Looking for a P&S compliment to my E-M5, advice please.

Started Apr 8, 2013 | Discussions
S. Miller
Contributing MemberPosts: 590
Like?
Looking for a P&S compliment to my E-M5, advice please.
Apr 8, 2013

Yes, it's another one of those threads. Sorry. I've read the recent ones but would like some advice from those who have (or have used) the XZ-2, LX-7, RX100, or X20 (I've ruled out the Canon S110).

I have an E-M5 and a full compliment of lenses. I'm looking for a camera that I can easily have with me at all times when I leave my house. Additionally, it can be a second or backup camera when on family trips. The easiest summary is that I'm looking for a small, fast, high quality, normal FL range zoom. Oh yeah, I shoot in RAW, FWIW.

I would love to hear anyone's first hand experience with these cameras, keeping in mind that I'm sure they're all very good in normal daylight shooting scenarios. How did you like them in lower light settings? Is the Sony too small? From an ISO perspective, how high would you be comfortable shooting any of these cameras? As far as price, I know I just missed the XZ-2 at $498 last month, but it's down to $549 currently. Anyone seen it lower? The LX-7 was at $300 at one point, but the best I see now is $399 at Amazon. As for the Sony, it doesn't seem like the RX100 ever goes on sale (which probably speaks volumes for demand vs supply).

Thanks in advance,

Steve

What I'm looking for specifically:

• Size: Doesn't have to be pocketable, but anything larger than a XZ-2 won't fit the bill (the X20 would be a stretch but could possibly work).
  • Fast zoom: Ideal lens (which doesn't exist) would be the f1.4-2.3 speed of the LX-7 combined with the 24 (LX-7) - 112 (XZ-2). I believe either one of the lenses from the XZ-2 or the LX-7 would do nicely.
  • Image Quality: Sure, m4/3 sensor size would be nice, but even the E-PM1 or E-PM2 with a pancake is going to be too big (and more importantly, won't give me the zoom flexibility I'm looking for). I know a lot of people will suggest the E-PM2 and 14 pancake. I don't want this or any similar solution!!! Again, I'm certain that any of these cameras will have great IQ in good conditions, I'm trying to figure out which will be best in typical restaurant, walking around a city, or just hanging out in okay light shots.
  • Video: Would be great if it shoots nice family videos with truly useable AF, but it won't be a huge determining factor.
  • Price: I know $300 to $650 is a large range, but at the end of the day, if I am certain that one camera is significantly better than the others and happens to cost $650 (I'm talking about you Sony), I would buy it. As of now though, the RX100 isn't in my top two. Also if I see a crazy $300 price on the LX-7, that would be tough to keep my finger from clicking "BUY".

What I'm NOT looking for:

• A second E-M5 body. LOVE the camera, but the purpose of this purchase is to buy a camera that will always be with me. It's sort of a joke that after shooting Canon for so long, I can actually say that the E-M5 is too big, but for this use (low light, 28-90 FL range), it is too big to always have with me.
  • Ditto re: E-PL5, E-PM2, insert tiny m4/3 body here...

So here's my short list, which I doubt will surprise anyone in the market for this type of camera:

• XZ-2: IQ - I've heard 400-800 is good, but I tested it with low light shots and it seems like 1600 is useable and if I knew I was converting to B&W, would use 3200 (maybe even printing up to 13x19). Size is a touch big, but not too large, mainly because of the tilt screen which I LOVE on my E-M5. Lens: 1/3 stop slower than the LX-7 at 28-90. I lose the 24/1.4 but gain more tele reach. For my shooting style, I slightly prefer the Oly lens range. Video: Probably okay but worse than the LX-7 and definitely worse than the Sony.
  • LX-7: IQ: I assume it's on par with the XZ-2, though I'm not sure if it does as well at higher ISOs. Since I don't really shoot at 24mm, I'm only losing 1/3 stop vs the XZ-2. Size: slightly smaller than the XZ-2. Video: heard good things but don't know for sure. Price: At the former fire sale of $300, this is awfully tough to beat.
  • RX100: IQ: I hear how great the 1" sensor is, but as I see it, the lens is 1.5 to 2 stops slower than the XZ-2 or LX-7, so ISO 800 on the LX-7 (1000 on the XZ-2) is really comparable to 3200 on the RX100. So the sensor has to be at least 1.5 stops better than the other two just to compete. From the quick pics I took in low light at a store, I wasn't THAT impressed (but it could have been user error). Video: sounds like the RX100 is very good.
  • Fuji X20: Wild shot, don't know much about it aside from briefly trying it out at my local store. Seems nice, but the lens makes it a bit too big and I'm not sure it offers anything the XZ-2 or LX-7 don't. For any X20 users, please chime in here as it did feel very nice in hand.
Canon PowerShot S110 Fujifilm X20 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
panolympus
Regular MemberPosts: 169Gear list
Like?
Re: Looking for a P&S compliment to my E-M5, advice please.
In reply to S. Miller, Apr 8, 2013

Click "buy" on the LX7 and be done with it. Then you can move onto the next big decision for the day, what salad dressing to add to your salad. :s

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
FrankParis
Senior MemberPosts: 1,038Gear list
Like?

S. Miller wrote:

• A second E-M5 body. LOVE the camera, but the purpose of this purchase is to buy a camera that will always be with me. It's sort of a joke that after shooting Canon for so long, I can actually say that the E-M5 is too big, but for this use (low light, 28-90 FL range), it is too big to always have with me.

Too bad, because when I thought about the same problem, I realized that my best choice was the Olympus E-PM1. I picked up a brown one from Olympus for $275, on what seemed like a momentary sale. It was the only color on sale. All colors are currently $300. That's actually your best bet. Think about it.

-- hide signature --

Frank Paris

FrankParis's gear list:FrankParis's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +12 more
S. Miller
Like?
In reply to panolympus, Apr 8, 2013

panolympus wrote:

Click "buy" on the LX7 and be done with it. Then you can move onto the next big decision for the day, what salad dressing to add to your salad. :s

Already ate, but thanks for the helpful advice.

Steve

drcPhoto
Regular MemberPosts: 298Gear list
Like?
In reply to FrankParis, Apr 8, 2013

Given your choices listed, I would consider it to be a pretty simple and easy decision.  The RX100 should be the hands down winner for your needs. The x20 a reasonable 2nd, but still a somewhat distant choice.

Dale

drcPhoto's gear list:drcPhoto's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX9V Olympus E-M1 Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +18 more
S. Miller
Like?
In reply to FrankParis, Apr 8, 2013

FrankParis wrote:

S. Miller wrote:

Too bad, because when I thought about the same problem, I realized that my best choice was the Olympus E-PM1. I picked up a brown one from Olympus for $275, on what seemed like a momentary sale. It was the only color on sale. All colors are currently $300. That's actually your best bet. Think about it.

-- hide signature --

Frank Paris

Hi Frank,

What your saying makes a lot of sense and is echoed often here. But I'm looking for a small, fast, 28-100-ish, nearly pocketable camera just to have with me. I accept that I'll be sacrificing some IQ but (for my needs) I'll be gaining a lot more.

But to your decision, brown??? Seriously?

Thanks,

Steve

S. Miller
Like?
In reply to drcPhoto, Apr 8, 2013

drcPhoto wrote:

Given your choices listed, I would consider it to be a pretty simple and easy decision.  The RX100 should be the hands down winner for your needs. The x20 a reasonable 2nd, but still a somewhat distant choice.

Dale

Hi Dale,

That's the exact opposite order I came up with, so if you've used the cameras I mentioned, I'd really love to hear why the RX100 is the no brainer. Many people feel the way you do, but that's not the impression I was left with after briefly testing one. I didn't see the magic of the 1" sensor in the low light shots I took and I know for certain that the lens is 1.5 to 2 stops slower than the Oly or Panny.

Thanks for your input, I'd love to hear any specifics for why it's the simple and easy decision.

Steve

ryan2007
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,254Gear list
Like?

Short version.

I use the GH-3 and have various Panny lenses.  I am going to give the Fuji X20 a try. It was between that and the X100-s and Nikon A.  I decided against the Nikon because I think the accessory viewfinder is useless but Fuji has it built in to the camera.

Then do you want a zoom lens or not.

I considered dumping the GH-3 totally for the Fuji Xpro, but the Panasonic is more a system than the Fuji even though I have been told its a step better.

I know I will sell the GH-3 when it is time and I have the 12-35, 35-100, 45 macro 2.8, 7-14 and 25 1.4 so I feel pretty set with the Panasonic.

I want a built in lens type second camera.

The Panasonic LX-7 was never a consideration. I had the LX-5 and it was just ok, nothing special. The cost difference to the X20 is not that bad and I think the quality will be way better.

I have my GX-1 and 45-200 to sell. I said I would sell the 25 1.4 and I am just 10% decided to do that since it does not get that much use since I have the zooms.

ryan2007's gear list:ryan2007's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
novaoz
Regular MemberPosts: 106
Like?

panolympus wrote:

Seriously.... why bother reading than replying like that, you do know it is not compulsory to reply or to even read if you have nothing positive to add.

-- hide signature --

Peter from Norfolk Is.

SwatOx
Regular MemberPosts: 390Gear list
Like?

I am very happy with my LX7 as a complement to my GH3. More than that, I generally carry it with me everywhere, so if I see something..or feel like taking a few photos to see what I can compose  -- I can shoot. As you know, it has good specs and is very easy to use (and shoots RAW, which I also do). It isn't as good, I'm sure, in very low light: there the RX100 is better (and smaller), but I'm told it is more challenging to operate (but that is hearsay). If you can keep the ISO below 400 -- best 200 or below-- then you'll get some superb photographs. (See Flickr for proof). But it is a difficult decision, so good luck!

SwatOx's gear list:SwatOx's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +1 more
novaoz
Regular MemberPosts: 106
Like?

I have seen some recent shots of a friends rx100 and they are certainly nice for a P&S, but its build is definetly P&S with little manual control buttons,  if it is mainly for screen shots and the family size pics type of prints I would go for the Oly simply as you can use it with your oly flash system, that is important to me but maybe not to you, I would certainly grab the LX7 for $300 if it works with Oly flashes remotely but not sure it does I think it is only the GH3 at the moment.

The LX7 is $329 in Aus at Kogan.com.au

-- hide signature --

Peter from Norfolk Is.

panolympus
Like?
In reply to novaoz, Apr 8, 2013

novaoz wrote:

panolympus wrote:

Seriously.... why bother reading than replying like that, you do know it is not compulsory to reply or to even read if you have nothing positive to add.

-- hide signature --

Peter from Norfolk Is.

Oh, sorry. I didn't know this was a support group for people with gas.

fotophool
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,569
Like?
In reply to novaoz, Apr 8, 2013

novaoz wrote:

panolympus wrote:

-- hide signature --

Peter from Norfolk Is.

Well, actually he did.

He endorsed the LX7, which was one of the OP's original options.

Chatokun
Regular MemberPosts: 447Gear list
Like?

I have a GF3 + 14mm and a LX7. The LX7 gets more use if I want to be pocket/portable. It doesn't fit in every pocket either, but the quality is nice, and now that I have the fl300r I might try bringing that around with it to and see how I do. I like shots up to 800 personally, 3200 has too much chroma noise and banding for me, and 1600 I'm not sold on yet. I should probably try it a bit more before ruling it out.

It has some pretty nice video settings, Pany is pretty good at this. It has a nice OIS also. I haven't used the RX100 to compare, but I was already used to Pany's layout, and I like the choices and settings you can make on it(like min shutter speed, custom modes, etc). I've heard some complaints about the ergonomics and um... word fails me, but the way it feels to use the camera, but that's all personal choice, so you'd have to compare them.

Here is a shot I made in pretty bad light. Obviously, this was processed, but I had to bring up the exposure some, and then switched it to a cool tones filter. I like how it came out:

In Outback, across the table, no flash.

I used the flash a few times also, but it was very bright at that distance, I didn't get good results until I dropped it down to -2 compensation.

Chatokun's gear list:Chatokun's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +10 more
panolympus
Like?
In reply to Chatokun, Apr 8, 2013

Chatokun wrote:

I have a GF3 + 14mm and a LX7. The LX7 gets more use if I want to be pocket/portable. It doesn't fit in every pocket either, but the quality is nice, and now that I have the fl300r I might try bringing that around with it to and see how I do. I like shots up to 800 personally, 3200 has too much chroma noise and banding for me, and 1600 I'm not sold on yet. I should probably try it a bit more before ruling it out.

It has some pretty nice video settings, Pany is pretty good at this. It has a nice OIS also. I haven't used the RX100 to compare, but I was already used to Pany's layout, and I like the choices and settings you can make on it(like min shutter speed, custom modes, etc). I've heard some complaints about the ergonomics and um... word fails me, but the way it feels to use the camera, but that's all personal choice, so you'd have to compare them.

Here is a shot I made in pretty bad light. Obviously, this was processed, but I had to bring up the exposure some, and then switched it to a cool tones filter. I like how it came out:

In Outback, across the table, no flash.

I used the flash a few times also, but it was very bright at that distance, I didn't get good results until I dropped it down to -2 compensation.

Nice photo! This is why I endorse the LX7. One of the best point and shoots I've seen.

Alumna Gorp
Senior MemberPosts: 1,531Gear list
Like?

S. Miller wrote:

Yes, it's another one of those threads. Sorry. I've read the recent ones but would like some advice from those who have (or have used) the XZ-2, LX-7, RX100, or X20 (I've ruled out the Canon S110).

I have an E-M5 and a full compliment of lenses. I'm looking for a camera that I can easily have with me at all times when I leave my house. Additionally, it can be a second or backup camera when on family trips. The easiest summary is that I'm looking for a small, fast, high quality, normal FL range zoom. Oh yeah, I shoot in RAW, FWIW.

I would love to hear anyone's first hand experience with these cameras, keeping in mind that I'm sure they're all very good in normal daylight shooting scenarios. How did you like them in lower light settings? Is the Sony too small? From an ISO perspective, how high would you be comfortable shooting any of these cameras? As far as price, I know I just missed the XZ-2 at $498 last month, but it's down to $549 currently. Anyone seen it lower? The LX-7 was at $300 at one point, but the best I see now is $399 at Amazon. As for the Sony, it doesn't seem like the RX100 ever goes on sale (which probably speaks volumes for demand vs supply).

Thanks in advance,

Steve

• Size: Doesn't have to be pocketable, but anything larger than a XZ-2 won't fit the bill (the X20 would be a stretch but could possibly work).
  • Fast zoom: Ideal lens (which doesn't exist) would be the f1.4-2.3 speed of the LX-7 combined with the 24 (LX-7) - 112 (XZ-2). I believe either one of the lenses from the XZ-2 or the LX-7 would do nicely.
  • Image Quality: Sure, m4/3 sensor size would be nice, but even the E-PM1 or E-PM2 with a pancake is going to be too big (and more importantly, won't give me the zoom flexibility I'm looking for). I know a lot of people will suggest the E-PM2 and 14 pancake. I don't want this or any similar solution!!! Again, I'm certain that any of these cameras will have great IQ in good conditions, I'm trying to figure out which will be best in typical restaurant, walking around a city, or just hanging out in okay light shots.
  • Video: Would be great if it shoots nice family videos with truly useable AF, but it won't be a huge determining factor.
  • Price: I know $300 to $650 is a large range, but at the end of the day, if I am certain that one camera is significantly better than the others and happens to cost $650 (I'm talking about you Sony), I would buy it. As of now though, the RX100 isn't in my top two. Also if I see a crazy $300 price on the LX-7, that would be tough to keep my finger from clicking "BUY".

So here's my short list, which I doubt will surprise anyone in the market for this type of camera:

• XZ-2: IQ - I've heard 400-800 is good, but I tested it with low light shots and it seems like 1600 is useable and if I knew I was converting to B&W, would use 3200 (maybe even printing up to 13x19). Size is a touch big, but not too large, mainly because of the tilt screen which I LOVE on my E-M5. Lens: 1/3 stop slower than the LX-7 at 28-90. I lose the 24/1.4 but gain more tele reach. For my shooting style, I slightly prefer the Oly lens range. Video: Probably okay but worse than the LX-7 and definitely worse than the Sony.
  • LX-7: IQ: I assume it's on par with the XZ-2, though I'm not sure if it does as well at higher ISOs. Since I don't really shoot at 24mm, I'm only losing 1/3 stop vs the XZ-2. Size: slightly smaller than the XZ-2. Video: heard good things but don't know for sure. Price: At the former fire sale of $300, this is awfully tough to beat.
  • RX100: IQ: I hear how great the 1" sensor is, but as I see it, the lens is 1.5 to 2 stops slower than the XZ-2 or LX-7, so ISO 800 on the LX-7 (1000 on the XZ-2) is really comparable to 3200 on the RX100. So the sensor has to be at least 1.5 stops better than the other two just to compete. From the quick pics I took in low light at a store, I wasn't THAT impressed (but it could have been user error). Video: sounds like the RX100 is very good.
  • Fuji X20: Wild shot, don't know much about it aside from briefly trying it out at my local store. Seems nice, but the lens makes it a bit too big and I'm not sure it offers anything the XZ-2 or LX-7 don't. For any X20 users, please chime in here as it did feel very nice in hand.

The X20 will give you a viewfinder, not only that but also a display of camera settings, no other compact will give you this unless the compact you buy can take a separate evf. The x10 is still good if you can live with viewfinder display and its a whole lot cheaper. Why does the lens make it to big, collapsed its about the same size as the GF2 with 14mm lens.

On the other hand there is the XZ-2, if you got this plus an EVF, you could also use the EVF on the OMD as a waist level finder.

Alumna Gorp's gear list:Alumna Gorp's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +4 more
panolympus
Like?
In reply to Alumna Gorp, Apr 8, 2013

Alumna Gorp wrote:

S. Miller wrote:

Thanks in advance,

Steve

The X20 will give you a viewfinder, not only that but also a display of camera settings, no other compact will give you this unless the compact you buy can take a separate evf. The x10 is still good if you can live with viewfinder display and its a whole lot cheaper. Why does the lens make it to big, collapsed its about the same size as the GF2 with 14mm lens.

On the other hand there is the XZ-2, if you got this plus an EVF, you could also use the EVF on the OMD as a waist level finder.

X20? Is that new? I might have to change my vote from the LX7. How does it compare?

Chatokun
Regular MemberPosts: 447Gear list
Like?

panolympus wrote:

X20? Is that new? I might have to change my vote from the LX7. How does it compare?

I think it's a 2/3" sensor Fuji, I've heard great things about it. Personally haven't used it though. Larger sensor does suggest better ISO performance, and I think the main issue before was LR and ACR incompatibility, but I think that's been corrected in the most recent releases.

Edit: Part of my decision to go with the LX7 over the others was price, it was going for $300 when I got it.

Chatokun's gear list:Chatokun's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +10 more
Roderic
Regular MemberPosts: 102
Like?
In reply to Alumna Gorp, Apr 8, 2013

For me this was an easy choice.  I have an Em5 and all the lenses.  In the past....

Pana Lx5 and sold it. Good but became "old hat".

Sony RX100 sold it.  Too small to hold comfortably, no hot shoe = no VF, Wacky menu.

Oly XZ1. Great loved it but sold it.  For

Oly XZ2.  Love it. Has hot shoe for VF or flash. Same menu as EM5 makes life easy. Great IQ. Tilt screen. And with the Oly auto lens cap keeps safe.

Hope this helps

Roderic

fotophool
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,569
Like?
LX7 or RX100?

I think your choices basically boil down to these two.

If cost is any consideration, the RX100 is approx. $600 vs $300 for the LX7 on sale.

I like the LX7 for its quick ability to shift from 1:1 aspect ratio to 16:19, plus the 24mm wide angle view. Plus, I have a fondness for some of its Art Filters, particularly Dynamic B&W.

In other words, it's a fun back up P&S.

Ditto the RX100. It's a relatively new purchase so I haven't felt myself around with it as much, especially with regards to its panorama and HDR functions.

But even though it's slower in some aspects (f stop when zoomed out, etc), its larger sensor is going to give you a lot more leeway in post processing.

The below was shot at f5.6 at 6400 ISO. I don't think the LX7 files are going to clean up nearly that well.

As always, it depends on what you're going to use the P&S for. Low light, landscape, what?

Sony RX100 @ ISO 6400

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads