Nikon 85mm F1.8G I bought into the hype about how sharp it is. and " how its the best and sharpest"

Started Apr 7, 2013 | Discussions
Liviu Namolovan
Regular MemberPosts: 477
Like?
Re: The old 85 AF-D was just about that sharp (at least at f1.8)
In reply to tektrader, Apr 11, 2013

Had the same problem with the previous 85mm f1.8. Sharp?! Not even close!!! I think they have an unacceptable percent of quality control issues.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
martinch
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,054
Like?
In reply to Liviu Namolovan, Apr 12, 2013

Liviu Namolovan wrote:

Had the same problem with the previous 85mm f1.8. Sharp?! Not even close!!! I think they have an unacceptable percent of quality control issues.

My 85mm f/1.8G is very very good ... however, my D300 can't quite focus it correctly - focussing at f/1.8-f/2.5 reveals what looks like a slight tendency to front focus in my D300 (absolutely fine when using Live View or when on my D200, though, and my 50mm f/1.4 seems to be doing the same thing wide open - I've never shot them really wide, it and all my other lenses are fine at f/2.8, and a -5 focus adjustment covers it).  Don't know if that might be the culprit..?

-- hide signature --

My gallery of so-so nature photos:
http://martinch.zenfolio.com/

DaSigmaGuy
Forum ProPosts: 12,276Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon 85mm F1.8G I bought into the hype about how sharp it is.
In reply to Peter Jonas, Apr 12, 2013

Peter Jonas wrote:

DaSigmaGuy wrote:

Tyr-Sog wrote:

He bought the 1.8G, not the 1.4G.  So we're back at halves, the 1.8G is half the cost of the Sigma 1.4 .

Whoops, my bad...Anyway I Just checked and perhaps not supprisingly the Sigma is sharper at every aperture than the 1.8 G.

That is not the whole story.

While the Sigma is marginally sharper in the centre, the Nikon is much sharpe everywhere else. The Sigma may be better suited for portraiture, but the Nikon appears to be the better all round lense at a much lower price.

And the conclusion of the FotoZone review concurs

Although I do understand from your forum ID that it is difficult for you to form an impartial view about this.

Whoa...That's a low blow!  My Dpreview name refers to my Sigma DSLR's, not my lenses.  I am actually very impartial as I don't use Sigma lenses on my Sigma DSLR's (well I do have one, a 14mm f3.5) but otherwise I only use Canon lenses, Nikon lenses, Carl Zeiss lenses and many more.

DaSigmaGuy's gear list:DaSigmaGuy's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F660EXR Sigma SD10 Sigma SD14 +25 more
epozar
Regular MemberPosts: 158
Like?
Re: Nikon 85mm F1.8G I bought into the hype about how sharp it is. and " ...
In reply to anotherMike, Apr 12, 2013

anotherMike wrote:

The digital picture shot you provide is improperly focused. Please see the 85/1.8G example I provided earlier in this thread, of the same rez chart, with a D800E, wide open...

-m

I also took several shots at night with this lens and the results are just the same: non-Black central area. I believe I focused properly - so this lens /for me/ went into no-buy category.. just hate this effect.

Look for youself, this is a center of the image, at f2.0..

Regards,

Emil Pozar, http://emil-pozar.photoshelter.com

DaSigmaGuy
Forum ProPosts: 12,276Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon 85mm F1.8G I bought into the hype about how sharp it is.
In reply to marike6, Apr 12, 2013

marike6 wrote:

DaSigmaGuy wrote:

tektrader wrote:

Well i finally got around to buying one after I sent back the Samyang.

Whats the deal wiith the CA ???   It also doesnt seem that sharp. I microfocus adjusted it today. Really its isnt that good.

Is my copy a dud? look at the photo and click look at it at 100%. The phot is a 60% crop, the focus point is the on the edge of the wood toward the right. Look at all the green CA on the left.................... and its red to the right (which was cropped off)

Is this lens a BAD copy ????????????

The Lens Align Ruler looks horrible, indistinct focus point at F1.8 and CA in both directions each side of the fuzzy focus point. I am really bummed by this.

Can someone post some 100% crops so I can see what their copy is like?

What you have now learned is that you should always do your own research before buying lenses and never simply buy into the hype.

Yes, research will tell you (see links below) that the Nikkor are about as good as it gets for portrait lenses.

I know its a bit late but I can tell you now that the Sigma 85mm f1.4 EX has 30% less barrel distortion that the G, 20% less vignetting wide open than the G, its sharper wide open than the G, its actually sharper at f2 that the G is at f2.8!  And what's more, it costs about half the price!

The Sigma has poor corners relative to the Nikkors, so I'm not sure what all this talk about sharpness is.

Yes, the Sigma isn't as good at the corners or edges of frame but the photozone results clearly show that the Sigma is considerably sharper in the centre of frame than the f1.8 G, and at every comparable aperture.  So as its a portrait lens, and you only need the centre for pro portrait work, the Sigma shouldn't be ruled out as a attractive lens option, unless of course your on a tight budget.  BTW, I couldn't afford the Sigma myself but then I don't need one as I have a Canon FD 85mm f1.2 L instead, which is about as good as it gets 85mm lens wise.

I found these figures quickly and easily by simply comparing their test results on Photozone, where they were both tested on a FF D3X.

So should you sell the Nikon and get the Sigma instead so you can not only get a better lens but also save yourself about £600 in the process?...That's entirely up to you.

I'm surprised you even brought up Photozone as both the f1.4G and f1.8G Nikkors received "Highly Recommended" awards and the Sigma 85 1.4 did not.

What's that got to do with anything?   How do you know the Nikon rep didn't simply grease the palm of Photozones tester/s to help them get an award?  Or that perhaps the Photozone tester/s simply has a heavy Nikon bias?

The 1.8 G only got its award for its far better bang per buck than the Sigma...The Sigma is almost twice the price so of course its not going to get an award.

However, as I mentioned before, the Sigma has 30% less barrel distortion that the f1.4 G, 20% less vignetting wide open than the f1.4 G, its sharper wide open than the f1.4 G and its actually sharper at f2 than the f1.4 G is at f2.8!  Now factor in the fact that the Sigma is about half the price of the f1.4 G and therefore it offers far more bang per buck, it should be the Sigma that has the highly recommended award, NOT the f1.4 G!

Lets face it, Nikon has a virtually unlimited corporate entertainment budget, so its extremely likely that the tester/s were simply promised free Nikon gear in return for a little "highly recommended" award here and there.  Sigma has no corporate entertainment budget whatsoever so of course they can't ever hope to sway an award like Nikon can.

DaSigmaGuy's gear list:DaSigmaGuy's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F660EXR Sigma SD10 Sigma SD14 +25 more
Liviu Namolovan
Regular MemberPosts: 477
Like?
In reply to martinch, Apr 12, 2013

Could be, yes.

tektrader
Contributing MemberPosts: 644Gear list
Like?
In reply to epozar, Apr 12, 2013

This what the centre of my faulty one looked like. Horrid

tektrader's gear list:tektrader's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II +4 more
Ernie Misner
Senior MemberPosts: 1,829
Like?
In reply to epozar, Apr 12, 2013

epozar wrote:

anotherMike wrote:

The digital picture shot you provide is improperly focused. Please see the 85/1.8G example I provided earlier in this thread, of the same rez chart, with a D800E, wide open...

-m

I also took several shots at night with this lens and the results are just the same: non-Black central area. I believe I focused properly - so this lens /for me/ went into no-buy category.. just hate this effect.

Look for youself, this is a center of the image, at f2.0..

Regards,

What exactly is it I'm looking for in the central area of this shot.   I'm not sure what is meant by non-Black.     Thanks!

tektrader
Like?
In reply to Ernie Misner, Apr 12, 2013

he's looking at the CA that has pushed black areas to look purple. Even perfectly focussed my crook lens did that as well. The Focal chart when used with live view had CA in the middle in my lens.

Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II +4 more
Shotcents
Senior MemberPosts: 4,068Gear list
Like?
In reply to tektrader, Apr 12, 2013

Yet another shot with one of the best 85mm lenses around....get yourselves a good copy.

Robert

Shotcents's gear list:Shotcents's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800 Nikon D5200 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
epozar
Like?
In reply to tektrader, Apr 14, 2013

tektrader wrote:

This what the centre of my faulty one looked like. Horrid

And by the way, 100/2 DC and 135/2 DC lenses are the same :((

epozar
Like?
In reply to Shotcents, Apr 14, 2013

Shotcents wrote:

Yet another shot with one of the best 85mm lenses around....get yourselves a good copy.

Robert

This shot has no contrasty black lines in the center of the frame, so what's the point of this post?

clarnibass
Senior MemberPosts: 1,332
Like?
Re: Nikon 85mm F1.8G I bought into the hype about how sharp it is. and

OK, I tested my 85mm 1.8G again with a focus chart (printed in black).

It is sharp at f/1.8. Obviously not as sharp as when reducing the aperture, but for f/1.8 it is sharp (I'd say very sharp for an f/1.8 lens wide open).

Now here's why I only commented on sharpness... I'm colourblind. So I can't reliably judge any of the colour issues you mentioned.

I'm 99% sure my lens doesn't have the strong purple-instead-of-black issue (how is it called?) in the center, such as shown by websites such as TDP. I say 99% because, being colourblind, I just can't say it is 100% sure. But I can absolutely see it on TDP and it is obiously not like that.

My lens does seem to have the colour issues in the out of focus areas, with different colours in the front blur and back blur. I'm not sure what the colours are, but the back seems blue-purple type and the front looks red-green type of colour. It looks more or less similar to what Photozone shows in their Bokeh Fringing example (different targets, condition, etc. so can't expect it to be identical I guess). So I'd say this is normal for this lens (and probably many others, at least the 85mm 1.4G seems similar in the Photozone review).

I guess I've never even noticed this because, first, I'm colourblind and second, because it gets "swallowed" in my photos, as opposed to a test chart which shows it best.

But I have to emphasize that the severe non-black colour doesn't happen with my lens!

Edit: I just asked a non-colourblind person and I was right. The center looks absolutely black and not at all the blue/purple that some examples show. The bokeh fringing exists and it is mostly purple at the front and mostly green at the back.

sandy b
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,657Gear list
Like?
Reviews do not seem to confirm that
In reply to markprincess, Apr 14, 2013

For the price, I chose the 1.8G as it certainly did not seem the 1.4 was worth the massive price increase. I certainly would have taken the Siggy over the 1.4 Nikon if I really craved the 1.4.

sandy b's gear list:sandy b's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Nikon D7000 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II +3 more
sandy b
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,657Gear list
Like?
Your right

All of the reviewrs and masses of users are full of crap. We should all ditch the 1.8. Riggghhht.

sandy b's gear list:sandy b's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Nikon D7000 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II +3 more
Mark_A
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,312
Like?
Nice samples.
In reply to ohcello, Apr 14, 2013

Good pics ....

I have the 85mm f1.8 AF-D

I like it a lot for exactly this kind of picture.

Mark

Ray Ritchie
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,821
Like?
In reply to epozar, Apr 14, 2013

I think the main point is that Robert loves his lens  No harm in that. As to all the comparatives and superlatives in this thread, those should probably be left to actual side-by-side analysis, not subjective opinions.

Ray
My blog: http://www.rritchie.com/wordpress

tektrader
Like?
Re: Your right
In reply to sandy b, Apr 14, 2013

sandy b wrote:

All of the reviewrs and masses of users are full of crap. We should all ditch the 1.8. Riggghhht.

Ok just so we can be sure of what you mean here. NIKON HAS NEVER MADE A PRODUCT THAT IS FAULTY..... thats what you think?

So you are obviously too lazy to read the entire thread OR your eyes are painted on.......

My copy was/is CRAP and was sent back.

clarnibass
Senior MemberPosts: 1,332
Like?
Re: Your right

Here is my lens in a similar test to show the front and back fringing but especially the almost no finging at all in the focused area.

Tom Ames
Contributing MemberPosts: 728Gear list
Like?
In reply to Shotcents, Apr 14, 2013

Agreed! OP must have a bad copy.

I have had many Nikon lenses including the holy trinity, 85mm 1.4D, 35mm 1.4 50 afs 1.4.

The sharpest lens as I have had and still have is the 85mm 1.8G

Really a remarkable lens! I did like the 85mm 1.4D, but the 85mm 1.8G is sharper and have smooth bokeh as well. Not better than the D version, but close.

A sample, wide open, not full size, but right eye is tack sharp.

Tom Ames's gear list:Tom Ames's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads