Thom Hogan's assessment of a D400

Started Apr 8, 2013 | Discussions
jfriend00
Forum ProPosts: 11,106
Like?
Thom Hogan's assessment of a D400
Apr 8, 2013

Posted on his front page today: http://www.bythom.com/, Thom's thoughts on a D400 and what it would be and why Nikon probably will make one.

-- hide signature --
Nikon D40
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
thomas2279f
Senior MemberPosts: 2,401Gear list
Like?
Re: Thom Hogan's assessment of a D400
In reply to jfriend00, Apr 8, 2013

Interesting read - agree that Nikon should develop a pro Video line like Sony & Canon

thomas2279f's gear list:thomas2279f's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Nikon D7000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Nikon D7100 +47 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
azguy
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,115
Like?
In reply to thomas2279f, Apr 8, 2013

Yes, interesting.  I like his comments.

KnightPhoto2
Senior MemberPosts: 1,353Gear list
Like?

Thom says late summer, which gives me some time to keep saving, so is tolerable.  In addition to the features that Thom mentions I want to see:
- 1 XQD and 1 CF slot;

- WT-5 compatibility.

- of course MB-D12 and EN-EL18 for the grip.

The above will increase motivation for users to mix and match amongst D4, D800, D400 in their kit.

-- hide signature --

Best Regards,
SteveK
'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/119002

KnightPhoto2's gear list:KnightPhoto2's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Nikon 1 V3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +19 more
ScottRH
Senior MemberPosts: 1,614
Like?
In reply to KnightPhoto2, Apr 8, 2013

Two CF slots please.

thomas2279f
Senior MemberPosts: 2,401Gear list
Like?
In reply to KnightPhoto2, Apr 8, 2013

Same as D800 - CF & SD (for upgraders).... XQD hasn't been adopted by anyone else and only on one camera D4.      Nikon should have rolled this out on the D800, D600 and if Sony was serious in this format should have been on the A99.

Think the XQD go like the Betamax and mini-disk format into oblivion...

thomas2279f's gear list:thomas2279f's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Nikon D7000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Nikon D7100 +47 more
ScottRH
Like?

thomas2279f wrote:

Same as D800 - CF & SD (for upgraders).... XQD hasn't been adopted by anyone else and only on one camera D4.      Nikon should have rolled this out on the D800, D600 and if Sony was serious in this format should have been on the A99.

>Think the XQD go like the Betamax and mini-disk format into oblivion...

Agree on that point.

jfriend00
Forum ProPosts: 11,106
Like?

thomas2279f wrote:

Too early to say about XQD.  It has some significant speed advantages for cameras that go fast.  My guess is that we haven't seen it in any other cameras yet because Nikon hasn't shipped any speed cameras other than the D4 in the last 3 years.  A D400, D700x, D750, D800h, D4x would all be interesting candidates for it.  So, I think it's still too early to tell.

-- hide signature --
krikman
Regular MemberPosts: 292
Like?

jfriend00 wrote:

thomas2279f wrote:

Too early to say about XQD.  It has some significant speed advantages for cameras that go fast.  My guess is that we haven't seen it in any other cameras yet because Nikon hasn't shipped any speed cameras other than the D4 in the last 3 years.  A D400, D700x, D750, D800h, D4x would all be interesting candidates for it.  So, I think it's still too early to tell.

-- hide signature --

Comparing prices of XQD and CF we must compare fastest CF (and SD too) which are not cheap anyway.

Thanks Sony, XQD intervention alone lowered price of superfast cards for all formats.  I don't fully understand technology details behind XQD but suppose that it got assets for gygabyte speed per s. _continuous_ write. (something comparing SATA and SAS storage devices, identical in nature but different under heavy loads)

dw1
dw1
Regular MemberPosts: 187Gear list
Like?

Interesting read, like his observations on new glass too.  It's coming and I'm ready, bought the D300 when it first came out as an upgrade to my D70S.  Yep, I'm ready. 

Easter Morning with the iphone...

dw1's gear list:dw1's gear list
Nikon D70s Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +6 more
mark rupert
Regular MemberPosts: 257Gear list
Like?
In reply to dw1, Apr 9, 2013

I’m ready too. Just have to alert the divorce lawyer.

-- hide signature --

Mark

mark rupert's gear list:mark rupert's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
seahawk
Senior MemberPosts: 1,934
Like?
In reply to jfriend00, Apr 9, 2013

Nothing gets a websiute clicks like a D400 speculation.

-- hide signature --

hobby aviation photographer

Phil_L
Senior MemberPosts: 2,797
Like?
In reply to mark rupert, Apr 9, 2013

mark rupert wrote:

LOL!

Tip from an old hand, make sure your camera equipment is in a constant state of disorder and flux so the "better half" never gets an overview. After a few years they just give up.

-- hide signature --

Phil_L

dw1
dw1
Regular MemberPosts: 187Gear list
Like?
In reply to mark rupert, Apr 9, 2013

mark rupert wrote:

-- hide signature --

Mark

LOL.  Hey, my wife finally got used to it.  I explained this hobby is less expensive than golf and sometimes I actually get paid for the pictures.  (Doing some portrait work tomorrow  )

I figure I've put about $10,000 in.  More than recouped the cost in dollars but more importantly in enjoyment!

I mean just the fun here at DP is immeasurable 

Best,

Don

dw1's gear list:dw1's gear list
Nikon D70s Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +6 more
Keith Aitken
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,564
Like?
In reply to seahawk, Apr 9, 2013

I do wonder whether a D400 will be as revolutionary as the D300 in its day, or whether it will launch along the more evolutionary D3 to D4 transition. I mean, how much better can things get ?

Love the "constant state of flux" theory - I think it works . . .

-- hide signature --

. . .

photoreddi
Senior MemberPosts: 4,051
Like?
In reply to Nepentanova, Apr 9, 2013

Nepentanova wrote:

A quote from Thom, 2008

"D400: D300 replacement announced very late in the year if at all in 2009"

A quote from Thom, 2010

D400: announced late in the year (August or later). The real question is what changes from a D300s?

A qoute from Thom in 2013

I still believe that Mr. Van D400 will eventually wake, and my best guess would be he needs to break his slumber late this summer

He'll get it right eventually.....

There was nothing unreasonable in any of Thom's predictions. The first was really saying that it's not very likely that the D400 would be introduced as early as 2009 and the last prediction has yet to be proved right or wrong, so only one prediction has yet missed the mark, the second.  Maybe a better way to look at it is that eventually Nikon will get it right.

yray
      Contributing MemberPosts: 881
      Like?
      In reply to Keith Aitken, Apr 9, 2013

Keith Aitken wrote:

I do wonder whether a D400 will be as revolutionary as the D300 in its day, or whether it will launch along the more evolutionary D3 to D4 transition. I mean, how much better can things get ?

-- hide signature --

. . .

I think we already know what kind of IQ we can expect from the D400, just look at the D7100. I think it is pretty good, I don't think it is revolutionary.

With everything else you'll be splitting hairs comparing it to the D300, unless video and various bells and whistles matter to you a lot. In fact, most people looking forward to D400 probably don't want anything else changed from D300, lest Nikon ruin it with improvements.

I doubt this will be a game changer, I just don't see how can it be. Even if Nikon figured out how to make it shoot 30 frames a second -- do you really need it?

DaveR43
      Regular MemberPosts: 184Gear list
      Like?
      In reply to yray, Apr 9, 2013

These two items in his wish list caught my eye:

• On sensor supplemental focus. Imagine this: the mirror system stays for 8 fps and we have the usual Nikon focus system, but…we get a "mirror lift" mode that reveals phase detect on the sensor ala the Nikon 1. Yes, there may be some limitations with that mode (limited area, maybe no tracking), but coupled with the next bit it just extends the camera into new capabilities a pro would love.
      • Electronic shutter mode. Again, ala the Nikon 1, this lifts frame rates beyond the 8 fps the mechanical shutter provides. Nikon has demonstrated 15 fps with autofocus on the Nikon 1, why not have the same thing on a D400, even if it was a crop?

The electronic shutter and mirror lifted Nikon 1 style  autofocus would be perfect for wedding photography.  We use a Nikon V1 (with 18.5 1.8) and Sony rx100 during the actual ceremony to enable absolutely silent, flash-free photography.  To have this capability on a DSLR would be a big step forward!

-- hide signature --

DaveR

DaveR43's gear list:DaveR43's gear list
      Sony RX100 Nikon D70 Nikon D80 Nikon D300S Nikon 1 V1 +11 more
      ScottRH
      Like?
      In reply to Nepentanova, Apr 10, 2013
      Keyboard shortcuts: