Change my sigma 30 2.8 to a 19mm?

Started Apr 8, 2013 | Discussions
Janne303
Regular MemberPosts: 252
Like?
Change my sigma 30 2.8 to a 19mm?
Apr 8, 2013

Is there someone out there who has changed your sigma 30 to an 19mm? I have a 50mm but no wideangle. Is the 19mm something to consider?

uhligfd
Senior MemberPosts: 1,344
Like?
Re: Change my sigma 30 2.8 to a 19mm?
In reply to Janne303, Apr 8, 2013

Yep, one can make a 4 inch nail into a 2 inch one ... by filing away.

What exactly do you mmean by changing one lens into another? Surely one might do so by disassembling, re-grinding the individual pieces of glass inside the lens, changing the lens arrangements and so forth.

But would anyone do so? For you? Are you kidding? Just buy the 200 $ 19 mm lens and enjoy.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
sarit
Regular MemberPosts: 254Gear list
Like?
In reply to uhligfd, Apr 8, 2013

I guess he meant whether he should replace his Sigma 30mm with a 19mm.

sarit's gear list:sarit's gear list
NEX5R Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +4 more
peruchox
Regular MemberPosts: 240Gear list
Like?

I have both. When I go to the beach or know that I want a wide angle shot on the beach, then I take the 19mm.

If I'm going for a walk and go light then I take the 30mm.

When with family and friends I usually take the kit lens as it has OSS and you can zoom.

peruchox's gear list:peruchox's gear list
Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN | Art
captura
Forum ProPosts: 15,684Gear list
Like?
In reply to peruchox, Apr 8, 2013

peruchox wrote:

I have both. When I go to the beach or know that I want a wide angle shot on the beach, then I take the 19mm.

If I'm going for a walk and go light then I take the 30mm.

When with family and friends I usually take the kit lens as it has OSS and you can zoom.

Maybe he wants to know if a Sigma 30 can be modified to become a 19 which of course is impossibe.

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Samsung NX1000 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
joe talks photography
Regular MemberPosts: 247Gear list
Like?

Janne303 wrote:

Is there someone out there who has changed your sigma 30 to an 19mm? I have a 50mm but no wideangle. Is the 19mm something to consider?

if you think the field of view is not wide enough with the 30mm you might consider getting the 19mm. the 19 is not as sharp but is great enough...with wider view. I have both and each has a good use for my style of shooting pics.

-- hide signature --

Joe

davect01
Senior MemberPosts: 4,123
Like?

Janne303 wrote:

I take it you only want one.  Why not both?
The 19mm is great for intimate, party type shots and nice wide shots, whereas the 30mm is more of an everyday lens.

I personally have the 19mm and love it.  Seriously considering the 30mm.  If I do, I will resale one of my manual lenses.  Not one to keep multiple lenses of the aproxiamte length.

-- hide signature --

Novice photobug, proud NEX-3 owner
http://davesnex-3photos.blogspot.com/

captura
Like?
In reply to joe talks photography, Apr 8, 2013

joe talks photography wrote:

Janne303 wrote:

if you think the field of view is not wide enough with the 30mm you might consider getting the 19mm. the 19 is not as sharp but is great enough...with wider view. I have both and each has a good use for my style of shooting pics.

-- hide signature --

Joe

The myth of the 19 mm Sigma being inferior to the 30 is specific to this forum only. I have both models, and I am an early purchaser of the 19. Roger Cicala reviewed these lenses along with the m43 versions and found them all to be remarkably equal in MFT.

Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Samsung NX1000 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
SandyKHo
Senior MemberPosts: 2,505Gear list
Like?
In reply to captura, Apr 8, 2013

captura wrote:

Janne303 wrote:

-- hide signature --

Joe

The myth of the 19 mm Sigma being inferior to the 30 is specific to this forum only. I have both models, and I am an early purchaser of the 19. Roger Cicala reviewed these lenses along with the m43 versions and found them all to be remarkably equal in MFT.

-- hide signature --

I, too, have both the Sigma 19 mm and the 30 mm and I find them to be equally sharp.  If I had to choose one over the other, I would probably choose the 19 mm to cover those occasions where wider angle is necessary.

God gave us an incredible world. See it, hear it, Touch it, taste it, smell it, PHOTOGRAPH IT!

SandyKHo's gear list:SandyKHo's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD780 IS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX50V Canon EOS 60D Sony Alpha NEX-5N Canon EOS 70D +13 more
cptrios
Senior MemberPosts: 1,347
Like?

captura wrote:

Janne303 wrote:

-- hide signature --

Joe

I own both too, and can unequivocally state that the 19 (of which I've owned 3 copies) is inferior to the 30. They might be pretty much the same on m4/3, where the worst part of the 19's image is cropped away, but they're certainly not on the NEX. The 19's center sharpness is as good as the 30's, but it's got noticeably worse CA and substantial field curvature that leads to border softness in most situations.

It's still a great lens for the money, though (the older, cheaper one at least) and is kind of a no-brainer purchase. And if you've got a NEX-7 in particular, the 24mp means you'll need to print really large before the field curvature becomes apparent.

Cailean Gallimore
Senior MemberPosts: 6,082
Like?

They are so cheap that almost anyone could buy both. The 30mm in particular,  is very cheap for what it is. Well done Sigma.

John Knuhtsen
Contributing MemberPosts: 619
Like?

It is so typical behaviour (for the better part of us) on a technical forum like this. An unprecise question and first of all, no supervision for responses to make a dialog. Now 9 hours passed, and 10 confused answers with no correction done on, what was meant. So typical ! (excuse me) that I could laugh.

captura
Like?
In reply to cptrios, Apr 8, 2013

cptrios wrote:

captura wrote:

Janne303 wrote:

-- hide signature --

Joe

I own both too, and can unequivocally state that the 19 (of which I've owned 3 copies) is inferior to the 30. They might be pretty much the same on m4/3, where the worst part of the 19's image is cropped away, but they're certainly not on the NEX. The 19's center sharpness is as good as the 30's, but it's got noticeably worse CA and substantial field curvature that leads to border softness in most situations.

It's still a great lens for the money, though (the older, cheaper one at least) and is kind of a no-brainer purchase. And if you've got a NEX-7 in particular, the 24mp means you'll need to print really large before the field curvature becomes apparent.

That is your subjective opinion, but why did you need three? Was it a bad  ger Cicala said that the 19 and 30 on the NEX-7, tested equally.

captura
Like?

captura wrote:

cptrios wrote:

That is your subjective opinion, but why did you need three? Was it a bad  ger Cicala said that the 19 and 30 on the NEX-7, tested equally.

That is your subjective opinion, but why did you need three 19's? Was it a bad batch, perhaps?  Roger Cicala said that the 19 and 30 on the NEX-7, tested out equally.

captura
Like?
In reply to cptrios, Apr 8, 2013

cptrios wrote:

captura wrote:

Janne303 wrote:

-- hide signature --

Joe

Hi cptrios, here's the comparison:

NEX-7 Lens Imatest Results

Posted by Roger Cicala

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/04/nex-7-lens-imatest-resolution-comparison

MTF 50 at f/2.8
Lens Max Avg

Sony 16mm f/2.8 665 490

Sigma 19mm f/2.8 870 740

Sony-Zeiss 24mm f/2.8 960 735

Sony 18-200 f/4 855 680

Sony 18-55 20 f/4 855 640

Sony 30mm f/3.5 940 725

Sigma 30mm f/2.8 985 805

Sony 50mm f/2.8 806 732

Leica 50mm f/2.8 920 730

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads