Jupiter 50mm f2 adapter

Started Apr 7, 2013 | Discussions
Thoughtless
Junior MemberPosts: 26
Like?
Jupiter 50mm f2 adapter
Apr 7, 2013

I posted a question earlier but forgot to upload a photo, it was just to find out what adapter I need to get to mount this old Jupiter 8 50mm f2 lens I got at a boot sale onto my Nex 5.

Its from a contax range finder, so I'm confused as to what adapter to buy for it?
Any other info on the lens would be much appreciated as well.

Thanks, (apologies for the repost)

Letsgokoulos
Senior MemberPosts: 1,439
Like?
Re: Jupiter 50mm f2 adapter
In reply to Thoughtless, Apr 7, 2013

Thoughtless wrote:

I posted a question earlier but forgot to upload a photo, it was just to find out what adapter I need to get to mount this old Jupiter 8 50mm f2 lens I got at a boot sale onto my Nex 5.

Its from a contax range finder, so I'm confused as to what adapter to buy for it?
Any other info on the lens would be much appreciated as well.

Thanks, (apologies for the repost)

I think you should post a picture of the mount, that may help identifying it...

Marc

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
zygh
Senior MemberPosts: 1,798Gear list
Like?
Amedeo Muscelli makes one!
In reply to Thoughtless, Apr 7, 2013

I have an adapter from a very talented artisan, Amedeo Muscelli. It fits all my Contax/Kiev mount lenses, however, the only one that will not fit due to the protruding back element is the Jupiter-12 2.8/35.

You can see more info about the adapter here for the micro four thirds mount: M4/3 adapter ; the NEX adapter looks more or less the same. It is made from a solid chunk of brass, nicely crafted and with a good heft.

Look for him on ebay and ask whether he still makes them. Amedeo may take an order for you; he is very helpful and nice to talk to. Cannot recommend his work enough, the adapter just oozes quality and precision.

His website is amedeo.muscelli.net . Good luck!

zygh's gear list:zygh's gear list
Nikon D40 NEX5R Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +2 more
Thoughtless
Like?
In reply to Letsgokoulos, Apr 7, 2013

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jupiter-8M-2-50mm-lens-Bayonet-mount-Contax-RF-/111047526060?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item19daf2c6ac

I haven't got my camera near but found this exact lens on ebay with photos of the mount. Only difference is the serial: mine is 7775925. The ebay one is 7656043. (don't know if that makes a difference or not.)

thanks

Tckay
Regular MemberPosts: 433
Like?
In reply to Thoughtless, Apr 8, 2013

I think Jupiter 8 lenses are M39 mount so M39 to NEX adapter should do the trick.

captura
Forum ProPosts: 14,585Gear list
Like?
In reply to Tckay, Apr 8, 2013

Tckay wrote:

I think Jupiter 8 lenses are M39 mount so M39 to NEX adapter should do the trick.

I was going to say the same thing.

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Samsung NX1000 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
Jokica
Contributing MemberPosts: 605Gear list
Like?

I saw lot of incorrect information in some posts above, as well in the link in one post. I will skip them and get to the problem.

My advice is to forget this lens in Contax / Kiev mount.

But if you insist in that mount, you have two option:

- to buy highly expensive adapter

- to make it you self

Instead, I recommend you to buy the same lens in M39 mount. I have this adapter , Jupiter 8 works perfectly on my 5n.

Jokica's gear list:Jokica's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N
Thoughtless
Like?
In reply to Jokica, Apr 8, 2013

I'll take your advice thanks and forget about the Contax mount Jupiter.

I'm looking at a M39 screw mount J8, so might give that a go with the NEX adapter, I've heard that some J8's with screw mounts differ in focusing distance

Letsgokoulos
Like?

Thoughtless wrote:

I'll take your advice thanks and forget about the Contax mount Jupiter.

I'm looking at a M39 screw mount J8, so might give that a go with the NEX adapter, I've heard that some J8's with screw mounts differ in focusing distance

I have a Jupiter 11 135mm f4 in Kiev mount, and purchased a Nikon(S)-NEX adapter from Fotodiox, see this link. I can well imagine that some Jupiter 8 could be produced in this mount too.

I strongly advise you provide us with a picture of YOUR lens, so we can compare with existing mounts and advise you.

Marc

Jokica
Like?
In reply to Letsgokoulos, Apr 8, 2013

Letsgokoulos wrote:

I have a Jupiter 11 135mm f4 in Kiev mount, and purchased a Nikon(S)-NEX adapter from Fotodiox, see this link. I can well imagine that some Jupiter 8 could be produced in this mount too.

I strongly advise you provide us with a picture of YOUR lens, so we can compare with existing mounts and advise you.

Marc

Dear Marc,

I have same adapter for my Contax / Kiev silver Jupiter 9.

Please note that there was two versions of Contax / Kiev mount:

1. Under 50mm - witch is very difficult to adapt on NEX

2. Above 50mm - witch is easily adapt with adapter you have linked.

You had no problem, since Jupiter 11 is 135mm. (My J-9 is 85mm)

But for 50mm J-8 it is whole different story. You should forget it in Contax / Kiev mount, and buy it in M39 mount.

Sony Alpha NEX-5N
blakninja
Regular MemberPosts: 129
Like?

OT: Is Helios better than Jupiter? (generally speaking)

Jokica
Like?
In reply to blakninja, Apr 8, 2013

blakninja wrote:

OT: Is Helios better than Jupiter? (generally speaking)

Helios better than Jupiter??

Speaking of brands, or some particular lenses?

Sony Alpha NEX-5N
Letsgokoulos
Like?

Jokica wrote:

Dear Marc,

I have same adapter for my Contax / Kiev silver Jupiter 9.

Please note that there was two versions of Contax / Kiev mount:

1. Under 50mm - witch is very difficult to adapt on NEX

2. Above 50mm - witch is easily adapt with adapter you have linked.

You had no problem, since Jupiter 11 is 135mm. (My J-9 is 85mm)

But for 50mm J-8 it is whole different story. You should forget it in Contax / Kiev mount, and buy it in M39 mount.

Jokica,

Thank you for your explanations.

Anyway, I just shot some pictures of the Kiev mount on my Jupiter 11 and of the Fotodiox Nikon(S)-NEX adapter, so I may as well post them should they ever help anyone in the future:

Kiev mount on Jupiter 11 135mm f4

Kiev mount on Jupiter 11 135mm f4 and Fotodiox Nikon(S)-NEX adapter

I personnally have no intention to purchase a Jupiter 8, by the way !

Marc

John Knuhtsen
Contributing MemberPosts: 603
Like?

The ebay link has some pictures of the mount. It is Contax RF and certainly not M39.

You have to buy a contax RF Nex adapter. This is one of the cheapest:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Contax-RF-lens-2-Sony-NEX-3-NEX-5-NEX-C3-NEX-5N-NEX-7-NEX-VG10-adapter-/320820097197?pt=US_Lens_Adapters_Mounts_Tubes&hash=item4ab25e30ad

Jokica
Like?
In reply to Letsgokoulos, Apr 8, 2013

Marc

Why not, Marc? It is cheap as cheeps. You will never win any sharpness contest with it, but you can get nice vintage look on pictures. I hope you will change your mind and try it.

Here is my younger daughter, making funny faces. She is holding Kiev with Jupiter-8M, while picture is taken with M39 J-8, aperture between 2.8-4.0

Sony Alpha NEX-5N
Alex Armani
Regular MemberPosts: 112Gear list
Like?
In reply to Thoughtless, Apr 9, 2013

Jupiter 8, and Helios-103 and many lenses for Kiev have same Contax RF, Nikon RF mount, and best adapter for this Kipon.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kipon-Advanced-adapter-for-Contax-RF-Rangefinder-mount-lens-to-Sony-NEX-camera-/121001040192?pt=US_Lens_Adapters_Mounts_Tubes&hash=item1c2c395940

For myself I made the adapter, and there is a some sempeles

Alex Armani's gear list:Alex Armani's gear list
Leica D-LUX 4 Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony Alpha NEX-7 Canon EOS 5D Mark III +1 more
Thoughtless
Like?
In reply to Alex Armani, Apr 9, 2013

I've seen a few people make their own adapter for the Contax/Kiev mount 8's from the Kiev body if I'm not mistaken.

I think my Contax mount J8 will have to stay in the drawer for the foreseeable future as the appropriate adapter is just unjustifiably expensive, its not worth it just to have a couple of average sharpness vintage looking shots. I'll have to keep looking for a LTM Jupiter or Industar.

kuuan
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,420Gear list
Like?
In reply to Thoughtless, Apr 9, 2013

Thoughtless wrote:

I've seen a few people make their own adapter for the Contax/Kiev mount 8's from the Kiev body if I'm not mistaken.

right!

it's not all that difficult to do, taking off the mount from a broken Kiev camera and connecting it with a short NEX adapter, in my case a 'faulty' Pen-F > NEX adapter

my 5N with a CZ 1.5/50 in Contax RF mount:

if I'd use it regularly I'd cut off that superfluous metal around the mount, looks kind of cool though

in case of the J-8 I'd also strongly recommend to get the LTM version and use a regular, cheap M39>NEX adapter.

-- hide signature --

photos mostly taken with manual lenses on Sony NEX5N, Pentax K-x and *istDs: http://flickr.com/photos/kuuan/

kuuan's gear list:kuuan's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Konica Minolta DiMAGE A2 Pentax *ist DS Ricoh GXR Mount A12 Sony Alpha NEX-5N
Letsgokoulos
Like?
In reply to Jokica, Apr 9, 2013

Jokica wrote:

Marc

Why not, Marc? It is cheap as cheeps. You will never win any sharpness contest with it, but you can get nice vintage look on pictures. I hope you will change your mind and try it.

Here is my younger daughter, making funny faces. She is holding Kiev with Jupiter-8M, while picture is taken with M39 J-8, aperture between 2.8-4.0

Jokica, it certainly seems to be a fine lens, but I already own enough 50mm at the moment. I know the Jupiter 50mm f2 is nice, but I have faster and better 50s that I use regularly.

This is a very nice picture of your daughter, by the way !

Marc

Thoughtless
Like?
In reply to kuuan, Apr 9, 2013

kuuan wrote:

Thoughtless wrote:

right!

it's not all that difficult to do, taking off the mount from a broken Kiev camera and connecting it with a short NEX adapter, in my case a 'faulty' Pen-F > NEX adapter

my 5N with a CZ 1.5/50 in Contax RF mount:

if I'd use it regularly I'd cut off that superfluous metal around the mount, looks kind of cool though

in case of the J-8 I'd also strongly recommend to get the LTM version and use a regular, cheap M39>NEX adapter.

-- hide signature --

photos mostly taken with manual lenses on Sony NEX5N, Pentax K-x and *istDs: http://flickr.com/photos/kuuan/

It certainly is cheaper than buying one on eBay! If the right Kiev body shows up I'll give it a try, it may have to be an already broken one as I don't think I could rip apart a working one!

Did you have to get a specific Kiev body to get the mount off? It looks like it was relatively easy to unscrew it away, I'm guessing you take off the outer plate to get to the lens mount screws?

The Zeiss looks great on the camera, even more interesting with the metal offshoots.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads