Nikon D800 or D7100 for aspiring photographer

Started Apr 8, 2013 | Discussions
aperturegeorge
Regular MemberPosts: 152Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon D800 or D7100 for aspiring photographer
In reply to Jeffcs, Apr 9, 2013

Perfecly said, this is what I tell my Canon friends.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ranalli
Contributing MemberPosts: 861
Like?
In reply to Imaginethis, Apr 9, 2013

Imaginethis wrote:

I'm hoping this is a joke, right?

It's fairly rife with sarcasm.

ranalli
Contributing MemberPosts: 861
Like?
In reply to greg606, Apr 9, 2013

greg606 wrote:

Hi

I need your advise. I recently sold my Canon 50D and and C 70-300 and stayed with C 17-55 2.8.

I bought Nikon D7100 with 18-300.

But....

Now I am considering switching it to D800 + primes. I decided to switch to nikon based on dxomark scores and more attractive prices.  I am not a pro but I am aiming to. I have an IT company with photography as one of the fields of operationWhat's important to me is superior image quality.  I shoot mainly personal shots - family, journeys (now I go to Toscany)  I love wildilfe photograph.

I am dissatisfied with perfomance of d71000 (5frames!, small buffer, too small for my hands, small viewfinder) and totally with the lens (I bought terrible lens with hell of distortions, loq IQ).

If I buy d800 I will initially go with 1-2 primes which can be hard for me as I love zooms convenience but I was planning to switch to more image quality and landed with some bad choices.  Also d800 would place me in the market with some earning potential as I dont see d7100 here. But I read - not good for weddings, not god for concerts, not good for animals, sports at all.

I feel d800 will be switch into full artistic expression. I love catching the moments.

What would you advice?

Nikon d800 has some limitations for me too - FPS being one. But image quality is something I'm aiming at.

On the other hand I am more gadget man than really into photography (feel unhappy with anything than best). Of course price is also a factor, too.

some my photos: http://szczotka.net/photography

Look, not to sound negative but you're wasting your money and your talent if you think that buying a D800 is doing to dramatically help your photography.

If money is no object then sure...it may help a little...maybe.

But get better glass, light modifiers, etc.  I can think of several other things beyond a body that will greatly further your photography over the latest body.

Having a great camera and taking crummy pictures is a complete waste; I'm not saying your pictures are crummy but I'm sure you get my point...body really doesn't matter.

People are still taking fantastic breath-taking photos with their D40s, D70s, D90s, etc.

rgolub
Senior MemberPosts: 2,049Gear list
Like?
In reply to Imaginethis, Apr 9, 2013

Except he didn't mention tripods.:-(

Or Photoshop.  How are your post processing skills?  You will be competing with folks that have excellent post processing techniques.  How about business skills?  There are lots of folks here on DPR that are quite good photographers but won't even consider doing it professionally because the business aspect is a really difficult skill set to master.

But seriously, you can't buy your way into pro anything.  You have to do it.  Your current kit is better than most pros a decade or so ago.  It will take excellent images with some limitations.

Right now, your biggest limitation is likely to be you.  Work on that first. You want to be a pro at weddings, concerts and in the wilderness?  That's some high bar you have set for yourself.  Use your current gear hard for say, six months.  Get a decent tripod and a basic lighting set.

Then figure out where you want to go and come up with a plan on how to get there.

-- hide signature --

RG
www.lostrange.com

rgolub's gear list:rgolub's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +12 more
greg606
New MemberPosts: 16
Like?

Thanks all.

What do you think of initial set of D800 + 85 1.8, 50 1.8, 28 1.8?
Next for sure 70-200 or 80-400.

Thanks Robin Casady I will definitely read the book.

AofA
Forum MemberPosts: 94
Like?

the type of camera does not make a "pro".

get some exceptional lenses.

MikeInIndy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,075Gear list
Like?
In reply to Robin Casady, Apr 9, 2013

And with more and more component cost cutting, electronics to fail and planned obsolescence etc they're getting to be even less so.  Oh, and don't forget that any problem even in warranty is likely to be "impact damage".  Frankly we're reaching a zenith where "slower" and cheaper glass can get you image quality that is more than adequate results for most uses.  I switched to a 70-200 f4 rather than buying a VRII 2.8 and am glad I went that way for example.  And aside from having to correct distortion every time my 24-85 VR seems to be more than sufficiently sharp.  I'm actually surprised Nikon took so long to release a new 80-400 or why they don't release some "slow" telephoto primes.  And the old "digital cameras become worthless in no time" is starting to fall off since even a used digital camera is now so powerful.  See the selling prices and performance of a used D700 if you're not sure.  Low end DX cameras are still a commodity but high end cameras that perform hold their value reasonably well.

-- hide signature --

-Mike

MikeInIndy's gear list:MikeInIndy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Nikon Coolpix 950 Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D600 +13 more
larrywilson
Senior MemberPosts: 3,322Gear list
Like?

Greg,

Actually the d7100 isn't that bad.  I am using it for a backup for my d4, so yes the d7100 is a very good camera.  It will not hold you back from taking excellant images, is built well and the sensor is also excellant.  Lenses is where it is at nowdays.  I would suggest buying professional lenses and stay away from Nikons cheaper ones.  Lenses such as the older 28-70 f2.8 is an example of a good lens that you can buy used.  Work on your skills by taking a field seminar, reading professional photographers books and getting a good foundation.  Good luck Greg in your pursuit of your interests.

Larry

greg606
Like?
In reply to larrywilson, Apr 9, 2013

Thanks,

So lens, then.

I love zooms so maybe 70-200 2.8 or killer 80-400

Animals would flee in fear

larrywilson, what about these primes:

28, 50, 85 all 1.8 - they are very cheap and according to dxomark best lenses in the world

AZBlue
Contributing MemberPosts: 865Gear list
Like?

The D7100 has plenty of resolution for what you need, you just need better lenses. The challenge with the D7100's DX sensor is that it has a 1.5x crop factor. For instance, a 20mm lens on a full frame camera will give you the expected 20mm wide angle view. Put the same lens on a smaller sensor DX camera like the D7100 and you end up with a field of view equivalent to 30mm on a full frame camera.

If you are shooting far away objects, a DX sensor will give you added reach without giving up pixels via cropping. If this is your subject matter, you will end up with more detailed photos at lower cost using the D7100. If you shoot wide angle subjects, perhaps a camera with an FX sensor may be a better option.

Before switching to another camera, I suggest you hold it in your hands first or better yet, rent one from your local camera place so you can try it for a few days and see how you like it.

-- hide signature --

"I've been in more laps than a napkin" - Mae West

AZBlue's gear list:AZBlue's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM +1 more
greg606
Like?
In reply to AZBlue, Apr 9, 2013

I guess IQ and low ISO performance cannot be compared too...

Andy365
New MemberPosts: 3Gear list
Like?
In reply to ranalli, Apr 9, 2013

Couldn't agree more. I had a a D70s and upgraded to D7000 and bought a 35mm 1.8 at the same time.  The new camera and lens were amazing and although I love the 7000 when I put the new lens on the 70 it became clear it was mostly the lens! And my increased talent which I downloaded from a web site that day also.

I'm saving for the pro series trinity and not bothering with the 7100 at all.

Andy365's gear list:Andy365's gear list
Nikon D7000
PHXAZCRAIG
Forum ProPosts: 10,892Gear list
Like?

Even your old camera would be fine for catching the moment.   Probably better than most, with a superzoom, since you're almost always going to have a lens that can be zoomed to the best focal range for the composition.

You don't need a D800 to get great shots.  Nor primes.   But if you do, and if you start looking critically at the images (pixel peep), I've little doubt you'll be forced to learn a lot of ins and outs of photographic discpline, and understand the pros and cons of whatever lens you put on the camera.  In that respect, a D800 can help teach you photography, though more about the gear and how to achieve the highest resolution than anything else.   An important, yet minor part of photography.

-- hide signature --

Craig
www.cjcphoto.net

PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +32 more
Petroglyph
Senior MemberPosts: 2,839Gear list
Like?

Rent the D800 with a Nikkor 50mm f/1.8g and a Nikkor 35mm f/1.8g for your D7100.  This will give you about the same FOV on both cams.  Try to take the same shots with both cameras and then compare your results at the end of the day.  (Be sure and carry the D800 around all day to see how you like that)  When I was trying out these cams I thought I'd never use the "1.3 crop" feature on the D7100.  I found it so useful I programmed one of the front buttons to change back and forth during the trial.  The D7100 will be a pretty good sports camera in my opinion, if that is your thing.  Have fun, we really are all about the gear here.  Ha.

Petroglyph's gear list:Petroglyph's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM
Robin Casady
Forum ProPosts: 11,683
Like?
In reply to Jeffcs, Apr 10, 2013

Jeffcs wrote:
Owning a Nikon does not make you a photographer it makes you a Nikon owner
Jeffcs

Or, a CSI squint.

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."
— Bertrand Russell

Jeffcs
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
In reply to greg606, Apr 10, 2013

At this point I think many have given you some great ideas and nearly all have the same thoughts. First of all you have a really good body and for now keep the D7100 and than add a couple of really good zooms 24/70F2.8 and 70/200 F2.8vrII. With that said there are 3 things least important to most camera body -lens - photographer as the camera and lens combination are no better than a paperweight until used to create an image. So I suggest they you read - eat - breath photography and learn the craft. I have a great learning site on the web "kelby" search for it I think it costs $179 per year and has unlimited time it's a great place to learn. I have p---- off some people when asked what the best camera they can buy to make great photos my reply "owning a Nikon doesn't not make you a photographer , it makes you a Nikon owner" as if to purchase the best will make any one a great shooter. I do not want to sound contrary I think I've seen many over buy, get frustrated put the camera down never to grow into the potential that have.
Go learn make it fun I mean it must be fun and enjoy
Jeff

Paul Crouse
Junior MemberPosts: 46
Like?
Re: A Nikon D800 is overkill by a hundred miles

A D800 is the wrong tool for your intentions.

People on this website often get caught up with "I must have the best!" and then spend way too much money on a tool miles above their skill level -- or need. This website enables over consumption.

You are much better off spending money and time taking a photography class -- or paying someone to tutor you.

If you can not get good images from a D7100, then you will not get good images from a D800. You will become very frustrated.

Betters lenses will help. 16-85mm and 70-200 f4 with your D7100 should fill most of your needs.

Why do you need 35 megapixel files? Are photographing in a studio for train station posters?

Good luck.

Paul

Dennis2958
Regular MemberPosts: 483Gear list
Like?

I need your advise.

Now I am considering switching it to D800 + primes.

What would you advice?

If you're serious about this get the 7100.

If you're dead serious about this then get the 800.

I'm serious...............

Dennis2958's gear list:Dennis2958's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +5 more
greg606
Like?
In reply to Dennis2958, Apr 11, 2013

what do you mean?

Rich Rosen
Senior MemberPosts: 1,304Gear list
Like?
In reply to greg606, Apr 11, 2013

greg606 wrote:

Hi

I need your advise. I recently sold my Canon 50D and and C 70-300 and stayed with C 17-55 2.8.

I bought Nikon D7100 with 18-300.

But....

Now I am considering switching it to D800 + primes. I decided to switch to nikon based on dxomark scores and more attractive prices.  I am not a pro but I am aiming to. I have an IT company with photography as one of the fields of operationWhat's important to me is superior image quality.  I shoot mainly personal shots - family, journeys (now I go to Toscany)  I love wildilfe photograph.

I am dissatisfied with perfomance of d71000 (5frames!, small buffer, too small for my hands, small viewfinder) and totally with the lens (I bought terrible lens with hell of distortions, loq IQ).

If I buy d800 I will initially go with 1-2 primes which can be hard for me as I love zooms convenience but I was planning to switch to more image quality and landed with some bad choices.  Also d800 would place me in the market with some earning potential as I dont see d7100 here. But I read - not good for weddings, not god for concerts, not good for animals, sports at all.

I feel d800 will be switch into full artistic expression. I love catching the moments.

What would you advice?

Nikon d800 has some limitations for me too - FPS being one. But image quality is something I'm aiming at.

On the other hand I am more gadget man than really into photography (feel unhappy with anything than best). Of course price is also a factor, too.

some my photos: http://szczotka.net/photography

You can't possibly judge the D7100 image quality, and its full potential, with your admitted bad 18-300. Get those primes, or the "holy trinity" first. If size of the camera is a concern, get the MB-D 15 grip. If you are still not happy, then opt for the D800.

Rich Rosen's gear list:Rich Rosen's gear list
Nikon D1X Nikon D610 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF +23 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads