Nikon 50mm f/1.8D disassembly

Started Apr 7, 2013 | Discussions
Andrazh
New MemberPosts: 8
Like?
Nikon 50mm f/1.8D disassembly
Apr 7, 2013

My lens fell on the ground and the focus got stuck. 
Did anyone disassemble this lense yet?
If I disassemble it from behind I can't get to the focus ring, only aperture ring comes off, so I would have to disassemble it from the front but I don't know how because there aren't any screws there.

mironv
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,708Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon 50mm f/1.8D disassembly
In reply to Andrazh, Apr 7, 2013

If you can aford Nikon 80-200mm f2.8 and Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 than you can just get another 50 if you need it you will not fix this lens by yourself. This time get best f1.8 one that was made in Japan. It will cost you $85-105 of eBay.

-- hide signature --
 mironv's gear list:mironv's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
PSCL1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,145Gear list
Like?
In reply to mironv, Apr 8, 2013

Previous poster is correct.  Not worth fooling with or fixing; just buy another 50.

PSCL1's gear list:PSCL1's gear list
Leica X1 Nikon D80 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Sony Alpha NEX-3N +23 more
angah
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
In reply to Andrazh, 5 months ago

theres no skru or hole to twist..
u need to make a small 2 point hole at the top of nikon words..

Nikon 0. AF NIKKOR 0. 50mm 1: 1.8D

* 0.= hole point

Leonard Shepherd
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,579Gear list
Like?

If you want to try an hour or so taking it apart with reasonable skill and good quality screwdrivers it should not be difficult.

You might find there are screws under the focus ring rubber that need attention.

Whether you can straighten the bent ring and if anything else is damaged is something you might find out.

Making careful notes of exactly how each part was positioned before taken the lens apart can help put it back together with every part exactly where it should be.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
Producing good quality photographs, or being good at sport or art, involves a little more than buying appropriate equipment. Practice, some learning and perhaps natural talent often play a bigger role than the equipment in your hands.

Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR +19 more
jintoku
Regular MemberPosts: 440Gear list
Like?
In reply to Leonard Shepherd, 5 months ago

I took mine apart last year to get oil off the aperture blades, but while putting it back together introduced a weird focus offset that makes it impossible to turn it to infinity (i.e., the ring gets stuck just before). Let me know if you take it apart and encounter the same problem.

jintoku's gear list:jintoku's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Nikon D600 Nikon AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +4 more
mais51
Senior MemberPosts: 1,078Gear list
Like?

Andrazh wrote:

My lens fell on the ground and the focus got stuck.
Did anyone disassemble this lense yet?
If I disassemble it from behind I can't get to the focus ring, only aperture ring comes off, so I would have to disassemble it from the front but I don't know how because there aren't any screws there.

This lens is worth less than $100 new so it is a good excuse to get a new AF-S 50 f1.8 lens. My 50 f1.8D is gathering dust somewhere in the cupboard. I also have a AF-S 50 f/1.4 and an old 50 f/1.8 Nikkor manual focus lens on my film day.

Take a look at this video, it should tell you something

http://dehk.wordpress.com/2011/02/01/ais-nikkor-50mm-f1-4-disassembly/

Good luck

mais51's gear list:mais51's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120 Nikon D300S Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads