Full Frame NEX When?

Started Apr 8, 2013 | Discussions
cmc1
Regular MemberPosts: 151Gear list
Like?
Full Frame NEX When?
Apr 8, 2013

I keep hearing rumours of a full frame NEX but when is it coming and will it be able to take E mount lens' and how will this affect the crop factor?

Will it be like the Nikon D600 where as you have the FX full frame lens but still able to mount DX cropped lens with the added benefit of speedier FPS?

I am itching for a full frame camera and not sure if I should wait for this possible ff NEX to see if it can make use my E mounts or just go for a Canon or Nikon?

cmc1's gear list:cmc1's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 +1 more
Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Kashmir442
Regular MemberPosts: 174
Like?
Re: Full Frame NEX When?
In reply to cmc1, Apr 8, 2013

Search back the past few months at Sony Alpha Rumors for the latest. Full-frame NEX seems to be coming in 2014.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Astrophotographer 10
Senior MemberPosts: 4,620Gear list
Like?
In reply to Kashmir442, Apr 8, 2013

Nex 7N would be released before that. And that is not out yet.

Greg.

DUSTY LENS
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,744
Like?

cmc1 wrote:

I keep hearing rumours of a full frame NEX but when is it coming and will it be able to take E mount lens' and how will this affect the crop factor?

Will it be like the Nikon D600 where as you have the FX full frame lens but still able to mount DX cropped lens with the added benefit of speedier FPS?

I am itching for a full frame camera and not sure if I should wait for this possible ff NEX to see if it can make use my E mounts or just go for a Canon or Nikon?

It would be a smart move for Sony to use a newly developed Mount which could easily use adapters for using several other major brand lenses , in addition to accepting an adapter for Sony FF lenses .

This would probably have the additional advantage of expanding demand for the Camera by a very healthy number .

Dusty

Kashmir442
Like?
In reply to Astrophotographer 10, Apr 8, 2013

Astrophotographer 10 wrote:

Nex 7N would be released before that. And that is not out yet.

Greg.

7N was pushed back a couple months according to SAR, but still due in late summer or fall this year it seems. But that's APS-C of course, a totally different question.

Kashmir442
Like?
In reply to DUSTY LENS, Apr 8, 2013

DUSTY LENS wrote:

It would be a smart move for Sony to use a newly developed Mount which could easily use adapters for using several other major brand lenses , in addition to accepting an adapter for Sony FF lenses .

This would probably have the additional advantage of expanding demand for the Camera by a very healthy number .

Dusty

Why can't e-mount do that? It can fit full frame and it has the really short registration distance which make all kinds of adapters possible.

DUSTY LENS
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,744
Like?
In reply to Kashmir442, Apr 8, 2013

Kashmir442 wrote:

DUSTY LENS wrote:

Dusty

Why can't e-mount do that? It can fit full frame and it has the really short registration distance which make all kinds of adapters possible.

e-mount could probably do that , but e-mount is designed for APS-C which is able to accept much shortened mount to sensor distance and it may also be smaller in diameter .

Measurements I do not have . But a new mount could be designed which would allow plenty of room for shortened back focus lenses to accept very wide lenses with short back focus and also leave plenty room to also accept any other brand of lens with the right adapter for the brand .

Strength of the adapter for a solid connection of heavier lenses , and room for the larger sensor size may warrant a new design for the on Camera side of the new FF adapters .

So I doubt that the same APS-C e-mount would be best for a new FF NEX system ..

Beaverhelmet
Contributing MemberPosts: 573Gear list
Like?

There is already a large group of people anticipating a E-mount FF NEX, no need for another mount.

Beaverhelmet's gear list:Beaverhelmet's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha 7R Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F707 +6 more
D Cox
Senior MemberPosts: 7,361
Like?

DUSTY LENS wrote:

Kashmir442 wrote:

DUSTY LENS wrote:

Dusty

e-mount could probably do that , but e-mount is designed for APS-C which is able to accept much shortened mount to sensor distance and it may also be smaller in diameter .

E mount seems to have been designed for FF as well as APS-C.

There is already a FF E mount camera on the market, and it seems to work fine with adapted lenses.

Measurements I do not have . But a new mount could be designed which would allow plenty of room for shortened back focus lenses to accept very wide lenses with short back focus and also leave plenty room to also accept any other brand of lens with the right adapter for the brand .

E mount does all this.

Strength of the adapter for a solid connection of heavier lenses , and room for the larger sensor size may warrant a new design for the on Camera side of the new FF adapters .

If you put a heavy lens on your tripod, the E mount is easily able to support the weight of the camera.

So I doubt that the same APS-C e-mount would be best for a new FF NEX system ..

captura
Forum ProPosts: 13,596Gear list
Like?
Re: The CyberShot forum RX-10 proposal
In reply to D Cox, Apr 8, 2013

(Warning, may be considered off-topic.)

This is interesting, and further illustrates the possibilities open to Sony even with to-day's technology. I think the DPR rules prohibit me from pasting the script here but this is the link:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/50851545

Basically a competitor for the Fuji X100s and the Nikon A, but with an m43 sensor. Small, fixed lens with a teleconverter? Who knows.

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Samsung NX1000 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
Tuloom
Senior MemberPosts: 1,088
Like?
When?
In reply to captura, Apr 8, 2013

NM

pbolli
Junior MemberPosts: 39
Like?

Everything you hear about 'full-frame' e-mount is speculation, gossip and rumour. The only people who can tell you the answer are at Sony and they're not saying. So if you really feel you need 35mm format, go get something that's already out there.

-- hide signature --
captura
Forum ProPosts: 13,596Gear list
Like?

Now they are saying end of the year or 2014.

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Samsung NX1000 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
saintz
Regular MemberPosts: 478
Like?
In reply to pbolli, Apr 8, 2013

First, FF E-Mount is real. You can buy one now:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=892256&Q=&is=REG&A=details

Notice the price. The question is how long until that sensor can be made cheap enough to fit in a $1.5k or under camera. Right now it's only in the RX1, A99, and VG900, basically the high-end/pro line. It's coming, it's a question of when the cost makes sense (and lenses are available).

The VG900 shows the intent to make E-Mount FF lenses. The current Sony lenses (like 18-55) will almost definitely not support FF. So new lenses will be needed. I would expect those are underway (perhaps as Zeiss models) and we will see those released for the VG900 first. Then once cost gets inline, the NEX will be released.

If you want FF now, I would get a Canon 5D or Nikon D700 now and plan to sell when the NEX comes.

rojj
Regular MemberPosts: 220
Like?
In reply to captura, Apr 8, 2013

For what it's worth, a sales rep at a NYC camera shop we all know and love told me later this year for a full frame NEX- possible unveiling at the Photo Expo, end of October at the Javits Center, NYNY.

forpetessake
Senior MemberPosts: 3,474
Like?
In reply to cmc1, Apr 9, 2013

This is how it's going to look

GodSpeaks
Forum ProPosts: 10,190Gear list
Like?
Yeah, right!
In reply to rojj, Apr 9, 2013

SONY are saying maybe by the end of next year.

By the way, have you seen the Frankencamera they are showing?

-- hide signature --

The greatest of mankind's criminals are those who delude themselves into thinking they have done 'the right thing.'
- Rayna Butler

GodSpeaks's gear list:GodSpeaks's gear list
Minolta DiMAGE 7i Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Kodak DCS Pro SLR/n +39 more
John Knuhtsen
Contributing MemberPosts: 596
Like?

cmc1 wrote:

The crop factor will be 1X. APS-C lenses will have have too narrow field of view (they are not intended for a diagonal of 43 mm, as 24x36 has). Or they should have, if they have not been designed with full frame in mind. Since this costs extra effort (and costs) I do not assume that. It is likely that legacy lenses (for full frame) can still be used with new adapters (I assume that there will be space enough, since there are around 20-30 mm with most adapters, except m39).

If the full frame body has e-mount a male-female e-mount-adapter-spacer could also be a solution, so that all old adapters could still be used, but with a spacer between camera and adapter.

No spacer of course if flange to sensor distance can be preserved on full-frame body.

But it  is nice to notice that legacy lenses for 35 mm are still usable. There might be some rather few legacy lenses for halfformat cameras (olympus pen and pentax 110) which are only usable for APS-C.  As well as 4/3 lenses which should be unausable for APS-C, but are used by some anyway.

Just my thoughts, I am hopefully.

DRode
Senior MemberPosts: 2,815
Like?

NT

Beaverhelmet
Contributing MemberPosts: 573Gear list
Like?
In reply to John Knuhtsen, Apr 9, 2013

John Knuhtsen wrote:

If the full frame body has e-mount a male-female e-mount-adapter-spacer could also be a solution, so that all old adapters could still be used, but with a spacer between camera and adapter.

No spacer of course if flange to sensor distance can be preserved on full-frame body.

In my world, the physical lens mount is married to a specific flange to sensor/film distance. You just don't mess with that (without causing a chaos). If and when Sony produce a FF E-mount stills camera, it will have the same flange to sensor distance as present NEX bodies. Anything else would be just bonkers. We will all see in a future not too far away. Meanwhile, I will have lots of fun with my EF to NEX Speed Booster and my EF adapted Zeiss glass.

Beaverhelmet's gear list:Beaverhelmet's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha 7R Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F707 +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads