New to Fuji, not sure about the X20

Started Apr 7, 2013 | Discussions
wymjym
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,270Gear list
Like?
Re: New to Fuji, not sure about the X20
In reply to DebraR, Apr 8, 2013

Hi,

have you considered the V1....it has replaced my X10 and when the 24-135 lens becomes a reality I'll be quite satisfied...

wj

-- hide signature --

nikonfujicanonandricoh

wymjym's gear list:wymjym's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
coaltrain
Regular MemberPosts: 230Gear list
Like?
In reply to wymjym, Apr 8, 2013

wymjym wrote:

Hi,

have you considered the V1....it has replaced my X10 and when the 24-135 lens becomes a reality I'll be quite satisfied...

wj

-- hide signature --

nikonfujicanonandricoh

Like the OP, we are hopefully trying to find a fixed lens camera to avert the common LBA. I actually tried the Pentax Q against my better judgement (interchangeable lens camera) and thought I would just have one lens for it. Well.....that went out the window quickly when I had to try the other lenses available.

-- hide signature --

~Stan~

coaltrain's gear list:coaltrain's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc DA 10-17mm F3.5-4.5 ED (IF) Fisheye Pentax smc DA 12-24mm F4.0 ED AL (IF) +7 more
wymjym
Like?
In reply to coaltrain, Apr 8, 2013

I do understand, really........... but given that <10 days ago the V1-two lens kit- could be purchased for 399usd and I saw the new 10-100 for 399 as well...my thinking was one could sell off the two lens that came with kit for ~200usd and have a total of 600 in a V1 with 10-100 (27-270). Never to buy other lenses for it and since the OP is a nikon owner...maybe get the FT1 someday, that allows the use of the nikon glass she currently owns.

The focus speed is good, the shot to shot time is good, the buffer is great, the 30-110 lens would make a great concert lens especially since the lcd can be turned off....and if the kits lenses were sold I think the over 27~270 range would fill most needs.

I know that if the proposed 24-135 was currently available I wouldn't be looking at any other semi-P&S cameras.

wj

-- hide signature --

nikonfujicanonandricoh

DebraR
Contributing MemberPosts: 858
Like?
In reply to wymjym, Apr 8, 2013

wj,

Where did you see the kit at that price?  Can't seem to find anything close.  Couldn't quite understand what you would sell and what lens would be the one that stayed on the camera.  Curious but still leaning towards a fixed lens truly pocketable camera when I dont want the weight of the D700.

wymjym wrote:

I do understand, really........... but given that <10 days ago the V1-two lens kit- could be purchased for 399usd and I saw the new 10-100 for 399 as well...my thinking was one could sell off the two lens that came with kit for ~200usd and have a total of 600 in a V1 with 10-100 (27-270). Never to buy other lenses for it and since the OP is a nikon owner...maybe get the FT1 someday, that allows the use of the nikon glass she currently owns.

The focus speed is good, the shot to shot time is good, the buffer is great, the 30-110 lens would make a great concert lens especially since the lcd can be turned off....and if the kits lenses were sold I think the over 27~270 range would fill most needs.

I know that if the proposed 24-135 was currently available I wouldn't be looking at any other semi-P&S cameras.

wj

-- hide signature --

nikonfujicanonandricoh

-- hide signature --

Debra
Nikon D700, D300, Hexar AF, D70, N90 Oly C-5050 and an UZI!

wymjym
Like?
In reply to DebraR, Apr 8, 2013

I bought the super discount V1@ xmas time and paid 329+139, the  the price dropped even lower after Xmas. Several days before Easter I saw the 2 lens (10-30/30-110) V1 kit for sale on B&H for 399. I was suggesting that you sell both of those lenses (ebay?) for @200 and then purchase the new-smaller 10-100...which was just 399, once again just before Easter at B&H. Pretend it is a fixed lens 27-270 and be happy.

wj

-- hide signature --

nikonfujicanonandricoh

Rip777s
New MemberPosts: 6Gear list
Like?
In reply to DebraR, Apr 12, 2013

DebraR wrote:

Long story short, I haven't been happy with the x20 so far.  I find that when I shot with jpg's, even with adjusted sharpness and noise reduction, I ended up with so much sharpening, the results looked fake.  The color is amazing, I LOVE how silent the camera is, but the subject looks awful.  A lot of artifacts, a plastic kind of result.  For me, unusable for simple snapshots.

I switched to raw and didn't get a lot of difference in regards to the "fake-ness" of the results.  I simply imported to Lightroom with default import dialog and am not thrilled.

Hi DebraR,

I got the X10 a year ago and love it.  I moved to the X-E1 and the X10 went to my girl friend.

It's hard from your description to tell exactly what your problem you are having.  What are your settings?  If you have DR set to high, that can way over due it in many cases.  Does auto DR or DR100 make a difference? Do you have an example?

Rip777s's gear list:Rip777s's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon Df Fujifilm X-T1 +2 more
Photofreak7
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,703
Like?
Re: You'll love the JPGs from the old X100
In reply to AdamT, Apr 12, 2013

AdamT wrote:

You`ll love the JPGs from the old X100, they`re loaded with detail and colour is still lovely, they got everything just right - whereas they totally messed up the X20 and X100S having loaded them with large radius sharpening and even worse, very heavy Noise reduction even at base ISO . for some reason, Fuii seem hellbent on negating the lack of AA filter as much as possible with these cams (I`ve not seen any JPGs from the X series mirrorless cams which match the old X100 either) ..

-- hide signature --

** Please ignore the Typos, I'm the world's worst Typist **

For a larger sensored cam I don't doubt the X100 has decent jpgs but for a more fair comparison to the X20 the X10 prob has the best jpgs of any Fuji (or at least the ones I've owned) ... F200EXR and F40fd were decent at lower ISOs but handicapped in other areas.

-- hide signature --

Don't feed or mess with the crazy person ... just take a photo and walk away ... just walk away man!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads