Started Apr 8, 2013 | Photos
b4cktr4ck
Regular MemberPosts: 133Gear list
Like?
water splash - fail
Apr 8, 2013

Hi,

I wanted to freeze the water splashing but the result is not what I wanted

I set the camera to the highest sync speed (1/180), as I noticed that with slower shutter speed the shot was even more blurred. Medium aperture f/6.3 to get people in focus and increased the ISO high to get some ambient light.The flash was off camera and behind a white shoot thru umbrella, about 1/4 power.

Maybe using direct flash would have frozen better the water? but I didn't want to have harsh light on the people

b4cktr4ck's gear list:b4cktr4ck's gear list
Canon EOS 6D
hotdog321
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,427
Like?
Re: water splash - fail
In reply to b4cktr4ck, Apr 8, 2013

This looks pretty good, but I think you got ghosting from the ambient light. The only way I can think to freeze the splash is to shoot in dim light and let the flash freeze the action. I shot this one during my film daze and turned out the dojo lights. Not perfect, but there was still some ambient light and I was having to shoot at something horrible like 1/60 or 1/125 sec:

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
SeaScout851
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,334
Like?
In reply to b4cktr4ck, Apr 8, 2013

Set the camera to high speed sync.  Then go to manual mode.  You'll then need to try different settings to make sure you get the light right.  But I'd start with something like ISO 400,  F5.6 and 1/1000 sec.

Andy

b4cktr4ck
Like?
In reply to SeaScout851, Apr 9, 2013

is there any disadvantage in using HHS?

Canon EOS 6D
Peter Berressem
Forum ProPosts: 10,647
Like?
In reply to b4cktr4ck, Apr 9, 2013

b4cktr4ck wrote:

is there any disadvantage in using HHS?

Well, you lose some (3 f/stops) of the flash power, resulting in either a wider aperture or higher ISO.

-- hide signature --

cheers, Peter
Germany

b4cktr4ck
Like?
In reply to Peter Berressem, Apr 10, 2013

so it's like a compromise right. I can freeze the water but I may not be able to capture ambient light and/or use a wider aperture and potentially loose some focus on the people

Canon EOS 6D
LincolnB
Senior MemberPosts: 3,617Gear list
Like?
In reply to b4cktr4ck, Apr 11, 2013

b4cktr4ck wrote:

Hi,

I wanted to freeze the water splashing but the result is not what I wanted

I set the camera to the highest sync speed (1/180), as I noticed that with slower shutter speed the shot was even more blurred.

Yes, because a higher percentage of the lighting is coming from ambient and thus being captured at the full shutter duration. The longer the shutter is open the more blur you're going to get. You wanted the majority of your lighting to come from flash, not ambient. Essentially the ambient is being recorded at 1/180th of a second while the flash is roughly 1/2000th (depending on your flash unit).

Medium aperture f/6.3 to get people in focus and increased the ISO high to get some ambient light.The flash was off camera and behind a white shoot thru umbrella, about 1/4 power.

Maybe using direct flash would have frozen better the water? but I didn't want to have harsh light on the people

Then use flash with as diffuse light source as you can manage, e.g. a larger umbrella or a closer umbrella.

This is a mix of mostly flash and and a little bit of ambient, at 1/60th. Note the combination of both blur and freeze-frame:

These are almost entirely lit with flash:

LincolnB's gear list:LincolnB's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Fujifilm X-E1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS +4 more
b4cktr4ck
Like?
In reply to LincolnB, Apr 11, 2013

thanks for the clarification and examples! building experience

Canon EOS 6D
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads