Apple craps are way overpriced

Started Apr 9, 2013 | Discussions
DVT80111
Senior MemberPosts: 1,294Gear list
Like?
Apple craps are way overpriced
Apr 9, 2013

My wife is asking for an Apple Macbook. She has been using her iPad3 to do iMovie edition, and she has outgrown its capability.

The cheapest Macbook Pro with an i5 core, Intel graphic, 1280x800 resolution, 4GB of ram, 4.5 lbs is $1099 refurb price.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FD101LL/A/refurbished-macbook-pro-25ghz-dual-core-intel-i5?afid=p231%7Ccamref%3AikL5&cid=AOS-US-AFF-PHG

I can get a new Window ultrabook for less than $800, and she can use Adobe Premier.

But she wants iMovie, sh.

DVT80111's gear list:DVT80111's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 550D Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EOS 70D
ESfishdoc
Senior MemberPosts: 1,457
Like?
Re: Apple craps are way overpriced
In reply to DVT80111, Apr 9, 2013

You seem to be missing the obvious...

Your wife is asking for a Mac.... get over it and get it for her.  

Richard

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Richard
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,644
Like?
First let me correct you in saying...

It is not an Apple craps, it is a Crapple Crapintosh. LOL

My suggestion, get a laptop that uses the same hardware the mac uses (research this) and install hackintosh on it.

Or you can run Mac OS in a virtual machine. I believe this is totally legal because you buy a real licensed copy

http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/335596/How-to-install-latest-Mac-OS-X-Lion-Virtual-Machin

DVT80111 wrote:

My wife is asking for an Apple Macbook. She has been using her iPad3 to do iMovie edition, and she has outgrown its capability.

The cheapest Macbook Pro with an i5 core, Intel graphic, 1280x800 resolution, 4GB of ram, 4.5 lbs is $1099 refurb price.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FD101LL/A/refurbished-macbook-pro-25ghz-dual-core-intel-i5?afid=p231%7Ccamref%3AikL5&cid=AOS-US-AFF-PHG

I can get a new Window ultrabook for less than $800, and she can use Adobe Premier.

Richard
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,644
Like?
In reply to ESfishdoc, Apr 9, 2013

ESfishdoc wrote:

Richard

Maybe that is why I am not married..

gs85739az
Contributing MemberPosts: 647
Like?

She asks for something specific, what more do you need to know?

hint:  You didn't even have to try and read her mind for this one..simple, get her a LOADED MBP,

and get it ASAP!

AShimon
Contributing MemberPosts: 797
Like?

DVT80111 wrote:

You admit she has outgrown the capability of her ipad, yet you want to buy her an ultrabook with less capability?

If you are willing to purchase Adobe Premier, spend the money on hardware that can maximize its capability. You could even go a step further and spring for a MBP + Final Cut Pro.

Bear in mind that both FCP and Premiere utilize GPU acceleration, which will greatly improve productivity.

Video editing is one of THE most taxing applications you can do on any system. This is the reason professionals use dual-CPU workstations with gobs of RAM and extremely powerful GPUs.

IOW, don't skimp for video editing. Buy the best and you'll only cry once!

DVT80111
Senior MemberPosts: 1,294Gear list
Like?
In reply to AShimon, Apr 9, 2013

She already had an i5 system with Premier installed.

If she needs more horse power, she can trade with my i7-3770/Nvidia GTX650.

But she didn't really want to learn Adobe Premier. Just want iMovie.

I am a PC guy. Don't want to have an Apple in the house. I have 2 teenages and they are totally happy with PC.

DVT80111's gear list:DVT80111's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 550D Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EOS 70D
ClintB
Forum MemberPosts: 71
Like?

DVT80111 wrote:

I am a PC guy. Don't want to have an Apple in the house. I have 2 teenages and they are totally happy with PC.

Sooo, because you're a PC guy, you want to impose that onto your wife and control what she purchases? Get over your wants, get her what *she* wants and win big time.

wildwilly
Senior MemberPosts: 1,297
Like?
In that case

get a new wife

Mark Smith
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,642Gear list
Like?

DVT80111 wrote:

You're missing something. She wants something, the fact 'you won't have one in the house' means  either your marriage won't last or you'll have to compromise.

Do you tell your wife what to watch on TV? read or wear?

Buy her what she wants/needs not what you think she should have based on your needs.

Just my 2¢

harrygilbert
Senior MemberPosts: 2,799Gear list
Like?
In reply to Richard, Apr 9, 2013

Then you missed out. I married a wonderful woman 35 years ago, who has been my best friend, companion, and support all those years. She helped get my finances in order, and insisted that I buy the super-telephoto lenses I wanted. I buy her whatever she wants.

Disclaimer: The mold was broken when my wife was born -- your results may differ.

Richard wrote:

ESfishdoc wrote:

Richard

Maybe that is why I am not married..

harrygilbert's gear list:harrygilbert's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye +17 more
Dave19
Regular MemberPosts: 247
Like?
In reply to Mark Smith, Apr 9, 2013

Mark Smith wrote:

DVT80111 wrote:

You're missing something. She wants something, the fact 'you won't have one in the house' means  either your marriage won't last or you'll have to compromise.

Buy her what she wants/needs not what you think she should have based on your needs.

Just my 2¢

I agree...Remember a Happy Wife = a Happy Home!

-
Dave
Canon A80, A620

mfait
Contributing MemberPosts: 558Gear list
Like?
In reply to Dave19, Apr 9, 2013

Dave19 wrote:

Mark Smith wrote:

DVT80111 wrote:

Just my 2¢

I agree...Remember a Happy Wife = a Happy Home!

-
Dave
Canon A80, A620

My wife says Happy Wife = Happy Life

mfait's gear list:mfait's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon EOS 450D
gs85739az
Like?

People first, then things, then money...this formula will never let you down!

ps: surprised you'd "let" her have an iPad...

gipper51
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,999Gear list
Like?
In reply to ClintB, Apr 9, 2013

ClintB wrote:

Sooo, because you're a PC guy, you want to impose that onto your wife and control what she purchases? Get over your wants, get her what *she* wants and win big time.

If it's anything like my house where my wife doesn't know squat about computers except how to post on facebook and buy off ebay and I'm the one doing her tech support....I want an OS I'm familiar with!  It's a happy compromise - you want my help then buy something I know how to work with.

If she was computer savy and wanted a mac for a specific reason other than "it's a Mac so it's cool", I'd say have at it.

gipper51's gear list:gipper51's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) +3 more
CSMR
Regular MemberPosts: 451
Like?
In reply to DVT80111, Apr 10, 2013

For my family I buy all the same hardware (PC laptops with monitors etc.), all the same software. If they want any different, they shouldn't expect me to explain how it works or fix it if it breaks!

If your wife wants a Mac, work out why. Hardware or software. Running different operating systems is the worst thing. You can manage by buying a high quality laptop. Bear in mind that almost all PC laptops sold are cheap and low quality, unlike Apple products (low res screens with TN panels, mediocre designs and aesthetics).

gs85739az
Like?
In reply to gipper51, Apr 10, 2013

Control issues, she wants a Buick and you are a Ford man,etc,etc,etc...

Jim Cockfield
Forum ProPosts: 14,554
Like?
she has another reason (iMovie)
In reply to gipper51, Apr 10, 2013

gipper51 wrote:

ClintB wrote:

If it's anything like my house where my wife doesn't know squat about computers except how to post on facebook and buy off ebay and I'm the one doing her tech support....I want an OS I'm familiar with!  It's a happy compromise - you want my help then buy something I know how to work with.

If she was computer savy and wanted a mac for a specific reason other than "it's a Mac so it's cool", I'd say have at it.

She has another reason.   She's been using iMovie on an iPad to create/edit movies, and she needs something more powerful now.

So, she wants to move to a MacBook so she can continue to use iMovie, only with a more powerful processor and more features.

IOW, she's trying to avoid the learning curve associated with moving to a different product.

The OP wants her to use Premiere Pro instead.   I can imagine that there would be a huge learning curve trying to move from iMovie to Premiere Pro; so I can't blame her for wanting to stick with what she's already comfortable with.

Not everyone can handle drastic changes in work flow, learning new applications, etc. (especially with something as complex as editing video).

So, from my perspective, just buy her the MacBook Pro if she's set on using iMovie.

Of course, it probably wouldn't hurt to install a view other Video Editors (something simpler than Premiere Pro for starters) and let her test drive them to find something she's comfortable with if she's more open to at least some change.

But, I can't fault someone that's used to a given product wanting to stick with it; and it sounds to me like that's all she's trying to do (move from iMovie on iPad to iMovie on a Macbook).

-- hide signature --

JimC
------

Yveske
Forum MemberPosts: 71Gear list
Like?
Re: she has another reason (iMovie)
In reply to Jim Cockfield, Apr 10, 2013

If you want to force a pc on her, have a look at Vegas or Vegas pro. Does everything Premiere does, but without the complexity

Yveske's gear list:Yveske's gear list
Nikon D70s Nikon D3 Nikon D200 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +5 more
gipper51
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,999Gear list
Like?
In reply to gs85739az, Apr 10, 2013

gs85739az wrote:

Control issues, she wants a Buick and you are a Ford man,etc,etc,etc...

If you are specifically addressing me, my wife does NOT want a mac, I was simply making a point.

Sometimes you should NOT let your spouse buy something just because she wants it (lord knows it certainly applies when I want something).  I wanted a Corvette instead of my 4 door family sedan.  She said "no", can you believe the nerve!

In the OP's case, the wife is wanting something more expensive (that may strain the family budget) and he is not familiar with the operating system and will likely be the one she comes to for help.  I don't see the OP as being unreasonable trying to persuade her to a cheaper PC he knows how to work on.  Maybe she should compromise some here, it's not a one way street.

gipper51's gear list:gipper51's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads