Having an issue with my new D7100

Started Apr 7, 2013 | Discussions
Rhinofly
New MemberPosts: 10
Like?
Having an issue with my new D7100
Apr 7, 2013

I really like this camera and it seems to work great with all my lenses except one, my 80-200 2.8 af-d. With this lens I am getting significant backfocus. Even with the lens fine tune set to -20 it is still backfocusing about 2cm and I cannot get anything at small f number in sharp focus.

If I use this lens on my D5100 and manual focus (using focus indicator dot) I can get nice sharp pictures.

The fine tune corrections on my other lenses are

18-55 DX VR : +1

35 1.8 DX : 0

12-24 DX : -8

There is no obvious systematic back focus in general, just a really terrible one with the 80-200. Any ideas on how to go about fixing this? Could it be the lens and not the camera?

Thanks!

Nikon D5100 Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
scokill
Senior MemberPosts: 1,470Gear list
Like?
Re: Having an issue with my new D7100
In reply to Rhinofly, Apr 7, 2013

Rhinofly wrote:

I really like this camera and it seems to work great with all my lenses except one, my 80-200 2.8 af-d. With this lens I am getting significant backfocus. Even with the lens fine tune set to -20 it is still backfocusing about 2cm and I cannot get anything at small f number in sharp focus.

If I use this lens on my D5100 and manual focus (using focus indicator dot) I can get nice sharp pictures.

There is no obvious systematic back focus in general, just a really terrible one with the 80-200. Any ideas on how to go about fixing this? Could it be the lens and not the camera?

Thanks!

Doesn't seem to be an "issue" with your camera but rather your lens/camera combination.  How do you really determine +1 on the 18-55 dx?

scokill's gear list:scokill's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
BlueBomberTurbo
Contributing MemberPosts: 704Gear list
Like?
In reply to scokill, Apr 7, 2013

Remember, you can also adjust the body independently of the lens adjustment.  So you can go beyond -20, though you'd have to compensate any other lens you've already calibrated.

BlueBomberTurbo's gear list:BlueBomberTurbo's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +8 more
Rhinofly
New MemberPosts: 10
Like?
In reply to BlueBomberTurbo, Apr 7, 2013

BlueBomberTurbo wrote:

Remember, you can also adjust the body independently of the lens adjustment.  So you can go beyond -20, though you'd have to compensate any other lens you've already calibrated.

I did not know this. How does one do this?

Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD
Forum ProPosts: 15,051
Like?
not true
In reply to BlueBomberTurbo, Apr 7, 2013

BlueBomberTurbo wrote:

Not really true. If the lens has a fine tune setting, it overrides the global setting. The two are never cumulative.  Been tested.

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

sshoihet
Senior MemberPosts: 2,225Gear list
Like?
Re: not true
In reply to Mako2011, Apr 8, 2013

Mako2011 wrote:

BlueBomberTurbo wrote:

Not really true. If the lens has a fine tune setting, it overrides the global setting. The two are never cumulative.  Been tested.

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

Yes but i believe it was shown that the global adjustment allows for more compensation ie - 20 global is a greater distance than - 20 for an individual lens,  so it is actually helpful as long as you don't need to correct more than one lens this way.

sshoihet's gear list:sshoihet's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Nikon D7000 Canon EOS M Nikon D600 Nikon D7100 +14 more
Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD
Forum ProPosts: 15,051
Like?
Re: not true
In reply to sshoihet, Apr 8, 2013

sshoihet wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

BlueBomberTurbo wrote:

-- hide signature --

Yes but i believe it was shown that the global adjustment allows for more compensation ie - 20 global is a greater distance than - 20 for an individual lens,

Haven't seen that shown anywhere when tested with same lens.

-- hide signature --

krikman
Regular MemberPosts: 292
Like?
In reply to Rhinofly, Apr 8, 2013

Rhinofly wrote:

Thanks!

Did you test 80-200 AF-D on 200 mm?

This lens have correct AF on 200 mm only at 30+ meters distance.

At closer distances it have strong backfocus.

So please fine tune AF at 100 mm focal distance and don't even try to shoot closer objects at around 200 mm.

Lens is fine at 10+ meters and excellent at 50+ meters (all at f/2,8 200 mm )

That was issued by Nikon somewhere as property of lens design.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads