G5 curiosity has gotten the better of me....

Started Apr 7, 2013 | Discussions
jalywol
jalywol MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,093Gear list
Like?
G5 curiosity has gotten the better of me....
Apr 7, 2013

Someone posted this week about a good deal on the G5 two lens kit, and I have been hemming and hawing about getting a second body, so I thought I would go for it.  It was a very good deal, and it has a 30 day return policy, so I thought I would give it a shot.  I'll update when it comes later this week with my impressions.....

Oh, in case you were interested, it's at HSN, $599 for the body, 14-42mm and 45-150mm, case and memory.

-J

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
FrankS009
Senior MemberPosts: 2,223Gear list
Like?
Re: G5 curiosity has gotten the better of me....
In reply to jalywol, Apr 7, 2013

Will look forward to your impressions of both the camera and the 45-140 lens..

F.

FrankS009's gear list:FrankS009's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Sabatia
Regular MemberPosts: 438
Like?

Great buy. I too have been thinking of getting a G5, primarily becauseF/E lock on the G3 drives me crazy and also looks to be more ergonomic and slightly better image quality. I've also wanted the 45-150 for backpacking. Now you've got my desire process moving into high gear.

Randell Tober
Regular MemberPosts: 136Gear list
Like?

Congrats! I look forward to seeing your thoughts/review. You are such an "Asset" to the forum. I'm thrilled with mine thus far, even though I have just barely gotten to know it. It's rejuvenated my interest in photography. Have a great sunday

Randell Tober's gear list:Randell Tober's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD4000 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5
Trevor Carpenter
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,369
Like?

Welcome to the club, you may find it a fun experience

-- hide signature --
jalywol
jalywol MOD
Like?
In reply to Randell Tober, Apr 7, 2013

Randell Tober wrote:

Congrats! I look forward to seeing your thoughts/review. You are such an "Asset" to the forum. I'm thrilled with mine thus far, even though I have just barely gotten to know it. It's rejuvenated my interest in photography. Have a great sunday

Well, thank you!!

I really loved my GH2, but got a great price for it after I got the GH3, so I let it go to a new home.  I'm hoping the G5 will be an excellent second body for me; smaller than the GH2 was and with slightly better IQ....we shall see!

-J

jalywol
jalywol MOD
Like?
In reply to Trevor Carpenter, Apr 7, 2013

Trevor Carpenter wrote:

Well, I really loved my GH2, so I am hoping this will be an improved, small, version of it.  (I was hoping they would have put the G5/GH2 sensor in the GF6, but they did not, so this seemed like the best option for the second body for me).  I'm looking forward to it!

-J

Grimm
Forum MemberPosts: 71Gear list
Like?

Could've saved another $10 at Costco

Grimm's gear list:Grimm's gear list
Canon PowerShot A20 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS
Setter Dog
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,777
Like?

I agree you are a great asset to the forum. Some time ago you gave me step by step instructions on how to use my GF3,.....it went from a mystery to a fun camera. Thanks again for the help.

About the G5, I have two of them and think they are really, really fine cameras. I prefer the G5 to the GH2 that I used to have. With the 45-150mm lens, it makes quite a potent and versatile package,, very light and easy to manage. I keep the 100-300mm on the second body and think it's about the most fun I ever had with a camera. My kit lens went on the GF3 and makes it even more enjoyable than it was with the 14mm.

For me at least, Panasonic is the way to go with m43.

Jack

Sunny Caribe
Contributing MemberPosts: 511
Like?

I think you're going to love it.  Coming from the GH2, I picked up the G5/2lens kit from B&H a few weeks ago.  So far I am very pleased with the camera and the 45-150 lens.  The 14-42 kit lens isn't as smooth as I would like, but optically it seems ok.

-- hide signature --

Rick
Cornmeal, gunpowder, hamhocks, guitar strings.

jalywol
jalywol MOD
Like?
In reply to Grimm, Apr 7, 2013

Grimm wrote:

Could've saved another $10 at Costco

Not when you don't have one near you and you aren't a member   ...besides, I got an extra $20 off with a coupon, so it really was a good deal...

-J

shihhan
Regular MemberPosts: 307
Like?

Great buy!

micksh6
Senior MemberPosts: 2,551Gear list
Like?
In reply to jalywol, Apr 8, 2013

jalywol wrote:

Trevor Carpenter wrote:

Well, I really loved my GH2, so I am hoping this will be an improved, small, version of it.  (I was hoping they would have put the G5/GH2 sensor in the GF6, but they did not, so this seemed like the best option for the second body for me).

Best option if you disregard Olympus, that is. See, if you decide to stick with Panasonic and want the best m4/3 sensor you have to buy a huge Hulk's camera, which GH3 is, Panasonic won't give you any other option.

G5 may be a good enough camera but it's still DSLR-sized camera, Panasonic won't let you to have the same image quality in GF form factor. If you though about freedom of choice - forget about it, you chose your brand.

I am a happy owner of E-PL5 and I don't even know what to think about people seriously considering GF6 with image quality similar to GX1 but without hot shoe and for a price similar to E-PL5.

I'm looking forward to it!

I'm not:) But I'm sure you will enjoy it and you will be able to take great photos with it. Human's ability to adapt to various constraints can make wonders.

micksh6's gear list:micksh6's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +6 more
Aleo Veuliah
Forum ProPosts: 14,476Gear list
Like?

Great Kit price. And the G5 is a good companion to the GH3.

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.
Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit.
If plan A doesn't work, the alphabet has 25 more letters, keep calm.
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.
Aleo Photo Site

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +5 more
captura
Forum ProPosts: 14,020Gear list
Like?
Re: Remenber, the G6 is being announced in a couple of days.
In reply to Aleo Veuliah, Apr 8, 2013

nil

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Samsung NX1000 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
jalywol
jalywol MOD
Like?
In reply to micksh6, Apr 8, 2013

micksh6 wrote:

jalywol wrote:

Trevor Carpenter wrote:

Well, I really loved my GH2, so I am hoping this will be an improved, small, version of it.  (I was hoping they would have put the G5/GH2 sensor in the GF6, but they did not, so this seemed like the best option for the second body for me).

Best option if you disregard Olympus, that is. See, if you decide to stick with Panasonic and want the best m4/3 sensor you have to buy a huge Hulk's camera, which GH3 is, Panasonic won't give you any other option.

G5 may be a good enough camera but it's still DSLR-sized camera, Panasonic won't let you to have the same image quality in GF form factor. If you though about freedom of choice - forget about it, you chose your brand.

I am a happy owner of E-PL5 and I don't even know what to think about people seriously considering GF6 with image quality similar to GX1 but without hot shoe and for a price similar to E-PL5.

I'm not:) But I'm sure you will enjoy it and you will be able to take great photos with it. Human's ability to adapt to various constraints can make wonders.

Tried the EPL5.....could not see the LCD (too small for my presbyopic eyesight),  found the grip uncomfortable, and kept hitting the mode dial inadvertently. Plus, since I need an EVF, I prefer to have one attached to the camera, since it takes up less space that way than an add-on (when you leave it on all the time).  It just wasn't the right camera for me, so I sent it back.  G5, by the way, is NOT a big camera..it's not a heck of a lot different in size than the EPL1, although it has a better grip. (The GH3 isn't gigantic either, by the way, but it's not diminutive.  It's not the Hulk's camera...not by a LONG shot.)

I am glad you are happy with your EPL5, but honestly, it's not the right camera for everyone, especially if you prefer a decent sized LCD.  I'm just glad that there are two companies and lots of choices now in the format, so a lot of people can be happy with their options.

-J

jalywol
jalywol MOD
Like?
Re: Remenber, the G6 is being announced in a couple of days.
In reply to captura, Apr 8, 2013

Well, apparently not til the end of April...and you know the price of it at start will be 799ish plus another 199 for the 45-150mm....so, instead, for $600 I get a good second body now, and the two lenses and a nice camera bag...and come out $400 ahead.  If I want to get a G6 when the pricing comes down around Christmas, then I can sell the G5 body if I wish, and probably get around $300 for it, which means I will lose very little on the deal if I go that way. Or, if they release a GX2 with a built in EVF, I could consider that...Or, if I decide I like the G5 enough to not want to upgrade for a while, then I come out even further ahead.

Not a bad set of options for a nice second body!

-J

adrianf2
Forum MemberPosts: 55
Like?

micksh6 wrote:

jalywol wrote:

Trevor Carpenter wrote:

If you'd seen or held a G5 you would know that it is not a 'DSLR sized camera' and it certainly doesn't have DSLR sized lenses.

It's also far better ergonomically than the OMD, and Panasonic don't charge you an outrageous price for the grip!

The OMD is form over function IMHO and not a patch on the G5 to actually use.

Your assessment of the GH3 is also wide of the mark, and comes from a position of ignorance as well.

micksh6
Senior MemberPosts: 2,551Gear list
Like?

jalywol wrote:

micksh6 wrote:

jalywol wrote:

Trevor Carpenter wrote:

Tried the EPL5.....could not see the LCD (too small for my presbyopic eyesight),  found the grip uncomfortable, and kept hitting the mode dial inadvertently. Plus, since I need an EVF, I prefer to have one attached to the camera, since it takes up less space that way than an add-on (when you leave it on all the time).  It just wasn't the right camera for me, so I sent it back.  G5, by the way, is NOT a big camera..it's not a heck of a lot different in size than the EPL1, although it has a better grip. (The GH3 isn't gigantic either, by the way, but it's not diminutive.  It's not the Hulk's camera...not by a LONG shot.)

I am glad you are happy with your EPL5, but honestly, it's not the right camera for everyone, especially if you prefer a decent sized LCD.  I'm just glad that there are two companies and lots of choices now in the format, so a lot of people can be happy with their options.

-J

There isn't much disagreement between us.
I'm not trying to advocate E-PL5 but I think it's not appropriate to judge its ergonomics without optional $19 large grip. Sure, Olympus should have shipped camera with that grip by default and they didn't, but still, $19 is not a fortune.
And I agree that E-PL5 display resolution and dimensions can be limiting, but still, its LCD is a bit better visible in a bright sunlight than latest m4/3 2:3 OLED displays, it's an important factor for a person who doesn't use EVF, like me.

My comment was mostly about your hope to have GF6 with better sensor. If you require EVF you wouldn't be able to use it with GF6 anyway. But you were still hoping GF6 would have better sensor and it didn't happen, right? I think it's for the reasons I mentioned in previous post. That's mostly why I popped up.

You'll get G5 as a second body, so you'll basically be carrying two DSLR-shaped cameras without DSLR guts. While both G5 and GH3 may not be large enough to be qualified as Hulk's cameras they are still not nearly jacket-pocketable as GF6 or E-PL5 may be with pancake lens.

It's no biggie, though. My post isn't going to make as big influence as two DSLRs in your bag would do to your neck. If you can handle this weight you are certainly a guy big enough to not take my post seriously.
Just kidding:) Happy shooting!

micksh6's gear list:micksh6's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +6 more
jalywol
jalywol MOD
Like?

micksh6 wrote:

There isn't much disagreement between us.
I'm not trying to advocate E-PL5 but I think it's not appropriate to judge its ergonomics without optional $19 large grip. Sure, Olympus should have shipped camera with that grip by default and they didn't, but still, $19 is not a fortune.
And I agree that E-PL5 display resolution and dimensions can be limiting, but still, its LCD is a bit better visible in a bright sunlight than latest m4/3 2:3 OLED displays, it's an important factor for a person who doesn't use EVF, like me.

My comment was mostly about your hope to have GF6 with better sensor. If you require EVF you wouldn't be able to use it with GF6 anyway. But you were still hoping GF6 would have better sensor and it didn't happen, right? I think it's for the reasons I mentioned in previous post. That's mostly why I popped up.

You'll get G5 as a second body, so you'll basically be carrying two DSLR-shaped cameras without DSLR guts. While both G5 and GH3 may not be large enough to be qualified as Hulk's cameras they are still not nearly jacket-pocketable as GF6 or E-PL5 may be with pancake lens.

Well, the G5 will fit into a jacket pocket with a pancake (given that I have put the GH2 into one, I can say that it is possible   ).  I had a GF3 which I really loved, by the way, but I needed an EVF, and the 12MP sensor was just not doing it for me...so I hoped they would update the GF6 with an EVF port and the G5 sensor...that would have been a great option.  However, it was not to be...

It's no biggie, though. My post isn't going to make as big influence as two DSLRs in your bag would do to your neck. If you can handle this weight you are certainly a guy big enough to not take my post seriously.

In case you were unaware, I am most definitely not a guy big enough to not take your post seriously.....but that's because I am not a guy   Of course, that also gives me the decided advantage of having a handbag to put the camera in if I need to in a pinch...so ultimate pocketability is not necessary for me, as a result.....

-J

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads