Thank you for all your advises I have truly appreciated them! But I'm leaving now.

Started Apr 8, 2013 | Discussions
Stepside
New MemberPosts: 22
Like?
Thank you for all your advises I have truly appreciated them! But I'm leaving now.
Apr 8, 2013

My camera buying strategy. Or my: I want to make photos, manifesto
(for those off us who don't earn a living making pictures...............)

About equipment
1.  Read everything there is to read, even forums like this one
2. Talk to everyone there is to talk to (about cameras)

Make a purchase based on your acquired fragile knowledge  It will probably be the wrong one, but your learning. Buy one extra lens if you absolutely have to, maybe not the most expensive.........

Are you happy? Go to 3. Not happy with your choices? Read on.

Sell your camera (and maybe/probabaly lenses) you will lose money Photography as a hobby or semi prointerest, is not about making money).

Go back to 1 and 2

Make a new purchase based on your not so fragile knowledge, and stick with it. Read on.

3. Buy the best lenses, not the best you can afford, buy the best, If you cant afford them save. Be very clear about what you really need. No one, that's not professional, NEEDS more then 3 lenses (maybe 4..................)

Stop reading forums like this one, don't read tests of new hardware  don't buy magazines that contains reviews of equipment (types)  you already have!...............

Make photos, make pictures....make art....even make art....do what you like the best ..

When your camera breaks, go back to 1, but this time, only read about what camera fits your lenses!

Exceptions to the rule:
If you buy a big heavy DSLR like Nikon 800 or Canon 5D you are permitted to buy one decent compact, NOT RX1, its to expensive , buy RX100 (to give you an example).

-- hide signature --

This his is what I will do from this very moment! I will not read any forums. I will not read DP, image resources. I will not read about equipment on the net and in magazines. 
I found the camera that's perfect for my needs and now I will use my time to make the best photos....art I can.
The camera I/you have chosen will serve us well in doing just that. Its not relay about technology  in today's digital photography.

You don't have to thank me for these advises. I know it will save you TIME and MONEY, it WILL make you able to produce lovely and interesting pictures in the long run. Its even ecologic...

Canon EOS 5D Sony RX1 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ajamils1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,055Gear list
Like?
Re: Thank you for all your advises I have truly appreciated them! But I'm leaving now.
In reply to Stepside, Apr 8, 2013

So what's your new system of  choice?

ajamils1's gear list:ajamils1's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
BingoCharlie
Contributing MemberPosts: 849
Like?
Re: Thank you for all your advises I have truly appreciated them! But I'm leaving now.
In reply to ajamils1, Apr 8, 2013

Why so many rules?  I do agree with you that we would all be better served by spending more time taking pictures and less time on these forums.

markymark101
Senior MemberPosts: 1,031Gear list
Like?

If I'd follow your advice - might save me a lot of money on lenses - but hey, somebody has to keep the economy going by buying stuff they don't need!

markymark101's gear list:markymark101's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +3 more
daymon
Regular MemberPosts: 105Gear list
Like?

"Buy one body, one lens. Trust me you do not need anything more. Okay, add a powershot if you insist..." Wow, are you Ken Rockwell?

daymon's gear list:daymon's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 +5 more
Stepside
Like?
In reply to daymon, Apr 8, 2013

daymon wrote:

"Buy one body, one lens. Trust me you do not need anything more. Okay, add a powershot if you insist..." Wow, are you Ken Rockwell?

Ken Rockwell?
I'm the brother, or maybe sister (keep forgetting) of Jaba the Hutt.
Small hand but BIG belly.................

Len_Gee
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,592Gear list
Like?

So what is your camera of choice, and 3-4 lens kit?

Got pics to post?

Len_Gee's gear list:Len_Gee's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4
BingoCharlie
Contributing MemberPosts: 849
Like?
In reply to daymon, Apr 8, 2013

daymon wrote:

Yeah, that kind of stuff sounds great when you're sitting at home but it's very limiting in the field.

If you really, really just want one body and one lens, go buy an Olympus Stylus Epic f/2.8 35mm camera and shoot film.  Your pictures will be tack sharp and you can have fun experimenting with different emulsions.  Plus you get to say "emulsion, which is a cool word.  Some of the best shots I've taken in the past couple of years came from my Stylus, but I would hate to have it as my only option.

Stepside
Like?
In reply to BingoCharlie, Apr 8, 2013

If you really, really just want one body and one lens,

Read the text I didn't say anything like that 

Stepside
Like?
In reply to Len_Gee, Apr 8, 2013

Len_Gee wrote:

So what is your camera of choice, and 3-4 lens kit?

Got pics to post?

After going the Canon route I settled for GH3. Got a 12-35 today, sold the 14-45, and keep my 7-14. My wife has a RX100 that I sometimes lend.

No photos (that I'm willing) to post this time, exhibition coming up in a years time..........................

Stepside
Like?

BingoCharlie wrote:

Yeah, that kind of stuff sounds great when you're sitting at home but it's very limiting in the field.

I don't go out in the fields

Stepside
Like?

BingoCharlie wrote:

Why so many rules?  I do agree with you that we would all be better served by spending more time taking pictures and less time on these forums.

many  ?????? Just tree don't by new stuff all the time..........................and don't read about it...and don't by things you don't need

caimi
Contributing MemberPosts: 517
Like?

4. Learn a little basic grammar.

When you write, "but your learning"  you are contracting two words, you and are. You do this by writing "you're" not "your.

When you write, "its too expensive" you are contracting the words, "it" and "is. You do this by writing "it's" not "its". Also, when you are indicating something is excessive, use the word "too", not "to".

Proper grammar goes a long way in carrying your argument.

Stepside
Like?
In reply to caimi, Apr 8, 2013

Proper grammar goes a long way in carrying your argument.

Guess you proved that right now, professor! Any other brilliant remarks? No come to think of it, lets leave it as it is.........

Stepside
Like?

I'm off......................by and thank you all.

caimi
Like?

Why do people get angry when their poor grammar is corrected? It isn't brain surgery. Learn it.

caimi
Like?
In reply to caimi, Apr 8, 2013

P.S.  It's "let's", not lets. It is a contraction of "let us". So long.

Guy Parsons
Forum ProPosts: 19,427Gear list
Like?
I am staying....

Stepside wrote:

The basic 1/2/3 rules are fine but this next I don't agree with....

Stop reading forums like this one, don't read tests of new hardware  don't buy magazines that contains reviews of equipment (types)  you already have!...............

No, keep reading forums, as there's a lot to learn here. I reckon my first couple of years on photo forums about ten years or more back taught me more than the previous 40 years of books and magazines etc. The interaction and fast feedback from members from anywhere in the world makes getting help and advice so easy.

Of course you need to learn to apply the "sensible filter" to weed out the rubbish advice.

Make photos, make pictures....make art....even make art....do what you like the best ..

Absolutely, but keep posting of cat and dog images to an absolute minimum.

When your camera breaks, go back to 1, but this time, only read about what camera fits your lenses!

No, make sure the warranty or extended warranty gets it fixed. Only seek replacements if the incoming model is somehow way better than the current model, usually skip 3 models seems to be good advice.

Exceptions to the rule:
If you buy a big heavy DSLR like Nikon 800 or Canon 5D you are permitted to buy one decent compact, NOT RX1, its to expensive , buy RX100 (to give you an example).

No exceptions, every system camera needs a neat compact in a belt pouch for those sneaky shots or just for a casual walk where taking any shoulder bag is a pain or awkward.

-- hide signature --

This his is what I will do from this very moment! I will not read any forums. I will not read DP, image resources. I will not read about equipment on the net and in magazines.

Big mistake, you are stunting your learning and ability to solve problems.

I found the camera that's perfect for my needs and now I will use my time to make the best photos....art I can.
The camera I/you have chosen will serve us well in doing just that. Its not relay about technology  in today's digital photography.

If it works for you then that is perfect, but keep an eye on forums to help expand your knowledge on your system camera, don't use forums as a buying guide only.

In my case I have now settled on E-PL5 as the ability to assign the 4 custom settings to any spots on the Mode dial makes that a perfect camera for me. Just like using the C1/2 of the Panasonics but more versatile. Can't see me updating on that for say at least 5 years, which is a realistic time frame for digital bodies.

You don't have to thank me for these advises. I know it will save you TIME and MONEY, it WILL make you able to produce lovely and interesting pictures in the long run. Its even ecologic...

I save money by not trying to be first on the block with anything. Even my car is now 13 years old and the current mess of techno trash cars does not interest me.

Having some way to pay for the hobby is a good idea, I have fallen into intermittently making print display stands for camera clubs as a retirement hobby project and the small profit from that pays for workshop replacements and my camera habit.

Regards...... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 +17 more
Hen3ry
Forum ProPosts: 10,918Gear list
Like?
Total waste of bandwidth

Can’t understand why anyone is treating the OP seriously.

Cheers, geoff

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +4 more
SeeRoy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,548Gear list
Like?
Refreshing thread!
In reply to Guy Parsons, Apr 8, 2013

I've enjoyed the posts I've read, those that I have only skimmed and even the posts that only exist in my imagination - which largely concern incorrect grammar on photographic forums.

Roy

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads