Nikon 85mm F1.8G I bought into the hype about how sharp it is. and " how its the best and sharpest"

Started Apr 7, 2013 | Discussions
epozar
Regular MemberPosts: 139
Like?
Re: Nikon 85mm F1.8G I bought into the hype about how sharp it is. and " ...
In reply to Ray Ritchie, Apr 14, 2013

Ray Ritchie wrote:

I think the main point is that Robert loves his lens  No harm in that. As to all the comparatives and superlatives in this thread, those should probably be left to actual side-by-side analysis, not subjective opinions.

Ray
My blog: http://www.rritchie.com/wordpress

You cannot really make love with it ;))

I agree, we are into subjective opinions here - my lens that served me so well is certainly the best..

Emil Pozar, http://emil-pozar.photoshelter.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
clarnibass
Senior MemberPosts: 1,082
Like?
In reply to epozar, Apr 14, 2013

You're right, but this one does and there's almost none of that purple/blue instad of black in the focused area such as shown in some other examples.

D Knisely
Senior MemberPosts: 1,686
Like?
In reply to Tom Ames, Apr 14, 2013

Tom Ames wrote:

Agreed! OP must have a bad copy.

I have had many Nikon lenses including the holy trinity, 85mm 1.4D, 35mm 1.4 50 afs 1.4.

The sharpest lens as I have had and still have is the 85mm 1.8G

Really a remarkable lens! I did like the 85mm 1.4D, but the 85mm 1.8G is sharper and have smooth bokeh as well. Not better than the D version, but close.

A sample, wide open, not full size, but right eye is tack sharp.

That's a really nice quality of light that you got.  I think that image would look fantastic in B&W, which would take away from the distraction of the light blue bib.  Beautiful expression, and excellent use of very shallow DoF...

Doug

Stacey_K
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,988Gear list
Like?
In reply to epozar, Apr 14, 2013

epozar wrote:

anotherMike wrote:

The digital picture shot you provide is improperly focused. Please see the 85/1.8G example I provided earlier in this thread, of the same rez chart, with a D800E, wide open...

-m

I also took several shots at night with this lens and the results are just the same: non-Black central area. I believe I focused properly -

Sorry but you aren't focusing correctly. It's likely the reason you mention 2 other fast lenses you said were "no go"...

-- hide signature --

Stacey

Stacey_K's gear list:Stacey_K's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC +14 more
Shotcents
Senior MemberPosts: 3,754Gear list
Like?
Re: Your right
In reply to tektrader, Apr 14, 2013

tektrader wrote:

sandy b wrote:

All of the reviewrs and masses of users are full of crap. We should all ditch the 1.8. Riggghhht.

Ok just so we can be sure of what you mean here. NIKON HAS NEVER MADE A PRODUCT THAT IS FAULTY..... thats what you think?

So you are obviously too lazy to read the entire thread OR your eyes are painted on.......

My copy was/is CRAP and was sent back.

Yes, but the title of this thread says nothing about a BAD COPY. It indicates that someone has bought into the "HYPE" and that the 85mm 1.8G is not as good as everyone else claims.

There is no hype. The 85 1.8G is my top pick at 85mm above all others. I know some people who prefer the 1.4G or the 1.4D, but no professional that I've met doesn't think they're all very good.

Robert

Shotcents's gear list:Shotcents's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800 Nikon D5200 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
tektrader
Contributing MemberPosts: 619Gear list
Like?
In reply to Shotcents, Apr 14, 2013

Shotcents wrote:

tektrader wrote:

sandy b wrote:

All of the reviewrs and masses of users are full of crap. We should all ditch the 1.8. Riggghhht.

Ok just so we can be sure of what you mean here. NIKON HAS NEVER MADE A PRODUCT THAT IS FAULTY..... thats what you think?

So you are obviously too lazy to read the entire thread OR your eyes are painted on.......

Yes, but the title of this thread says nothing about a BAD COPY. It indicates that someone has bought into the "HYPE" and that the 85mm 1.8G is not as good as everyone else claims.

There is no hype. The 85 1.8G is my top pick at 85mm above all others. I know some people who prefer the 1.4G or the 1.4D, but no professional that I've met doesn't think they're all very good.

Robert

Robert, I didnt have 5 lenses to play with. I HAD ONE. Which shouldnt have been shipped out.

The only opinion I can form is with the brand new copy I had in hand. If it is this easy for Nikon to ship an absolute POS through its factory how many people who are not critical have been stiffed with a poor one. IMO I dont think its too much to expect to buy a new product that reaches the heights OF THE HYPE.......... D800 anyone?   Luckily, mine is fanstastic.

I havent seen this as a great lens yet, therefore the title is correct. BUT I am happy to be proved wrong via this thread which was the whole point. Stupid posts like the one above prove NOTHING.

I asked for examples from good copies, Not a verbal slapping bordering on calling me an idiot.

tektrader's gear list:tektrader's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 400mm f/2.8D ED-IF II +5 more
PHXAZCRAIG
Forum ProPosts: 10,670Gear list
Like?

tektrader wrote:

Robert, I didnt have 5 lenses to play with. I HAD ONE. Which shouldnt have been shipped out.

The only opinion I can form is with the brand new copy I had in hand. If it is this easy for Nikon to ship an absolute POS through its factory how many people who are not critical have been stiffed with a poor one.

Have you never heard of shipping damage?  Have you ever seen any of the youtube videos of UPS drivers heaving boxes over fences, kicking them around, piling big heavy boxes on small ones, etc?

It's certainly possible that the best lens Nikon ever made shipped from the factory to the country of sale, the warehouse or storefront of the seller and onto the customer's doorstep and was not in the same shape at arrival.

-- hide signature --

Craig
www.cjcphoto.net

PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +28 more
Shotcents
Senior MemberPosts: 3,754Gear list
Like?

tektrader wrote:

Shotcents wrote:

tektrader wrote:

sandy b wrote:

Robert

The only opinion I can form is with the brand new copy I had in hand. If it is this easy for Nikon to ship an absolute POS through its factory how many people who are not critical have been stiffed with a poor one. IMO I dont think its too much to expect to buy a new product that reaches the heights OF THE HYPE.......... D800 anyone?   Luckily, mine is fanstastic.

I havent seen this as a great lens yet, therefore the title is correct. BUT I am happy to be proved wrong via this thread which was the whole point. Stupid posts like the one above prove NOTHING.

I asked for examples from good copies, Not a verbal slapping bordering on calling me an idiot.

Since every review of the 85mm 1.8G is generally excellent and many users compare it to the 1.4G or 1.4D you should have realized that your copy was flawed.

Instead, with just a single lens sample, your thread title questions everyone else, reviewers and photographers alike. The lens has been out long enough that we all know what it can do. The performance parameters are nicely documented and generally agreed upon.

But your title essentially degrades all of this by classifying it as "hype" and ignores evidence. It's not like there isn't thousands of samples online showing what the lens can do. It seems your choice of thread titles was born out of frustration, so you've gotten some replies in kind.

I do hope you get a good copy. I know quite a few people using the lens and it's very popular for its performance.

Cheers,

Robert

Shotcents's gear list:Shotcents's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800 Nikon D5200 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
Mike Cialowicz
Regular MemberPosts: 231Gear list
Like?
I think there may be a problem with your copy.

Either that, or you missed focus. The photo you posted looks very soft, and completely unlike the 85/1.8G that I know and use often.

In short, yes, the lens has some CA issues, but they're easily corrected for. Also, I find that the resolution is higher, and the contrast is better than the "D" version.

Have you tried some real-world stuff with it? I'm very happy with mine, but if yours keeps looking like that, then you may have a bad copy. Here are some examples of what's possible with the 1.8G:

EXIF: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cialowicz/7444863868/meta/

EXIF: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cialowicz/7332397330/meta/in/photostream

EXIF: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cialowicz/7721791578/meta/in/photostream

EXIF: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cialowicz/7769287560/meta/in/photostream

Mike Cialowicz's gear list:Mike Cialowicz's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D90 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +10 more
tektrader
Contributing MemberPosts: 619Gear list
Like?
Re: I think there may be a problem with your copy.
In reply to Mike Cialowicz, Apr 14, 2013

Mike, I might have agreed with you if the only photos I took where through the view finder. But even the Live view photos where soft.

They sure didnt look as good as your one did.

BTW, the lens was well packed and both inner or outter cartons had no damage visible. Sure didnt look abused in transport.

The point of the thread is  "PROVE ME WRONG"

not "I AM A NUMB NUTS WHO CANT FOCUS MY CAMERA TELL ME WHY"

tektrader's gear list:tektrader's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 400mm f/2.8D ED-IF II +5 more
Mike Cialowicz
Regular MemberPosts: 231Gear list
Like?
Re: I think there may be a problem with your copy.

tektrader wrote:

BTW, the lens was well packed and both inner or outter cartons had no damage visible. Sure didnt look abused in transport.

Lenses can come from the factory with defects. Or, a severe bump during transport may create no visible damage, but it could very slightly displace one of the inner elements if they were not fastened properly to begin with. Even a very slightly misaligned element could cause serious issues.

I would stop it do various apertures like f/1.8, f/2.8, and f/4... then shoot something like a flat brick wall. All four image quadrants should be of equal sharpness in each image. If they're not, then you've got a bad lens.

Mike Cialowicz's gear list:Mike Cialowicz's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D90 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +10 more
epozar
Like?
In reply to Stacey_K, Apr 14, 2013

Stacey_K wrote:

epozar wrote:

anotherMike wrote:

The digital picture shot you provide is improperly focused. Please see the 85/1.8G example I provided earlier in this thread, of the same rez chart, with a D800E, wide open...

-m

I also took several shots at night with this lens and the results are just the same: non-Black central area. I believe I focused properly -

Sorry but you aren't focusing correctly. It's likely the reason you mention 2 other fast lenses you said were "no go"...

-- hide signature --

Stacey

Yes I am.. at least close enough.

This is approx 120% enlargement of the center.

Emil Pozar, http://emil-pozar.photoshelter.com

epozar
Like?
In reply to Shotcents, Apr 14, 2013

Shotcents wrote:

tektrader wrote:

Shotcents wrote:

tektrader wrote:

sandy b wrote:

Robert

Since every review of the 85mm 1.8G is generally excellent and many users compare it to the 1.4G or 1.4D you should have realized that your copy was flawed.

Instead, with just a single lens sample, your thread title questions everyone else, reviewers and photographers alike. The lens has been out long enough that we all know what it can do. The performance parameters are nicely documented and generally agreed upon.

But your title essentially degrades all of this by classifying it as "hype" and ignores evidence. It's not like there isn't thousands of samples online showing what the lens can do. It seems your choice of thread titles was born out of frustration, so you've gotten some replies in kind.

I do hope you get a good copy. I know quite a few people using the lens and it's very popular for its performance.

Cheers,

Robert

Let's see here... again not focused correctly..

http://www.lenstip.com/333.5-Lens_review-Nikon_Nikkor_AF-S_85_mm_f_1.8G__Chromatic_and_spherical_aberration.html

Emil Pozar, http://emil-pozar.photoshelter.com/

Stacey_K
Like?
In reply to epozar, Apr 15, 2013

epozar wrote:

Shotcents wrote:

tektrader wrote:

Shotcents wrote:

tektrader wrote:

sandy b wrote:

Robert

Cheers,

Robert

http://www.lenstip.com/333.5-Lens_review-Nikon_Nikkor_AF-S_85_mm_f_1.8G__Chromatic_and_spherical_aberration.html

http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2012/04/new-color-fringe-correction-controls.html

It's not like this is hard to fix... Almost every fast lens on the planet used wide open show this "fault". Likely why you returned 2 different fast lenses thinking they were all bad. Plus not being in focus, which is critical for a fast lens, will ruin a picture. Almost anyone using sloppy techniques can get decent looking images with a slow lens.

-- hide signature --

Stacey

Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC +14 more
epozar
Like?
In reply to Stacey_K, Apr 16, 2013

Stacey_K wrote:

epozar wrote:

Shotcents wrote:

tektrader wrote:

Shotcents wrote:

tektrader wrote:

sandy b wrote:

Robert

Cheers,

Robert

http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2012/04/new-color-fringe-correction-controls.html

It's not like this is hard to fix... Almost every fast lens on the planet used wide open show this "fault". Likely why you returned 2 different fast lenses thinking they were all bad. Plus not being in focus, which is critical for a fast lens, will ruin a picture. Almost anyone using sloppy techniques can get decent looking images with a slow lens.

-- hide signature --

Stacey

This ACR tool is made for a different color problem.

Tom Ames
Contributing MemberPosts: 642Gear list
Like?
In reply to D Knisely, Apr 18, 2013

D Knisely wrote:

Tom Ames wrote:

Agreed! OP must have a bad copy.

I have had many Nikon lenses including the holy trinity, 85mm 1.4D, 35mm 1.4 50 afs 1.4.

The sharpest lens as I have had and still have is the 85mm 1.8G

Really a remarkable lens! I did like the 85mm 1.4D, but the 85mm 1.8G is sharper and have smooth bokeh as well. Not better than the D version, but close.

A sample, wide open, not full size, but right eye is tack sharp.

That's a really nice quality of light that you got.  I think that image would look fantastic in B&W, which would take away from the distraction of the light blue bib.  Beautiful expression, and excellent use of very shallow DoF...

Doug

Thank you. I'll try as you suggest a B&W version.

Tom Ames's gear list:Tom Ames's gear list
Nikon Df Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.4G Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +1 more
Stacey_K
Like?
In reply to epozar, Apr 18, 2013

epozar wrote:

-- hide signature --

Stacey

Hmm so what type of CA are you talking about that your lens has? This tool fixes both axial and lateral CA. Or did you not bother to read the link? The main problem with the image you posted is it's out of focus.

I find it it interesting many other people make some amazingly good images with this lens but then a couple of people say it's garbage, along with 2-3 other superb fast lenses.

-- hide signature --

Stacey

NASattack
Forum MemberPosts: 71
Like?
Re: D800E F/1.8 example
In reply to anotherMike, Apr 19, 2013

anotherMike wrote:

A few notes:

1) IF you are focused precisely, you shouldn't get too much CA at the focus plane. See example I've provided. You WILL get CA in the out of focus areas. Most every lens you buy will do this wide open. Really only things like the exotics (200/2, etc) or the new Zeiss 135/2 Apo Sonnar are exempt from this. So you can't use this as an excuse to damn the lens, honestly. One must be realistic.

2) On a D800E, there is not a lens I own that is tack sharp corner to corner wide open other than my 200/2, and even that likes being nudged down a touch on the D800E. Again, one must be realistic about results.

3) IF you are properly focused, the 85/1.8G is one of the sharpest lenses you can mount on a D800E at the more regularly used apertures. I've shot a lot of glass in 30+ years (40+ Nikkors alone plus other brands) and this is definitely a very sharp lens - but as I've said, not wide open, and definitely not if you miss focus. You'll have to spend a lot more money to get anything that is even a smidge sharper. I've been there, tested that. I'm far from alone in this opinion, photozone, dxomark and others have come to the same conclusion.

The image provided is a 100% crop (crop needed because one can't upload a full sized image to dpreview gallieres) of a test chart taken at about 5 feet with the 85/1.8G on my D800E, on tripod, mirror lockup, shot delay, and properly live view focused. This is what you should be able to get with a flat target at this aperture. Go see if you can find the CA in this shot. Now - of course if you stop the lens down a bit sharpness will increase, but what I provide is a good realistic starting point of what your lens should be capable of wide open in the focused plane - again, areas in and out of focus will show fringing, just like every other fast lens I own except the 200/2, and that includes the 50/1.8G and the Sigma 35/1.4 btw.

Is this tack sharp? No. See point 1. But if you were to do the same thing with either older 85 Nikkor AFD, the Sigma, or even the 85/1.4G, you might be surprised to see which lens wins (it would be the 1.8G closely followed by the 1.4G). Again, one must get realistic about wide open results on this particularly demanding camera, and one must focus precisely.

-m

Late to this thread and was going to post but this reply say it all about this lens. Great lens with CA wide open But still the sharpest lens I have for my D800e.

epozar
Like?
In reply to Stacey_K, Apr 19, 2013

Stacey_K wrote:

epozar wrote:

-- hide signature --

Stacey

Hmm so what type of CA are you talking about that your lens has? This tool fixes both axial and lateral CA. Or did you not bother to read the link? The main problem with the image you posted is it's out of focus.

I find it it interesting many other people make some amazingly good images with this lens but then a couple of people say it's garbage, along with 2-3 other superb fast lenses.

-- hide signature --

Stacey

It is not that the lens is bad it's only that it's not perfect as some labs said. Having preference for a "CA-clean" glass I decided this one is not for me.

Frankly I cannot test the latest ACR CA-removal tools because I don't have it. Have a word of you that it is do-able ;))

inasir1971
Senior MemberPosts: 3,116Gear list
Like?
In reply to epozar, Apr 19, 2013

epozar wrote:

It is not that the lens is bad it's only that it's not perfect as some labs said. Having preference for a "CA-clean" glass I decided this one is not for me.

Frankly I cannot test the latest ACR CA-removal tools because I don't have it. Have a word of you that it is do-able ;))

What lenses do you consider "CA-clean"?

Most lenses have some CA at wider apertures - even the Zeiss 135/2 APO Sonnar here (fur above eyes):

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads