Fuji X100s or Sony Nex 6 pz 16-50

Started Apr 8, 2013 | Discussions
sergio2560
New MemberPosts: 3Gear list
Like?
Fuji X100s or Sony Nex 6 pz 16-50
Apr 8, 2013

At the end have arrived to select these two alernative regarding the portability and image quality. both are cameras that allow control over shooting parameters fairly complete. the dilemma is: give up the possibility of having a zoom lens for a more pocket-sized machine with OOC colors that satisfy me more, or choose the option that allows me in the future to expand the range of lenses for new photographic situations? (at the time I take photographs while traveling and to my family, so very disparate situations).

For me the important thing is to have a camera ready for use, which is not wrong focus, allows me to easily adjust shutter speed and aperture and produces good quality images.

sergio2560's gear list:sergio2560's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
J Yohan
Regular MemberPosts: 119Gear list
Like?
Re: Fuji X100s or Sony Nex 6 pz 16-50
In reply to sergio2560, Apr 8, 2013

sergio2560 wrote:

At the end have arrived to select these two alernative regarding the portability and image quality. both are cameras that allow control over shooting parameters fairly complete. the dilemma is: give up the possibility of having a zoom lens for a more pocket-sized machine with OOC colors that satisfy me more, or choose the option that allows me in the future to expand the range of lenses for new photographic situations? (at the time I take photographs while traveling and to my family, so very disparate situations).

For me the important thing is to have a camera ready for use, which is not wrong focus, allows me to easily adjust shutter speed and aperture and produces good quality images.

Two questions come to mind...

- Do you shoot RAW or JPEG? If RAW, pick either.

- Do you need a zoom and want different lenses or does a prime work for you? you know where this is going...

X100s is a camera that I wanted to love. So far it hasn't been a love at first sight. There's definitely something different to its images that I like. But low light autofocus performance is disappointing. And focus peaking could be better.

NEX 7 + CZ 24mm has been a dependable machine for while. People can say what they want about NEX AF.. I find my NEX combo autofocuses better than the X100s in many situations including low light. Using DMF and focus peaking on will help you confirm what the camera is focusing on.

We're lucky to have so many choices these days.

J Yohan's gear list:J Yohan's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Carl Zeiss Planar T* 2/50 ZM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Gary H
Senior MemberPosts: 1,699Gear list
Like?

You need to figure out what you need.

How can a stranger tell you which type of camera to get?

This isn't like should I get a NEX-7, or NEX6.  These are very different cameras and until you have some idea as to what you want, keep your money in your pocket.

Gary H's gear list:Gary H's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS-1D Mark III Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 +10 more
cptrios
Senior MemberPosts: 1,347
Like?
In reply to Gary H, Apr 8, 2013

You can get a used NEX-6 kit and a used X100 (not S) for just a bit more than an X100s alone...wink wink, nudge nudge.

One thing, though, is that I'd prepare yourself to not be particularly thrilled with the IQ coming from the 16-50 PZ. It's not bad as kit lenses go, but you sacrifice quite a bit for that small size.

sgoldswo
Senior MemberPosts: 3,400Gear list
Like?
What do you want?

sergio2560 wrote:

That's what you need to ask yourself.

I said in my X100S review that many people would find an ILC more useful if it is their only camera, but that as a conscious choice of fixed focal length it is magnificent. I stand by that and I think the AF performance on the X100S is excellent as is the controllability. But you need to be comfortable that you will only be able to shoot with a 35mm (or 28) FOV. If you aren't, you need an ILC.

If I were to recommend a ILC it would be the X-E1, not the NEX-6, which has too much in common with the  NEX-7 for my liking. Personally I found the AF performance on the NEX-7 I owned was weak (particularly in comparison to the X100S). I found it often inaccurate in low light (it would claim to have focused but had not actually locked). I've found my X100S fast and accurate in comparison (and contraversially I actually think the X-E1/X-Pro1 is better at AF in low light). I think many who struggle fail to adopt the "tricks" of those who have been shooting X cameras for longer - keep your focus box large and switch to AF-C in low light.

If you think you would be comfortable with a fixed focal length (ironically enough, having just bought another DSLR to complement my mirrorless kit, I prefer the 35mm lens I bought to the 24-70 zoom I bought at the same time) I would say get the X100S. If not, I would direct you to the X-E1.

If you do go for the NEX-6, get the Zeiss 24 or Sigma 30 instead of the power zoom, which is weak optically.

sgoldswo's gear list:sgoldswo's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Olympus E-M1 Nikon Df Nikon D810
svx94
Senior MemberPosts: 2,288Gear list
Like?
suggest X-E1 or Nex6
In reply to sgoldswo, Apr 8, 2013

I picked X-E1 because I am so used to zoom and need different view angle from different lenses. If I can bring only one camera, X100/s is not in the short list at all for that reason.  I think I am fine with Nex 6, or even RX100.

svx94's gear list:svx94's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 4500 Nikon D700 Fujifilm X-M1 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon PC-E Nikkor 24mm f/3.5D ED +9 more
Weistling
Regular MemberPosts: 164
Like?

I have both of these cameras. From what you describe , I would say the NEX 6 is the one for you.

The X100s makes you slow down a little more and think about the shot. It's about the experience of making the shot work with one fixed lens and taking control a little more.

The Nex 6 is perfect for family and especially shooting kids. The swivel out lcd screen is fantastic for shooting low on kids without breaking your knees and back. This is not a minor point.

Image quality is great on both cameras.

-- hide signature --
powP0Wpow
Regular MemberPosts: 121
Like?
In reply to Weistling, Apr 9, 2013

If you do black and white, you might be interested that the NEX cameras have better shadow detail  where as the the Fuji cameras are better at keeping tonality in the highlights.

Astrophotographer 10
Senior MemberPosts: 4,588Gear list
Like?
In reply to powP0Wpow, Apr 9, 2013

I have XE1 and Nex 6.

Nex 6 is a good all round camera. The 16-50 lens isn't too bad and I like the power zoom. As mentioned the Zeiss 24mm F1.8 gets fabulous reviews but is $1100 all by itself. You can get manual Contax g lenses for less than that and they are great but you can also do that for an XE1.

Sony ergonomics though leave a lot to be desired and the buttons on the body are a bit cheapish.

Menus are terrible. Also menu items are often not available in this or that mode - I find that annoying to set it up at times. So its a very good camera (same sensor as X100s by the way, just with a Bayer matrix not X tran matrix).

AF is good. Tilt screen is good. Manual focus peaking is good, its small, its light, there are a ton of adapters for cheap but good legacy lenses (same can be said for XE1).

XE1 on the other hand is a more engaging experience. Menus are very well thought and easy to find things. Easy to set the camera, beautiful high quality fit and finish. X100s is the same. Beautiful build and heft. Very engaging.

Nex 6 video is superb. The camera does everything in a small package. Coupled with a good lens (the Contax g are superb) it is a good experience. From reviews and posts a few Sony lenses are great but overall consensus is Fuji lenses leave them for dead except Zeiss 24mm F1.8 ($1100 lens).

So yeah a hard decision. They both seem equally interesting. It may depend on what weights you put on interchangeable lenses. Then it becomes XE1 versus Nex 6. Tough one. I would not swap my XE1 for Nex 6 but it sure would be close.

Fit, finish, ooc jpeg quality, fuji lenses, great menus win me over to Fuji. Sony has a solid feel to camera and despite having every known piece of camera technology it still has a point and shoot aspect to it. Plus the Sony engineers interfere too much with the dummy user who has to be stopped from making a mistake by disabling this that and other thing all the time in their menus.

Fuji is more respectful of the photographer.

So not to cheapen the Nex because it is good, I would sum up as Fuji is more the photographer's camera and Nex more the casual upgrader from a point and shoot type of camera. It has that distinct feel to it. Sony Nex is a bit too automatic to be totally engaging even though you can set everything manually once you get used to the extremely poorly thought out menu system.

Greg.

mdavidp
Senior MemberPosts: 1,172Gear list
Like?
In reply to Astrophotographer 10, Apr 9, 2013

Greg, Thank you for your informative post.

Mike P

mdavidp's gear list:mdavidp's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2
Lawliet
New MemberPosts: 13
Like?

I have the nex6 and will be moving over to the xe1.

And yeah. I totally agree. The nex6 is a fantastic camera but the way the menus and dials are set really work against you.

Most Sony lenses are so-so at best but I guess since they are very "casual prices" it's to be expected.

The 16-50 is my least favorite lens. There are many things you're sacrificing for the portability and honestly I don't think it's really worth the tradeoff.

Many of its features feel very tacked on as well. Most of the wifi function feels very rough and complicate the already messy menu/UI.

I'm no professional. Photography is a hobby. And although nex6 is a great kit. Unless you're a tech junkie who enjoy messing with confusing menus the xe1 is the way to go.

Xe1 is a camera. The nex6 is a gadget.

Fogsville
Contributing MemberPosts: 506
Like?

Astrophotographer 10 wrote:

....the Sony engineers interfere too much with the dummy user who has to be stopped from making a mistake by disabling this that and other thing all the time in their menus.

So not to cheapen the Nex because it is good, I would sum up as Fuji is more the photographer's camera and Nex more the casual upgrader from a point and shoot type of camera. It has that distinct feel to it. Sony Nex is a bit too automatic to be totally engaging even though you can set everything manually once you get used to the extremely poorly thought out menu system.

Greg.

This is a good summation.  As a long time Leica user (especially the film M cameras) I find that using the X100s is really enjoyable.  The interface between photographer and the tool is extremely important to me. The NEX series ended up being a burden to use.  And as far as the IQ, pretty much everything out there has reached a level of high competency.

blulegend
Senior MemberPosts: 1,600
Like?
In reply to Fogsville, Apr 10, 2013

Fogsville wrote:

Astrophotographer 10 wrote:

....the Sony engineers interfere too much with the dummy user who has to be stopped from making a mistake by disabling this that and other thing all the time in their menus.

Greg.

This is a good summation.  As a long time Leica user (especially the film M cameras) I find that using the X100s is really enjoyable.  The interface between photographer and the tool is extremely important to me. The NEX series ended up being a burden to use.  And as far as the IQ, pretty much everything out there has reached a level of high competency.

I also agree here.  I consciously chose then X100S to help advance my "eye" and to inspire more artistic photography.  I plan on selling my D7000 kit, some of which I've had since the D70, to concentrate on the X100S as my only camera for a while.  I'm also doing this as a bridge to whatever comes down the pipeline in the next few years.  I feel we are at a crossroads between mirrored and mirrorless just like we were a few years ago between film and digital.  So far the X100S has surpassed my expectations and is a fun tool.  Before making this decision, I looked through my vast stores of images and found most of my shots between 24 and 40mm (35mm equivalents).  Since I haven't invested in a good tele, my tele shots weren't very special, except a few very well composed ones.  I plan to get a wide angle converter soon to bring my down to 24mm.  I also tend to shoot when I'm out and about and that makes me lazy to change lenses anyway.  And when I'm hiking I tend not to make many lens changes either because I don't want to bog myself down with a bunch of equipment.  So over the years, I carry less and less.  And now, my D7000 with its light 16-85mm go in my light weight daypack with no case at all (just throw it in there).  So after some careful evaluation, I felt I would do better with the X100S than the NEX-6 (with or without kit lens, and with the CZ 24 or something like that).  The NEX-6 I felt would give me too much lens envy and I would end up complicating rather than simplifying my style.

I hope that stream of consciousness post makes sense.  I hardly post nowadays and just read.  Since I've been doing heavy research and evaluation in my transition to mirrorless, I thought I would chime in.  I was considering the NEX-6, OM-D and X100S.

-- hide signature --

-Jack
==================
http://blupic.com/show

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads