I need a 220v -240v 2500ws flash that can travel.????

Started Apr 9, 2013 | Questions
michael lipman
Junior MemberPosts: 35
Like?
I need a 220v -240v 2500ws flash that can travel.????
Apr 9, 2013

Hey I need a 240v 2500ws flash that can travel.???? ANd is not profoto at 35 lbs at $10,000

it is too heavy and too expensive. Acute 2 does not travel well in my experinence.

Speedotron makes a force 10 /220v but maybe you all know more than me.

Elinchrom 1200rx sounds like it might be ok but what do you all think?

Does it travel well? Is it really as bright as a 2500pack and head ?

Bowens 1500ws ? IS it really that bright as a 1500ws should be ?

Any one use the comet 800 monolight?

Anyone using a Godex 1000ws ? is this a good and reliable flash?

Old Balcar monolights can be 3000ws might be a good choice?

????Any thoughts

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Peter Berressem
Forum ProPosts: 10,647
Like?
Re: I need a 220v -240v 2500ws flash that can travel.????
In reply to michael lipman, Apr 9, 2013

michael lipman wrote:

Hey I need a 240v 2500ws flash that can travel.???? ANd is not profoto at 35 lbs at $10,000

it is too heavy and too expensive. Acute 2 does not travel well in my experinence.

????Any thoughts

Firstly, you require 2500Ws (from one head, right?). Next you list contemporary 1200Ws units and older antique units down to 800Ws. Tell us more exactly what you really need, i.e. what's behind the story!

-- hide signature --

cheers, Peter
Germany

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Klaus dk
Senior MemberPosts: 2,328Gear list
Like?
What for?
In reply to Peter Berressem, Apr 9, 2013

What are you going to light - or should I say nuke - with that?

Klaus dk's gear list:Klaus dk's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +6 more
michael lipman
Like?
Re: What for?
In reply to Klaus dk, Apr 10, 2013

I am lighting interiors. I need to blast out sunlight streaming through windows.

I need at best case,  1 if not 2 2400ws packs and one spot light like a dynalite 400jr with a 10 degree grid.  Some times I am lighting a building lobby that is 1/2 the size of a football field.

1000ws dynalite  pack and head is like nothing in a big room.

Peter Berressem
Like?
In reply to michael lipman, Apr 10, 2013

Have you considered to use multi exposure techniques (multi pops), provided there are no people in the shots?

Canon multi exposure

-- hide signature --

cheers, Peter
Germany

canonpro
Senior MemberPosts: 1,119
Like?
In reply to Peter Berressem, Apr 10, 2013

Besides renting a pack at your location. If your looking for a battery system, there is always the older Broncolor Versa A4. (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/492999-REG/Broncolor_31_033_07_Verso_A4_RFS_2400.html).  If not do what everyone else does, get a pack/head system with dual voltage and then just rent a portable generator. (if not just find a voltage stepper, dynalite for example sells one for the pack/heads. http://www.adorama.com/1/1/113362-dynalite-voltage-transformer-460.html And you can find ones that will do a clean conversion for 4800 w/s packs).

Barrie Davis
Forum ProPosts: 21,460
Like?

Peter Berressem wrote:

michael lipman wrote:

Yes, the 1500 w/s Bowens mono unit does meet its specification correctly. But 1500 isn't 2500..[??]

It is also not the most convenient unit to use with a large softboxes, I find.

The unit is quite long, front to back, which means the down-force from the weight of the softbox is exerted at a sufficient distance from the tilt clamp, which is at the central pivot point, that the clamp fails to grip properly, and the unit sags. There are ways around this inconvenience, but most are somewhat crude-looking, and don't appear so professional in front of the client..

????Any thoughts

Firstly, you require 2500Ws (from one head, right?). Next you list contemporary 1200Ws units and older antique units down to 800Ws. Tell us more exactly what you really need, i.e. what's behind the story!

-- hide signature --

cheers, Peter
Germany

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Baz
:
"Ahh... But the thing is, these guys were no ORDINARY time travellers!"

Lawrence Keeney
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,062Gear list
Like?

Have you checked out the Alien Bees Zeus system?

http://www.paulcbuff.com/z2500sh.php

However, they are rated 105 - 125 Volts input.

I used this system to photograph a group of 250 people outside at about sundown, and the lighting was perfect.

-- hide signature --
 Lawrence Keeney's gear list:Lawrence Keeney's gear list
Olympus E-10 Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1
michael lipman
Like?

I am mixing daylight with strobe, So multiple pops are not workable

michael lipman
Like?
In reply to Lawrence Keeney, Apr 10, 2013

Lawrence Keeney wrote:

I used this system to photograph a group of 250 people outside at about sundown, and the lighting was perfect.

-- hide signature --

Yes the Zeus fits the bill 11 lbs, recycle of 2.5 sec at full, small and dropable,

BUT it is 120v 6ohz and if they made a Zeus with 220v 50hz then I have gotten what I need.

But I called Paul Buff and asked them and they said they only make the Eienstien in 220v.

So If the Zeus could run at 50hz  with a transformer then great but it cannot.

Peter Berressem
Like?

michael lipman wrote:

Easy peasy. At the given aperture, divide the required exposure duration by the amount of pops needed. E.g., metered shutter speed 1/2 sec = 2 exposures @ 1/4 sec what makes 2000Ws from a 1000Ws unit. Or 4 pops @ 1/8 sec = 4000Ws flash power.....

-- hide signature --

cheers, Peter
Germany

Lawrence Keeney
Like?

michael lipman wrote:

Lawrence Keeney wrote:

-- hide signature --

Yes the Zeus fits the bill 11 lbs, recycle of 2.5 sec at full, small and dropable,

BUT it is 120v 6ohz and if they made a Zeus with 220v 50hz then I have gotten what I need.

But I called Paul Buff and asked them and they said they only make the Eienstien in 220v.

OK, I saw you were from Chicago, and didn't realize you needed 50Hz equipment.

-- hide signature --
michael lipman
Like?
In reply to Lawrence Keeney, Apr 11, 2013

220v 50hz as in travel to Europe, UK, South of France near Nice and

? Verbier, Switzerland

I am talking with a client now about it.  If I get it I gotta have the right equipement.

Unless you know of rental near Monaco or Nice, France?  I could not find strobe rental near there.

It would be so much easier to get my own stuff that I AM USED TO.

With a rental senerio THEN lets say I rent in London or Paris then drive or fly to the south of france, I then have to drive back or air ship back some very heavy and very expensive rental, in a country I am not familar with?  It is all very iffy if you are not near a big city.

Best case: I buy 2  used acute 2 packs and just sell them when I return to the US. Since I have no idea if I will ever return to Europe  for work.

Or the 3 Elinchrom 1200rx OR an 2 old balcar packs and 2 heads .  It depends on if I am going to make ok money or big dollars on this shoot.

I should just go rent an Elinchrom 1200 and see if it is as amazing as a speedotron force 10

The Speedotron Force 10 is just a bit less power  (1/3 of a stop) than that  of a Dynalite 2000 pack and one head

michael lipman
Like?
In reply to Peter Berressem, Apr 11, 2013

Peter Berressem wrote:

michael lipman wrote:

Easy peasy. At the given aperture, divide the required exposure duration by the amount of pops needed. E.g., metered shutter speed 1/2 sec = 2 exposures @ 1/4 sec what makes 2000Ws from a 1000Ws unit. Or 4 pops @ 1/8 sec = 4000Ws flash power.....

-- hide signature --

cheers, Peter
Germany

Ok this is interesting  A typical exposure with light and strobe mixed is 1/160 at f8 or f 5.6

the flash will not sync at 1/320 ? for 2 pops.

the flash takes 2 to 2.5 seconds to recycle so how do you do that on a Nikon digital camera??????

2 exposures take 4 to 5 seconds?

Do you take a double exposure ?

Did I miss this reading the manual?

I could do it on a 4x5 film camera but I do not use a 4x5 any more.

Sailor Blue
Senior MemberPosts: 6,343Gear list
Like?
In reply to Lawrence Keeney, Apr 11, 2013

Lawrence Keeney wrote:

-- hide signature --

Have you checked with PCB to see if they can modify the Zeus or White Lightning X3200s to work on 220V/50Hz mains?

I live in Thailand and like much of SEA we have 220V/50Hz mains.  PCB was willing to modify AlienBees for a small price, but required order from and delivery to the US so as not to compete with their Australian affiliate.

It is also possible to use some types of 110V/60Hz studio strobes (i.e. ABs) with a 220V to 110V transformer, but it does slow down the recharge.  Check with PCB for that info on Zeus or White Lightning X3200s.

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Bangkok, Thailand. Canon 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Canon EOS 7D +10 more
Lawrence Keeney
Like?
In reply to Sailor Blue, Apr 11, 2013

Sailor Blue wrote:

Lawrence Keeney wrote:

-- hide signature --

Have you checked with PCB to see if they can modify the Zeus or White Lightning X3200s to work on 220V/50Hz mains?

I live in Thailand and like much of SEA we have 220V/50Hz mains.  PCB was willing to modify AlienBees for a small price, but required order from and delivery to the US so as not to compete with their Australian affiliate.

It is also possible to use some types of 110V/60Hz studio strobes (i.e. ABs) with a 220V to 110V transformer, but it does slow down the recharge.  Check with PCB for that info on Zeus or White Lightning X3200s.

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Bangkok, Thailand. Canon 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

I like this suggestion because if PCB is willing to make this modification they may be able to put it back in the original condition once you finish you European job. This sure would be the least expensive way to go and you would end up with nice equipment that you can use in you US studio.

-- hide signature --
Peter Berressem
Like?
In reply to michael lipman, Apr 11, 2013

michael lipman wrote:

Peter Berressem wrote:

michael lipman wrote:

-- hide signature --

cheers, Peter
Germany

Ok this is interesting  A typical exposure with light and strobe mixed is 1/160 at f8 or f 5.6

the flash will not sync at 1/320 ? for 2 pops.

Wow, 1/160 indoors? I'm used to 1/15 or thereabout... can't you take measures to get there (lower ISO, aperture, ND filter) making multi pops possible ?

the flash takes 2 to 2.5 seconds to recycle so how do you do that on a Nikon digital camera??????

Most if not all Nikons do additive exposure / "multiple exposure"... 'auto gain' turned to "off", of course. It's in the manual, I'm sure.

Like in the old fim days, you take a single consecutive shot after the flash has recycled.

I could do it on a 4x5 film camera but I do not use a 4x5 any more.

You can do it on Nikons, Canon 5DIII / 1DX and others as well...

-- hide signature --

cheers, Peter
Germany

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads