on the DP Review & specs of the camera)

Previously, I have owned "Yashica FX3", "Minolta XD-11", "Nikon N-60" & then "Minolta DIMAGE1" & then "HS10"

Thnx.

In Super Zoom category the HS50 beats all in my opinion. I was waiting years to get a nicest camera, I saw SX50, I saw P520, but when HS50 was announced, I freak out. But remember, still a small sensor and poor image quality compareted with professional cameras.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
graham the red
Regular MemberPosts: 292Gear list
Like?
In reply to MarvinErich, Apr 9, 2013

I have the nikon P510 which does produce superb results. This was taken this morning on a dull drizzly day at full optical and digital zoom.Iso 400 1/60th @4.9 . The camera was resting precariously on the window sill and whilst it's clear that there are no prizes for sharpness here I wanted the Robin in closeup and I got it. Thats 2000mm !! in 35 mm terms I believe.

In sunny conditions and a tripod it will giveĀ  excellent picture quality but like all the current choices it does have the small sensor so you have to accept the limitations. I'm considering the Fuji Sl1000 becauseĀ I want the extra reach and the extremely useful 24mm wide and raw ,which the Nikon doesn't have.

Im guessing the picture quality will be good in all the long zoom bridge cameras ,so it's the bells and whistles which will make the difference. Good luck in your choice anyway.

graham the red's gear list:graham the red's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS
selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
jcmarfilph
Senior MemberPosts: 7,322Gear list
Like?
In reply to milind2110, Apr 9, 2013

milind2110 wrote:

Thnx.

Get the HS50EXR, it trumps any competitor's superzoom out there in built, handling, performance and ergonomics.  IQ is the similar to FZ200 and SX50. FZ200 has advantage in gaining fast shutter speed. SX50 in reach.

-=[ Joms ]=-

jcmarfilph's gear list:jcmarfilph's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR +1 more
graham the red
Regular MemberPosts: 292Gear list
Like?
In reply to jcmarfilph, Apr 9, 2013

I'd forgotten about the HS 50 which has the bigger sensor . It's heavier and bigger than the others I think but it has got some good reviews. Wonder why they didn't use that sensor in the 1000?

graham the red's gear list:graham the red's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS
MarvinErich
Like?
In reply to graham the red, Apr 9, 2013

graham the red wrote:

I'd forgotten about the HS 50 which has the bigger sensor . It's heavier and bigger than the others I think but it has got some good reviews. Wonder why they didn't use that sensor in the 1000?

If they put 1/2" sensor, will need more focal length to get 1200mm equiv, so it is become a problem.

nicknd99
Regular MemberPosts: 183Gear list
Like?

What about the XS1 which has a bit larger sensor, and isn't too much larger than the HS50?  I purchased a "Like New" used one from Amazon in the $400's.

nicknd99's gear list:nicknd99's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X-S1 Fujifilm XF1 Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-E1 +15 more
MarvinErich
Like?
In reply to nicknd99, Apr 9, 2013

nicknd99 wrote:

What about the XS1 which has a bit larger sensor, and isn't too much larger than the HS50?  I purchased a "Like New" used one from Amazon in the $400's.

Fuji X-S1 goes 24mm to 624mm. It's only 26x zoom because your sensor is big . But it's still a good option.

norland
Forum MemberPosts: 97
Like?
Fuji X-S1 goes 24mm to 624mm. It's only 26x zoom because your sensor is big . But it's still a good option.

Could any users confirm how its image quality compares to the HS50 (not to mention Panasonic  FZ200 and Canon SX50)?

Had actually wondered about the X-S1 early on in trying to pick a new camera, but some downloaded review "test" images appeared so absolutely abysmal compared to just about any other camera, it got ruled out.

Was rather puzzled though, since with the specification of the XS-1, its results surely ought to have looked better than most -- not worse.

nicknd99
Like?
In reply to norland, Apr 10, 2013

I stopped by my local Costco this evening and they had a FZ200 on display.  Crap, now I'm second guessing my XS1...ugh.  Make no mistake, the XS1 feels like a different class of camera (which I suppose it is in some ways given its larger sensor and DSLR-like feel and ergonomics), but that constant 2.8 lens was something.  Focus felt much faster than my XS1, and the viewfinder was great if unfortunately cramped compared to the XS1.  I also liked the swivel screen compared to the hinged of the Fuji. Two motorized ways to zoom, but of course no manual zoom...such a plus with the Fuji XS1 (and HS series).  That being said, the lens zoomed out to max pretty quickly.  One major thing that got my attention was how much more effective the stabilization was.  I was shooting full zoom, handheld, and the shots look great....on the camera's LCD.  Could be a different story when view on a proper monitor.  Regardless, the faster lens allowed for a larger aperture and faster shutter speed. Anyway, I won't go into features as those can easily be found, but I think I'm going to drop by Costco again soon, but next time with a SD card for some test photos.

norland
Forum MemberPosts: 97
Like?
In reply to nicknd99, Apr 10, 2013

nicknd99 wrote:

Make no mistake, the XS1 feels like a different class of camera (which I suppose it is in some ways given its larger sensor

Does the XS1 produce good image quality in low and dull light while at higher ISO settings?

Also, read people who like the XS1 commenting that its images are "soft" (though ok for them) ... would that be softness due to the lens, or to the camera's internal processing?

nicknd99
Like?
In reply to norland, Apr 10, 2013

Hmm, too new in my hands to tell.  I'll snap a pic or two and post in a minute.  I just did some misc shots around the house, but the shots were just an excuse to use the camera, nothing controlled.  In other words, just having fun.

EXR M-Size DR400 Auto ISO 400 Auto White Balance

I shot this handheld which is evident when zoomed.  Sorry, not being lazy, just exhausted from a long day.

KJaay
Senior MemberPosts: 2,566Gear list
Like?

Looks good to me!

-- hide signature --

KJ

KJaay's gear list:KJaay's gear list
Canon PowerShot S3 IS Fujifilm X-S1 Canon EOS 450D
MarvinErich
Like?

nicknd99 wrote:

I stopped by my local Costco this evening and they had a FZ200 on display.  Crap, now I'm second guessing my XS1...ugh.  Make no mistake, the XS1 feels like a different class of camera (which I suppose it is in some ways given its larger sensor and DSLR-like feel and ergonomics), but that constant 2.8 lens was something.  Focus felt much faster than my XS1, and the viewfinder was great if unfortunately cramped compared to the XS1.  I also liked the swivel screen compared to the hinged of the Fuji. Two motorized ways to zoom, but of course no manual zoom...such a plus with the Fuji XS1 (and HS series).  That being said, the lens zoomed out to max pretty quickly.  One major thing that got my attention was how much more effective the stabilization was.  I was shooting full zoom, handheld, and the shots look great....on the camera's LCD.  Could be a different story when view on a proper monitor.  Regardless, the faster lens allowed for a larger aperture and faster shutter speed. Anyway, I won't go into features as those can easily be found, but I think I'm going to drop by Costco again soon, but next time with a SD card for some test photos.

That is the reason I am waiting Fuji X-S2 (And hope they release it). With rise of HS50, some features on X-S1 became old.

nicknd99
Like?
In reply to MarvinErich, Apr 10, 2013

What are a few features that would top your wishlist for an X-S2?

I wonder if the technology gap that exists between the XS-1 and it's newer cousins (HS50, FZ200, etc) make up for it's larger sensor benefit?

MarvinErich
Like?

nicknd99 wrote:

What are a few features that would top your wishlist for an X-S2?

I wonder if the technology gap that exists between the XS-1 and it's newer cousins (HS50, FZ200, etc) make up for it's larger sensor benefit?

In fact, I will not see my wishlist top features as soon. I wanna see a APS-C sensor on it with 1200mm focal lenght, but there is a lot physics problems that any brand have to resolve.

By now, just improve IQ (That's fuji are forgetting in my opinion)
Better AF - As hybrid system phase detection as HS50
Better display resolution... 920kdots minimum
High Dynamic Range
and better aperture - That was a great feature of panasonic FZ200 takes f/2.8 in all zoom range.

I don't believe that is a technology gap in sensors. An old 10 years camera can take a great shot, better that any bridge camera.

Dr JLW
Regular MemberPosts: 457
Like?
In reply to MarvinErich, Apr 12, 2013

I recently went from an HS-10 to the HS-30.  My choice was price driven, Costco had them for $250 including some other goodies.

Price was not the only factor.  I have spent a lot of time learning the HS-10 and the HS-30 leveraged that and, this is the point, the HS-30 was a great improvement on the one aspect of the HS-10 I hated.

I like in camera panoramas.  When you shoot them with an HS-10 you wait a long time for in camera stitching.  The HS-30 and possible HS-50 has them ready almost instantly.  There are still stitching errors but at least I can see I have a problem without the long wait.  I am often travel with a group, so that wait time was an issue.

Panoramas may not be your thing but the same principle applies.  Ask yourself what you would most like to see improved and pick the camera that addresses that.

I had considered the X-s1 and decided that what I got for the higher price was one more stop of ISO performance.

I do not use the long end but I prize wide field shots.  That was very minor disadvantage for the 2.8 Panny but that may not be your issue.  Learning a new camera can be an advantage or a disadvantage but look for the one that best addresses what you consider the most important disadvantage of your HS-10.

VTRoB
New MemberPosts: 21Gear list
Like?
In reply to milind2110, Apr 12, 2013

Hi,I have recently purchased the SL1000 and really like the 50x zoom,also the 2x digital on top,also produces some quite good results (using the view finder and holding solidly,helps!).

I tried the Sony HX300 and although I loved the feel of the camera and the variety of settings I wasn't overly impressed with some of the results,alot of the time the pictures just weren't sharp or too noisey.The SL1000 has produced better photos most of the time,not quite as nice to hold and less settings,but good clear photos!

I considered the HS50EXR but I wanted the biggest zoom possible on a bridge camera which narrowed it down to the HX300,SL1000 or the Canon SX50.The HX disappointed,the SX was alittle small in the hand and 'only' 12mp,which left the SL.So far I am more than happy with my choice

VTRoB's gear list:VTRoB's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix SL1000 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX300 Fujifilm FinePix HS30EXR
chai1491
Junior MemberPosts: 28Gear list
Like?
In reply to milind2110, Apr 12, 2013

my first on hand was canon sx 50 but after trying i buy nikon p510,but i still want to try fuji hs 50 which has f2.8,fast & exr mode.

chai1491's gear list:chai1491's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P510
MarvinErich
Like?
In reply to VTRoB, Apr 12, 2013

VTRoB wrote:

Hi,I have recently purchased the SL1000 and really like the 50x zoom,also the 2x digital on top,also produces some quite good results (using the view finder and holding solidly,helps!).

I tried the Sony HX300 and although I loved the feel of the camera and the variety of settings I wasn't overly impressed with some of the results,alot of the time the pictures just weren't sharp or too noisey.The SL1000 has produced better photos most of the time,not quite as nice to hold and less settings,but good clear photos!

I considered the HS50EXR but I wanted the biggest zoom possible on a bridge camera which narrowed it down to the HX300,SL1000 or the Canon SX50.The HX disappointed,the SX was alittle small in the hand and 'only' 12mp,which left the SL.So far I am more than happy with my choice

Post some photos!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads