5D Mark III price hike?

Started Apr 9, 2013 | Questions
BobD4Photo
New MemberPosts: 9
Like?
5D Mark III price hike?
Apr 9, 2013

Hi everyone,

I had been contemplating the 6D vs. the 5DIII for the past few months, and recently decided on the 5DIII for it's superior autofocus, build, etc.  I was about to pull the trigger, but over the weekend Amazon, B&H, Best Buy, etc all hiked the price on the 24-105 kit by $200 to $3688.

What's odd is that the 6D body and kit prices remain constant.  Does anyone know what's going on here?  I live in the US and the dollar/yen conversion is better now than last week, so my suspicion is that it's canon driving the price up... but why?

Also, any thoughts on the pricing over the next two months?

Thanks,

-- hide signature --

Bob

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
nordilux
Regular MemberPosts: 117
Like?
Re: 5D Mark III price hike?
In reply to BobD4Photo, Apr 9, 2013

Canon (as well as Nikon) and rebates during the month of March. Those prices are gone now.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
John Zeman
Regular MemberPosts: 319
Like?
In reply to BobD4Photo, Apr 9, 2013

If you found the 5D3/24-105 kit for $3688, I'd say that's a pretty good deal since the 5D3 alone lists for $3499.

kinagoo
Junior MemberPosts: 42
Like?
In reply to BobD4Photo, Apr 10, 2013

BobD4Photo wrote:

Hi everyone,

I had been contemplating the 6D vs. the 5DIII for the past few months, and recently decided on the 5DIII for it's superior autofocus, build, etc.  I was about to pull the trigger, but over the weekend Amazon, B&H, Best Buy, etc all hiked the price on the 24-105 kit by $200 to $3688.

What's odd is that the 6D body and kit prices remain constant.  Does anyone know what's going on here?  I live in the US and the dollar/yen conversion is better now than last week, so my suspicion is that it's canon driving the price up... but why?

Thanks,

-- hide signature --

Bob

According to my local camera store the 5d iii will go down again mid April ($200 rebate).

hang in there..:)

alex

Johnyguy
Regular MemberPosts: 192
Like?
In reply to kinagoo, Apr 10, 2013

kinagoo wrote:

BobD4Photo wrote:

Hi everyone,

Thanks,

-- hide signature --

Bob

According to my local camera store the 5d iii will go down again mid April ($200 rebate).

hang in there..:)

alex

Hope the 6d as well!

BobD4Photo
Like?
In reply to kinagoo, Apr 10, 2013

Appreciate the info, Alex. Thanks also to others who responded.

steadyhand
Junior MemberPosts: 49Gear list
Like?
In reply to John Zeman, Apr 10, 2013

John Zeman wrote:

If you found the 5D3/24-105 kit for $3688, I'd say that's a pretty good deal since the 5D3 alone lists for $3499.

I got the 5D3/24-105 kit at Best Buy last week for $3488.99. I couldnt believe it.

-- hide signature --

www.steadyhandimagery.com

steadyhand's gear list:steadyhand's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +8 more
Freeman-Jo
Senior MemberPosts: 2,579Gear list
Like?
In reply to BobD4Photo, Apr 10, 2013

I jusy brought the body only refurb unit directly from Canon for $2600 after tax.  And that is less than a month ago looking at the receipt date.

-- hide signature --

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
If picture worth a thousand words, how many megapixel is it?

Freeman-Jo's gear list:Freeman-Jo's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +7 more
John Zeman
Regular MemberPosts: 319
Like?
In reply to Freeman-Jo, Apr 10, 2013

Good for you guys finding those good prices!

I was just going by the prices shown on http://www.nowinstock.net/digitalcameras/canon/5dmarkiii/

Which are about the same as what I paid for my 5D3 almost a year ago.

Ubiquity99
Regular MemberPosts: 138
Like?
In reply to John Zeman, Apr 11, 2013

John Zeman wrote:

Good for you guys finding those good prices!

I was just going by the prices shown on http://www.nowinstock.net/digitalcameras/canon/5dmarkiii/

Which are about the same as what I paid for my 5D3 almost a year ago.

Well, the prices just bounced by about $350 across the board.
Amazon, B&H, etc. had been selling it for $2950 for the last month or so.

BobD4Photo
Like?
In reply to BobD4Photo, Apr 12, 2013

Looks like the price is going up again. Amazon and B&H both at $3888. Does Canon typically increase prices this dramatically this time of year?

Also I see Amazon isn't directly selling the kit right now. Is anyone aware of supply chain issues?

-- hide signature --

Bob

KaleYang
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?

After deciding to go 6D last week, I found the price was just climbing. I would like to wait for a while since the camera price definitely goes down. But not for lens. I regret that I could not buy lens and body last Dec. Does anyone know the next BIG rebate period of 2013? I guess 2013 Dec.....

RedFox88
Forum ProPosts: 22,122Gear list
Like?

BobD4Photo wrote:

Looks like the price is going up again. Amazon and B&H both at $3888. Does Canon typically increase prices this dramatically this time of year?

It is your decision when to buy, asking people on the internet isn't a good way to get advice when to buy something when you see a price fluctuating.

Also I see Amazon isn't directly selling the kit right now.

Wrong.  You have to look at the "more buying choices" list for every product listed on amazon.com and that is on every product page.

Freeman-Jo
Like?
In reply to RedFox88, Apr 12, 2013

RedFox88 wrote:

BobD4Photo wrote:

It is your decision when to buy, asking people on the internet isn't a good way to get advice when to buy something when you see a price fluctuating.

I agree, but getting advice on when the price drop is another matter.  I usually check out place like slickdeals for good info.  And then if you notice certain trend about place to buy certain item, then check that place more often.  eg:when I got mine from canonusa site, Although it's quite cheap, it's not the cheapest.  There were time it was maybe another $100 cheaper but the chance of me getting that deal is extremely low.  When I decide to check again few weeks ago, I found it to be the cheapest of all places and about $100 higher than the cheapest it was ever hit and there was not posted anywhere on the net.  So, if the OP isn't in a hurry, I would go check the canon site for refurbish 5D3 every week to see if one become available.  But I believe the price I got was a very deep discount.  I think it was like $2700-$400 discount and then the tax which bump it up to close to $2600.  At that point it push me over the edge and hit that buy button.

-- hide signature --

Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +7 more
tlk
tlk
New MemberPosts: 6
Like?
In reply to KaleYang, Apr 21, 2013

I don't understand what is going on here. In March, I decided to get the 5DIII w/ 24-105, and wanted to wait until I got my tax return back, which took longer than I expected. When I decided to purchase, the kit was for sale for $3488 from most online retailers, including the $200 instant rebate. After that $200 rebate expired on 3/30, the price went up $200, as any reasonable person would expect.

On 4/14, Canon announced a new rebate for the kit, also $200 - the same amount as in March. At that point, the price went up to $3875 from just about everywhere.

I have seen odd Canon pricing and rebates in the past, but this confuses me the most, because the rebates in place seem to be identical to those in March. I have called a couple of places, and they seem to (curiously) have no memory of the common $3488 prices from March. These rebates are supposed to end on April 27, but B&H's site seems to say May 11. Will prices will go down after the rebate ends?

Any insight into this would be appreciated.

Freeman-Jo
Like?
In reply to tlk, Apr 21, 2013

tlk wrote:

Will prices will go down after the rebate ends?

Any insight into this would be appreciated.

Anyone who actually know this info would have signed the NDA(Non-Disclosure Agreement), so I wouldn't bet on the info around here.  Your best bet of finding leak is from canonrumor and even then it would be just maybe 1 week in advance.  Then again there are plenty of place to check the current price or keep track of the camera.  So, if you weren't in a hurry then I would stalk those places.  Also if you don't mind refurb unit and w/o kit lens, then bookmark canon store.  But I wouldn't expect the lowest price it ever hit again in the near future.  I think the lowest refurb price was around $2250 body only while I spot about $2400 a few times after that.  And we are talking about buying direct from Canon here not some unknown website or ebay.  So, those are your best bet.

-- hide signature --

canon person
Senior MemberPosts: 1,510
Like?
I paid $2,699....
In reply to kinagoo, Apr 21, 2013

for the body alone.  Not a bad price.

Canon Person

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads