Release Cable: Olympus' Version?

Started Apr 9, 2013 | Discussions
esophoria
Regular MemberPosts: 121Gear list
Like?
Release Cable: Olympus' Version?
Apr 9, 2013

Having recently purchased an E-M5, I am wondering if there are any other choices other then the Remote Cable Release (RM-UC1)?

Any other choices out there?

esophoria's gear list:esophoria's gear list
Leica Macro-Elmar-M 90mm f/4
Guy Parsons
Forum ProPosts: 18,793Gear list
Like?
Re: Release Cable: Hahnel
In reply to esophoria, Apr 9, 2013

esophoria wrote:

Having recently purchased an E-M5, I am wondering if there are any other choices other then the Remote Cable Release (RM-UC1)?

I bought the Hahnel Giga Pro T version 1, now the better version 2 is in the shops.

It allows a radio link to shoot with or the connect cable can go directly into the hand control and ignore the radio link. Can be programmed for delays, bulb, sequences etc.

More here http://www.hahnel.ie/index.cfm?page=dslrremotecontrols&id=80&pId=80

Also found a video with someone using the Canon version http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fL4VJAEDdo8

The warning is that the Hahnel USB plug that fits into the Oly cameras was too big on my cable and it needed some gentle filing down to make it fit nicely. I told Hahnel about the problem and sent photos and they passed it on to engineering, and they sent me two spare cables, again they needed to be filed down a bit.

Evidently some other brand remotes have had the same problem, so if the plug is hard to push in, don't push any more but file it down to fit.

First the regular USB cable that comes with the camera, the 6.32mm figure can vary up to the obvious maximum of 6.35mm which is exactly 1/4 inch.

Olympus cable just right.

Now the Hahnel cable, too big and it jams and comes apart when trying to extract it, file the ends down until it measures 6.35mm or less or until it fits nicely.

Regards ...... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Casio Exilim EX-ZR1000 +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Gregm61
Forum ProPosts: 13,837Gear list
Like?
Re: Release Cable: Olympus' Version?

I recently purchased a Phottix Aion wireless release that allows for the same type shooting as Olympus model in addition to other types of timed interval shooting that requires the wireless-types of releases.

Wasn't cheap at $90 from Arlington Camera, so if you're looking for a $10 release, this ain't it. This same outfit is offered for many models of cameras so you have to make sure you're buying one with the Olympus-type connectors.

http://www.adorama.com/PHAWROM.html

-- hide signature --

"There's shadows in life, baby.." Jack Horner- Boogie Nights

Gregm61's gear list:Gregm61's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 +10 more
Steve_
Senior MemberPosts: 2,046Gear list
Like?
many

Any generic that works with any of the cameras supported by the RM-UC1 (SP-510UZ\SP-550UZ\SP-560UZ\SP-5655Z\SP-570UZ\SP-590 UZ, EP-1, EP-2, E-P3, E-PL2, E-PL3, E-410\E-510\E-520\E-620\E-30 and SZ-30MR) will work. Or get a used UC1 from KEH/Adorama/B&H for just a little more.

Steve_'s gear list:Steve_'s gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +6 more
Mahmoud Mousef
Senior MemberPosts: 2,363
Like?

esophoria wrote:

I'm still using a wireless simple one from years ago, but if you search for Hongdak RM-UC1 you'll find some advanced features in this one and it goes for near $20 in most China shops, delivered.

I'm quite fond of the Hongdak so I may get one soon. I love that it takes standard AAA batteries instead of (wasteful, disposable) button cells too. Nice to stick some eneloops in here.

Raven15
Contributing MemberPosts: 804
Like?
In reply to Guy Parsons, Apr 9, 2013

I just ordered the II version (from B&H). It's hard to find in stock. We'll see how it goes.

Guy Parsons wrote:

esophoria wrote:

I bought the Hahnel Giga Pro T version 1, now the better version 2 is in the shops.

It allows a radio link to shoot with or the connect cable can go directly into the hand control and ignore the radio link. Can be programmed for delays, bulb, sequences etc.

Guy Parsons
Forum ProPosts: 18,793Gear list
Like?
In reply to Raven15, Apr 9, 2013

Raven15 wrote:

I just ordered the II version (from B&H). It's hard to find in stock. We'll see how it goes.

I need to repeat the warning about the USB cable, if it feels too tight to push in with only reasonably gentle force, then it needs filing down a bit until it fits easily. A few strokes on each end with a small fine sharp file (like the Swiss type) fixed mine. Compare the insertion feel to the USB cable that came in the Oly box.

Regards...... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Casio Exilim EX-ZR1000 +16 more
Dave Sanders
Contributing MemberPosts: 862Gear list
Like?
Triggertrap

Along with this Pixel Wireless Remote (which others have mentioned), I use a Triggertrap Mobile which works with my iPhone. It's a bit gimmicky but it does work nicely for bulb shots. The Pixel is a better remote, but I bought the Triggertrap more out of curiosity. I keep the cable in my bag at all times and since I always have my phone with me, it's a very nice backup system. Some of the release modes are also pretty cool, though setting precise exposure times in bulb mode is a bit of a pain in the butt.

-- hide signature --

Dave Sanders

Loren Lewis
Forum MemberPosts: 60
Like?
Re: Triggertrap
In reply to Dave Sanders, Apr 9, 2013

I also had a similar problem with the Hahnel remote. After a couple of phone calls to Scotland, if I remember correctly, Hahnel sent me a new cable which works fine. But I had forced the original into the my E-5 and damaged the camera. Olympus, to their credit, repaired it at no charge after some whining from me, but did remind me they had no obligation to do so because I used a 3rd party gadget.

I now have both the Hahnel and a TriggerTrap  and each has it's strong points.

The Hahnel's radio frequency is wonderful. Just be careful inserting the receiver cable. I've used it successfully from inside my house where the camera was not in sight.  While viewing the security system display inside my house, I was able to actuate the shutter (100 ft away and on the opposite end of the house) which had been setup and pre-focused in the back yard to capture a woodchuck living under my shed. Ended up with a great shot.

Diane B
Forum ProPosts: 20,525Gear list
Like?

What about the Aperture Pro Coworker I read about here?  I still have it on wish list on Amazon waiting for some other purchases.  My understanding is that it works very well and is very inexpensive.

Diane B's gear list:Diane B's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads