RAM suggestions please

Started Apr 9, 2013 | Discussions
John M Roberts
Senior MemberPosts: 1,478
Like?
RAM suggestions please
Apr 9, 2013

My 5 year old MBP HD is getting filled up plus it will not handle a D800 soon to be purchased. I was first looking at a 15" Retina MBP but then a friend said I could get more bang for the buck with an iMac. If I go that route should I just get the 4GB of RAM then put either the 16 or 32 in myself to save. Apples 16GB isn't too huge but the 32GB upgrade is $600. What have you done and with what brand and how much?

Thanks,

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
LouCioccio
Senior MemberPosts: 1,613Gear list
Like?
Re: RAM suggestions please
In reply to John M Roberts, Apr 9, 2013

Check OWC for RAM upgrades prices. I am assuming an iMac 27" which has a removable RAM.

Ciao,

Lou Cioccio

LouCioccio's gear list:LouCioccio's gear list
Olympus E-30 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Howard Moftich
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,639
Like?
In reply to LouCioccio, Apr 9, 2013

OWC or Crucial.

coronawithlime
Senior MemberPosts: 1,936Gear list
Like?

John M Roberts wrote:

should I just get the 4GB of RAM then put either the 16 or 32 in myself to save.

I believe that only the 27" iMac has user serviceable RAM through  small door in the rear, and the base spec machine has 8 BG.  If you want a smaller machine I believe the ram you buy is what you're stuck with.

I replaced the 8 gb in my 2012 base spec 27" with 32 gb from Crucial in about 5 minutes and had never seen a Mac before.     Much cheaper than purchasing from Apple.

-- hide signature --

One day long ago, a sorcerer and a warrior did battle, as such things were commonplace in that age. Sometimes the sorcerer won, and the sum value of human abilities was improved some trifling amount. Sometimes the warrior won, and again the human race improved by some insignificant amount, for a sorcerer who can't defeat one miserable warrior is a poor sorcerer indeed.

Tom_N
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,771
Like?
In reply to coronawithlime, Apr 9, 2013

coronawithlime wrote:

John M Roberts wrote:

should I just get the 4GB of RAM then put either the 16 or 32 in myself to save.

I believe that only the 27" iMac has user serviceable RAM through  small door in the rear, and the base spec machine has 8 BG.  If you want a smaller machine I believe the ram you buy is what you're stuck with.

The latest version 21.5" iMac does not have user-serviceable RAM, and I believe that it only has half the capacity of its 27" sibling.  If you custom-order a 21.5" iMac from Apple, the upgrade from the standard 8 GB of RAM to 16 GB of RAM costs $200.

On a 27" iMac, you could pop in a third-party 8 GB module to get 16 GB total for around $50, and you would have the option of expanding the machine to 24 GB or 32 GB at your leisure.

Older 21.5" iMacs have four user-accessible memory slots, and can take 16 or 32 GB of RAM.  They also have optical drives and Firewire 800 ports, but not USB 3.0 ones.

John M Roberts
Like?
Re: Another question

Thanks for the suggestions. I failed to mention the 27" plus forgot they come with 8MB. Is it possible to just to order 3 more 8GB sticks from the third party to fill the rest of the slots or is it not recommended to mix different party RAM?

Crucial $252 for 4 sticks = 32GB RAM

OWC   $279 for 4 sticks = 32GB RAM

Any concern ordering the less expensive Crucial brand?

If anyone has bought one of the recent offering of the iMac 27" I'd be curious to know what features you configured and why, like fusion, speed etc.

Again thanks for the help.

Howard Moftich
Like?

If you look at System Information, I'm willing to bet you'll find 2x 4G sticks, not 1x 8G so you'll end up pulling out the original '8G' (keep it as Apple gets nasty if you bring it in for service w/ 3rd party memory).

The $$ differential is not relevant.  OWC doesn't make their own so it's additional cost whereas Crucial is a division of RAM maker Micron.

John M Roberts wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions. I failed to mention the 27" plus forgot they come with 8MB. Is it possible to just to order 3 more 8GB sticks from the third party to fill the rest of the slots or is it not recommended to mix different party RAM?

If anyone has bought one of the recent offering of the iMac 27" I'd be curious to know what features you configured and why, like fusion, speed etc.

Howard Moftich
Like?

If you look at System Information, I'm willing to bet you'll find 2x 4G sticks, not 1x 8G so you'll end up pulling out the original '8G' (keep it as Apple gets nasty if you bring it in for service w/ 3rd party memory).

The $$ differential is not relevant.  OWC doesn't make their own so it's additional cost whereas Crucial is a division of RAM maker Micron.

John M Roberts wrote:

Howard Moftich
Like?

John M Roberts wrote:

Howard Moftich
Like?

John M Roberts wrote:

LouCioccio
Senior MemberPosts: 1,613Gear list
Like?
In reply to Howard Moftich, Apr 9, 2013

Hate that when you have a sticky RETURN key.

Although the local Apple certified repair center in Erie was not concerned about the RAM when my friends hard drive was failing with in 3 weeks of ownership last year of his 27 iMac.  But it took two trips when they finally realized the drive was causing it to become un bootable; at first we thought it was a ram issue so he re-installed the Apple ram and it happen the 2nd time.

Ciao,

Lou Cioccio

LouCioccio's gear list:LouCioccio's gear list
Olympus E-30 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD +2 more
coronawithlime
Senior MemberPosts: 1,936Gear list
Like?
In reply to LouCioccio, Apr 9, 2013

Mr Moftich is correct.  I just pulled 2 x 4 gb out of my late 2012 27" base spec iMac.  I got the base spec only because there was a two month wait for a custom version at the time I needed to upgrade.  I did max out the ram to 32 GB.

You should bear in mind when adding additional ram that ALL the ram will run at the speed of the slowest stick, so unless you go to someplace like Crucial to help match what is already in there you could possibly have a mis match.

-- hide signature --

One day long ago, a sorcerer and a warrior did battle, as such things were commonplace in that age. Sometimes the sorcerer won, and the sum value of human abilities was improved some trifling amount. Sometimes the warrior won, and again the human race improved by some insignificant amount, for a sorcerer who can't defeat one miserable warrior is a poor sorcerer indeed.

John M Roberts
Like?
In reply to Howard Moftich, Apr 9, 2013

Howard Moftich wrote:

Good to know, thanks. I'm not sure with this model of iMac that Apple would be disturbed adding your own RAM for on their site they state the capabilities of doing so. That I don't think they would do if it would void warranty.

If anyone wants to share how they configured their recent iMac I'm still interested in hearing.

Thanks all so much for enlightening me about this process.

John M Roberts wrote:

Tom_N
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,771
Like?

John M Roberts wrote:

Howard Moftich wrote:

Good to know, thanks. I'm not sure with this model of iMac that Apple would be disturbed adding your own RAM for on their site they state the capabilities of doing so. That I don't think they would do if it would void warranty.

Apple doesn't have any problems with you installing RAM on the 27" iMac, and provided that you do not break anything, it doesn't void your warranty.

However, if something goes wrong with your Mac, they may want to determine whether it's an issue with the computer, or with the third-party RAM.  If you can remove the third-party RAM and put the Apple RAM back in, that makes it easier to see if the problem is with the computer, or with the third party RAM.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads