My 1st Prime: 85 1.8G

Started Apr 8, 2013 | Discussions
Texas Heat
Regular MemberPosts: 434Gear list
Like?
My 1st Prime: 85 1.8G
Apr 8, 2013

Just playing with the shallow depth of field.  I can see why people use a tripod with their macro lens. It was really hard to keep a steady hand. Thank goodness for digital, it was a 1:1 delete ratio for me. Comments/recommendations always welcomed.

Just some wildflowers in the back yard

-- hide signature --

Cindy

Texas Heat's gear list:Texas Heat's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro
Cytokine
Contributing MemberPosts: 626
Like?
Re: My 1st Prime: 85 1.8G
In reply to Texas Heat, Apr 9, 2013

Welcome to the joys and frustrations of narrow depth of field photography, and a good start, at first it is always surprising how small the depth of field is especially when you get too close, and an on line depth of field calculator is a really handy tool. I started with the 50mm 1.4D and now find the 85mm 1.4 easier to use.

Apart from flowers it is useful in portrait photography, and I think helps people to think more creatively, although you can spend hours trying to get a good result.

One technique I use is to capture some colourful flowers in the background which makes the blur look more interesting. Also try f2.8 and alter subject distance, to increase DOF.

If you get a chance try out the 85 1.4's the D version gives a very similar blur to the Canon 1.2L looking at the photo-zone tests. (those blurry corners are there for a good reason.) it becomes sharp even in the corners at landscape apertures, although it is always sharper in the centre.

John

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads