Fuji HS20

Started Apr 8, 2013 | Discussions
steve263
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Fuji HS20
Apr 8, 2013

I have the HS20 bridge camera and in general it is a good camera. I did have two DSLR Nikons but as I was not using them a lot decided to get a camera that would do the photography I needed without the weight.

Just two problems that perhaps are my fault. It does not take good 'low light' photos no matter what settings I use. I like to take photos of the acts in my club and yes the lighting is poor with different coloured spots etc, but the old Nikon used to take excellent photos. I have tried with and without flash and various settings but I am rarely satisfied.

And the next is the video on the camera. Mine will only take video for 30 seconds and with no sound. I knew someone who had the same camera and his took it with sound and whatever length he needed. Is there a setting somewhere that I have missed?

gloaming
Contributing MemberPosts: 666
Like?
Re: Fuji HS20
In reply to steve263, Apr 8, 2013

It is not a good camera indoors.  Small sensor, noisy, and the lens is slow due to its nature....a super-zoom...of sorts.  You have to use flash or a tripod and metering for indoors shots, or have strong lighting.

My HS20 takes suprisingly decent video, but it does not time-out.  You should be able to fill up your card.  You have a gitch in the programming perhaps? Have you installed the firmware updates?

I am not that savvy about cameras, so hopefully someone else will have something more positive to offer you.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MitchyK7
Regular MemberPosts: 131
Like?
In reply to gloaming, Apr 8, 2013

If your video mode is set to HS for slow motion capture, it limits to 30 sec clips. So make sure it's set to full resolution video in your settings menu.

Ralph McKenzie
Senior MemberPosts: 1,685Gear list
Like?
In reply to steve263, Apr 8, 2013

I have to agree with you Steve. I took my HS20 to a local balloon festival for a spot of "Night Glow  & Concert " shooting at it was a woeful experience. I took about 350 shots of which I have about 50 that after PP may be worth keeping, and absolutely nothing of the balloons being lit up.

To make matters worse I was standing at one point alongside a Galaxy3 phone user that was getting shots that were 10 times better than anything I got. The worst part was the near absolute failure on the camera to focus on anything, no matter what settings were used.

This also worries me as I was intending to buy the HS50, which only has the same 1/2 inch sensor. Although its a new generation sensor I seriously doubt it will be able to do much better.

It once again reminded why I want the Pentax K30.

-- hide signature --

Love dat Fuji
http://akiwiretrospective.wordpress.com/
Fuji HS20EXR
Fuji HS10,
Pentax K1000, Pentax sf7, Pentax zx-50

Ralph McKenzie's gear list:Ralph McKenzie's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR
PAUL TILL
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,210
Like?
In reply to Ralph McKenzie, Apr 8, 2013

Ralph McKenzie wrote:

It once again reminded why I want the Pentax K30.

Go for it, they go for less than the HS50 secondhand.

-- hide signature --

The 10% Rule:
You Must Be 10% Smarter Than The Equipment You're Operating

alexisgreat
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,589Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ralph McKenzie, Apr 8, 2013

Is that the Pentax that takes AA batteries, Ralph? If so count me in lol.

-- hide signature --

http://Alex_the_GREAT.photoshop.com

alexisgreat's gear list:alexisgreat's gear list
Olympus C-7070 Wide Zoom Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Olympus E-520 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 +1 more
Ralph McKenzie
Senior MemberPosts: 1,685Gear list
Like?
In reply to alexisgreat, Apr 9, 2013

Yes it is. You can either have a lithium battery or use the adapter and use AA. A very smart move as far as I'm concerned. Image quality is rated as being even better than the K5.

And Paul's right, If you look around a K30 body ( I already have the lenses) is about the same or less than the HS50 launch price.

-- hide signature --

Love dat Fuji
http://akiwiretrospective.wordpress.com/
Fuji HS20EXR
Fuji HS10,
Pentax K1000, Pentax sf7, Pentax zx-50

Ralph McKenzie's gear list:Ralph McKenzie's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to steve263, Apr 9, 2013
Just two problems that perhaps are my fault. It does not take good 'low light' photos no matter what settings I use.

I have an HS25EXR. I struggled w/low lighting until I started using the Adv setting, which takes several "quick" pictures & puts them together. The pictures still aren't "great", but they're a lot better than anything I was getting otherwise. From what I can tell, the HS20EXR has the same setting; that's just as bad for you?

Of course, our definitions of "low lighting" could be different...

john perry

cantanima's gear list:cantanima's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix 2600 Zoom Fujifilm X10
MitchyK7
Regular MemberPosts: 131
Like?
In reply to cantanima, Apr 9, 2013

The 50 takes better pictures and can focus better in the dark. Haven't taken it to any concerts, but i've not had the focussing issues i had with my 20. Still loved that camera, but it was a chore at times getting focus, and in this respect the 50 is much better. The PDAF obviously was a step in the right direction from Fuji. But if you can get better kit for the same money then why not?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads