Started Apr 6, 2013 | Discussions
VadiV
Regular MemberPosts: 214Gear list
Like?
Birds in flight and Super Zooms
Apr 6, 2013

VadiV

Thanks,

Is it a limitation of point and zoom cameras ? or the super zoom owners never attempt this situation ? I am going to post this question in both FZ200 and Canon forums since I like to own both these cameras.

I am impressed with some of the bird photos captured by FZ200 and SX50 , and planning to buy eitherSX50 or FZ200.  I see very few good resolution "in flight" photos.

Friends,

VadiV's gear list:VadiV's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Fujifilm X-S1 Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon D90 +4 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
VadiV
Like?
Re: Birds in flight and Super Zooms
In reply to VadiV, Apr 6, 2013

VadiV

Thanks,

Is it a limitation of point and zoom cameras ? or the super zoom owners never attempt this situation ? I am going to post this question in both FZ200 and Canon forums since I like to own both these cameras.

I am impressed with some of the bird photos captured by FZ200 and SX50 , and planning to buy eitherSX50 or FZ200.  I see very few good resolution "in flight" photos.

Friends,

My cut and paste did not work last time,

Canon PowerShot G12 Fujifilm X-S1 Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon D90 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
saycheese
Regular MemberPosts: 389Gear list
Like?
In reply to VadiV, Apr 6, 2013

Might be that the majority here are in the Northern hemisphere and it's too cold to play around trying to catch that perfect 'in flight' shot. Or maybe you're right, but please don't encourage the twitchers, we have enough shots of birds on feeders without widening the parameters to flight, diving, swimming etc. I dread to think how many guests have felt like slashing their wrists because they were too polite to say no to viewing the SX50 owners photo albums, per volume!

-- hide signature --

Julian
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Canon SX50, Olympus C5050z, Batteries, Lens Cloth, Neckstrap, polo mints, bus money.
Frodsham Panoramic

saycheese's gear list:saycheese's gear list
Olympus Stylus 790 SW Olympus C-5050 Zoom Canon PowerShot SX50 HS
Jay7h
Regular MemberPosts: 108
Like?
In reply to saycheese, Apr 6, 2013

I got this shot with a SX 40 using partial zoom. (304 mm)

saycheese
Regular MemberPosts: 389Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jay7h, Apr 6, 2013

told you so!

-- hide signature --

Julian
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Canon SX50, Olympus C5050z, Batteries, Lens Cloth, Neckstrap, polo mints, bus money.
Frodsham Panoramic

saycheese's gear list:saycheese's gear list
Olympus Stylus 790 SW Olympus C-5050 Zoom Canon PowerShot SX50 HS
Peter Berglund
Forum MemberPosts: 91Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jay7h, Apr 6, 2013
No text.
 Peter Berglund's gear list:Peter Berglund's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX210 IS
Peter Berglund
Forum MemberPosts: 91Gear list
Like?
In reply to Peter Berglund, Apr 6, 2013

This was captured using an SX210 on maximum zoom (14x28=392). ISO 80, 1/400, jpg. Almost no post- processing since I haven't got into RAW and DPP yet. It doesn't stack up against pics taken by better photographer and with better gear, but it made me happy to be able to catch a bird in flight.

-- hide signature --

Peter

Peter Berglund's gear list:Peter Berglund's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX210 IS
VadiV
Like?
In reply to Peter Berglund, Apr 7, 2013

Thanks for the suggestions. Obviously, there is some advantage of using DSLR and expensive lens in BIF photography but that needs lot of money. I have a DSLR and Super zooms but have not able to capture BIF.I realize that I need to do some learning before buying another gadget.

Thanks,

VadiV

Michael Thomas002
Junior MemberPosts: 34Gear list
Like?
In reply to saycheese, Apr 7, 2013

saycheese wrote:

Might be that the majority here are in the Northern hemisphere and it's too cold to play around trying to catch that perfect 'in flight' shot. Or maybe you're right, but please don't encourage the twitchers, we have enough shots of birds on feeders without widening the parameters to flight, diving, swimming etc. I dread to think how many guests have felt like slashing their wrists because they were too polite to say no to viewing the SX50 owners photo albums, per volume!

-- hide signature --

Julian
Frodsham Panoramic

LOL.  Is there some photographic effort you would much rather view, saycheese?  After all, we are here to please you.  

Michael Thomas002's gear list:Michael Thomas002's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +2 more
MurryG
Senior MemberPosts: 2,643Gear list
Like?
In reply to VadiV, Apr 7, 2013

I ususally don't shoot birds but here a few from yesterday I took with my SX50 using the sports mode and processed in PSCS5.  I'll have to leave the IDs to the bird experts.

finders keepers

against the flow

over the rocks

this one is especially for "Saycheese" :0)

Life Flight -- a different kind of bird

Cartch of the day

Akk the photos were taken at the spillway at Lake Livingston near Livingston, Texas from the gazebo on Recreation Road 5 just off FM1988.

Murry

-- hide signature --
 MurryG's gear list:MurryG's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS
Ron Somerville
Forum MemberPosts: 65
Like?
In reply to MurryG, Apr 7, 2013

Nice Murry!

The 2nd shot looks like a nice mural.

Mark B.
Forum ProPosts: 14,737
Like?

I would not say it can't be done, but it would be more challenging with a superzoom for 2 reasons - autofocus speed & tracking, and frame rate.  I don't think my keeper rate would be as good with a supezoom as it is with my 7D.

Mark

Augustin Man
Senior MemberPosts: 3,464Gear list
Like?

Please check out here some achievements of our friend Stephen Ingraham:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/50959029

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51148220

and, above all, this:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51000018

Conclusions are up to you !

Happy shooting,

Augustin

Augustin Man's gear list:Augustin Man's gear list
Olympus SP-810 UZ Nikon Coolpix P510 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS
VadiV
Like?
In reply to MurryG, Apr 7, 2013

Nice work, and thanks for sharing the beautiful photos. I noticed most of them were captured at or above 1/1000 shutter speed. So good light is ver What type focusing or any other settings in menu is appropriate for BIF shots.

Thanks for your help,

VadiV

VadiV
Like?

VadiV

Thanks for your help,

What type of focusing or any other menu setting ( continuous AF ...e ct ) is appropriate for BIF shots.

Nice work, and thanks for sharing the beautiful photos. I noticed most of them were captured at or above 1/1000 shutter speed. So good light is very important.

MurryG
Senior MemberPosts: 2,643Gear list
Like?
In reply to VadiV, Apr 8, 2013

Good light is never a bad thing   Like I said I really don't shoot birds very often so I just dialed in the Sports Mode and let the camera do its thing.  I'm sure in dim light my keeper rate would have suffered or maybe I couldn't have gotten any of these shots?  The few that I did shoot in Tv mode @ 1/500 in RAW were not as clear as the ones in the Sports Mode and I didn't keep them.  Maybe next time I'll do a little more playing with the settings?

Murry

-- hide signature --
 MurryG's gear list:MurryG's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads