Nikon 85mm F1.8G I bought into the hype about how sharp it is. and " how its the best and sharpest"

Started Apr 7, 2013 | Discussions
HomoSapiensWannaBe
Regular MemberPosts: 257
Like?
Re: That loCA is normal.
In reply to wchutt, Apr 8, 2013

wchutt wrote:

One reason I don't plan to buy another Nikkor fast lens is their LoCA is more obvious than other fast lenses.

If I remember correctly NX2 minimizes the LoCA. So you have to buy the camera, lens and software to get the most out of the lens. This insults me. If Nikon wants to save money by designing a lens with higher than typical LoCA and also make money selling me software to fix it, well I'm done buying fast Nikon lenses.

BTW I know LoCA is inherent in fast lens design. What annoys me is Nikon's recent fast lenses have such a high level compared to other lenses.

I have observed that NX2 removes LoCA (axial) fairly well, but LR 4.4 doesn't.   In LR, I have selected Lens Correction->Color->Remove chromatic aberration, and experimented with the defringe eye-dropper to target the color, adjusting the Amount slider from one end to the other.   No matter how I adjust it, LR doesn't do nearly as good a job as NX2 in removing LoCA.   I wonder if LR will ever be as capable as NX2 in this regard?

This is frustrating with an otherwise excellent lens like the 85/1.8G.   Now, I find myself avoiding high contrast lighting and/or subjects with this lens because for me the LoCA induced fringing is unacceptable.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
nathantw
Senior MemberPosts: 1,055
Like?
Re: Nikon 85mm F1.8G I bought into the hype
In reply to tektrader, Apr 8, 2013

tektrader wrote:

Is this lens a BAD copy ????????????

The Lens Align Ruler looks horrible, indistinct focus point at F1.8 and CA in both directions each side of the fuzzy focus point. I am really bummed by this.

Can someone post some 100% crops so I can see what their copy is like?

Ah, you drank the Kool Aid too, eh? I almost did too. Instead I drank the green one and got the f/1.4G and thought, "hmmm, okay." Still, it's better than my f/1.8 AF.

-- hide signature --

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathantw/
Always have a camera with you and make sure you use it.

Shotcents
Senior MemberPosts: 3,929Gear list
Like?
In reply to nathantw, Apr 8, 2013

nathantw wrote:

tektrader wrote:

Is this lens a BAD copy ????????????

The Lens Align Ruler looks horrible, indistinct focus point at F1.8 and CA in both directions each side of the fuzzy focus point. I am really bummed by this.

Can someone post some 100% crops so I can see what their copy is like?

Ah, you drank the Kool Aid too, eh? I almost did too. Instead I drank the green one and got the f/1.4G and thought, "hmmm, okay." Still, it's better than my f/1.8 AF.

Shot both side by side and the 1.8G is superior to the 1.4G on my D800.

Sorry. You spent a lot, but at least you got to post that comment!

Robert

Shotcents's gear list:Shotcents's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800 Nikon D5200 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
RSchussel
Regular MemberPosts: 213Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon 85mm F1.8G I bought into the hype about how sharp it is. and
In reply to ed kelly, Apr 8, 2013

If the lens is a US warranty ,your only cost will be to sent it to Nikon Service Repair.I have sent 3 Nikon lens back for focus problems.( It tells you are their quality control--my 24 F1.4G was so bad out of the box even fine tuning didnt make any difference.). In each case the lens came back much improved.

RSchussel's gear list:RSchussel's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED +4 more
nathantw
Like?
In reply to Shotcents, Apr 8, 2013

Shotcents wrote:

Sorry. You spent a lot, but at least you got to post that comment!

Robert

And I gave you the opportunity to make a snarky remark.

One of the things that has never been shown with the f/1.8G is whether points of lights at the corners when shot at f/1.8 are pinpoints or triangle shape. In my case I needed a lens that would provide pinpoints, or close it it, when wide open. If the f/1.8G does that then yes, I could have spent $1k less. If the lights are triangle shape, well, it was money well spent.

Also, having 77mm filters (no adapters needed for expensive 77mm filters I already own) and a metal filter mount helps with the f/1.4G as opposed to the 67mm plastic filter threads on the f/1.8G.

-- hide signature --

nathantw
Like?
Re: Nikon 85mm F1.8G I bought into the hype about how sharp it is. and
In reply to RSchussel, Apr 8, 2013

RSchussel wrote:

If the lens is a US warranty ,your only cost will be to sent it to Nikon Service Repair.I have sent 3 Nikon lens back for focus problems.( It tells you are their quality control--my 24 F1.4G was so bad out of the box even fine tuning didnt make any difference.). In each case the lens came back much improved.

What was interesting about your 24mm was that I experienced the same thing when I took it out of the box. In fact it couldn't focus on infinity in one test. It drove me crazy. I thought that it needed fine tuning, etc. However, after playing with the lens a bit it appeared that the motor was "exercised" and suddenly everything started working perfectly.

-- hide signature --

m_appeal
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,434
Like?
sigma 85 1.4
In reply to marike6, Apr 8, 2013

marike6 wrote:

The 85 1.8G is a close to perfect lens that absolutely tested off the charts on Photozone. (The Sigma 85 1.4 that others are crowing about tested worse than both the f1.4 and f1.8G Nikkors).

Crowing about? The Sigma actually tested as having higher central sharpness at equivalent apertures   in comparison with the 85 1.8 G... it's softer in the corners... I have never really noticed it .

My 85 1.8 G has never come close to producing the quality of the bokeh that I got with the Sigma. While this shot is misfocused, the quality of the blur speaks for itself... I prefer the colours I got with the Sigma as well

Astrophotographer 10
Senior MemberPosts: 4,634Gear list
Like?
Re: Yes you probably got a bad copy

Assuming you took that photo correctly and weren't too close to the timber I would say yes you have a bad copy.

Double check with several shots and double check AF settings etc.

Some CA is usual with this lens but in an in focus image there is minimal. I usually only see it in the out of focus background edges and its not as bad as your image. I would prefer none but there you go - F1.8 and at that price point.

It is definitely a sharp lens so if yours isn't then there is your answer.

Greg.

mistermejia
Senior MemberPosts: 2,822Gear list
Like?
Wait a Minute!!

You returned your Samyang 85 1.4??  Now you are having problems with your Nikon 85 1.8?

Doesn't that tell you that there might be something wrong with your camera?  I have the Ronikon 85 1.4 too and i would NEVER sell that lens, at 1.4 my copy is already very sharp.  Something else is going on here, no?

mistermejia's gear list:mistermejia's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Rokinon 85mm F1.4 +4 more
epozar
Regular MemberPosts: 145
Like?
Re: Nikon 85mm F1.8G I bought into the hype about how sharp it is. and " ...
tektrader
Contributing MemberPosts: 630Gear list
Like?
Re: Wait a Minute!!
In reply to mistermejia, Apr 8, 2013

I returned the Samyang primarily because wide open it wasnt any better than the 70-200 at F2.8. It was a bit soft.

The Nikon 85 F1.8 has way way more CA than the Samyang which IMO has limited its use. This lens is SOFTER than the 70-200. I am after the crispness and microfocus from the Nikon 85 as I want to use it for stitched panoramas. Doesnt seem I will get it.

BTW I did buy the lens from a USA business and it has a Nikon USA warranty inside. But I live in Australia so I have to send it back to New York now.

I quite liked the rendering of the Samyang, but it wasnt worth $400 extra seeing I already had a 70-200 which was just as sharp.

Samyang photo, Quite good at F8, This image was sharpened etc BTW

mistermejia wrote:

You returned your Samyang 85 1.4??  Now you are having problems with your Nikon 85 1.8?

Doesn't that tell you that there might be something wrong with your camera?  I have the Ronikon 85 1.4 too and i would NEVER sell that lens, at 1.4 my copy is already very sharp.  Something else is going on here, no?

tektrader's gear list:tektrader's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II +4 more
tektrader
Like?
In reply to epozar, Apr 8, 2013

Just has a look at your link Emil, thanks.

Their samples are very similar to the one I have as regards the CA. Even the centre at F1.8 is ridden with CA which doesnt go away until F4. In mine it doesnt go until F8.

Their sample also seems quite a bit sharper wide open in the centre than my copy.

epozar wrote:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=791&Sample=0&FLI=0&API=0&LensComp=732&CameraComp=614&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=0

You can see clearly here - non-Black central lines.

Clears at f2.8 though

regards,

Emil Pozar, http://emil-pozar.photoshelter.com//

Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II +4 more
Shotcents
Like?

tektrader wrote:

I returned the Samyang primarily because wide open it wasnt any better than the 70-200 at F2.8. It was a bit soft.

The Nikon 85 F1.8 has way way more CA than the Samyang which IMO has limited its use. This lens is SOFTER than the 70-200. I am after the crispness and microfocus from the Nikon 85 as I want to use it for stitched panoramas. Doesnt seem I will get it.

I think you're having trouble accepting the facts about this.

Your problem lies elsewhere, which I can easily show because I did a bokeh test earlier today and it happens to fit this discussion.

The 85mm 1.8G is slightly sharper than the 70-200 VRII. If yours is not then you have a camera/lens issue. All of my lenses are carefully AF tuned.

Here are four shots, all at 85mm, close to same settings using Tamron 70-300, 85mm 1.8G, 24-85vr, and the 70-200 VRII. Again, ALL at 85mm.

There is little sharpness difference, but the 85mm 1.8G is the leader by an ever-so-slight margin.

And just so there is NO DOUBT, the 85mm is just about as sharp at 1.8 as the Nikon 70-200 VRII is at 2.8.

I just clicked off the shot above, so the lighting has changed. But the sharpness of the 85mm 1.8G is extremely good, easily a match for my 70-200.

Sorry, but you have either a camera or lens problem or both.

Robert

Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800 Nikon D5200 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
anotherMike
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,946
Like?
In reply to epozar, Apr 8, 2013

The digital picture shot you provide is improperly focused. Please see the 85/1.8G example I provided earlier in this thread, of the same rez chart, with a D800E, wide open...

-m

tektrader
Like?
In reply to Shotcents, Apr 8, 2013

Thanks Robert, Helpful photos.

I packed the lens up to send back, and will have a better look at the camera. You are of course correct, the answer lies in one or the other.

My D800 edge focus was perfect out of the box thank goodness. Will examine my options now.

I would expect perfect focus in live view which didn't happen in live view with the Nikon 85

nkistrup
Senior MemberPosts: 1,088Gear list
Like?
Re: How to check for damaged lenses
In reply to PHXAZCRAIG, Apr 8, 2013

THANK YOU Craig!  This was one of biggest concerns with a DSLR ... buying a lens & having NO idea if it was a gem or a lemon.

nkistrup's gear list:nkistrup's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100 +1 more
Shotcents
Like?

tektrader wrote:

Thanks Robert, Helpful photos.

I packed the lens up to send back, and will have a better look at the camera. You are of course correct, the answer lies in one or the other.

My D800 edge focus was perfect out of the box thank goodness. Will examine my options now.

I would expect perfect focus in live view which didn't happen in live view with the Nikon 85

No worries.

Do let us know how your 2nd copy looks.

BTW, my 85mm 1.8G has less CA than I expected (less than the 1.4G at 1.8). I assume I got a good copy. On the other hand, my 50mm 1.8G is sharp, but more CA when wide open.

You win a few, you lose a few.

Robert

GregF
Senior MemberPosts: 1,912
Like?
Sharp but not perfect
In reply to tektrader, Apr 9, 2013

I am a bit dissapointed in the green/purple madness on OOF edges; it is very distracting in some of my people pics (how about green eyebrows but I have read up on it and understand it isn't uncommon.  What I also understand is- I believe my Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 OS does a better job in this specific area wide open, than the 85mm 1.8G at f/2.8...Sigma seems to have done a stellar job at color aberration control with the newer lenses.  That almost means more to me than slightly better sharpness across the frame, as I typically am not using my 85 to shoot flat surfaces at f/1.8; I'm using it to isolate a subject somewhat away from the borders of the frame.

I can't see the 85 1.8G is any better in this respect than my old 50 1.8D, which was something I was really hoping had improved.

On the flip side, it does reasonably well at catching moving subjects in average light.  In good light it does admirably.

I think in conclusion for me- I value color aberration control as much, or more than absolute sharpness as the main measure of image quality.

Stacey_K
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,265Gear list
Like?
No good "test" shot yet? It's not hyped...

I looked through the thread and none of these shots prove anything. Using live view handheld wide open with this lens? The DOF is way too shallow for that to work. CAF is needed hand held with this lens IMOH. Then you post an example from another lens at f8, what lens isn't good at f8? Last I saw a cat shot at 1/20th as an example of softness, I'd be shocked if it wasn't!

As far as lens being hyped, it's not. I've never used it for a portrait that didn't look fantastic. This lens is a reason to buy into the nikon system. This was ooc jpeg I shot of a friend yesterday in fairly low light.

-- hide signature --

Stacey

Stacey_K's gear list:Stacey_K's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC +14 more
Sensei Mike
Contributing MemberPosts: 521Gear list
Like?
Re: Not sharp?

Not sure I agree. One from yesterday.

Sensei Mike's gear list:Sensei Mike's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D7100
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads