Does Win 8 support long path names?

Started Apr 6, 2013 | Discussions
glasswave
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,628
Like?
Does Win 8 support long path names?
Apr 6, 2013

If so, that would be reason enough to upgrade, despite Metro.

I am so sick and tired of Fuc%&*$ Windows FUC#%$^**^% up my data management with this  asenhine error. Furthermore, it does not allow you to easily figure f*^&*^^&* out what files got f'd up so you basically have to start over and if you are doing a cut and paste and hit cancel, it cancels the copy, but allows the deletion. Finally, why the hell doesn't it warn you if you make too long a path name rather that just screwing you over later! Hell, it could just warn you as the copy prepares to comense and give you a reasonable choice about what to do.

I know I can use a backup program, but who wants to do this for every fricken time the organize data! If the a decent file manager that can replace win exploer that deals with tis SH&%!???

-- hide signature --

There is simply too much beauty in the world to photograph it all, but I'm trying.

AwkwardSwine
Contributing MemberPosts: 575
Like?
Re: Does Win 8 support long path names?
In reply to glasswave, Apr 7, 2013

This has been supported in windows since at least Windows 95.  Certainly XP or later should have full and complete ability to use long path names in all parts of the file system and UI.  Xcopy, Explorer, or built in backup in Windows (xp -> 8) all support long paths by default.

I suspect your problems are related to some utility or backup system that is not using long path names correctly.  Perhaps you could explain your process and where the problems are showing up?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
CSMR
Regular MemberPosts: 460
Like?
In reply to AwkwardSwine, Apr 7, 2013

In Win7 the path name limit in explorer was 260 characters. I don't know if this is still a problem in Win8.

migibson99
Regular MemberPosts: 211
Like?

Dude, you need to chill out.  You're getting way to worked up about this.

Sean Nelson
Forum ProPosts: 10,249
Like?
In reply to migibson99, Apr 7, 2013

migibson99 wrote:

I understand his frustration.   For example if you're copying a DVD folder structure or unpacking a zip file into to a nested directory on your hard drive, it may take quite a long time to copy a ton of files before the system hits the one that exceeds the path length and dies on you.

One solution is to do the copy into the root folder of the target drive, then try to simply move the results into the folder you want.   If the move fails, you've still got all the files and you can choose a different folder to move them into.

If you know a scripting language like PowerShell then it's fairly easy to find the longest pathname in a folder structure.   For example, if you have a DVD in your "D:" drive that you're planning to copy, you can use this PowerShell command to get the name and length of the file with the longest path name:

get-childitem d: -recurse | foreach { $_.FullName } | sort length | select -last 1 | foreach {
write-host "Longest path is:" $_.Length "characters"; write-host "Longest name is:" $_ }

For example, if this shows you that the longest path name on the DVD drive is 200 characters, then you won't be able to copy it into a hard drive folder whose full path is more than 60 characters long (200 + 60 = 260, the path limit).

glasswave
Like?
In reply to migibson99, Apr 7, 2013

migibson99 wrote:

You may consider lost data nothing to get worked up about, I consider my time and effort to download or produce data to be important.

In another case a 12 hour back up was completely screwed up and had to be redone. I work on deadline and this kind of hitch to my work flow costs $$$.

-- hide signature --

There is simply too much beauty in the world to photograph it all, but I'm trying.

Scott Eaton
Senior MemberPosts: 1,930
Like?

Dug around MS technet, and can't see any differences in file path limits that are any different in Win8 -vs- Win7 or Vista.

Usually what happens is an OS or application that isn't Windows creates the long paths, and then Windows barfs when it tries to parse it. Hackers will sometimes do this with some fancy API commands within windows to keep AV software from reading their code. Also, not all applications can read the full 260 character limit, Cough - Crystal Reports - cough.

ClintB
Forum MemberPosts: 71
Like?
In reply to Scott Eaton, Apr 9, 2013

NTFS itself supports path names up to, IIRC, 32,768 characters. It's actually Windows Explorer that barfs on paths longer than 255 characters.

lemon_juice
Contributing MemberPosts: 755
Like?
In reply to glasswave, Jun 4, 2013

glasswave wrote:

I am so sick and tired of Fuc%&*$ Windows FUC#%$^**^% up my data management with this  asenhine error. Furthermore, it does not allow you to easily figure f*^&*^^&* out what files got f'd up so you basically have to start over and if you are doing a cut and paste and hit cancel, it cancels the copy, but allows the deletion...

You should know that all this stuff is too unf^(&1*%ly boring for MS to do anything about it. Yes, Metro, uhm, the Modern UI, the Mobile, the Touch are what MS are putting all of their force to right now.

Want explorer to handle long names for you? It won't but MS will soon add the option of resizing the tiles on the start screen.

Windows f*&^ed up your data and you wish MS would release a fix? No, won't happen but as a consolation in Windows 8.1 you will be able to choose any picture as a wallpaper on your start screen between the tiles.

You wish you didn't have to use 3rd party programs just to work around OS bugs? Well, you'll have to continue doing so but your days will be soon happier because in Windows 8.1 you will be able to run a slide show of your family pictures on your Lock screen!

Still not happy? Don't worry, with the new Windows 8(.1) you'll soon learn what Mobility for the Enterprise means so you'll be able to quit whatever you do now and become a businessman who cannot help but succeed with the new mobile, flexible, powerful, modern, touchy MS tablets and the powerful Apps for your business. This will mean you'll be sitting in the park and watching your millions grow by the minute as presented by the colourful and hypnotising bars on the chart of your "Path To Success" app that you bought in the MS store for a few bucks.

-- hide signature --

Michal.

glasswave
Like?
In reply to lemon_juice, Jun 6, 2013

lemon_juice wrote:

glasswave wrote:

I am so sick and tired of Fuc%&*$ Windows FUC#%$^**^% up my data management with this  asenhine error. Furthermore, it does not allow you to easily figure f*^&*^^&* out what files got f'd up so you basically have to start over and if you are doing a cut and paste and hit cancel, it cancels the copy, but allows the deletion...

You should know that all this stuff is too unf^(&1*%ly boring for MS to do anything about it. Yes, Metro, uhm, the Modern UI, the Mobile, the Touch are what MS are putting all of their force to right now.

Want explorer to handle long names for you? It won't but MS will soon add the option of resizing the tiles on the start screen.

Windows f*&^ed up your data and you wish MS would release a fix? No, won't happen but as a consolation in Windows 8.1 you will be able to choose any picture as a wallpaper on your start screen between the tiles.

You wish you didn't have to use 3rd party programs just to work around OS bugs? Well, you'll have to continue doing so but your days will be soon happier because in Windows 8.1 you will be able to run a slide show of your family pictures on your Lock screen!

Still not happy? Don't worry, with the new Windows 8(.1) you'll soon learn what Mobility for the Enterprise means so you'll be able to quit whatever you do now and become a businessman who cannot help but succeed with the new mobile, flexible, powerful, modern, touchy MS tablets and the powerful Apps for your business. This will mean you'll be sitting in the park and watching your millions grow by the minute as presented by the colourful and hypnotising bars on the chart of your "Path To Success" app that you bought in the MS store for a few bucks.

Wow lemon, that rant was even more aceribic than mine!

Thanks

-- hide signature --

milos198
Junior MemberPosts: 31
Like?
In reply to glasswave, 9 months ago

I am developing alternative for Windows Explorer for this and many more reasons. If any of you have other explorer related frustrations please let me know so I can fix and implement it in my program.

Comparison of Windows explorer, bitCommander (my) and OSX Finder

JeanneMarieR
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
In reply to Sean Nelson, 8 months ago

Sean Nelson wrote:

get-childitem d: -recurse | foreach { $_.FullName } | sort length | select -last 1 | foreach {

write-host "Longest path is:" $_.Length "characters"; write-host "Longest name is:" $_ }

For example, if this shows you that the longest path name on the DVD drive is 200 characters, then you won't be able to copy it into a hard drive folder whose full path is more than 60 characters long (200 + 60 = 260, the path limit).

I was thrilled to find your solution because yours looked like it would help the person trying to find a needle in a haystack. But not quite. Win 8.1 Powershell doesn't seem to be able to work with a long name at all:

• PS C:\Users\Jeanne> invoke-history
    c:\users\jeanne\desktop\findlongfilenames.ps1
    get-childitem : The specified path, file name, or both are too long. The fully qualified file name must be less than 260 characters, and the directory name must be less than 248 characters.
    At C:\users\jeanne\desktop\findlongfilenames.ps1:5 char:1
    + get-childitem f:\zArchives-Personal: -recurse | foreach { $_.FullName } | sort l ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : ReadError: (F:\zArchives-Pe...13Oct\Documents:String) [Get-ChildItem], PathTooLongException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : DirIOError,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.GetChildItemCommand
    PS C:\Users\Jeanne>

So the script seems to just help you identify names that are *almost* too long but not quite. Worth keeping for future ref., of course.

Any hope? any ideas?

Thanks for taking a look (and for getting me finally to try Powershell),

Jeanne

aliceten
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
In reply to JeanneMarieR, 8 months ago

Well, you can use Long Path Tool for such issues, it works good.

Sean Nelson
Forum ProPosts: 10,249
Like?
In reply to JeanneMarieR, 8 months ago

JeanneMarieR wrote:

Sean Nelson wrote:

I was thrilled to find your solution because yours looked like it would help the person trying to find a needle in a haystack. But not quite. Win 8.1 Powershell doesn't seem to be able to work with a long name at all:

• PS C:\Users\Jeanne> invoke-history
    c:\users\jeanne\desktop\findlongfilenames.ps1
    get-childitem : The specified path, file name, or both are too long. The fully qualified file name must be less than 260 characters, and the directory name must be less than 248 characters.
    At C:\users\jeanne\desktop\findlongfilenames.ps1:5 char:1
    + get-childitem f:\zArchives-Personal: -recurse | foreach { $_.FullName } | sort l ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : ReadError: (F:\zArchives-Pe...13Oct\Documents:String) [Get-ChildItem], PathTooLongException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : DirIOError,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.GetChildItemCommand
    PS C:\Users\Jeanne>

Are you saying that Get-Childitem gives you an error when returning the name of a file that's already been successfully stored on a disk?  That's bizarre...

I Googled the error and found this, which seems to imply that this is a Windows 8 issue and could work in Windows 7.  I guess that's another reason to avoid upgrading...

JeanneMarieR
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
In reply to Sean Nelson, 8 months ago

Sean Nelson wrote:

Are you saying that Get-Childitem gives you an error when returning the name of a file that's already been successfully stored on a disk? That's bizarre...

Yup. At the end of the day, I just copied a few directories one at a time. When I hit an error, drilled down, one subdirectory at a time.... Well, you get the pic. Eventually I found the culprit. I thought I would end up changing one or more directory names, at least temporarily. But it turned out to be one particularly long name assigned by Kindle. It was a fairly deep path, but that wasn't the main issue.

But this was personal stuff on a home office computer, a haystack but not the biggest ever, and "work" that could be put off as long as nec. I can imagine how bad this could get in a different context.

I Googled the error and found this, which seems to imply that this is a Windows 8 issue and could work in Windows 7.  I guess that's another reason to avoid upgrading...

I bought this computer at the end of 2013 and I got thisclose to buying a Win 7 computer. But I decided that I'd be trading one set of headaches for another. For me, I'll just continue working around the OS. I've been doing it since... well, more info than you need.

Thanks, Sean, for taking a moment,

Jeanne

milos198
Junior MemberPosts: 31
Like?
In reply to JeanneMarieR, 7 months ago

It is an improvisation but it might work. Type in command line:

subst x: c:\Folder\folder\folderDeeper

then the files within will be just in x:\

aliceten
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
In reply to milos198, 7 months ago

Well, for such issues, you can use Long Path Tool, it works well.

anthonyk1
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
In reply to glasswave, 2 months ago

Hello,

Are you looking for best software for Long Path files? Or simply looking easy copy or delete software for Long Path files?

Here is the solution, simply download new Long Path Tool software that simply allows you to work easily on Long Path files.

Thank you.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads