Viewer 3 : Good and bad...

Started Apr 7, 2013 | Discussions
Kevin Sutton
Contributing MemberPosts: 738Gear list
Like?
Viewer 3 : Good and bad...
Apr 7, 2013

Hi

Just tried out Viewer 3.  A lot faster than Viewer 2 and much sleeker interface - all good.

Bad news is that 16-bit TIFF's are still stripped of their EXIF metadata. Shame they couldn't get that right.

Cheers Kevin

Kevin Sutton's gear list:Kevin Sutton's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 7-14mm 1:4.0 Olympus Zuiko Digital 2.0x Teleconverter EC-20 +13 more
Andy Hewitt
Senior MemberPosts: 2,705Gear list
Like?
Re: Viewer 3 : Good and bad...
In reply to Kevin Sutton, Apr 7, 2013

I dunno, it just looks like mutton dressed up as lamb to me. It's still as cumbersome to use, and still shows jagged edges to previews. There's little there to drag me away from Aperture.

-- hide signature --

Andy Hewitt
Using Olympus E-420 and Apple Mac Mini '09.

Andy Hewitt's gear list:Andy Hewitt's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-S1 Fujifilm X-S1 Apple Aperture Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 Apple iPhone 4S
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
goblin
Senior MemberPosts: 2,791Gear list
Like?
In reply to Kevin Sutton, Apr 7, 2013

The bad on my side is that it would simply not install on my xp machine. Googled the error - found explanations here on dpreview about installation problems with every single Olympus program at one time or the other. Something about the installer being written by someone with a negative iq.

goblin's gear list:goblin's gear list
Ricoh GXR P10 28-300mm F3.5-5.6 VC Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 +36 more
joergzielosko
Regular MemberPosts: 308Gear list
Like?
In reply to goblin, Apr 8, 2013

goblin wrote:

The bad on my side is that it would simply not install on my xp machine.

Installation worked flawlessly on XP here. Because the test was in a VM, I cannot judge the performance yet...

joergzielosko's gear list:joergzielosko's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 +10 more
Baladam
Regular MemberPosts: 171Gear list
Like?
How about tethered shooting ?
In reply to Kevin Sutton, Apr 8, 2013

I wonder if it is available on Viewer 3 .

mpeman
mpeman MOD
Senior MemberPosts: 1,855Gear list
Like?
It is just OK

A little bump in speed is great.  The interface and operation have all remained pretty much the same in the raw area...except that maybe the large-ish interface looks like it needs a blacklight to use :).

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Kevin
--

Ulfric M Douglas
Senior MemberPosts: 4,039
Like?
In reply to goblin, Apr 8, 2013

goblin wrote:

The bad on my side is that it would simply not install on my xp machine. Googled the error - found explanations here on dpreview about installation problems with every single Olympus program at one time or the other. Something about the installer being written by someone with a negative iq.

I'm using XP Pro with SP2, not SP3 and it installed really fast and worked fine.

Just saying.

But ... 25 seconds to process a RAW into dramatic tone Jpeg!

Mesolithic.

klaas-Rotterdam
Regular MemberPosts: 287Gear list
Like?

Down loaded the viewer 3 yesterday after reading the treads, start working with it today.

Have to get used to the new software but after you get used to it it seems to be ok!

I will not go back to the viewer 2!

-- hide signature --

Groet/Regards.
Klaas

klaas-Rotterdam's gear list:klaas-Rotterdam's gear list
Olympus D-595 Zoom Olympus E-620 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 18-180mm 1:3.5-6.3 +11 more
AccidntlTourist
Contributing MemberPosts: 568Gear list
Like?
Will You Go Back to 2?
In reply to klaas-Rotterdam, Apr 8, 2013

"I will not go back to the viewer 2!"

That's the bottom line answer I'm interested in.

I often use Viewer 2.  I don't find it very intuitive, but it's free and its designed to use Olympus filters.

For more sophisticated image processing I use GIMP (powerful and free); UFraw for the ORF.

klaas-Rotterdam wrote:

Down loaded the viewer 3 yesterday after reading the treads, start working with it today.

Have to get used to the new software but after you get used to it it seems to be ok!

I will not go back to the viewer 2!

-- hide signature --

Groet/Regards.
Klaas

-- hide signature --

Will -

AussieAndo
Regular MemberPosts: 151
Like?
In reply to goblin, Apr 9, 2013

goblin wrote:

As you will read here many people can get it to install on XP.

The big question is - if it doesn't so what? Why expect the latest photo software to work on an outdated 12 yr old OS like XP? It would be like expecting XP software to install on Windows 2.1

Time to upgrade the OS.

If the PC can't handle the newer operating systems then chances are it won't handle the photo software anyway and you will always be upset that it runs too slowly or takes an age to convert a RAW to jpg.

klaas-Rotterdam
Regular MemberPosts: 287Gear list
Like?
Re: Will You Go Back to 2?
In reply to AccidntlTourist, Apr 9, 2013

Hi Will,

I always use the “Viewer” software for first processing of my pictures and if I have to do a little bit more to it I will use “PSP 4 pro” for editing (Not free but not to expensive)

It’s just like every software update, you have to get familiar with the options.

After working and getting familiar with the “Viewer 3” I have seen that the software works for me so I will not go back to Viewer “2”.

I use the software on Windows7 and Windows8

-- hide signature --

Groet/Regards.
Klaas

klaas-Rotterdam's gear list:klaas-Rotterdam's gear list
Olympus D-595 Zoom Olympus E-620 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 18-180mm 1:3.5-6.3 +11 more
jkrumm
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,269
Like?
In reply to Kevin Sutton, Apr 9, 2013

I like most of the changes. Seems more intuitive. But they clearly have the same underlying "engine" powering the edits, as they are slow to update changes. The menu items are nice and snappy, however. The fact that it remembers edits is great. It's good to see they have some folks still putting work into this.

-- hide signature --

John Krumm
Juneau, AK

OlyChamp
Senior MemberPosts: 4,422Gear list
Like?
System Requirements
In reply to AussieAndo, Apr 9, 2013

Would it also be fair to say that if using XP the software will lag because that specific system has a graphics card that is old and slower and also the Viewer 3 is geared for a system that has a 1Gb + RAM requirement and faster processor?

I have Viewer 2 on my system but never use it (All processing done using Picasa3) so can someone sell me the reason to use either version please?

Thane

-- hide signature --

The digital image is a dozen or so words
positioned carefully to paint a picture
that challenges the eye
and tricks the mind
into thinking, light is a title
and the palette a taste bud
worth tasting.

OlyChamp's gear list:OlyChamp's gear list
Olympus E-500 Olympus E-620 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 +2 more
jkrumm
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,269
Like?
Re: System Requirements
In reply to OlyChamp, Apr 9, 2013

The basic reason to use Viewer is to have a way to make in-camera jpegs from raw after the fact, including the art filters. It also allows further raw editing while keeping the out-of-camera look. And if you shoot a different aspect ratio on the new cameras like the EM5, you can change it in Viewer (Lightroom just shows the raw as the chosen ratio with no option to change it back).

-- hide signature --

John Krumm
Juneau, AK

OlyChamp
Senior MemberPosts: 4,422Gear list
Like?
Re: System Requirements
In reply to jkrumm, Apr 9, 2013

Thanks for that mate  I wasn't aware of that process with RAW.  Sounds like a lot of work., do I have the time??

Thane

-- hide signature --

The digital image is a dozen or so words
positioned carefully to paint a picture
that challenges the eye
and tricks the mind
into thinking, light is a title
and the palette a taste bud
worth tasting.

OlyChamp's gear list:OlyChamp's gear list
Olympus E-500 Olympus E-620 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 +2 more
Gregm61
Forum ProPosts: 13,969Gear list
Like?
Re: How about tethered shooting ?
In reply to Baladam, Apr 10, 2013

Baladam wrote:

I wonder if it is available on Viewer 3 .

Forget it. Nope.

-- hide signature --

"There's shadows in life, baby.." Jack Horner- Boogie Nights

Gregm61's gear list:Gregm61's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 +10 more
Rolfens
Junior MemberPosts: 42Gear list
Like?
In reply to goblin, 8 months ago

Software isn't exactly Olympus' thing, is it? And I don't mean PC software only...

Still gets the job done, essentially, like the camera. I don't understand people who think that this is aimed at competing or luring them away from other more advanced (and paid) products. It's a freebie to make sure that you have all you need to get started.

Rolfens's gear list:Rolfens's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2
Kevin Sutton
Contributing MemberPosts: 738Gear list
Like?
My original complaint has been fixed now...
In reply to Rolfens, 8 months ago

Hi

The updates to version 3 have included transfer of EXIF data in 16-bit mode.

Thanks to Olympus for listening and fixing it.

Cheers Kevin 

Kevin Sutton's gear list:Kevin Sutton's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 7-14mm 1:4.0 Olympus Zuiko Digital 2.0x Teleconverter EC-20 +13 more
Pete_CSCS
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,082Gear list
Like?
I just noticed this last night
In reply to Kevin Sutton, 8 months ago

Kevin Sutton wrote:

Hi

The updates to version 3 have included transfer of EXIF data in 16-bit mode.

Thanks to Olympus for listening and fixing it.

Cheers Kevin

I started working with 16-bit files in Viewer 3 until I noticed that the metadata was stripped, so I switched to saving files as Exif-TIFF which are only 8-bit. I've kept Viewer abreast with the latest updates but it wasn't until last night when I went back to using the 16-bit files that I noticed the EXIF info was put back into the file. Yea!

Didn't realize it was a past update. Was wondering if I was hallucinating.  

I'm only using Oly Viewer 3 for the RAW conversion and the automatic distortion correction with my 12-40mm f/2.8. I've only started working with RAW files recently. Since so many users over the years have complimented Master/Studio/Viewer for it's conversion ability while complaining about the clunckiness of the software, I've been doing all the editing in my main program, PSP X6 Ultimate.

-- hide signature --

'When nothing seems to help, I go and look at a stonecutter hammering away at
his rock perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it.
Yet at the hundred and first blow it will split in two,
and I know it was not that blow that did it,
but all that had gone before.'
-- Jacob Riis (1849 - 1914)

Stay Well,
Pete K.

Pete_CSCS's gear list:Pete_CSCS's gear list
Kodak EasyShare Z612 Olympus E-500 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +5 more
fcheh
Regular MemberPosts: 195Gear list
Like?
Re: I just noticed this last night
In reply to Pete_CSCS, 8 months ago

I have been using both V2 and V3 the later is much improved version with a better interface and much faster. BUT they left out e-Portrait bummer if you wanted to post process. As previously stated before there IS a difference in processing RAW & JPG between V3 and LR5 even after they added a profile for Olympus (Natural). If V2 had a copyright capability I would be a happy camper:)

-- hide signature --
 fcheh's gear list:fcheh's gear list
Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 7-14mm 1:4.0 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads