Very curious about the successor to SX50HS (SX60HS?)

Started Apr 7, 2013 | Discussions
Byrna
Junior MemberPosts: 39Gear list
Like?
Very curious about the successor to SX50HS (SX60HS?)
Apr 7, 2013

I was checking Canon's new cameras and noticed that their newest Powershots, the SX 270 and 280 have a new DIGIC 6 processor AND can finally do 1920x1080 video at 60fps progressive! Until now, the best that Canon could do was 24 or 30p! So I'm very excited that the next superzoom, probably the SX 60HS will also have 60p full HD video! My parents have the SX40HS which I was very impressed with. I own the Sony HX100V and Sony still insists on being idiotic in its design and just simply jacks up the pixels without making the most needed improvements like a fully articulated LCD screen which Canon has had for years already!

So I might be selling my HX100V for the new SX60HS if it has the features I think (hope) it will have.  It looks like, though, that the successor to the 50HS won't come out until September 2013 because the 50 came out in Sept 2012.  But maybe we'll be lucky and get the 60 sooner, like in June, in time for the summer holiday season.

Just thought I'd share this with everyone. The reason I am so excited is because, in 2011, I tried two different small sensor 1/2.3" cameras, returned them, before finally getting the Sony. But I was very impressed with the image quality of the little ol' Canon SX230IS, but returned it due to choppy video at 24p.  Now, with 60p and a fully articulated LCD panel, and other features like a variable white balance, the new Canon should be the best small sensor super zoom yet.  Unless of course, Panasonic's successor to the FZ200 also has some amazing advancements.

Let's cross our fingers, those of us waiting to buy but who are not in a big rush.

John

Byrna's gear list:Byrna's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ4 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX100V
DonA2
Senior MemberPosts: 2,145Gear list
Like?
Re: Very curious about the successor to SX50HS (SX60HS?)
In reply to Byrna, Apr 8, 2013

I too would like to see what Canon does with the SX60hs, however don't expect much.  Perhaps improved video and Digic 6 but not much else.  After all the 50 is still a big seller with that impressive zoom range.  Canon tends to give a little, take a little, so what will it be?

I have the SX40hs so the 60 would have to blow my socks off.  Won't likely happen but it's anyone's guess.  With a cruise coming up in September it would be nice if it was announced very soon but again, won't likely happen until the day I ship out.

-- hide signature --

Don V. Armitage

DonA2's gear list:DonA2's gear list
Canon PowerShot S2 IS Canon PowerShot SX10 IS Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tocar
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,182
Like?
In reply to Byrna, Apr 10, 2013

I have the SX40IS and just bought the SX50HS due to it's RAW feature.  The SX40IS is an awesome camera.  BestBuy just dropped the price of the SX50HS to $389 from $429 and wondered if the new model is coming out soon or are they just price matching Amazon's price.  Even Costco doesn't sell the SX50HS anymore so I believe the next model is on it's way.

Marek 379abicki
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
In reply to tocar, Apr 12, 2013

I hope that the EVF will be better. At least, such in the Fuji HS50EXR (0.26")

tocar
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,182
Like?
In reply to Marek 379abicki, Apr 12, 2013

The new Fujifilm bridge camera should give the SX50HS a run for the money.  I like the manual zooming feature and supposedly a faster focusing sensor but it's only 42x which isn't much different from my SX40IS

Radbul
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
In reply to Byrna, Apr 24, 2013
Hello all, In Canon SX50 successor (Canon SX60) a must be in my opinion: )Panasonic Lumix FZ200's EVF has a much higher 1.3 million dot resolution- EVF resolution doubled vs SX50 (at least 400,000pixels resolution or better i.e.:  - Recording Full HD with 30fps(finally as 23.9fps now is too stuttery and years behind competition ), 720p with 60fps. (and super speed mode 640x420@120fps, 320x200@300fps would be nice as well but not essential) - Make it faster: at least 2fps with AF(also increase to 4fps with AF/AE lock) It would be really good to have(if not in SX60 then definitively as must be in it's successor Canon SX70 model): - Faster AF with more AF points. - Manual focus ring (like in Fujifilem HS50EXR again nice DSLR feel) - Manual zoom (apart from automatic as an option i.e.: Fujifilem HS50EXR nice DSLR feel) - SD card UHS I standard support.(or maybe even UHS II)
- USB 3.0 support. - Screen 3" with 1,040,000 resolution. - ISO 50-12800 also better in low light (maybe time to use bigger sensor? like 1/8" or 1/1.7") - Optical zoom x60  20mm-1200mm or 22mm-1320mm or 24mm-1440mm Not neccesary but would be nice: - More efficient/more voluminous battery or maybe better 4xAA(as it used to be in SX1 and earlier SX20) - Battery charging through USB 3.0. - Record RAW video in stereo. Canon could actually develop (along SX60) a more "posh" hybrid model SX2 (similar to SX1 few years ago) more expensive but with more options and better materials used.  - price - it can be the same or even more expensive than SX50(but no more than 50%) - - weight, it can be heavier than SX50(but no more than 30%) - dimensions, it can be larger than SX50(but no more than 30%) - resolution, no need to rise above 12.1megapixels (4000x3000) yet but don't downgrade either. I do not care so much about: - Hot shue. - RAW/RAW+JPEG/HDR mode. - amazing articulated vari-angle screen Please do keep at all costs: - Bring back: filters fit 58mm possibility (like in: SX40, SX1, SI5 and earlier models - not documented by Canon but all 58mm filters could be mounted without buying any adaptors) - Flash range 6m or more. - Better weather sealing. - Better panorama/360 degree stitch mode. - Remote control (like in SX1) - Printed user guide. - 2x SD card slots (mode to record movie on one and save photos on other, mirror mode etc.) - GPS chip. - SD card slots accessible while on tripod. All the best
Hossam Saad ElDin Abd Alhalim Farg
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,219Gear list
Like?
In reply to Radbul, Apr 24, 2013

Hi Radbul , are you Salesman for Panasonic or what ??

-- hide signature --

Hossam
[Kodak DX7590] {Broken}
[Canon SX50HS]

Hossam Saad ElDin Abd Alhalim Farg's gear list:Hossam Saad ElDin Abd Alhalim Farg's gear list
Kodak DX7590 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS
Radbul
Like?
In reply to Hossam Saad ElDin Abd Alhalim Farg, Apr 24, 2013

No. Why? I just gave an example of better solutions in other brands. i.e.: much better Electronic viewfinder in Panasonic, manual zoom&focus solutions in Fuji, recording frame rate in Sony...etc. to give potential reader better perspective.

Radbul
Like?

No. Why? I just gave an example of better solutions in other brands. i.e.: much better Electronic viewfinder in Panasonic, manual zoom&focus solutions in Fuji, recording frame rate in Sony...etc. to give potential reader better perspective.

Actually my list was somehow distorted by dpreview..hmm it should look like:

Must be in my opinion: )Panasonic Lumix FZ200's EVF has a much higher 1.3 million dot resolution- EVF resolution doubled vs SX50 (at least 400,000pixels resolution or better i.e.:  - Recording Full HD with 30fps(finally), 720p with 60fps, and super speed mode 640x420@100fps, 320x200@300fps - Make it faster: at least 2fps with AF(also increase to 4fps with AF/AE lock) It would be really good to have(if not in SX60 then definitively as must be in SX70 model): - Faster AF with more AF points. - Manual focus ring (like in Fujifilem HS50EXR again nice DSLR feel) - Manual zoom (apart from automatic as an option i.e.: Fujifilem HS50EXR nice DSLR feel) - SD card UHS I standard support.(or maybe even UHS II)
- USB 3.0 support. - Screen 3" with 1,040,000 resolution. - ISO 50-12800 also better in low light (maybe time to use bigger sensor? like 1/1.7") - Optical zoom x60  20mm-1200mm or 22mm-1320mm or 24mm-1440mm Not neccesary but would be nice: - More efficient/volume battery or maybe better 4xAA(as it used to be in SX1 and earlier) - Battery charging through USB 3.0. - Record RAW video in stereo. - price - it can be the same or even more expensive than SX50(but no more than 50%) - weight, it can be heavier than SX50(but no more than 30%) - dimensions, it can be larger than SX50(but no more than 20%) - resolution, no need to rise above 12.1megapixels (4000x3000) yet but don't downgrade either. I do not care so much about: - Hot shue. - RAW/RAW+JPEG mode. - amazing articulated screen Please do keep at all costs: - Bring back: filters fit 58mm (like SX40, SX1, SI5 and earlier models - never documented by Canon but it worked) - Flash range 6m or more. - Better weather sealing. - Mic input. - Better panorama/360 degree stitch mode. - Remote control (like in SX1) - Printed user guide. - 2x SD card slots (mode to record movie on one and save photos on other, mirror mode etc.) - GPS chip. - SD card slots accessible while on tripod.
Hossam Saad ElDin Abd Alhalim Farg
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,219Gear list
Like?

yep I got it, but also SX50 have a bunch of great things too, and if you can read the comments from owners of SX50, all theme love it a lot.

Have a nice day, take care.

-- hide signature --

Hossam
[Kodak DX7590] {Broken}
[Canon SX50HS]

Hossam Saad ElDin Abd Alhalim Farg's gear list:Hossam Saad ElDin Abd Alhalim Farg's gear list
Kodak DX7590 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS
Radbul
Like?

Again it distorted my post:( but I hope you get an idea what I expect of successors of Canon SX50HS.

Best regards

Radbul
Like?

I am the happy owner of SX50 and I also like it a lot, but I do not see any revelance to the topic what you would see in it's successor.

Best regards

Thalarctos
New MemberPosts: 23Gear list
Like?
In reply to Byrna, Apr 24, 2013

A few years ago I went from the SX30 to the Sony HX100. I just sold my HX100 to buy a SX50.  I was getting frustrated by the lack of support for external flash.  The only up side to the HX100 for me was the scene mode for low-light shooting, but Canon added that scene mode.  So far I'm very happy to be back with Canon.

Thalarctos's gear list:Thalarctos's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon D5100
Norman B
Regular MemberPosts: 300
Like?

Radbul wrote:

Hello all, In Canon SX50 successor (Canon SX60) a must be in my opinion: )Panasonic Lumix FZ200's EVF has a much higher 1.3 million dot resolution- EVF resolution doubled vs SX50 (at least 400,000pixels resolution or better i.e.:  - Recording Full HD with 30fps(finally as 23.9fps now is too stuttery and years behind competition ), 720p with 60fps. (and super speed mode 640x420@120fps, 320x200@300fps would be nice as well but not essential) - Make it faster: at least 2fps with AF(also increase to 4fps with AF/AE lock) It would be really good to have(if not in SX60 then definitively as must be in it's successor Canon SX70 model): - Faster AF with more AF points. - Manual focus ring (like in Fujifilem HS50EXR again nice DSLR feel) - Manual zoom (apart from automatic as an option i.e.: Fujifilem HS50EXR nice DSLR feel) - SD card UHS I standard support.(or maybe even UHS II)
- USB 3.0 support. - Screen 3" with 1,040,000 resolution. - ISO 50-12800 also better in low light (maybe time to use bigger sensor? like 1/8" or 1/1.7") - Optical zoom x60  20mm-1200mm or 22mm-1320mm or 24mm-1440mm Not neccesary but would be nice: - More efficient/more voluminous battery or maybe better 4xAA(as it used to be in SX1 and earlier SX20) - Battery charging through USB 3.0. - Record RAW video in stereo. Canon could actually develop (along SX60) a more "posh" hybrid model SX2 (similar to SX1 few years ago) more expensive but with more options and better materials used.  - price - it can be the same or even more expensive than SX50(but no more than 50%) - - weight, it can be heavier than SX50(but no more than 30%) - dimensions, it can be larger than SX50(but no more than 30%) - resolution, no need to rise above 12.1megapixels (4000x3000) yet but don't downgrade either. I do not care so much about: - Hot shue. - RAW/RAW+JPEG/HDR mode. - amazing articulated vari-angle screen Please do keep at all costs: - Bring back: filters fit 58mm possibility (like in: SX40, SX1, SI5 and earlier models - not documented by Canon but all 58mm filters could be mounted without buying any adaptors) - Flash range 6m or more. - Better weather sealing. - Better panorama/360 degree stitch mode. - Remote control (like in SX1) - Printed user guide. - 2x SD card slots (mode to record movie on one and save photos on other, mirror mode etc.) - GPS chip. - SD card slots accessible while on tripod. All the best

I don't have a problem with what you would like to see in the SX60 (?) Keep in mind the cost will no doubt increase.

Comparing the FZ200 to the SX50 is not entirely equal when a person considers the difference in cost. I believe the FZ200 is approximatley 200.00 more.  I would expect more if I were paying an additional $200.00 but that is subjective. To each their own.

Also, Not everybody buying an SX50 is going to have Lightroom or PS. The software that Canon provides seems to be a step ahead of the software provided with the FZ200 IMO. This area is covered in DPR's review of both cameras.

Edit, I do not own an SX50 or the FZ200 but I think both are very fine cameras. It's like the old Ford/Chev arguement. Some like Fords, Some like Chevs, Some like Canon, Some like Panasonic or whatever other manufacturer.

j2l3m7
Senior MemberPosts: 3,669Gear list
Like?
In reply to Thalarctos, Apr 24, 2013

Welcome back, enjoy what is an exceptional camera.

-- hide signature --

Thanks for posting, have a great day.
John

j2l3m7's gear list:j2l3m7's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Canon PowerShot SX60 HS Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +17 more
Francesco81
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
In reply to j2l3m7, May 31, 2013

I also think a good improvement could be the ergonomic and the size of the camera, it's all ugly and unconfortable plastic, it would be much better if they could adjust the grip with rubber rather than plastic and a slightly increase of the size. Different brands like Fujifilm camera of the same range are much better in terms of feeling holding the camera compared with canon's superzoom ones.

threed123
Contributing MemberPosts: 945
Like?
In reply to Francesco81, May 31, 2013

A faster lens, better EVF, better video--I think that's what you all are asking for. I vote for a bigger sensor and less noise...but Canon has to make sure their DSLRs still sell, so don't be surprised if the SX high zoom series always stays a little behind and remains a bridge camera. And just think..what if they put a 75x zoom in this thing with an even better IS--Yeah, now we dreammmmm.

wacka2007
Regular MemberPosts: 331
Like?
In reply to threed123, May 31, 2013

threed123 wrote:

A faster lens, better EVF, better video--I think that's what you all are asking for. I vote for a bigger sensor and less noise...but Canon has to make sure their DSLRs still sell, so don't be surprised if the SX high zoom series always stays a little behind and remains a bridge camera. And just think..what if they put a 75x zoom in this thing with an even better IS--Yeah, now we dreammmmm.

faster lens , better evf , lose the stupid ISO restrictions and min shutter speed , job done.

Augustin Man
Senior MemberPosts: 4,072Gear list
Like?
In reply to wacka2007, Jun 1, 2013

wacka2007 wrote:

threed123 wrote:

faster lens , better evf , lose the stupid ISO restrictions and min shutter speed , job done.

You're right. Fortunately the ISO and minimum speed restrictions were solved by CHDK

All the best,

Augustin

Augustin Man's gear list:Augustin Man's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon Coolpix P600
Darkdac
Junior MemberPosts: 39Gear list
Like?
In reply to Augustin Man, Jun 6, 2013

Don`t dream too much! Canon SX60 HS will have the same 50x zoom, same LCD and EVF; only improuvement will be Digic 6 with the capability of movie 1080 60i (I don`t think they will upgrade to 60p)

The lens is the same for 2 generation...so no improvement as I said before and the fact it will be ready in september is a major draw-back because all of us want a new camera in summer.......in september all the vacantion are over. That`s why a lot of people buy others bridges camera because they want la last model on marke for vacantion. In summer, SX50 HS or SX60 HS are allready old cameras. I think the marketing director on Canon...is a little old for this times and he must be replaced by a smarter guy wich see better the needs of clients

Darkdac's gear list:Darkdac's gear list
Canon PowerShot A510 Canon PowerShot S5 IS Canon PowerShot SX210 IS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX50V +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads