D7100 'streaking'

Started Apr 7, 2013 | Discussions
Nukunukoo
Regular MemberPosts: 353Gear list
Like?
Re: D7100 'streaking', after additional tests
In reply to Jussi Mattila, Apr 14, 2013

Hi!

I tried to replicate the problem with my new D7100 but I still can't get the results you have. But my best guess is that it's sensor-related. Considering that how the scanning goes from left-to-right, it could be dark area banding noise. With the contrasty stripes from the left is artifacting the darker right.

What I plan to do is create an image file with black horizontal strips on white and do a full screen view on my 26" monitor, turn the lights off and have the other half showing a white wall...

Hopefully I'll be reunited with my D7100 in ten days... still on a holiday!

Liz.

Nukunukoo's gear list:Nukunukoo's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Nikon D300S Nikon D800E Nikon D7100 Sigma 50-150mm F2.8 EX DC APO OS HSM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mosswings
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,828Gear list
Like?
In reply to mehigh, Apr 14, 2013

Jussi, thanks for your work.  The portrait orientation photos are interesting.  If you look closely at the bottom of the window frame, you will see reddish streaking parallel to the long edge of the frame. This makes sense because it reveals the sensor's architecture.  The banding noise in the shadows also has the same alignment. However, why is that big ol' green streak in the supposedly dark far right region of the image even there?  I hate to say it, but something seems fishy. It might be prudent to inquire with Nikon Service or your vendor.

I'd also add that all sensors are susceptible to this, but that some designs are less so. As you can see from Horshack's test shots, the Sony EXMOR sensor design appears pretty robust.

We're getting near the end of this thread, but the investigation has just started, I'm afraid. Streaking, part II, at your computer monitors soon.

mosswings's gear list:mosswings's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +1 more
rhlpetrus
Forum ProPosts: 22,972Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jack Hogan, Apr 14, 2013

Jack Hogan wrote:

Jussi Mattila wrote:

In summary, I don't think it will affect me, but I still don't have to like it. I have the NEFs if someone wants to take a look at them. I will also contact my seller and show the results, they will hopefully take the information to Nikon.

Thanks to everyone for such a lively discussion on the issue, it has been an interesting read!

Thanks Jussi, well done.  I would be interested in playing with the NEFs if possible.

Jack

It looks like a sensor issue, since 90 degree rotation makes problems become vertical. Some saturation/offset/reset issue at work imo.

-- hide signature --

Renato.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhlpedrosa/
OnExposure member
http://www.onexposure.net/
Good shooting and good luck
(after Ed Murrow)

rhlpetrus's gear list:rhlpetrus's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +3 more
Wael
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Re: D7100 'streaking'
In reply to Jussi Mattila, Aug 13, 2013

Hi Jussi,

I know it is a bit late to reply, but after experiencing the same issue as you. I am wondering what conclusion you came up to. My brand new D7100 shows those streaks especially between ISO 400-650, but less so at 800. It is only clear in dark areas.

I contacted Nikon support, but they advised me to take it to the service center for an inspection. Naturally I am reluctant to have anyone touch my new camera especially that a friend had his flash shoe broken while they were fixing the electronics.

At some point I looked at the sensor and noticed that same pattern on the sensor, but I looked at it another time and it was not there... weird. This bothers me a lot especially that my previous D60 did not have this. In fact generally speaking it took better pictures in low light.

Thanks

W

mfortini
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
In reply to Wael, Aug 23, 2013

I just bought a D7100 and apparently I'm having the same issue.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52027784

The image linked was shot in portrait mode, that's why the lines are vertical. They are horizontal in landscape orientation.

Do I need to send it to service for repair?

Eric Glam
Forum MemberPosts: 58Gear list
Like?
In reply to mfortini, 9 months ago

This is an interesting issue, which none of the reviewing sites (including DPreview) brought up.

I wonder if this is a Sony or Toshiba sensor. I've read some posts suggesting that Nikon are using a Toshiba sensor instead of their usual Sony, inside the D7100.

Can any knowledgeable fellow here confirm which sensor it is?

Eric Glam's gear list:Eric Glam's gear list
Canon EOS 500D Sony Alpha NEX-5 Nikon D5300
mosswings
Like?
In reply to Eric Glam, 9 months ago

It's a Toshiba, Eric. It's one of the reasons why the wolves of the various fora have been howling. I would note, however, that I've yet to see evidence of any of the infirmities in many thousands of images with the d7100. But I'm not partial to performing the photographic feats of strength that many d7000 users love to do. This is also the reason you don't read much about these phenomena in commercial reviews.

That being said, the d7000's Sony sensor is more robust than the d7100's at the extremes, and I suspect that the next generations of Nikon sensors will once again be by Sony.

Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +1 more
RudyPohl
Senior MemberPosts: 2,931
Like?
In reply to mosswings, 9 months ago

mosswings wrote:

It's a Toshiba, Eric. It's one of the reasons why the wolves of the various fora have been howling. I would note, however, that I've yet to see evidence of any of the infirmities in many thousands of images with the d7100. But I'm not partial to performing the photographic feats of strength that many d7000 users love to do. This is also the reason you don't read much about these phenomena in commercial reviews.

That being said, the d7000's Sony sensor is more robust than the d7100's at the extremes, and I suspect that the next generations of Nikon sensors will once again be by Sony.

I encountered my first "streaking" or "banding" as it is called about a month ago. It was during trying to recover shadow details in the blacks of a brilliantly Wood Duck image taken in full sunshine.

As you may know, a Wood Duck is the ultimate test of dynamic range for any wildlife camera because it has a lot of very fine feathers that are pure white and it has a lot of fine feathers that are pure black thus the DR covers the full gamut. To expose for these ducks in full sun requires a huge -EV exposure compensation to retain the details in the highlights resulting in un avoidable major underexposure of the blacks. It was during attempting to recover some shadow detail in this image that I finally, after 7 months of use, saw my first and only banding instance with my D7100 (23,000 shutter clicks). This was not such a big deal for me because I had previously pped a few dozen Wood Duck images with encountering no banding/streaking at all.

In other words, the conditions have to be very extreme indeed for this to become an issue withe D7100, and even when it did appear, a few judicious brush strokes in Photoshop fixed the problem in a jiffy.

Cheers,

Rudy

GaborF
Regular MemberPosts: 252
Like?
In reply to RudyPohl, 9 months ago

I encountered such streaking 2x only while shooting - and these appeared only after postprocessing, with high ISO, no denoise, and contrast pushed to maximum with brightness increased a lot. Such artifacts appeared. It was on the borderline of black or dark blue, when contrast pushed up.

These happened on my first weeks use of the camera, first instance was an indoors shot as well.

I nearly took the camera back to Nikon. But then kept to it. Since then I have not noticed anything similar. I've put my mind to ease that it might have been a "warmup" for the sensor - these don't appear for me since then, even though I have shot a lot more with the camera.

mosswings
Like?
In reply to RudyPohl, 9 months ago

Rudy, wasn't what you encountered the really high frequency deep shadow stuff? That's banding. The bright feature initiated deep shadow variations, a form of sensor "blooming", the forum is calling streaking. Whatever, the takeaway is either phenomenon is quite rare and generally hard to observe.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads