Is it just me or is the d800 shutter quieter/smoother after the FW update?

Started Apr 8, 2013 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
cdubman Regular Member • Posts: 383
Is it just me or is the d800 shutter quieter/smoother after the FW update?
1

I've only got good things to say about my D800, and the recent firmware update.

I can't put my finger on it (no pun intended), but it seems like something is different with the shutter action/feel/sound since the FW update. If anything, I like it and certainly enjoying the more accurate focus. Don't even know if it's possible that firmware can affect the shutter...and I did recently get a battery grip so maybe that's making me sense something different.

Just wondering if anybody else is picking up on the same vibe?

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
tiko Regular Member • Posts: 163
Re: Is it just me or is the d800 shutter quieter/smoother after the FW update?

Yes! I too did notice that, not sure if it's quieter but something about the way it sounds/clicks did feel different from what I got used to over the last 10 months. I thought I may be imagining things and hence didn't bother to ask.

-- hide signature --

@AT

 tiko's gear list:tiko's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G +2 more
Reilly Diefenbach
Reilly Diefenbach Veteran Member • Posts: 9,962
Re: Is it just me or is the d800 shutter quieter/smoother after the FW update?

You know, I think you are correct.  There was a ringing clang that now seems to be gone, as well as a bit lower decibel count overall.  Nice!

Lihkin
Lihkin Senior Member • Posts: 2,374
Re: Is it just me or is the d800 shutter quieter/smoother after the FW update?

I thought the exact same thing, but was wondering if it was my imagination. The shutter definitely sounds different than before.

Cheers,

-- hide signature --
 Lihkin's gear list:Lihkin's gear list
Nikon D800E
rgolub
rgolub Senior Member • Posts: 2,061
Re: Is it just me or is the d800 shutter quieter/smoother after the FW update?
5

Can I have some of what you guys have been smoking?

Sounds exactly the same to me.

And no, I'm not going to revert the firmware and check.  That's way too nit picky in this case.  But if it makes you happy, fine.

If this keeps up, Nikon is going to get the idea to have weekly firmware updates.  Just look at the tenor of the posts since the updates have come out.  Thread after thread of positive feelings, warmth and good cheer - decidedly different from the previous rending of garments and gnashing of teeth posts.

Best of all it's free!

-- hide signature --

RG
www.lostrange.com

 rgolub's gear list:rgolub's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +12 more
digital ed
digital ed Veteran Member • Posts: 3,463
Re: Is it just me or is the d800 shutter quieter/smoother after the FW update?
6

rgolub wrote:

Can I have some of what you guys have been smoking?

Sounds exactly the same to me.

And no, I'm not going to revert the firmware and check.  That's way too nit picky in this case.  But if it makes you happy, fine.

If this keeps up, Nikon is going to get the idea to have weekly firmware updates.  Just look at the tenor of the posts since the updates have come out.  Thread after thread of positive feelings, warmth and good cheer - decidedly different from the previous rending of garments and gnashing of teeth posts.

Best of all it's free!

-- hide signature --

RG
www.lostrange.com

Completely unnecessary comments and very condescending  Just because you cannot hear a difference does not mean there is no difference. Another example of lack of respect on this forum.

 digital ed's gear list:digital ed's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +14 more
AZBlue
AZBlue Contributing Member • Posts: 866
Re: Is it just me or is the d800 shutter quieter/smoother after the FW update?

It sounds snappier.

-- hide signature --

"I've been in more laps than a napkin" - Mae West

 AZBlue's gear list:AZBlue's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM +1 more
Hibiki Rush Regular Member • Posts: 320
Re: Is it just me or is the d800 shutter quieter/smoother after the FW update?
4

I think my resolution doubled to 72 megapixels after the FW update! I can't tell for sure but I have a feeling...  I will post some snapshots of my crumb-faced toddler later on and you guys can tell me if I'm right.

ChipTz
ChipTz Forum Member • Posts: 54
Re: Is it just me or is the d800 shutter quieter/smoother after the FW update?

Exactly same sound....

-- hide signature --

Have no fear, Chip is here!

 ChipTz's gear list:ChipTz's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +4 more
Astrophotographer 10 Senior Member • Posts: 6,685
Re: Is it just me or is the d800 shutter quieter/smoother after the FW update?

I used mine on the weekend. I can't say I noticed a difference but then I wasn't paying that much attention to the shutter sound. I'll check it out. Thanks for the post.

Greg.

 Astrophotographer 10's gear list:Astrophotographer 10's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 +4 more
stany buyle Senior Member • Posts: 1,957
My D800e sounds like Mozart now...
3

Can't stop listening to the heavens click my D800e produces since the FU, it sounds like Mozart now... Thank you Nikon.

Kindest regards.
Stany Buyle
http://www.nikonuser.info/fotoforum

 stany buyle's gear list:stany buyle's gear list
Nikon D1
bgbs Veteran Member • Posts: 3,114
Re: Is it just me or is the d800 shutter quieter/smoother after the FW update?

not everyone has the ear to hear and discern sound decibles

bgbs Veteran Member • Posts: 3,114
Re: Is it just me or is the d800 shutter quieter/smoother after the FW update?

From now on all Nikon has to do, if there is any major complaints with the camera, is quickly release a placebo firmware.

reginalddwight Senior Member • Posts: 2,003
Re: Is it just me or is the d800 shutter quieter/smoother after the FW update?

cdubman wrote:

I've only got good things to say about my D800, and the recent firmware update.

I can't put my finger on it (no pun intended), but it seems like something is different with the shutter action/feel/sound since the FW update. If anything, I like it and certainly enjoying the more accurate focus. Don't even know if it's possible that firmware can affect the shutter...and I did recently get a battery grip so maybe that's making me sense something different.

Just wondering if anybody else is picking up on the same vibe?

No difference here.

You have superb hearing?

M Lammerse
M Lammerse Forum Pro • Posts: 11,272
Re: My D800e sounds like Mozart now...
3

stany buyle wrote:

Can't stop listening to the heavens click my D800e produces since the FU, it sounds like Mozart now... Thank you Nikon.

Kindest regards.
Stany Buyle
http://www.nikonuser.info/fotoforum

Well, I do feel it sounds more like opening a bottle of Grolsch

Michel

-- hide signature --

- To observe without evaluation is the highest form of human intelligence -
http://www.fotopropaganda.com
http://www.fotopropaganda.com/blog
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9240992@N05

M Lammerse
M Lammerse Forum Pro • Posts: 11,272
Re: Is it just me or is the d800 shutter quieter/smoother after the FW update?
2

Hi Reginald,

Actually I have (really)

And I do not hear a difference either. I do see some better tracking though, which sounds great

Michel

reginalddwight wrote:

cdubman wrote:

I've only got good things to say about my D800, and the recent firmware update.

I can't put my finger on it (no pun intended), but it seems like something is different with the shutter action/feel/sound since the FW update. If anything, I like it and certainly enjoying the more accurate focus. Don't even know if it's possible that firmware can affect the shutter...and I did recently get a battery grip so maybe that's making me sense something different.

Just wondering if anybody else is picking up on the same vibe?

No difference here.

You have superb hearing?

-- hide signature --

- To observe without evaluation is the highest form of human intelligence -
http://www.fotopropaganda.com
http://www.fotopropaganda.com/blog
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9240992@N05

reginalddwight Senior Member • Posts: 2,003
Re: Is it just me or is the d800 shutter quieter/smoother after the FW update?
1

Greetings Michel,

Exquisite hearing is both a blessing and a curse.

Cheers,

Reginald

M Lammerse wrote:

Hi Reginald,

Actually I have (really)

And I do not hear a difference either. I do see some better tracking though, which sounds great

Michel

reginalddwight wrote:

cdubman wrote:

I've only got good things to say about my D800, and the recent firmware update.

I can't put my finger on it (no pun intended), but it seems like something is different with the shutter action/feel/sound since the FW update. If anything, I like it and certainly enjoying the more accurate focus. Don't even know if it's possible that firmware can affect the shutter...and I did recently get a battery grip so maybe that's making me sense something different.

Just wondering if anybody else is picking up on the same vibe?

No difference here.

You have superb hearing?

-- hide signature --

- To observe without evaluation is the highest form of human intelligence -
http://www.fotopropaganda.com
http://www.fotopropaganda.com/blog
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9240992@N05

Dennishh Contributing Member • Posts: 545
Re: Is it just me or is the d800 shutter quieter/smoother after the FW update?

I think it's faster 0-60 also.

 Dennishh's gear list:Dennishh's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Sony Alpha 7R II Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS +2 more
reginalddwight Senior Member • Posts: 2,003
Re: Is it just me or is the d800 shutter quieter/smoother after the FW update?

LOL

sssesq Senior Member • Posts: 1,669
Re: Is it just me or is the d800 shutter quieter/smoother after the FW update?

Ya know, I was thinking that the shutter was a bit quieter and smoother - the release didn't seem to have the crisp fire that it did before.  An analogy is a bit like a target rifle's adjustable trigger, the sear and backlash controls how much and the quality of the firing.  (many years ago I did long distance shooting - both rifle (7MM Rem. Mag and occasional .223). It seems to have lost some crispness, and perhaps quieter, although I'm not a good one for that given my hearing loss - lots of guns, 3.5' rocket launchers, etc.

 sssesq's gear list:sssesq's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D5 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads