GH3 and IR

Started Apr 8, 2013 | Discussions
gskolenda
Contributing MemberPosts: 691Gear list
Like?
GH3 and IR
Apr 8, 2013

Well I can't get my GH3 to give me any kind of exposure, and the shutter won't work, tried every possible exposure, slowest SS and F2.8 Apt, Highest ISO, when using a Hoya 58mm Infrared R72 filter?

Any one got any ideas or experience?

Thanks,

Leon

gskolenda's gear list:gskolenda's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Ricoh Caplio R7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Elemental Photography
Contributing MemberPosts: 614Gear list
Like?
Re: GH3 and IR
In reply to gskolenda, Apr 8, 2013

gskolenda wrote:

Well I can't get my GH3 to give me any kind of exposure, and the shutter won't work...

Leon

Wat do you mean by "the shutter won't work"?

-- hide signature --

A photograph is a creative interpretation of reality.

Elemental Photography's gear list:Elemental Photography's gear list
Pentax Optio WG-2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
grumpyolderman
Senior MemberPosts: 1,085
Like?

AFAIK IR photgraphy with a filter is not very sensitive, maybe you just can not get a focus as there is not enough light (IR also focusses slightly to a different position compared to visible light) and the shutter will thus not fire? Try manual focussing or disable focus priority?

JL

Elemental Photography
Contributing MemberPosts: 614Gear list
Like?
GH3 hot mirror seems to be very effective
In reply to grumpyolderman, Apr 8, 2013

grumpyolderman wrote:

AFAIK IR photgraphy with a filter is not very sensitive, maybe you just can not get a focus as there is not enough light (IR also focusses slightly to a different position compared to visible light) and the shutter will thus not fire? Try manual focussing or disable focus priority?

JL

It depends on the camera and how effective it is at blocking IR at the sensor. A lot of EM5 users have reported good success with an unconverted camera and IR filter.

I've just run a quick little test and it seems the GH3 is quite good at blocking IR. At least, with a Hoya R72 filter and fairly bright conditions (partly cloudy) I'm getting an exposure in the ballpark of f/2.8, 1/2 second, ISO 12800.  On my GX1 (same lens and filter) I'm getting exposure times closer to 1/15. Ballpark estimate puts the GX1 about three stops more sensitive to IR.

This is hardly scientific, but should explain at least part of what is going on.

Im in the habit of sound af/mf together so I didn't notice any problems with the shutter releasing when I hit the button.

-- hide signature --

A photograph is a creative interpretation of reality.

Elemental Photography's gear list:Elemental Photography's gear list
Pentax Optio WG-2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Jeff Tokayer
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,910
Like?

Somebody did a test in this forum recently, with a few µ4/3 camera. His findings were that the GH3 is the least sensitive (strong filter) and the E-M5 the most sensitive (weak filter).

This could be the reason why you're experiencing focus problems with your GH-3. I wouldn't sacrifice a GH3 or EM5 for IR conversion, but I am doing it with a G3.

-- hide signature --

My nickel, since the penny is being discontinued...
Jeff.

BillHinge
Senior MemberPosts: 1,029
Like?

GH2 works with a 720nm filter @iso800 and 850nm filter @ iso6400

I recently got a s/h GF1 for a DIY conversion so before I started I did a side by side test and found the GF1 seems to be about 2/3 stop more sensitive than the GH2.

Perhaps as the panasonic cameras evolve the IR cut gets more severe?

Ollie 2
Senior MemberPosts: 1,364Gear list
Like?

gskolenda wrote:

Well I can't get my GH3 to give me any kind of exposure, and the shutter won't work, tried every possible exposure, slowest SS and F2.8 Apt, Highest ISO, when using a Hoya 58mm Infrared R72 filter?

Any one got any ideas or experience?

Thanks,

Leon

You'll need manual focus, wide aperture (narrow apertures tend to push hot spots) and a slow shutter - i.e: you'll need a tripod in most cases.

Also, IR wavelength is not recognised by the camera and is obviously different to the normal light spectrum so you can't focus with the filter off and then put it on. You need to focus with the filter on by overcompensating in the view finder, or the arduous and fairly hopeless technique of trial and error.

It's an inexact science and a steep learning curve.

Ollie 2's gear list:Ollie 2's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Olympus PEN E-P2 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +16 more
gskolenda
Contributing MemberPosts: 691Gear list
Like?
In reply to BillHinge, Apr 9, 2013

Thanks for your input here on this, I'm going to shoot some video tomorrow and I'll try a few IR shots at the recommended settings and manual focus and see what happens.

I'll post here in the next day as to what happened.

Leon

gskolenda's gear list:gskolenda's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads