feeding of Eagles from our front garden

Started Apr 7, 2013 | Discussions
exRhodesian
Regular MemberPosts: 294
Like?
feeding of Eagles from our front garden
Apr 7, 2013

These are taken using the old 80-400mm lens on the D800 at 1100asa f8 and using a Manfrotto monopod with the pistol grip head.

I've considered getting the new 80-400mm lens but checking the detail on the cropped image, would there be any reason in getting the new lens as the details appear to be fine & sharp ?

Thanks,

Adrian

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Tyr-Sog
Contributing MemberPosts: 523Gear list
Like?
Re: feeding of Eagles from our front garden
In reply to exRhodesian, Apr 7, 2013

I'm curious, why the nails in the wood?

Tyr-Sog's gear list:Tyr-Sog's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
trend1
Contributing MemberPosts: 967
Like?
In reply to Tyr-Sog, Apr 7, 2013

Tyr-Sog wrote:

I'm curious, why the nails in the wood?

Looks dangerous!

AZBlue
Contributing MemberPosts: 865Gear list
Like?
In reply to Tyr-Sog, Apr 7, 2013

Ditto, why the nails? That would appear to be dangerous to the eagle.

-- hide signature --

"I've been in more laps than a napkin" - Mae West

AZBlue's gear list:AZBlue's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM +1 more
iwannabesedated
Senior MemberPosts: 1,008Gear list
Like?
In reply to AZBlue, Apr 7, 2013

AZBlue wrote:

Ditto, why the nails? That would appear to be dangerous to the eagle.

-- hide signature --

"I've been in more laps than a napkin" - Mae West

Maybe that's the point. I've heard they taste like chicken. -iwbs

iwannabesedated's gear list:iwannabesedated's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D800E Nikon D810 Sony RX100 II Nikon D200 +2 more
exRhodesian
Like?
In reply to iwannabesedated, Apr 7, 2013

Hi,

We have a tree directly above the stand at the edge of the cliff where they usually perch on waiting for meal time. The nails were put on to hold large chunks of meat in place to prevent the eagles from flying off with the meat.  There's a fence-gate next to the stand where they usually land onto first then virtually step onto the stand,

We also have Fish Eagles nesting below us on the cliff here in Durban      - they have the most beautiful calls and I'm trying to capture them in flight using the 80-400mm.  So far I'm happy with the old 80-400mm and not sure if it's worth spending the bucks on a new one.

Thanks,

Adrian

87350iroc
Junior MemberPosts: 43Gear list
Like?

Yikes, is this encouraged in your part of the world?

Whatever happened to "do not feed the wild animals"?

87350iroc's gear list:87350iroc's gear list
Nikon D600 Tokina AT-X Pro 100mm f/2.8 Macro Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +5 more
Joe Porto
Senior MemberPosts: 1,008Gear list
Like?

A couple reasons to upgrade...sharper at 400mm f/5.6, faster AF, useable with TC14II on f/8 compatible bodies for 560mm f/8.

Joe Porto's gear list:Joe Porto's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G
PHXAZCRAIG
Forum ProPosts: 10,893Gear list
Like?

If you are satisfied with the performance of the old lens, there's not really a need to replace it.  Whatever the lens you are talking about.

You could get better IQ though.  Depends on how much that matters to you.   The new 80-400 is indeed sharper at any aperture, and it's certainly much sharper wide open.  The AF performance is night-and-day better.

You could also improve IQ a slight bit with a 300F4 and 1.4TC at a lower cost, though the new 80-400 would be even better (by about the same amount or relative improvement).  A Sigma 50-500 might also be worth considering.

I have quite a few bird shots with the old 80-400 that I'm happy with, but between those shots (almost always at F9), I had a lot of not-quite-sharp-enough and 'ouch' shots.   The old 80-400 really made me work at getting all the details just right with long lens technique, and even then it seemed a bit of a crap shoot to see if fine feather detail came out where it should have been.  In short, it can be a lot of work to get good results with the old 80-400.

With the new 80-400, it's more a matter of nailing the focus than anything else.   For me it crossed the barrier of 'sharp enough', which the old 80-400 sometimes approached and the 300+TC did if stopped down a bit.

For birds in flight, the new AF will help, but I think being able to shoot wide open helps more since it directly translates into being able to keep shutter speeds up.  If nothing else, you can shoot in lower light levels than before.

Only you can decide if you want to pay the $ to get there.

-- hide signature --

Craig
www.cjcphoto.net

PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +32 more
carlk
Forum ProPosts: 15,836Gear list
Like?
In reply to 87350iroc, Apr 7, 2013

87350iroc wrote:

Yikes, is this encouraged in your part of the world?

Whatever happened to "do not feed the wild animals"?

I wonder which part of world you're from.  Bird feeders is a pretty common sights in the US and probably many other places too.  It's not bad for the environment if done correctly.  Although some wild life photographers think using food to attract animals for photographs is not true wild life photography.

http://blog.aba.org/2012/12/open-mic-bird-feeders-for-the-environment.html

carlk's gear list:carlk's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 7D Nikon D800E Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +6 more
exRhodesian
Like?
In reply to PHXAZCRAIG, Apr 8, 2013

Hi,

I at one time decided to get ridd of my 80-400mm because it struggled to autofocus, wasn't sharp at all ...etc. Now it's such a wonder to use   - why ?   Because up until last June I only had my 2 x S3 and 2 x S5 cameras ( which I've still got & extensively use for portraits & functions) then decided to get the D800. Suddenly the lens is a joy to use    - not because of the actual lens itself but because of the D800. I'll never use it on my Fuji's.

We also have a large family of mongoose living around us and often throw cat biscuits onto our lawn then sit & watch them feed as seen elow. Here's a sunrise from our garden overlooking the river from where many of the Eagles & Pelicans feed.

Thanks,

Adrian

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads