Kiteboard images with 6D

Started Apr 7, 2013 | Discussions
leroyvanhee
Senior MemberPosts: 1,810
Like?
Kiteboard images with 6D
Apr 7, 2013

Canon EOS 6D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Imaginik
Regular MemberPosts: 248Gear list
Like?
Re: Kiteboard images with 6D
In reply to leroyvanhee, Apr 7, 2013

I really like the first image. Out of curiosity, how many OOF shots did you have while shooting these with the 6D?

Thanks for sharing your pictures!

Nik

-- hide signature --

I'm here to learn

Imaginik's gear list:Imaginik's gear list
Canon PowerShot S70 Canon EOS 550D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ASR45
Forum ProPosts: 32,266Gear list
Like?

Nice action shots  

-- hide signature --

Alan.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
Mark Twain

ASR45's gear list:ASR45's gear list
Canon PowerShot G16 Canon PowerShot G12 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-5 II +8 more
j2l3m7
Senior MemberPosts: 3,491Gear list
Like?

You did a great job taking the photos

-- hide signature --

Thanks for posting, have a great day.
John

j2l3m7's gear list:j2l3m7's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +17 more
leroyvanhee
Like?
In reply to Imaginik, Apr 7, 2013

I don't remember many being out-of-focus, maybe 1 in 5. The camera does pretty well when the subject is clearly distinguished from the background (bird against the sky). Where it seems to have trouble is when the surroundings are confussing (bird in a bush). This is probably true of any AF.

Ultradan
Regular MemberPosts: 186
Like?

leroyvanhee wrote:

I don't remember many being out-of-focus, maybe 1 in 5. The camera does pretty well when the subject is clearly distinguished from the background (bird against the sky). Where it seems to have trouble is when the surroundings are confussing (bird in a bush). This is probably true of any AF.

Is it me or are the first two out of focus - on the rider anyway? (which I presume is what you would want in focus)

The third one looks ok but I'm not sure even that one is locked on?

Ultradan
Like?
In reply to Ultradan, Apr 7, 2013

Ultradan wrote:

leroyvanhee wrote:

Is it me or are the first two out of focus - on the rider anyway? (which I presume is what you would want in focus)

Also what lens are you using out of interest? the EF 400mm L?

leroyvanhee
Like?
In reply to Ultradan, Apr 7, 2013

Yes, the lens is 100 - 400 L. I've noticed that the first focus of a series can be off. So I usually take several in a row. I don't know if the camera refocuses under continuous drive, so I push the shutter button each time. The AF seems to be more accurate if it doesn't change much.

Spad16
Contributing MemberPosts: 832Gear list
Like?

Yes, that is true of any autofocus, and I think the 6D is probably better than most. in finding the subject against a difficult background.. Nice photos.

/Neil

Spad16's gear list:Spad16's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/4L IS USM
Johnyguy
Regular MemberPosts: 192
Like?

leroyvanhee wrote:

Yes, the lens is 100 - 400 L. I've noticed that the first focus of a series can be off. So I usually take several in a row. I don't know if the camera refocuses under continuous drive, so I push the shutter button each time. The AF seems to be more accurate if it doesn't change much.

ofcourse its refocus or lock on focus in continuous drive otherwise what would be the point having  8 fps continuous shoting on some cameras or 4.5 on the 6d

usedtobedontrustme
Regular MemberPosts: 458
Like?
In reply to Johnyguy, Apr 7, 2013

If you have the camera focus set to AI Servo, you shouldn't have to push the shutter button repeatedly to refocus. It will keep focus on the original subject even if it is moving fast. If you use "Back button focus" good constant focus is just about guaranteed.

-- hide signature --

Some of my pics are in my DPReview Gallery
dt

Johnyguy
Regular MemberPosts: 192
Like?
In reply to usedtobedontrustme, Apr 7, 2013

usedtobedontrustme wrote:

If you have the camera focus set to AI Servo, you shouldn't have to push the shutter button repeatedly to refocus. It will keep focus on the original subject even if it is moving fast. If you use "Back button focus" good constant focus is just about guaranteed.

-- hide signature --

Some of my pics are in my DPReview Gallery
dt

Thank you ,that is what i tryed  to explain.

Ultradan
Like?
In reply to Johnyguy, Apr 8, 2013

I also own the 100-400 L, it is a very slow lens for focusing I find and I use a 1DMKII.

Learnphotography
Forum MemberPosts: 56
Like?
In reply to leroyvanhee, Apr 8, 2013

leroyvanhee wrote:

Tracking sensitivity in custom menu is the answer. put to -1 or -2.

MisterBG
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,195
Like?
In reply to Ultradan, Apr 8, 2013

Ultradan wrote:

leroyvanhee wrote:

I'd agree, on the first one the focus point looks like the wake about 2-3 metres behind the skier, although there is also motion blur.

-- hide signature --

>The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.

leroyvanhee
Like?
In reply to Ultradan, Apr 8, 2013

Ultradan wrote:

leroyvanhee wrote:

Sorry, I mis-read you comment the first time around. I think the focus is off on the first image (bird in a bush). It seems to be on the water closer to the camera. I disagree that the second shot is off (bird in the sky). Here's a couple of 1:1 crops that make it clearer. Both images have 0 sharpening and 0 noise reduction.

Bird in a bush

Bird in the sky

FranKois
Junior MemberPosts: 36Gear list
Like?
In reply to usedtobedontrustme, Apr 22, 2013
No text.
 FranKois's gear list:FranKois's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +1 more
MrScorpio
Senior MemberPosts: 1,351Gear list
Like?
In reply to leroyvanhee, Apr 24, 2013

Good shots. My favorite is no 3. Nice to see acceptable sharpness with the 6D AF!

-- hide signature --
 MrScorpio's gear list:MrScorpio's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 +20 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads